Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Snooker Championship 2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

Wilson looks like he vomited in his mouth and swallowed it again. Murphy carrying on with his incredible form. Has a look in his eye too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Hard to see Murphy losing this now

Hopefully.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Lol. And as I type Judd says he has a twinkle in his eye. He does indeed look up for it

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

If Murphy keeps this up we won't have to wait long for Selby/Bingham

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭mistermiyagi

Murph is bouncing, playing with incredible confidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Murphy very lucky with his break-off, almost another poor one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Class century 130 plus clearance from Selby. He seems to be really able to mess with his opponents head. Changes of pace bouts of safety then bang.

Right?

How you can watch his skillset and be annoyed is beyond me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Right?

How you can watch his skillset and be annoyed is beyond me!

I can't remember which analyst (former pro) described Selby as the quintessential complete snooker player. I thought it was a great way of putting it.:)

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Unforgivable miss by Kyren with that black off the spot. No sympathy for him if he loses this frame.

I can't remember which analyst (former pro) described Selby as the quintessential complete snooker player. I thought it was a great way of putting it.:)

It used to annoy me when others complained about Fergal or Ebdon.

Imagine if everyone was like Ronnie?
    The game would be up there with Pool as a spectator sport.

The range in this sport is why it's as popular as it is. And it's why it's been making inroads the last few years back to its proper place.

• Advertisement

Murph playing an exhilarating brand of snooker, Wilson is dead in the water. We'll have a final worth watching tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Must be an incredible feeling to be in a crucible sf, your rhythm and cue arm flowing like honey and the pockets seem so big you cant possibly miss. I imagine the only thing could beat it would be same thing happening in the final!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Some run from Murphy, what's that 11 of the last 13 from 10-4 down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Really good from Murphy. It's looking ominous at this moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

If Murph and Bingham both make it through I'm going to have a very tough decision on who to support!

I've a feeling Selby will take that decision out of my hands alright though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

There was always something not quite right about Kyren being so far ahead but this long match has ironed out the anomoly. I mean Kryen is good but he's not that good.

Murph playing an exhilarating brand of snooker, Wilson is dead in the water. We'll have a final worth watching tomorrow.

Very high praise from Hendry who said it is the best 4 frames he has ever seen Murphy play and every shot the right shot.

Hendry does not give out praise lightly if anything he is hyper critical in commentary.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Ruthless from Murphy, hitting form at the right time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Shaun has won 10-2 since 10am this morning.

Some performance

• Advertisement

My God lads. that is phenomenal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Murphy wants this done so he can watch his fellow countrywoman Katie Taylor box the head off Jonas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭taytobreath

I’m delighted for Murphy, he deserves it, he has been fighting demons for years, didn’t he threaten to jack it in a few times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Murphy wants this done so he can watch his fellow countrywoman Katie Taylor box the head off Jonas.

:D 3 Irish grandparents? Was he joking when he said his parents intended him to be Sean but the hospital spelt it the English version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

Sean O Murchu to dismantle the torturer.

We can dream.

The funny thing for me personally is, in recent years I always thought Murphy had a good chance to take the title but hardly even made the quarters. This year I thought he had no chance at all. Now here he is 1 frame from making the final. Oh you do furstrate me Shaun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

Mr Tayto playing inspired stuff tonight

AllForIt wrote: »
    There was always something not quite right about Kyren being so far ahead but this long match has ironed out the anomoly. I mean Kryen is good but he's not that good.

I think he folds if the really top lads put a bit of pressure on him at the best of times.
    In fairness to Kyren though, he is being bulldozed by Murphy.

I did not see the onslaught coming. But I am in good company. Ronnie on Eurosport was asked who he thought would win when Murphy was 10-6 down.
    Ronnie was asked - "Did Murphy have a chance?'

Ronnie said:

"Nah Mate, I always think a good young 'un is better than a good old 'un"

:D

Irony was not lost on me that Ronnie won the world title last year age 44!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

A Selby-Murphy final, if it happens, would be a big feather in the cap of Chris Henry. Would be a bit more expensive from next season i would guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Genghis

Must say, for sheer entertainment value, the semi final round has been thoroughly excellent. Gunning for Bingham and Murphy, love how each of them are loving the occasion, getting the crowd behind them, etc. Looking forward to the rest of the evening and the final to come.

Ken - "Shaun's one of the great protagonists with the rest" :pac:

No Ken - Don't troi to sound intelligent.... :P 'Protagonist/s' is close enough - but no cigar... And, he even said it twoice, did Ken...

PRACTITIONER/S would be the more apt/operative woord there Kenneth :D

HON The 'Honorary Irishman' S'Murph!! :D

• Advertisement

Murphy the free-flowing speed merchant is fantastic to watch, has one on the edge of their seat. As opposed to Selby dithering for over a minute per safety, which has one on the edge of their sleep.

Jesus. We get it.

Just enjoy what's in front of you.

Selby's not out there.

Selby dour personaltiy aside, I'd much prefer to see a Murphy v Selby final.

Murphy the free-flowing speed merchant is fantastic to watch, has one on the edge of their seat. As opposed to Selby dithering for over a minute per safety, which has one on the edge of their sleep.

Disagree just different styles there is not one way to play snooker.

I view Selby's play like a football team who can slow the pace down and suddenly break on the counter at pace.

Look at the amount of big breaks over 60 Selby has got in this match alone.

Session 2:
    (134)
    (134)

Session 3:
    (62)

Session 4:
    (68)
    (125)
    (132)
    (85)

That would be a great contrast of personalities and styles.

Although both those two lads had dysfunctional family upbringings and managed to come out the other side.

I would like Shaun to win it if he gets there with the Irish connection wife - and living in Dublin etc.

No Ken - Don't troi to sound intelligent.... :P 'Protagonist/s' is close enough - but no cigar... And, he even said it twoice, did Ken...

Malapropism is part of Ken's charm. The piece with Jack had me smiling, the two of them good craic and not taking themselves too seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

It seems to be an unpopular opinion, but I agree. Bingham vs. Murphy in 2015 was thoroughly forgettable, and Selby’s brand of snooker compared to Murphy’s would make for the more interesting match, total clash of styles but those are often the most gripping contests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

That would be a great contrast of personalities and styles.

Although both those two lads had dysfunctional family upbringings and managed to come out the other side.

I would like Shaun to win it if he gets there with the Irish connection wife - and living in Dublin etc.

Isn’t Selby’s wife Irish too?

I image the BBC giving the player commentators a list of terms they might find useful to use. McManus's choice of terms is a bit off as well but he seems to have reigned that in somewhat. If you try too hard to sound well-spoken you can very easily come acoss as a bit of a plonker.

Sums auld Ken up. It is endearing at this stage getting his metaphors and adjectives mangled.

I believe in your example it is called a malapropism.
    Ken is the master at them.
    He gives Del Boy from only Fools and Horses a run for his money, on that score.

Genghis wrote: »
    Malapropism is part of Ken's charm. The piece with Jack had me smiling, the two of them good craic and not taking themselves too seriously.

Indeed, and Jack admittedly wouldn't be a great rest protagonist :pac:

• Advertisement

Addle wrote: »
    Isn’t Selby’s wife Irish too?

Yep former pool player.

Murphy lives in Dublin though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

If Kyren nicks this frame the commentators better not start talking up his victory chances

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,843 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Wilson arguing about millimeters, he’s sitting down about 20 feet away hmmm

Always find this 'a bit to you, now back to me' thing tedious. Heard somewhere there had been a technology trialled in China that projected using light the previous ball positions. Wonder why it never came to be used for televised tournaments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Always find this 'a bit to you, now back to me' thing tedious. Heard somewhere there had been a technology trialled in China that projected using light the previous ball positions. Wonder why it never came to be used for televised tournaments.

That sounds way too exciting for snooker

If he was trying to hit that black Kyren wouldn't!

It's Day Ja Voo.... all over again.... JV beat me to it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

Disappointed with Wilson, I had Shaun pegged as a heavy favorite at 12-12 but I thought he at least would make a game of it, totally wilted.

Dennis Taylor would love that. When they first brought in the thing where you could draw lines on the screen he was using it every chance he got.

• Advertisement

Disappointed with Wilson, I had Shaun pegged as a heavy favorite at 12-12 but I thought he at least would make a game of it, totally wilted.

The 'Wilting Weeping Warrior' should be his full new nickname.

Advertisement