Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Snooker Championship 2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

sligeach wrote: »
    That maybe there should be a cap on the amount of points that can be given away.

I wouldn't agree with that either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Davis doesnt like the miss rule but of course cant present an acceptable alternative. Everybody knows it isnt 100% perfect but if there was a better way, doesn't he imagine they'd have found it after all this time?

I think the miss rule is fine 90% of the time. It should only be called a miss unless the player cannot hit an alternate red easy. And is obviously trying to leave it safe.

It shouldn't be called a miss when it is impossible for the player to the ball.
    I saw once can't remember the game. The white was lodged between three reds and the player had to hit a colour. The ref still called a miss!

In the Kyren scenario I think calling a miss was very fair. It was clear Kyren started to panic. Plus the gas thing was JV said at the start it was an easier snooker to get out of than it looked.

As far as what the lads in studio said 'what if it was the last frame in the final of the world final?'

My answer to that is so what why should that make a difference? It is a similar argument they use to use for not giving pens in soccer before VAR. Refs used to bottle it and wave play on.

Plus Davis has a history with the miss rule he was the first player to lose the frame and match, by missing a red three times when there was on he could hit.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,839 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Wilson unless he does something careless is a cert for 8-3 now... should be too far for Murphy, especially given his confidence looks a bit iffy and Wilson motoring well all be it the odd dodgy positional shot.

sligeach wrote: »
    That maybe there should be a cap on the amount of points that can be given away.

I disagree with that. That means a player could calculate the risk reward of not trying too hard to hit it.

The miss rule is a good part of the game and adds a good element to it.

The player taking the shot always has the option of the hit and hope - more often than not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I the miss rule is fine 90% of the time. It should only be called a miss unless the player cannot hit an alternate red easy. And is obviously trying to leave it safe.

It shouldn't be called a miss when it is impossible for the player to the ball.
    I saw once can't remember the game. The white was lodged between three reds and the player had to hit a colour. The ref still called a miss!

In the Kyren scenario I think calling a miss was very fair. It was clear Kyren started to panic. Plus the gas thing was JV said at the start it was an easier snooker to get out of than it looked.

As far as what the lads in studio said 'what if it was the last frame in the final of the world final?'

My answer to that is so what why should that make a difference? It is a similar argument they use to use for not giving pens in soccer before VAR. Refs used to bottle it and wave play on.

Plus Davis has a history with the miss rule he was the first player to lose the frame and match, by missing a red three times when there was on he could hit.

The miss rule is as good as it can be, every suggestion i hear to "fix" it just brings other problems. In Davis suggestion of capping (it already is capped at the snookers required mark but we'll let that go) kyren would just have to play that shot up into the corner, safe position, enough times and job done. You're back to the position where a player would potentially have more incentive to keep missing. It's unworkable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,477 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

dobman88 wrote: »
    Must say I'm enjoying the current players doing a bit of punditry on BBC. Judd in studio today and Jack has been in a few times. Been nice to get the perspective of current players.

I'd say BBC feeling Eurosport breathing down their necks a bit and see the need to freshen things up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Wilson got a lucky break there. The red only just went past the green.

I'd say BBC feeling Eurosport breathing down their necks a bit and see the need to freshen things up.

I'd say there is something to that. The BBC coverage is known as been a bit overly serious. In a promo for Eurosport. Ronnie had a side dig and described the coverage as 'more fun' than the BBC.

Edit: plus as well we know what all the old heads opinions are on snooker issues at this stage. Nice to hear the younger generations talking freely and giving their take.

Dunno...lot of time i switch on the bbc in the afternoon they're having some supposedly hilarious quiz or playing some speed game on the table. A few years ago they used to do the odd very interesting and indepth feature on some aspect of the tournament or the game. I dont see too many of those anymore, think it's more and more geared towards new or casual viewers and getting big names like judd on screen makes sense in that regard. Judd looks no natural at it to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

Yeah I'd agree. Thing that bugs me about BBC is they cut coverage in the middle of a match. Like this morning, they just signed off and that was it, in the middle of a frame so I flicked over to eurosport for uninterrupted coverage.

I do prefer to watch on BBC cos too many lads on eurosport annoy me but the BBC coverage can be frustrating.

Dunno...lot of time i switch on the bbc in the afternoon they're having some supposedly hilarious quiz or playing some speed game on the table. A few years ago they used to do the odd very interesting and indepth feature on some aspect of the tournament or the game. I dont see too many of those anymore, think it's more and more geared towards new or casual viewers and getting big names like judd on screen makes sense in that regard. Judd looks no natural at it to me.

Fair point on the 'hilarious quiz'. To my shame I always enjoy them.
    Judd did sound good in the analyst chair. Seemed to enjoy it.

Even though it is 8-4 I think Murphy must be raging. Too many sloppy shots could easily have won 3 frames off Kyren in this match so far. And that is being conservative.

Had to laugh at Dominic Dale (a nice guy) said that maybe Murphy needs to get angry. As he is too much of a 'nice guy' sometimes etc.

Fair point on the 'hilarious quiz'. To my shame I always enjoy them.
    Judd did sound good in the analyst chair. Seemed to enjoy it.

Nothing wrong with it, think you need a balance on these things and maybe the restrictions are limiting the scope of what they can do anyway. I prefer the eurosport package myself but it's all down to personal preference in the end.

dobman88 wrote: »
    Yeah I'd agree. Thing that bugs me about BBC is they cut coverage in the middle of a match. Like this morning, they just signed off and that was it, in the middle of a frame so I flicked over to eurosport for uninterrupted coverage.

I do prefer to watch on BBC cos too many lads on eurosport annoy me but the BBC coverage can be frustrating.

Yeah there are pros and cons of both. Let's just say some of them are only alright in small doses...

What happened that wonderfully named 'interesting angles' thing that the BBC snooker used to do?

Where Steve 'Interesting' Davis and Alan 'Angles' McManus used to give their opinions on players in what looked like some prefab place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

ITV do the best snooker coverage imo.

Murphy has just not been consistent enough in taking the chances he’s been given... missing by his standards a fair number of easy / medium difficulty chances, safety play has been slightly careless, leaving chances on but as I type a good one there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I don't watch a huge amount of snooker, but all of the current and ex pron analysts (and they nearly all seem to have a tv gig) that I'm familiar with seem pretty good to me. I'm thinking it's a sport where you need to be able to dissect things methodically to get to the top.

zuutroy wrote: »
    ITV do the best snooker coverage imo.

Wouldn't agree with that because they don't show a single minute of the WC. For the smaller events throughout the season they are top class tbf.

Strumms wrote: »
    Murphy has just not been consistent enough in taking the chances he’s been given... missing by his standards a fair number of easy / medium difficulty chances, safety play has been slightly careless, leaving chances on but as I type a good one there.

I can't see Murphy getting a run of 3 frames which is what he needs. Too bitty literally hit and miss.

Can't fault Kyren too much though except for that freak frame where he gave away over 50 points. He seems to take his chances when they are given.

But I do find it funny when Hendry is commentating on Kryen he can't hide his frustration when Kyren is not pinpoint with his positional play.
    Having to get mad pots to recover. Lisowski was making out it is an advantage because it demoralises the opponent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭Augme

Hard to see that not being the match at this stage.

If Murphy loses this frame, it's all over. He didn't, lucky though.

Badly needed that one. And the next

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Augme wrote: »
    Hard to see that not being the match at this stage.

Wilson needs 7 more frames, a lot to do, so many times I've seen big leads pegged back in this tournament, if he was 16-5 up or something then I'd get it, but this is far from over.

Badly needed that one. And the next

Barely hanging on Murphy is. No fluency. He was damn lucky Kyren did not pot that red on the rail and steal it. Hopefully it could give Murphy a spark to make a game of it.

In his matches against hawkins and gary wilson, kyren had a spell of losing 5 in a row so see no reason why same couldn't happen in a sf. Not very likely but strange things do happen here.

In his matches against hawkins and gary wilson, kyren had a spell of losing 5 in a row so see no reason why same couldn't happen in a sf. Not very likely but strange things do happen here.

I'd be shocked the Murphy is playing. Seems very tense.

Murphy with that last not too difficult safety attempt was about a foot out of position with the cue ball.

I'd be shocked the Murphy is playing. Seems very tense.

Of course it would be a shock, but kyren does have a tendency to go off the boil and for all the famed tenacity, he still doesnt have a huge history of big wins. 5-11 is a monumental hill to climb, though Ken did it against hunter in 2003.

That was some long red by Murphy.

• Advertisement

Lovely red, had to be cued spot on

Nice yellow potted as well.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Brilliant stuff by Murphy.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Last black. Deadly

Great composure from Murphy to win that frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Quality clearance from Murphy there when he absolutely needed it. Still in it.

Of course it would be a shock, but kyren does have a tendency to go off the boil and for all the famed tenacity, he still doesnt have a huge history of big wins. 5-11 is a monumental hill to climb, though Ken did it against hunter in 2003.

After me saying that in the previous post I would be shocked the way Murphy is played.
    Suddenly he rams in a long red and looks really 'keyed in'.

That yellow along the rail with rest. Really good pressure shot.

Fair play to Murphy if he can get a few consistent frames we might have a game of it.

Murphy staying with him, still some mileage left in this.

Murphy fist pumps and all delighted with himself. Great to see that determination.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

I thought tonight’s session was 7 o’clock, but it seems the BBC are saying 7:30?

Have to laugh at Ronnie on Eurosport. I prefer being about two frames behind at this stage. It is easier chasing. 'The other geezer has it all to do' :D

He mightnt win it but he can still ask some questions of kyren. We know kyren is good but he's not ronnie or selby streaking ahead of you, trundling away to the finish line. Have seen him wobble before when he approaches the jamstick, only limped into the final last year. If he goes on, keeps his foot to shauns throat, and wins it going away, then fair play, he'll have answered all those questions and then some.

I thought tonight’s session was 7 o’clock, but it seems the BBC are saying 7:30?

Says 7.00 on their own site,

https://www.bbc.com/sport/snooker/56690896

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭eric hoone

Murphy did well to draw the session 4-4 in the end he could be dangerous tomorrow...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭Augme

At this stage it's a shame for murphy the sessions ended there. In saying that though I'd say wilson will be having a bit of a nervous night tonight while murphy will be raring to go. He needs to win the first tomorrow 3-1 at least.

• Advertisement

Augme wrote: »
    At this stage it's a shame for murphy the sessions ended there. In saying that though I'd say wilson will be having a bit of a nervous night tonight while murphy will be raring to go. He needs to win the first tomorrow 3-1 at least.

They are back at 7 tonight right ?

Yep was thinking the same, Wilson wouldn’t blink if they shared the session 2-2.. 3-1 for Murphy he’s getting twitchy.

I've a funny feeling theres a lot left to Murphy-Wilson, Wilson just can't seem to pull away, four frame lead isn't a whole lot and as Ronnie said it will get twitchy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭raclle

Strumms wrote: »
    They are back at 7 tonight right ?
    Selby and Bingham at 7 tonight

Its gonna be a big ask for Murphy 4 frames behind the way he's playing at the moment. Wilson should have won that last frame really

raclle wrote: »
    Selby and Bingham at 7 tonight

Its gonna be a big ask for Murphy 4 frames behind the way he's playing at the moment. Wilson should have won that last frame really

Yeah he’s been out of sorts..very impressive in that last frame though ..

Really needs to get some consistency and momentum. Wilson be very happy with 2-2 from the next session or better, 3-1 for Wilson and Murphy all but dead in the water... 1-3 to Murphy it’s all to play for again.

Another head scratcher from the BBC. No idea why they're not showing full coverage tbh. The day eurosport goes behind a paywall will be a bad day.

• Advertisement
Advertisement