Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Snooker Championship 2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Did I hear there will be 100% capacity (with masks I say) for the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,908 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Did I hear there will be 100% capacity (with masks I say) for the final.

Yep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Be a huge psychological win for Bingham if he can take this frame from here now.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Be a huge psychological win for Bingham if he can take this frame from here now.

Hope he does some theatrics - should he win it - ala 'The Jester'.... Mon Stu!

Rothko wrote: »
    Yep

Great to hear. Let's hope it goes great. I think there was a non social distance dance in Liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Bingham was unlucky.

Hope he does some theatrics - should he win it - ala 'The Jester'.... Mon Stu!

I welcome celebrating in snooker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Selby getting every little break

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,843 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Selby having ALL the luck, now Selby giving the crowd daggers, don’t blame him, happening too often during play these days... watch with your eyes not your mouth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

Selby should clear up here and get the next frame started by 6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Selby should clear up here and get the next frame started by 6

Class century 130 plus clearance from Selby. He seems to be really able to mess with his opponents head. Changes of pace bouts of safety then bang.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Poor bingham in big trouble now

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

God forbid a Wilson v Selby final. Laugh a minute.

Muppet Man wrote: »

If Bingham wins this frame somehow. The dynamic of the match could be different when they come back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Selby starting to really annoy me. Never really did before. Have a new snooker villain to succeed S Davis, Hendry, and J Higgins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Muppet Man wrote: »

Yep, confidences shot i think

Bingham's Ballrun has ran out I think. Gave Selby an easy opener.

That attempted red by Bingham definitely deviated. It would be a sick way to lose the match.

Selby starting to really annoy me. Have a new snooker villain to replace S Davis, Hendry, and J Higgins

He's been that for me for a few years now... And I try to go into each match open minded, but every match he plays I find myself very quickly going for the other player. And unfortunately very often being disappointed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Selby starting to really annoy me. Never really did before. Have a new snooker villain to succeed S Davis, Hendry, and J Higgins

To be fair he has been the snooker villain for me for years. Always find it's a better tournament to watch when he goes out early.

I get that some people love watching him and admire his battling qualities, but for me he's a perfect example of the kind of characterless, uninteresting player that has contributed to snooker's decline in public consciousness in the last 10 or 15 years.

• Advertisement

Reminds me of Jimmy's line after the 1994 final.

@17.25

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    He's been that for me for a few years now... And I try to go into each match open minded, but every match he plays I find myself very quickly going for the other player. And unfortunately very often being disappointed.
    To be fair he has been the snooker villain for me for years. Always find it's a better tournament to watch when he goes out early.

I get that some people love watching him and admire his battling qualities, but for me he's a perfect example of the kind of characterless, uninteresting player that has contributed to snooker's decline in public consciousness in the last 10 or 15 years.

Youse must have been pleased last year when Ronnie blitzed him?

To be fair to Selby his background has really a lot to do with his character. He had a very hard start in life. Had to struggle and 'graft' since he was a young fella.

Here is an RTE article written about Selby's background when he won his first World Title back in 2014.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/snooker/2014/0507/615692-s/

If Bingham wins this frame quick enough, I think they should play one more frame. I know they won't though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Augme

Selby will be kicking himself. Had a great chance to win the match and have the evening off. Now he has to sit and stew for hours. While Bingham can relax knowing he's on a shot to nothing.

Forget the Ballrun nickname they should just call him 'Balls Bingham'

Fair play to him.

I thought for a second he'd missed the green.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Outstanding from Bingham there. Truly outstanding.

Fair play to Bingham, that was a massive frame!

sligeach wrote: »

So did I, would have been a horrible way to lose it.

After the frame Bingham getting the crowd going and all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

My heart skipped there so I dunno how he felt lol

• Advertisement

It's unfair for them to have to come back later. More so on Bingham, especially after winning the last frame.

If you don't appreciate Selby's fighting quality and the fact that he's clearly not the most naturally gifted but nonetheless is a 3-time world champion and 19-time ranking event winner, then I'd say snooker isn't the game for you. And I'm not particularly a fan of him. But I have a massive amount of respect for the way he plays and for his achievements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

Balls of steel from Bingham to win that frame

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

Could this break suit Bingham? Under a bit of pressure, go off and get some food, maybe have a nap or a walk to clear the head, chat to the wife and kids and just relax generally.

Get back later refreshed and ready to go.

Snooker is fecking great is all I can say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭waynescales1

So the other semi, nicely poised, at 12-12 to come @ 7. Followed, hopefully, by 2 bonus late night frames of snooker afterwards. What Crucible Saturdays are all about.

dobman88 wrote: »
    Could this break suit Bingham? Under a bit of pressure, go off and get some food, maybe have a nap or a walk to clear the head, chat to the wife and kids and just relax generally.

I agree with ya. From the look of Bingham at the end of the frame. He already looked like a man reborn. Grinning from ear to ear again.

I agree with ya. From the look of Bingham at the end of the frame. He already looked like a man reborn. Grinning from ear to ear again.

Pressure is somewhat off him now. Got a free run at it. He's certainly proved Mark Allen wrong over the years :D

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭B2021M

Is that true though? If anything it was the monotonous single visit clearances in 8 mins that contributed...but i think factors outside snooker contributed far more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Bingham showing real character there. Selby must be hurting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

It's unfair for them to have to come back later. More so on Bingham, especially after winning the last frame.

Let them play on and then say they play 3 frames, another 90 minutes and an hour to turn venue around, then next match gets on maybe 9pm. Definitely not fair on them either so one way or another, you're being harsh. This way does seem the fairest i would think.

dobman88 wrote: »

With gaps like this I always think of that infamous Paul Hunter episode during his first Masters final, where he was really struggling - till his missus took him back to the hotel room for a bit of a stress-reliever during the interval, and he came back a new man!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    If you don't appreciate Selby's fighting quality and the fact that he's clearly not the most naturally gifted but nonetheless is a 3-time world champion and 19-time ranking event winner, then I'd say snooker isn't the game for you. And I'm not particularly a fan of him. But I have a massive amount of respect for the way he plays and for his achievements.

I don't know about that - I've been watching snooker for over 30 years, been to the crucible half a dozen times* and going there has been one of my highlights as a spectator of sports - so if snooker wasn't for me I'd probably have figured that out by now!

I just can't warm to Selby though, never could and never will, I will always favour a player who has either incredible talent or, alternatively, one who is less talented but is interesting and a character to watch, over a slogger like Selby, regardless of how good a battler he is (and no question, he has battled his way to where he is in the sport).

*Thankfully I have managed to avoid the jester at every crucible trip so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭B2021M

Let them play on and then say they play 3 frames, another 90 minutes and an hour to turn venue around, then next match gets on maybe 9pm. Definitely not fair on them either so one way or another, you're being harsh. This way does seem the fairest i would think.

Yes Wilson and Murphy should not be affected by a match they have nothing to do with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭Xander10

so do we know when it is back under way?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Xander10 wrote: »
    so do we know when it is back under way?

Tonight after the other semi is the plan. I'm just wondering is that regardless of how late the other one runs...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

Tonight after the other semi is the plan. I'm just wondering is that regardless of how late the other one runs...

According to Hazel its def going ahead tonight one way or another...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

Hard to see Murphy losing this now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

As an aside. I had a cracking night out with Sean Murphy a couple of years ago in Cardiff. A chance meeting, good few pints consumed. Thoroughly nice chap

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

As an aside. I had a cracking night out with Sean Murphy a couple of years ago in Cardiff. A chance meeting, good few pints consumed. Thoroughly nice chap

He’s well liked by a few lads I know who play out in Celbridge. I missed him by a week, he started playing there a week after I moved to Eindhoven.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
Advertisement