Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Snooker Championship 2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,841 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Why did Bingham not take the easier black ? Position hardly matters?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Stuart will have to kill frames in one visit tomorrow and avoid these long safety battles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Gallant_JJ wrote: »
    Jez, I'm loving this match, absorbing all night

Every minute of those 8 hours has been absorbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭testtech05

paulie21 wrote: »
    Playing on for 5 snookers good lord

I know he is good at getting safeties etc but surely 5 is pulling the p**s.

Is he just trying to keep Bingham up late?

Maybe Selby thinks he's back on at 10.00am, and wants to delay Stuart having his warm milk or cocoa :D

• Advertisement

dobman88 wrote: »
    I'm too young to have seen him in his pomp but was he as ruthless a player as he comes across on comms? When he's talking about taking on a pot and almost sighs as a player plays a safety. Would he have gone for pretty much anything in his day?

Yeah he changed the game in that direction. Was always about finishing the frame in one visit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Go to bed Selby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

I'm too young to have seen him in his pomp but was he as ruthless a player as he comes across on comms? When he's talking about taking on a pot and almost sighs as a player plays a safety. Would he have gone for pretty much anything in his day?

Yes, he was just as ruthless. In my opinion he was the greatest all round snooker player of all time.

Yes.

It's only later on I appreciated him.

That he was so often Ken's Achilles heel meant I had to hate him at the time.

testtech05 wrote: »
    I know he is good at getting safeties etc but surely 5 is pulling the p**s.

Is he just trying to keep Bingham up late?

:D Ya got there before me..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

Yes.

Let's not forget poor old Jimmy

Yes.

At least Ken got one over on him, poor Jimmy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

Cheers lads. He comes across as ruthless. Saying the other day that he always wanted to win the 1st session 6-2. And then talking about taking on pots.

I may have to have a look at YouTube.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

He was an absolute machine in his pomp but I wouldn't say he went for everything.

He certainly wouldn't make a fool of himself by coming back to the table needing 5 snookers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Cartman78

4 to go....

This has to be mind games from Selby, got one snooker now, carelessly played by Stuart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

O_O

Why isn't Bingham just going for dead-weight pots on every shot?

That's one down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Surely Bingham should have just dropped both of those two reds over the pocket? Even if he missed he would cause a headache for Selby in trying to get snooker and avoid leaving the handy reds

• Advertisement

Bingham just needs to roll the red over by the left cushion over the pocket.

If I were Bingham I'd be conceding 0 frames tomorrow.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I say it every year I can't understand why the audience laugh at commentator jokes. They have to have some kind of common sense surely. Well obviously not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

Mind games from Selby, trying to get into Bingham’s head so he has extra pressure on himself to win frames in one visit tomorrow

It's the SF of the worlds. If I'm Selby I'm gonna do what he's done.

The crowd urging on Stuart to set them free there :p

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I'm no fan of Selby's approach but I admire anyone who will do what he believes is right even if he knows almost everybody is hating it.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

The Jester from Leicester name for Selby surely contravenes the Trades Description Act

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

4 snookers to tie now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭B2021M

Yes, he was just as ruthless. In my opinion he was the greatest all round snooker player of all time.

Yes id agree with that. Look at how few years he compiled his records over. Ronnie will be still chasing him aged 46 next year!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Good shot Stuart.

B2021M wrote: »
    Yes id agree with that. Look at how few years he compiled his records over. Ronnie will be still chasing him aged 46 next year!

It's strange he didn't have the longevity of other players. Just seemed to lose something.

mewso wrote: »
    I'm no fan of Selby's approach but I admire anyone who will do what he believes is right even if he knows almost everybody is hating it.

I'm loving it.

It's just fascinating.

Pleased for Bingham, 13-11 was the very least he deserved for grit and tenacity against a tediously slow and unsporting opponent. 12-12 would have been a criminal injustice. Positive snooker wins out this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Balls to your concession, I'm playing on

• Advertisement

He should have tried that 5 minutes ago.

Absolutely nothing likable about Selby as a snooker player.

At last.....was that payback for the attempted trick shot on the final black earlier :D

Terrific stuff from Bingham there, some incredible session of snooker!

Wahaaaay!!!

Gerra good night's kip Stuart... Hope Selby's milk has gone sour for his morning cornflakes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

That was a fantastic day of snooker. A 63minute frame and a 50minute frame along with some brilliant, fast breaks. Had it all. Bingham fuly deserving of his lead so looking forward to watching tomorrow

• Advertisement

Strumms wrote: »
    He should have tried that 5 minutes ago.

Absolutely nothing likable about Selby as a snooker player.

I think he didnt want to roll them at the top of the table as so many colours were nearby for selby to snooker behind?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Mac_Lad71 wrote: »
    The Jester from Leicester name for Selby surely contravenes the Trades Description Act

The Fester from Leicester.

Pleased for Bingham, 13-11 was the very least he deserved for grit and tenacity against a tediously slow and unsporting opponent. 12-12 would have been a criminal injustice. Positive snooker wins out this evening.

This Selby narrative is gas.

4 hours this evening of snooker out of the top drawer and people still moaning.

That was a pleasure of an evening.

It's strange he didn't have the longevity of other players. Just seemed to lose something.

I think he said it was so intense (his approach) that he just couldnt continue that way

• Registered Users Posts: 12,908 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I'm wrecked after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,293 ✭✭✭tanko

Bingham should have cleared every ball there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

mewso wrote: »
    I say it every year I can't understand why the audience laugh at commentator jokes. They have to have some kind of common sense surely. Well obviously not.
    They're idiots. And the ooing and aaahing when someone knocks a ball of a cushion when it's natural angle or likewise nudging a ball for position makes me wanna get sick

This Selby narrative is gas.

4 hours this evening of snooker out of the top drawer and people still moaning.

That was a pleasure of an evening.

A real good days play... The last 20 minutes was a needless drag though, fair to comment on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

A real good days play... The last 20 minutes was a needless drag though, fair to comment on it.

Taking the p1ss a little playing on for 5 snookers at that stage. In my opinion. All part of Selby’s game.

Perhaps. But I completely disagree with the incessant moaning about Selby as the evening wore on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement