Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Snooker Championship 2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,200 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Beaut from Bingham there, i'd say that felt like a nice 'fck you' to Selby.

Ha, the face on Selby at the end there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Peter File

Selby is usually excellent at setting fiendish snookers but luckily for us he is having an off night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

I reckon Bingham only messed around trying to pot that black to annoy Selby!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭dobman88

I love how Bingham plays a few shots for the crowd when the frame is over and it really seems to annoy Selby which is fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,307 ✭✭✭tanko

Brilliant stuff, Bingham taking the mickey out of Slowby there on the black. The sour pus on Slowbys face was priceless.
    Hopefully Bingham can keep it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭dobman88

I reckon Bingham only messed around trying to pot that black to annoy Selby!

Ya beat me to it Rodney :pac:

dobman88 wrote: »
    Ya beat me to it Rodney :pac:

My name’s Dave :p

tanko wrote: »
    Alan McManus is such a clueless commentator, he said Binghams last shot was a great one even though he left Selby a pot into the middle with an angle to get on the black, he hasn't a notion what's going on.

Didn't see that... Will call that an aberration - very 'un-Angles' like, as he's one of the best pundits/analysts going.

Lampshades from Stuart! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,732 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Selby must have been practising his vulcan face.

Could you think of a less appropriate name for him than the "Jester from Leicester" - whoever christened him with that was taking the piss

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭waynescales1

This frame reminds me of when Selby played Ding in the final, and played on needing snookers for about 40 minutes, Ding won that frame eventually, but lost the remaining frames that night.

I was thinking about that. I just wonder is Selby gonna try and tire Bingham out with a few hour long frames. He knows from experience that he can outlast his opponents. In the ‘14 final they could only play 6 frames out of 8 in one session cos the frames were so protracted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,926 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Selby's long potting has been awful tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Could you think of a less appropriate name for him than the "Jester from Leicester" - whoever christened him with that was taking the piss

'The undertaker' could be a more appropriate moniker :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Suvarnabhumi

I don't think the Jester is a very appropriate nickname for Mark Selby.

Yeah Bingham has outplayed Selby in all areas of the game tonight, including safety which is impressive. Selby is gonna make sure he puts Bingham’s stamina to the test too though. 13-11 might not be a terrible outcome for this session for Bingham.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

This match has had everything.

The 63min frame was a pleasure.

As some have said, the safety play has been top drawer. How you wouldn't be drawn in by it is beyond me!

The fatigue will be really setting in now though I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Peter File

I don't think the Jester is a very appropriate nickname for Mark Selby.

It rhymes with Leicester is the only reason he has it!
    The most inappropriate nickname in snooker

What’s the most amounts of re-racks in one frame? I’m sure we’re still a good bit away from it, but just checking!

Frame 22, Take 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Peter File wrote: »

Was just going to mention this. He's never struck me as a 'gas ticket' to any degree...

• Advertisement

A couple of points...

1. Fair play JJ - as soon as he saw that Selby couldn't pot the red; straight away he said "could be another rerack"

2. Stuart asked Mark did he want a rerack. Selby said nothing. Stuart took his shot - rolled into the bunch... When he was walking back to his seat; Mark said "yeah" - Don't seem right to me, but I don't know all the rules..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

A rerack with just the blue, pink and black left in the 81 final. Dave Hendon just mentioned. Wouldn't happen today

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,030 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I seem to remember in his earlier days he was a bit more light-hearted, cracked the odd joke etc. I think he made a deliberate change which in fairness worked for him.

What's the cut-off time for starting the last frame in a session?

mewso wrote: »
    I seem to remember in his earlier days he was a bit more light-hearted, cracked the odd joke etc. I think he made a deliberate change which in fairness worked for him.

He's stuck with it now though :pac:

The "brio of youth" as the rugger scribes are wont to say..., Think he feels he has to live up to it now.. He'll get a crack or two out to justify it; though usually only when he's winning :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,965 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Brilliant stuff, Bingham taking the mickey out of Slowby there on the black. The sour pus on Slowbys face was priceless.
    Hopefully Bingham can keep it up.

Selby is currently third in the snooker average shot time list just behind ROS and Trump.

https://livescores.worldsnookerdata.com/Players/Tournament/14185/betfred-world-championship-2021

Just so you know....

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Selby is currently third in the snooker average shot time list just behind ROS and Trump.

https://livescores.worldsnookerdata.com/Players/Tournament/14185/betfred-world-championship-2021

Just so you know....

He's actually dropped to 4th since you posted that. Point still stands.

He's actually dropped to 4th since you posted that. Point still stands.

Personally I like contrast in style of play and personalities same in any sport. Makes for great contests.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,926 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

What's the cut-off time for starting the last frame in a session?

There isn't one.

Great stroke of luck for Bingham there!

<edit> oof, bad enough miss there.

• Advertisement

Personally I like contrast in style of play and personalities same in any sport. Makes for great contests.

Still annoying when he spends 20 or so seconds above and beyond for "thinking time" etc... Chalking his cue/put-on half-faked confused/bamboozled expressions/scratching his head... when the shot - which is usually a safety, that he's most likely already made his mind up on..

Those average shot-times don't always tell the whole story... He's probably fairly quick alright when he's breakbuilding...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Just so you know....

4th is really his crucible seeding but 25 seconds ast isnt really that bad, only a second or two dividing the majority of the pack is all.

If he somehow gets out of this session 3-5, i will doff my cap to the man. And wouldn't put it past him for a second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭tigerboon

Let's play "Towns Mark Selby should move to".....

Still annoying when he spends 20 or so seconds above and beyond for "thinking time" etc... Chalking his cue/put-on half-faked confused/bamboozled expressions/scratching his head... when the shot - which is usually a safety, that he's most likely already made his mind up on..

Those average shot-times don't always tell the whole story... He's probably fairly quick alright when he's breakbuilding...

It is all part of the game though. Some of it might be gamesmanship, some of iftmight be natural style, some of it might be due to pressure.

I can remember when Fergal O'Brien was competitive. I didn't care how long he took on a shot or prior to a shot. As long as he won!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,307 ✭✭✭tanko

Just so you know....

39 seconds average shot time in this session, he knows exactly what he's doing and why he's doing it. It's basically cheating, i'd love to see him lose this match but i've a feeling he'll win it.

Correct JJ, that safety selby played off the cushion was out of this world. Had no idea what he was playing, for a second i thought he was mistaking the brown for a red. Magnificent shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭Augme

39 seconds average shot time in this session, he knows exactly what he's doing and why he's doing it. It's basically cheating, i'd love to see him lose this match but i've a feeling he'll win it.

Basically cheating? Come on now.

This last frame is massive for Bingham. If it ends up all square, he’ll be very put out

• Advertisement

Ah dry your eyes.

tigerboon wrote: »
    Let's play "Towns Mark Selby should move to".....

Catterick , Hull , Maybe one in Ireland: "The Moan of Athlone" :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

Ata boy Selby, take things nice and slow and wipe the smirk of Binghams face!

Really poor from Selby there... Bingham should probably clean up from here.

Ata boy Selby, take things nice and slow and wipe the smirk of Binghams face!

Contrast is good :)

You must be one of the few on here that want Selby to win.

Mon Ballrun - would be great to take a 2 frame lead into the final session.

Selby overhitting a safety shot by so much it travels back down the table past the blue spot is something you don’t see often. I doubt he’ll do that again for another season or two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

Jesus this eurosport commentator doesn't have a clue

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭raclle

I like Selby but this session has been torture

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭raclle

Is it Johnson :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I'm watching in Dutch. The peace is wonderful

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

Contrast is good :)

You must be one of the few on here that want Selby to win.

Mon Ballrun - would be great to take a 2 frame lead into the final session.

Ah I'm only joking really!

I don't mind who wins tbh, I just like to see the best man win on the day, I'm not really a fan of anyone in particular.

• Advertisement
Advertisement