Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Snooker Championship 2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Every time, Murphy's break-off has been ####.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

hawaii501 wrote: »
    BBC is a disgrace turning off for a Great British Menu repeat or whatever it is.

Is it just me or are they giving less coverage than previous years? It happened a few times earlier in the competition that I'd turn from BBC to Eurosport only to discover that the match I had been watching wasn't live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

That is unfortunate. Feels like Murphy shot his load getting into this position. The midsession interval completely stopped him in his tracks.

Is it just me or are they giving less coverage than previous years? It happened a few times earlier in the competition that I'd turn from BBC to Eurosport only to discover that the match I had been watching wasn't live.

I was getting the opposite feeling. Seems coverage has been expanded on the BBC. There were years past when you were only getting lunchtime highlights most days.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

It's all on the red button, which you can't use in Ireland.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

That is unfortunate. Feels like Murphy shot his load getting into this position. The midsession interval completely stopped him in his tracks.

Within a shot, this has turned out to be a load of shíte. This ****ing game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

In the UK everything is on the BBC website and Iplayer so not so much of an issue really.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭sliabh 1956

On the Humax FTA box the Red Button is an option They are switching between that and BBC 1.2and 4 for their coverage hopefully for the weekend they will settle down a bit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Brian? wrote: »

If you have a sky box you can add it as an additional channel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

And there is nothing on BBC4 until 7pm?

It's terrible coverage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

You can watch it on Sky

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

If you have a sky box you can add it as an additional channel.

And it's on channel 981 if you have freesat

ebbsy wrote: »
    And there is nothing on BBC4 until 7pm?

It's terrible coverage.

It's a shared channel. CBEEBIES is on til 7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

10773 H 22 5/6

To add that channel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Wilson not acting the prijck like Selby and carrying on when he needs 17 snookers

• Registered Users Posts: 12,908 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I think Joe Johnson needs to get his eyes tested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

Wilson really struggling at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭eric hoone

Wilson feeling the pressure now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭tanko

Can see it on BBC RB1 here, coming from a transmitter in the north.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Big session from Shaun. Both semis bubbling nicely now

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭mistermiyagi

He's one of our own, he's one of our ownnnn,
    Sean O'Murchu, he's one of our ownnnnn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭hawaii501

Thankfully have Eurosport for full coverage.

Looks like the momentum is all with Murphy, some fightback by him. Probably wished there was no break though as he has him on the ropes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

Wilson really struggling at the moment

I was worried for him when he played so well and still couldn't pull away, I'd have Murphy heavy favorite now.

Murphy seems to think he's won already, hopefully Wilson can wipe the smug smile off his face, i'm not sure if he has the bottle to do it tho.

tanko wrote: »
    Murphy seems to think he's won already, hopefully Wilson can wipe the smug smile off his face, i'm not sure if he has the bottle to do it tho.

He's acting way over the top imo, thinks he's on stage or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Rothko wrote: »
    I think Joe Johnson needs to get his eyes tested.

He does. He doesn't irritate me though which is the main thing.

He is on stage.

What is it you like in snooker?

Hate weekends like this with all the sport but I can barely watch any of it. :pac:

He is on stage.

He's acting like he's won the tournament...he's playing snooker not performing on the West end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

He is on stage.

Yes the Crucible Theatre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,843 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’m not going to knock Murphy for showing some emotion. In the day and age of sports people, snooker players in particular becoming more ‘safe’ and checked and personality free.. good to see some personality and expression of emotion out there.

He's acting like he's won the tournament...he's playing snooker not performing on the West end.

Shaun Murphy has been far too nice for far too long. Something had to change, needed to get a bit of anger into himself, fire himself up.
    And yes, there's probably a bit of gamesmanship in it, but all's fair in love and war at this stage of a world championship.

Fist pumps never did Tiger any harm.
    Gerwyn Price in the darts.
    Michael Jordan, Nadal also at the top of my head.

Big test for Wilson this now.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

You can watch it on Sky

Fairy nuff. I wouldn’t bother with it anyway. I much prefer the Eurosport coverage.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,714 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Looking like 12 all here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

dobman88 wrote: »
    I'm too young to have seen him in his pomp but was he as ruthless a player as he comes across on comms? When he's talking about taking on a pot and almost sighs as a player plays a safety. Would he have gone for pretty much anything in his day?

If you look up the brown Hendry took against Jimmy White back in 1992 its shows the type of player he was

Hendry up he was 14-9 down in the world championship final.

Ruthless, fearless and went for it when under the ultimate pressure.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Amazing by Shaun. Did you see the way the other lad looked back, as he was walking out.

If you look up the brown Hendry took against Jimmy White back in 1992 its shows the type of player he was

Hendry up he was 14-9 down in the world championship final.

Ruthless, fearless and went for it when under the ultimate pressure.

This White loss was more sickening than the 1994 final frame loss! 14-8, and loses 10 on the bounce!

If Murphys carry on doesn't give Wilson the motivation to get the finger out and win this match nothing will.

I say fair play to Murphy I was giving out that he has shown no fight in the past and was too nice. Given his level of snooker technique and talent he has been unachieving etc.

But finally now even at 38 he has shown he has fight in him.

If it was Ronnie doing fist pumps I bet people would be saying oh it is 'Ronnie being Ronnie'. I think a lot of the comments on Murphy are because he seems very articulate, intelligent, is a heavy fella. Not like the 'ducking and diver' snooker wildman stereotype like Alex Higgins, White, ROS etc

It seems for some people poor Murphy can't win. He is criticised for being too nice. Then when he shows a bit of umph, claws his way back into the match. Delighted with himself interacts and feeds off the crowd. Suddenly he is on stage???

I think that is extremely unfair on Murphy it would have been very easy for him to fold. But he got himself going and pumped himself up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Augme

Murphy might regret those celebrations. Great motivation now for Wilson. Rather than feeling down he's prbnaly just feeling extremely determined.

Wilson strikes me as the type of player who does better when he's behind and doesn't have expectation in him. Fascinatingly poised either way.

walshb wrote: »
    This White loss was more sickening than the 1994 final frame loss! 14-8, and loses 10 on the bounce!

Yeah I remember it well in shock I was. Hendry was a machine back then Selby and ROS all rolled into one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Interesting to see the average shot times there. 28 seconds for Selby and 27 seconds for Bingham.

Bingham straight in!!

Poor Bingham safety and horrible Selby miss!!!

sligeach wrote: »
    Interesting to see the average shot times there. 28 seconds for Selby and 27 seconds for Bingham.

Heard that yesterday. It is all about perception, people look for confirmation biases.

Huge frame..

13-12 or 14-11!!!

Selby rocket red - great technique.

I say fair play to Murphy I was giving out that he has shown no fight in the past and was too nice. Given his level of snooker technique and talent he has been unachieving etc.

But finally now even at 38 he has shown he has fight in him.

If it was Ronnie doing fist pumps I bet people would be saying oh it is 'Ronnie being Ronnie'. I think a lot of the comments on Murphy are because he seems very articulate, intelligent, is a heavy fella. Not like the 'ducking and diver' snooker wildman stereotype like Alex Higgins, White, ROS etc

It seems for some people poor Murphy can't win. He is criticised for being too nice. Then when he shows a bit of umph, claws his way back into the match. Delighted with himself interacts and feeds off the crowd. Suddenly he is on stage???

I think that is extremely unfair on Murphy it would have been very easy for him to fold. But he got himself going and pumped himself up.

I've nothing against Murphy, I'm just not a fan of people celebrating like they've won when all they have done is level, regardless of who they are.

There's a lot more for him to do in this match.

• Advertisement

This could be a frame that Bingham has given away!

Advertisement