Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Snooker Championship 2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

raclle wrote: »
    Repeat of the 2015 final which was really good. I think it was 15-15 at one stage and Bingham won the last 3 frames

Aye.

I just hope that the Bingham that played McGill shows up anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,965 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

tanko wrote: »
    Jaysus Murphy talks some rubbish.

Ah he was even more excited than usual, like a big kid.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭eric hoone

Surprising semifinalists going by the pre-tournament odds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭weemcd

tanko wrote: »
    Jaysus Murphy talks some rubbish.

I concur

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,281 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Standard was woeful tonight.

Shame Bingham isn’t on the other side of the draw, would really fancy him to beat Murphy or Wilson.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Assuming Selby would have beaten Wilson in the final, Selby would have 4 and be back this year as defending champion aiming for his 5th.
    To tie with Ronnie on 5.

And if O’Sullivan didn’t miss that pink to the middle in the ‘14 final he’d be on 7 titles and Selby on 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭waynescales1

I think all 4 semi finalists have the game to beat any other on their day. But Selby’s reliability, consistency and composure under pressure are all greater than those of the other 3 combined. He’s the hot favourite for sure.

What time is the afternoon session kicking off at?

One table at the Crucible. Can't be bate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

Coverage starts at 1pm, so a couple of minutes after that

Coverage starts at 1pm, so a couple of minutes after that

I can never trust the Beeb with that sort of timing.

It wouldn't surprise me if they decide to look back at a second round afternoon session for some unknown reason while live snooker is on.

Cheers. Will make sure to move the office into the sitting room for lunch then :)

• Advertisement

Some long pot to open this break and frame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Thought I'd tune into the BBC for the first time this championship to see what I'm missing. Those promos they do with the players turning thier heads from left to right or down to up in a darkened room are so naff. I don't know why the players agree to do that kind of stuff.

Selby hasn't settled at all. This second frame has been strewn with errors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭dobman88

AllForIt wrote: »
    Thought I'd tune into the BBC for the first time this championship to see what I'm missing. Those promos they do with the players turning thier heads from left to right or down to up in a darkened room are so naff. I don't know why the players agree to do that kind of stuff.

They're for the casual fan so they can rattle off all the stats to their mates. Selby won it in year x, Binghams first semi since year x etc etc. Same with half the "stats". Barry Hearn is a.genius tbf. Put up all the stats and info so lads down the pub look like they know what they're on about. He did the same with the darts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭spurshero

Some yellow . Deserved it after that. Looked nervous selby . Like he thinks the tournament is his to lose after trump and Robertson knocked out yesterday .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭weemcd

spurshero wrote: »
    Some yellow . Deserved it after that. Looked nervous selby . Like he thinks the tournament is his to lose after trump and Robertson knocked out yesterday .

Selby can probably play poor and win this match. Bingham will probably have to play to his absolute best for the entirety of the match to win.

Imo.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭beertons

What a red. And to miss the whole pack for a colour. Deadly

I don't get this cushion problem thing. Is it a new cloth that is causing the probem or have they installed new cushions and why would they do that if they take time to break in. What's wrong the cushions they used yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

Bingham doing too much complaining and sulking...needs to get on with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,525 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I don't get this cushion problem thing. Is it a new cloth that is causing the probem or have they installed new cushions and why would they do that if they take time to break in. What's wrong the cushions they used yesterday.

I think it's a completely new table/setup.
    Even if it's not and they are using one of the 'old' tables, then clearly two of the players won't ever have played on it (you play your first 3 matches exclusively on either table 1 or table 2)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭raclle

Its the same thing nearly every year. There's always an issue when they do this. Is there any reason they cant just leave the tables the way they are or put the table together at least a week before the semi's and test the thing at least

raclle wrote: »
    Its the same thing nearly every year. There's always an issue when they do this. Is there any reason they cant just leave the tables the way they are or put the table together at least a week before the semi's and test the thing at least

yeah just get a few lads to push the semi-final table over into the middle :pac:

Apparenlty they are playing with a new set of balls as well. I can't see any necessity for new balls already, it's not tennis. Unless they polish them or something, I dunno. New cue ball, or is it old cue ball, seems to have made a difference now.

Have to say I've never been a fan of Bingham, always has a sulky, hard done by look on him.

There was a really telling piece at the mid session interval. Interview with Shaun Murphy.
    Says he 'Myself and others had a long talk about my game'

I assume it was that they would gee him up and say come on etc.

But no.

He continued 'We realised that my best days of snooker were long behind me and I would just have to accept it'

--

This annoyed me because it is obvious he still has the high enough quality game, when he knuckles down.

Murphy is 38 and resigned to the odd good day out it seems.

But I cannot help contrast this with Bingham who is 44 and plays with the freshness of a young lad at the crucible.

Have to say I've never been a fan of Bingham, always has a sulky, hard done by look on him.

Jayus I think the exact opposite really jovial easy going fella. Probably why he has not won more.
    Not ruthless.

He seems to appreciate how fortunate he is to be a snooker player. And gives it a lash.
    That is the vibe I get from him anyway.

Never seemed 'hard down by' in interviews.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Yea I'd struggle to think of a more cheerful guy than Bingham! In terms of the table, they just move table 1 into the middle for the latter stages and recloth it. Not sure if they replace the cushion rubbers though.

Jayus I think the exact opposite really jovial easy going fella. Probably why he has not won more.
    Not ruthless.

He seems to appreciate how fortunate he is to be a snooker player. And gives it a lash.
    That is the vibe I get from him anyway.

Never seemed 'hard down by' in interviews.

Im not talking about him off the table Im talking about him on the table.

Constantly has a sulky look when things don't go his way, head shaking and complaining all the time.

yeah just get a few lads to push the semi-final table over into the middle :pac:

Apparenlty they are playing with a new set of balls as well. I can't see any necessity for new balls already, it's not tennis. Unless they polish them or something, I dunno. New cue ball, or is it old cue ball, seems to have made a difference now.

It always makes me laugh how techy the pro snooker players go on about 'conditions' over the slightest thing.

It must be years since they played on a table that needed a few beer mats to level it out, few beer stains on the cloth, a few tears here and there, maybe a cigarette burn, a dodgy roll off on one side that you had to account for, a very slow cloth, chips in the balls, a cue from the rack that is more akin to a boomerang....
    Oh not to mention a light over the table. If it is working would blind you and give you a sunburn!

Molly coddled, they all are!

Im not talking about him off the table Im talking about him on the table.

Constantly has a sulky look when things don't go his way, head shaking and complaining all the time.

Ah right I see. That is a snooker thing isn't it?

It in their contract to make a few faces/shapes for the obligatory montague at the end of the tournament? :D

There was a really telling piece at the mid session interval. Interview with Shaun Murphy.
    Says he 'Myself and others had a long talk about my game'

I assume it was that they would gee him up and say come on etc.

But no.

He continued 'We realised that my best days of snooker were long behind me and I would just have to accept it'

--

This annoyed me because it is obvious he still has the high enough quality game, when he knuckles down.

Murphy is 38 and resigned to the odd good day out it seems.

But I cannot help contrast this with Bingham who is 44 and plays with the freshness of a young lad at the crucible.

In his very next sentence he said that actually his best days might not be behind him!

• Advertisement

In his very next sentence he said that actually his best days might not be behind him!

Ah I missed that bit makes way more sense. So someone did have a word with him.

The problem with the Murphy fella is he does to much analysing instead of being more relaxed about it.

Touch of the Padraig Harrington's about him! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,165 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

It always makes me laugh how techy the pro snooker players go on about 'conditions' over the slightest thing.

It must be years since they played on a table that needed a few beer mats to level it out, few beer stains on the cloth, a few tears here and there, maybe a cigarette burn, a dodgy roll off on one side that you had to account for, a very slow cloth, chips in the balls, a cue from the rack that is more akin to a boomerang....
    Oh not to mention a light over the table. If it is working would blind you and give you a sunburn!

50p on the rail for the next game. They should play the WCs as a "winner stays on" format. 24 hours a day, whoever's ahead on the table at midnight on the 17th day is the champion.

loyatemu wrote: »
    50p on the rail for the next game. They should play the WCs as a "winner stays on" format. 24 hours a day, whoever's ahead on the table at midnight on the 17th day is the champion.

:D

I'd watch that!

Yeah, except if the ball is not bouncing off the custion in a consistant manner that's a valid moan. We have a pool table in one of our local pubs like that. Some bounces double the speed of the ball. It's like playing with a joke ball.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Yeah, except if the ball is not bouncing off the custion in a consistant manner that's a valid moan. We have a pool table in one of our local pubs like that. Some bounces double the speed of the ball. It's like playing with a joke ball.

Between the last time and next time you play it, the cushion might have sorted itself out.

loyatemu wrote: »

Royal Rumble style

beertons wrote: »
    Between the last time and next time you play it, the cushion might have sorted itself out.

...more likelly the bouncy spot will have moved to different location.

This is a difficult one to call, an in form Murphy could steam roll anyone so Wilson will have to be on his game..

Wilson looking good already!

Thought he clipped the paint on that last attempt, when the white went in...

Murphy playing good tactical snooker,

• Advertisement

eric hoone wrote: »
    Murphy playing good tactical snooker,

My mistake

Dale's very critical of Shaun - said Shaun wouldn't be happy/poor shots on the yellow; the both times he played safe off of it.... Yet he said nowt when Wilson missed a sitter.... Think he was blaming the table :pac:

Wilson looking unplayable at the moment, really impressed by Wilson here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,358 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Murphy needs to pull the finger out quickly, or this could get ugly. Not how I thought it would pan out. He doesn't look like himself.

sligeach wrote: »
    Murphy needs to pull the finger out quickly, or this could get ugly. Not how I thought it would pan out. He doesn't look like himself.

He hasn't done a lot wrong, Wilson is shutting him out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭dobman88

That's a ridiculous frame from Wilson. To clear up from the break off with pretty much zero mistakes is very impressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,005 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Murphy even just looks very antsy, uncomfortable when he’s getting down on his shots, almost like a confidence thing. 4-1 down and playing like he is won’t make him feel much better.. Wilson looks extremely confident, cueing well, taking not much time between shots, motoring well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭Augme

Could be all over after the first session for murphy at this rate.

Some great snooker by Wilson, 6-2 out of this session has to be a minimum for him from here

• Advertisement

The red to the middle pocket to clinch the frame was just beautiful.

Advertisement