Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Snooker Championship 2021

Comments

Holy Diver wrote: »
    Taking the p1ss a little playing on for 5 snookers at that stage. In my opinion. All part of Selby’s game.

And people will fall over themselves to praise him, it was disrespectful dragging out foregone conclusion needing more than four snookers. Only for spite trying to get inside Bingham's head. "Absorbing" my hole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Taking the p1ss a little playing on for 5 snookers at that stage. In my opinion. All part of Selby’s game.

Yeah, was definitely an element of trying to suck a little bit of joy out of Bingham's session victory... not sure it'll have worked though, I'm sure when Bingham did knock in that final red it'll have felt great. If anything, it may even be an extra little boost psychological for him, knowing just how much he'd unsteadied Selby for him to pull a stunt like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Mind games from Selby, trying to get into Bingham’s head so he has extra pressure on himself to win frames in one visit tomorrow

This is it, not great to watch that last frame drag out but I love Selby for this kinda stuff, the mental battle is all part of it

This Selby narrative is gas.

4 hours this evening of snooker out of the top drawer and people still moaning.

That was a pleasure of an evening.

We enjoy moaning - perversely, it's a pleasurable posttime :p We can still enjoy the long drawn-out frames, while remarking on how some players take liberties with their dawdling over shot selections..

That being said, there's not many like Selby out there.... Anyone who beats a top of his game Selby deserves to win...

Too many frames over in one visit in a match is far less engrossing than one where 1/3 plus are in the melting-pot with safety exchanges/pressure getting to players... missing easy ones etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Taking the p1ss a little playing on for 5 snookers at that stage.

Well Murphy picked up 53 points from a single snooker earlier on...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭volono

He did indeed but that was foul AND a miss.
    Can't do that when your in the X amount of snookers required stage.
    Complete pisstake from Selby there, ridiculous tbf
    I've said it before, he's the most negative player I've ever seen, here's hoping Bingham wins the first few frames tomorrow so that it's basically over.
    He moaned and moaned last year about Ronnie in the semi final.
    So what are the other 127 players on tour suppose to do, vetted sucked into playing his completely negative 2 minutes a shot game, is that not total gamesmanship??.
    Then you have the commentators calling it grit and granite
    You could almost feel Hendry was going to call it out on him this evening.....he should have!!!
    Can't stand the sight of him.

Apples and Oranges - squared :p

One - it was the start of the frame
    Two - he wasn't playing for snookers... He'd already gotten the snooker :D

And it wasn't as if Kyren had a difficult escape - he just wanted to hit a red that would leave him in a good safety position..

And just to add - it was a perfectly valid use of the 'miss' rule.. The way Hazel was going on asking Steve and Judd; it was as if Wilson had no other red to aim for..

The game is called snooker... Don't know what the issue was - I reckon if Wilson had put Smurph in that position, the topic wouldn't have been brought up :rolleyes: "Is it fair that a player can win just by getting a good snooker/foul points?" "Should there be a limit on how many points a player can gain from a snooker?"... Possibly yes to the latter methinks, but that would have to be trialled first before it's (if it is) brought in..

Exactly Leffesem,
    Totally different scenario, Wilson had numerous avenues to play to get out of that snooker. It's actually surprising imo that before it got to the snookers required stage he didn't just bash and hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭mattser

Haven't been following it like I used to. Am I correct in saying the last 4 are UK ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

That was enjoyable if exhausting stuff.

I think the referee was a wee bit out of order there with the clock warning.
    He said 'its been over three minutes' when it was actually just approaching 2.30. If he's decided that 3 minutes is his cut-off point for a warning then imo he has a duty to be very accurate about it.
    Selby was faced with a staggeringly difficult shot and I don't think it was the occasion for the referee to get involved. There are times Selby takes too long, but really didn't think this was one of them.

6-2 a deserved outcome for Bingham and looking in 2015 form. He definitely got the ballrun at some key moments though, especially in the latter stages of the 63 minuter.

Looking forward to session 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

He said 'its been over three minutes' when it was actually just approaching 2.30. If he's decided that 3 minutes is his cut-off point for a warning then imo he has a duty to be very accurate about it.
    Selby was faced with a staggeringly difficult shot and I don't think it was the occasion for the referee to get involved. There are times Selby takes too long, but really didn't think this was one of them.

6-2 a deserved outcome for Bingham and looking in 2015 form. He definitely got the ballrun at some key moments though, especially in the latter stages of the 63 minuter.

The shot clock on the BBC was at 2:50 when the ref warned him

mattser wrote: »
    Haven't been following it like I used to. Am I correct in saying the last 4 are UK ?

Indeed, all English actually, unless you want to claim
    Seán Ó Murchú as one of ours:P

mattser wrote: »

Yep, and the first time in a long while that three former winners have been in the semi-final stages... Can't remember when it was, but comms mentioned it a couple of days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭B2021M

Yep, and the first time in a long while that three former winners have been in the semi-final stages... Can't remember when it was, but comms mentioned it a couple of days ago.

1988 i think

B2021M wrote: »
    1988 i think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭mattser

Thanks folks. I'll be glued to it for the next few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

The shot clock on the BBC was at 2:50 when the ref warned him

I rewound it back on Eurosport and its at exactly 2.38 as the ref starts to speak. Bit surprised there's so much of a difference between two clocks.

Either way, he says 'over 3 minutes' - I think he needs to be accurate when he says this if that's his actual cut-off. And imo it was such a horrible shot the player was faced with that it wasn't the occasion to get involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

You can appreciate Selby the snooker player while being critical of the insane amount of time he takes at the table. Yes, there are some difficult shots that require thinking time, but there are sessions like tonight where he took well over a minute nearly every time.

Still though, this is a fantastic match. I have some people invited over tomorrow when the final session is on (bad planning on my part), but they can either join in watching it or entertain themselves

It's the complete refusal of Selby to play a positive shot that annoys me about him. Really simple stuff too
    An example I watched earlier, he broke off and the white ended up close to the yellow. Therefore Bingham had to go side cushion into the pack below the pink....correct shot tbf.
    Selby looks at it for about a minute and then barely touched a red, the white moved about 10 mm. Now people might find that ok but that's such a simple example, his play is negatively accumulative.
    Imo you play in a straight line across to the side cushion , back into the pack......that's the positive shot.
    2/3 reds would release from the bottom of the pack towards the black and it gives the opponent the opportunity to play another positive safety up towards the baulk cushion.
    Selby just won't play shots like that. Hes happy to drain you tipping into the pack taking as long over each shot as possible, it's a hard watch at times.
    If I where Bingham I'd be doing what Lisowski mentioned earlier...... thick safety's off the pack early to open them up ala Hendry in his prime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,843 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

volono wrote: »
    He did indeed but that was foul AND a miss.
    Can't do that when your in the X amount of snookers required stage.
    Complete pisstake from Selby there, ridiculous tbf
    I've said it before, he's the most negative player I've ever seen, here's hoping Bingham wins the first few frames tomorrow so that it's basically over.
    He moaned and moaned last year about Ronnie in the semi final.
    So what are the other 127 players on tour suppose to do, vetted sucked into playing his completely negative 2 minutes a shot game, is that not total gamesmanship??.
    Then you have the commentators calling it grit and granite
    You could almost feel Hendry was going to call it out on him this evening.....he should have!!!
    Can't stand the sight of him.

The term you used ‘gamesmanship’ is totally appropriate, with the balls spread as they were 5 (?) snookers at that stage needed.. never happening. Let’s not forget, Selby was warned for slow play there too, deliberately taking the piss and the referee was wide to it.

Likely just trying to get under the skin of Bingham.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Selby had an easy shot to play, which he played. Slight stun off a red and the white was safe, it was a just a matter of where the 2nd red went. After 3 minutes he actually played the shot badly.

The ref was 100% correct to warn him. He was taking too long over routine shots and that one was the final straw.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

The referee was completely correct, especially in the context of how slow the frame had been up until that point.

Selby staring at the table wasn't going to change anything. A lot of what he does is gamesmanship, particularly when things aren't going his way.

Great man for throwing out the anchors when his oppoment is playing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

The referee was completely correct, especially in the context of how slow the frame had been up until that point.

Selby staring at the table wasn't going to change anything. A lot of what he does is gamesmanship, particularly when things aren't going his way.

Great man for throwing out the anchors when his oppoment is playing well.

Agree. He's acting the clown and doing himself and the game no favours. Didn't he take over 5 minutes to play a shot earlier last year with only red on the table and he wasn't even snookered. As Ronnie mused after, "I can make a 147 in the time it takes him to play 1 shot"

He needs to be pulled up on it every time...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Shaun needs to improve his break-off shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Selby was over 39 seconds a shot for last night's session after 6 frames. Wouldn't be surprised if it was over 40 by the end. Completely ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,045 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Selby is being rightly criticised. Desperate cynical stuff.

Again, Shaun's first shot in this frame was terrible and let Kyren in with an easy opener.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

For anybody who has been to the crucible, what is the official website for buying tickets for next year?

Thanks for that Zutroy,
    He's well know for parking the bus when things aren't going his way. 40 seconds is ridiculous imo.
    Like someone else said, I was really pleased the ref said it to him about slow play, although made no difference really. , about time he was at least called out on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Wilson gets the scaffolding out

• Advertisement

I'm a few minutes behind at the moment, but that's another poor break-off by Shaun, yet again punished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

It's an interesting stage of this match, and the Wayne Mardel line about darts and snooker being tough games because of the scoring system is in my mind. He said you have to win the last one to win the match. Its not a timed game like soccer, where you can defend a lead. So it follows that you need a positive mindset, and keep on attacking. It sounds obvious and is obvious, but it's true. Wilson is ahead but gone a bit defensive, and Shaun Murphy is on the attack, so it has tightened up a bit. Also over the best of 33, there is scope for a comeback.

Sounds like music. Then it's, sounds like drilling. Some of today's music sounds like drilling alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭spurshero

Big frame now before the interval . If it goes 11 9 it’s game on .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

sligeach wrote: »
    Sounds like music. Then it's, sounds like drilling. Some of today's music sounds like drilling alright.

Drill music!

I doubt the crucible management could be that thick to order works.

Likely just an employee having a brain fart, bored and trying to fix a plug or some stupid craic in an office.

The mobile situation is piss poor too, everybody gets reminded and fûck this on silent craic, OFF. it’s the world championship ffs. Wañkers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Murphy has to win this frame.

Useless BBC have ended their coverage, won't be back for an hour and 15 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

What

a

shot.

That’s balls and skill, right back in it. Brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Wow! What a biack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭hawaii501

What a shot by Murphy on the black to win it.
    BBC is a disgrace turning off for a Great British Menu repeat or whatever it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,714 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Stunning final shot...

Really meant so much to Murphy that shot/frame

Wow there's a turnip for the books:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Great pot from Murphy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭tanko

Cracking pot from Murphy. Is Wilson going to bottle this match?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

hawaii501 wrote: »
    BBC is a disgrace turning off for a Great British Menu repeat or whatever it is.

They're unreal. An actual repeat and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

hawaii501 wrote: »

I never bother with BBC anymore their coverage is terrible.

Next frame is huge, Wilson takes it it’s a three frame cushion and some breathing room, Murphy wins it’s only a lead of one... I’d back Murphy from there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement