Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Snooker Championship 2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I've nothing against Murphy, I'm just not a fan of people celebrating like they've won when all they have done is level, regardless of who they are.

There's a lot more for him to do in this match.

Getting himself going was more how I took it. I thought Murphy was very tame in comparison to some fellas. Like Ebdon etc.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

13-12 - ice cool 68 Selby break

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Augme

That will sting for bingham. Had a few great chances there to clear up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

Getting himself going was more how I took it. I thought Murphy was very tame in comparison to some fellas. Like Ebdon etc.

It's just a personal thing, Id like to see him put that energy into finishing off his opponent and save the fist pumps and celebrations for when the job is done, I think it's a dangerous thing being too happy with yourself when the job isn't done, but that's just me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Smells like a potential re-rack..

• Advertisement

Strumms wrote: »
    I doubt the crucible management could be that thick to order works.

Likely just an employee having a brain fart, bored and trying to fix a plug or some stupid craic in an office.

The mobile situation is piss poor too, everybody gets reminded and fûck this on silent craic, OFF. it’s the world championship ffs. Wañkers.

Should leave their phones outside... If they're that worried about being 'out of contact' , they should leave after the frame to check, or; if it's a long frame, they can wait for some shot that may lead to uproarious laughter, or a big round of applause (wonder are fans allowed to leave the arena in them situations) , and wait until they're 'allowed' back in..

Fk em... :p Wouldn't be tolerated at Wimbledon; which is a more 'physical' (obviously :D) game, and it's only on the serve really, that the fans are supposed to be quiet...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

I don't think they should have reracked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Cartman78

What's the criteria for a re-rack?

Do the two players just have to agree that they're boring the arse out of everyone??

Cartman78 wrote: »
    What's the criteria for a re-rack?

Do the two players just have to agree that they're boring the arse out of everyone??

Basically yeah. If both players don't agree it carries on. If it gets silly the ref can put pressure on them to re-rack

AllForIt wrote: »
    Drill music!

Bit off topic, but that's pretty 'big' among the young'uns from the land of 'doctors and engineers' - basically blokes beefing, and threatening other 'crews, gangs, posses' - lots of mentions of slitting (knives, and the like) ; yet this stuff is still on YouTube (least it was when I looked before - was a thread on this site about 8/10 months ago where dat drill stuff got a mention). And, not unlike the famous 'call-out' videos from our own; who are the same, but different at the same time; they still appear on 'woke' YouTube...

Anyways, all speak of unfairness, up is down/down is up logic is not for here.

Was catching up on thread, and when I saw 'drill' come up; something came outta me, and I couldn't help meself :pac:

• Advertisement

Bad misjudgment from Selby there... Bingham couldn't take advantage though. Can feel the nerves taking hold in their play now.

Should leave their phones outside... If they're that worried about being 'out of contact' , they should leave after the frame to check, or; if it's a long frame, they can wait for some shot that may lead to uproarious laughter, or a big round of applause (wonder are fans allowed to leave the arena in them situations) , and wait until they're 'allowed' back in..

Fk em... :p Wouldn't be tolerated at Wimbledon; which is a more 'physical' (obviously :D) game, and it's only on the serve really, that the fans are supposed to be quiet...

Nevermind phones I heard the ref earlier shouting put the sweets away.

I remember getting caught out with that as a young fella in Goff's. Trying to open a sweet really carefully. But of course it was as if it was as if the sweet wrapper was echoing all over the place.

A quick glare from the ref John Street put me in my place.

Snooker is funny that way all the quietness is more out of convention rather than necessity. That roaring in the Snooker Shootout from the crowd does not seem to affect play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

If they keep going at this rate, gonna be looking like a late finish tonight after evening session. Can almost see them having to call security to haul ballrun out of the arena at 6.30 with 2 frames left to play!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭raclle

^^
    I was just about to mention this. What happens if it runs into the next game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

If they keep going at this rate, gonna be looking like a late finish tonight after evening session. Can almost see them having to call security to haul ballrun out of the arena at 6.30 with 2 frames left to play!

You've answered the question I was going to ask. Do they play on and delay the next match or come back after the next match plays on time.

I was only half thinking it after last nights epic frames but theres a serious worry of this match not actually finishing on time now the way they've started.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭eric hoone

This session has hardly got going

This is getting a bit ridiculous now.

dobman88 wrote: »
    You've answered the question I was going to ask. Do they play on and delay the next match or come back after the next match plays on time.

I was only half thinking it after last nights epic frames but theres a serious worry of this match not actually finishing on time now the way they've started.

There is a cut off point that they cant start a frame one hour before next session. But tournament director could overrule that, they generally dont though. Bingham and ding were called off with one frame to play and bingham was furious. Cant recall a sf being called off, but it's hardly fair on the later session for their match to be delayed due to this. Suppose well find out if it comes down to it.

Again, I don't think they should have been allowed agree on a rerack.

They mentioned it on Eurosport yesterday that it might push the next match a bit later... but I wonder how much allowance there is for that. Like, it's one thing if they've just a frame to play, but if it looks like there's still a few to be played would they still be happy to wait till 8 or 8:30 to start the other session?

<edit> They brought it up there again - sounds like they reckon this one just keeps going?

• Advertisement

There is a cut off point that they cant start a frame one hour before next session. But tournament director could overrule that, they generally dont though. Bingham and ding were called off with one frame to play and bingham was furious. Cant recall a sf being called off, but it's hardly fair on the later session for their match to be delayed due to this. Suppose well find out if it comes down to it.

Yeah, that's fair and with things needing to be cleaned cos of covid now, they will definitely need people out.

I remember Bingham reaction v Ding. Was not a happy man.

sligeach wrote: »
    Again, they shouldn't have been allowed call for a rerack.

And both players just keep tippy tapping going nowhere or do you have a suggestion I'm not thinking of?

jeysus...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

This is painful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

The Jester plays to the crowd for the fluke. Trying to play to the gallery no doubt.

At least it was only 1 point that he gets out of it

Yeah, that's fair and with things needing to be cleaned cos of covid now, they will definitely need people out.

I remember Bingham reaction v Ding. Was not a happy man.

No he wasnt a happy bunny at all. But that's the rule and players should be aware of it. Eurosport seem to think it stays going no matter what so maybe they're right. Have to wait and see what happens.

And both players just keep tippy tapping going nowhere or do you have a suggestion I'm not thinking of?

It eventually will go somewhere. They just don't want to be the one to make a mistake or play a progressive shot.

Cant recall a sf being called off, but it's hardly fair on the later session for their match to be delayed due to this. Suppose well find out if it comes down to it.
    I dnt think that's an option today with the final tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Not sure what Selby was at there with that performance after fluking the red. It's like he was taking the p*ss of Bingham somehow.

• Advertisement

It eventually will go somewhere. They just don't want to be the one to make a mistake or play a progressive shot.

I'd rather the rerack than see 2 players, who are both quite stubborn, keep tipping along going nowhere. That kinda thing is also brutal to watch.

.That kinda thing is also brutal to watch.
    Some people find it absorbing :)

raclle wrote: »

Good safety play is absorbing, but the same two shots being repeated over and over and over in an endless loop isn't so much..

Selby makes it level. Bingham really needs to get the next one I think.

Ah tbf last night was an epic tactical battle where you could see something happening and I did enjoy it.

For the rerack they were just tipping around the same ball or 2 which is a pain in the bollox

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

I've nothing against Murphy, I'm just not a fan of people celebrating like they've won when all they have done is level, regardless of who they are.

Happens in a lot of sports.

Soccer, darts, tennis etc.

Sure they even celebrate in hurling when they win a free.

Indicative of how poor last year's Championship was. 101 centuries this year so far and we haven't finished the semi's yet. 79 last year. 100 the year before that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Bingham is one of the classiest break builders in the game in my opinion. Really good to watch among the balls.

Likes to go for a 147 as we all know, and I’m fairly sure only Ronnie, Hendry and Higgins have more of them than Bingham.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

Trump has a nice commentary voice. I wonder why he does it. Don’t remember any other current players in the commentary box.

Re. fist-pumping, it may well go on in other sports, but snooker’s different! I don’t mind it occasionally, but hope it doesn’t become common.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Selby makes it level. Bingham really needs to get the next one I think.
    There you go. Great game. Looks like going the distance

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

tanko wrote: »
    If Murphys carry on doesn't give Wilson the motivation to get the finger out and win this match nothing will.

Carry on? He celebrated winning a very important frame. Fair play to him

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Augme wrote: »
    Murphy might regret those celebrations. Great motivation now for Wilson. Rather than feeling down he's prbnaly just feeling extremely determined.

Wilson strikes me as the type of player who does better when he's behind and doesn't have expectation in him. Fascinatingly poised either way.

This narrative is beyond a joke.

How could he not show emotion after clawing it back from where he was?

Bizarre.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

It smells like a 17-16 win for Selby now. Will they have to finish tomorrow??

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

I don't see how Bingham will win this frame. Definitely not now.

I don't see how Bingham will win this frame.

Selby's much maligned tactics are sucking the life out of Bingham. All the laughing and joking has stopped.

Trump has a nice commentary voice. I wonder why he does it. Don’t remember any other current players in the commentary box.

He has been surprisingly good in the comm box. Very relaxed at ease, no cliches. Just calls it.

Contrasts to when Ken started and felt he had to use the metaphors, extra adjectives and shout dramatically to 'keep up' with John Virgo's lines.
    I suppose Ken still does that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

My phone is on DND 24/7. I don't understand it at all. Especially in 2021!

Hazel just said on the BBC possibility the Semi-Final might not finish today.
    Ken said they will have about an hour to finish five frames.

For those wondering what happens if they run out of time.

It will have to be played after the second session of the 2nd semi-final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Hazel just said on the BBC possibility the Semi-Final might not finish today.
    Ken said they will have about an hour to finish five frames.

For those wondering what happens if they run out of time.

It will have to be played after the second session of the 2nd semi-final.

It will clearly finish before (dawn) tomorrow morning one way or another. Most logical thing is that usual rules apply and they come off before the 7pm session starts.

Cliff Thorburn v Terry Griffiths in 1983 came back and played until 3.51am

Yes that is unfair on these two, but it also has to be fair to the 7pm players and crowd.

It will clearly finish before (dawn) tomorrow morning one way or another. Most logical thing is that usual rules apply and they come off before the 7pm session starts.

Cliff Thorburn v Terry Griffiths in 1983 came back and played until 3.51am

Yes that is unfair on these two, but it also has to be fair to the 7pm players and crowd.

Terry and Cliff - jayus must of been some slog.

I looked it up there that session lasted over 7 hours! It is a record for the latest finish at the crucible. Final result Cliff 13 -Terry 12

The way Bingham and Selby are going - it would not surprise me if they beat the record.

I'd rather the rerack than see 2 players, who are both quite stubborn, keep tipping along going nowhere. That kinda thing is also brutal to watch.

There's a limit though in fairness, to the amount any organism (carbon based/vegetable/human etc etc) is capable of absorbing....

Wouldn't mind seeing a 01.00 finish, but I don't think anyone too many want that match to start at 10.00pm :D

Unlikely - but not beyond the bounds..

Hon Stuart :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

No new frame to start after 6

• Advertisement
Advertisement