Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Snooker Championship 2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Maybe 'Skinny Shaun', in keeping with the rest of them...
    But wasn't he on a charity diet a few weeks ago, has to keep his strength up for the best of 35

Jayus, I thought youse were codding!

He was in a weight loss competition for charity with another snooker player before the World Championship.

https://www.yorkpress.co.uk/sport/19082802.snooker-mc-charity-weight-loss-champion-shaun-murphy/

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

testtech05 wrote: »
    Missed this one myself. What was Selby up to?

'Giving it loads' - best way I can describe it :(

Raising both arms up and down, as if to say; well, I'm not sure what he was trying to say/convey... Maybe he rewound the shot in his head, and was willing the red to go in in his imagination...:confused:

Was overegging the fact that he couldn't believe that a stroke of luck/fluke happened him.. Red (I think it was) rattled in jaws, and went round the table travelling some distance, and the same (iirc) red went in.. Was some fluke, but he spent 5-10 seconds with his 'antics' after...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,908 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Selby a bit jammy in that frame anyway. Yellow and green could easily have been on.

Bingham had more than his fair share of luck over the course of the match. That pink that went around the table comes to mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

sligeach wrote: »
    Poxy end to the match. Bingham will be gutted.

I thought was a great last frame. But I think it's the outcome your're moaming about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭raclle

Rothko wrote: »
    Bingham had more than his fair share of luck over the course of the match. That pink that went around the table comes to mind.
    Sorry that's irrelevant when it comes to the last few frames :D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Eurosport interviewer stirring it up with Stuart.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

Rothko wrote: »

I think some people are just sour that he came out on top...

Valiant effort from Stuart but in the end I felt Selby deserved it, it was tight but Selby came out strong this evening and edged it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,843 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Bingham not happy with Selby in the interview. Honest.

Basically saying there was some gamesmanship, I’d agree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

AllForIt wrote: »
    I thought was a great last frame. But I think it's the outcome your're moaming about.

I think he means losing off a snooker like he did. as in, the actual ending to the frame. Horrible way to end such a brilliant fightback... missing contact on the green a few times, and then leaving it in a potable position for Selby.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Paddy1234

Sour grapes by Bingham in that interview. He lost fair and square. They both got their fair share of luck in that match. Ignoring him at the end was bad form too. Glad Selby won.

• Advertisement

Valiant effort from Stuart but in the end I felt Selby deserved it, it was tight but Selby came out strong this evening and edged it.

I think when people like their sport they want a sporting and fair and respectful contest from both players...

Taking routinely several minutes over reasonably straightforward shots, celebrating with aggression and gusto and volume when their are still balls to be potted...

Pretty much zilch to appeal to sporting people as far as Selby is concerned, not a very sporting or likable player ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭hawaii501

What a player Selby is, always grinds his opponents down and then beats them with his class.
    The snooker was a great idea to play on the green when most other players would have took it on as a 'freebie' to nothing. No problems with him celebrating early, he's just about to get into the Worlds final!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

I know its part of the job, but it must be incredibly difficult to give an interview after a crushing defeat like that. Same with Wilson earlier, and Selby last year. They're humans at the end of the day, tensions are high, and they are faced with an interviewer basically goading them into giving them a headline.

Two deserving finalists, but not a fan of either. Will just sit back and enjoy it as a neutral, hopefully its a close match

Paddy1234 wrote: »
    Sour grapes by Bingham in that interview. He lost fair and square. They both got their fair share of luck in that match. Ignoring him at the end was bad form too. Glad Selby won.

Not how I saw it... He was honest and said what a lot of other people feel and think watching... I’ve more respect for him for that, could have come out.. “ didnt get run of the balls, Selby was good, best of luck “... said it as it was though, fair fûcks...

Strumms wrote: »
    I think when people like their sport they want a sporting and fair and respectful contest from both players...

Taking routinely several minutes over reasonably straightforward shots, celebrating with aggression and gusto and volume when their are still balls to be potted...

Pretty much zilch to appeal to sporting people as far as Selby is concerned, not a very sporting or likable individual..

It seems to me it's one rule for some but not the others, Shaun was doing a victory parade at 12-12, was far more over the top than Selby but gets a pass.

Bingham didn't even congratulate and wish Selby look at the end...again nothing said, not very sporting.

The double standards are ridiculous, especially when it comes to Selby, lets be fair not matter what or how he acted he'd be criticized.

Paddy1234 wrote: »

He shook his hand (well bumped elbows)... He was hardly going to wish him well, under the circumstances... He was well annoyed with Selby (rightfully so), but he did the bare minimum, and didn't (imo) 'ignore' him..

He's hardly obliged to pat him on the back/exchange pleasantries, and wish him well... If that's all of the match I saw; I would have been thinking the same as you.. But in this instance, no..

This is fairly much it. Selby going for title number four up there with snooker great John Higgins.
    Similar players all rounders.

And Murphy can go level with another Higgins - Alex. Not very similar players or personalities or players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

But sher Murphy was at that at 12-12...celebrating like he'd won it, Selby actually had it won basically.

At the End of a session after he was 10-4 down?

You must be a joy to watch sport with.

It seems to me it's one rule for some but not the others, Shaun was doing a victory parade at 12-12, was far more over the top than Selby but gets a pass.

Bingham didn't even congratulate and wish Selby look at the end...again nothing said, not very sporting.

The double standards are ridiculous, especially when it comes to Selby, lets be fair not matter what or how he acted he'd be criticized.

I was sure they did that elbow bump thing in the arena, pretty uncommon to wish luck in an interview, an interview you just answer questions.

No double standards... a player can express satisfaction but the repeated behaviors of a Selby, between shots ? Nahh not having that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

Selby doesn't do anything for the promotion of snooker. He's a miserable git around the table and it's hard to watch him take minutes just looking at the balls. He makes me want to turn over anyway.

Came across this Bingham interview on a chat show (Clare Balding) - it must have been when he won the World Title in 2015?

Bingham has a good sense of humour.

At the End of a session after he was 10-4 down?

You must be a joy to watch sport with.

But he hadn't won anything yet! he was acting like he'd won the tournament, it was over the top, at least Selby was essentially over the line when he celebrated but he gets mauled over it!

Couldn't make it up:pac:

Panrich wrote: »
    Selby doesn't do anything for the promotion of snooker. He's a miserable git around the table and it's hard to watch him take minutes just looking at the balls. He makes me want to turn over anyway.

Every sport needs a villain people love to hate...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Selby is an animal, pure and simple. Not really like a boxer, because with a boxer you can stand up for 12 rounds and hope to beat him on points, but more a prizefighter you have to deliver the knockout blow. Ronnie managed to do it last year, Stuart stayed with him almost to the end but couldnt land that decisive blow. Difference with 2015, he had much the same attitude and it carried him all the way against ronnie, judd and murphy then, but it wasnt enough to sustain the effort against selby. No shame in that defeat. It was a terrific contest, another for the ages.

Interesting the 2020 championship gave us a classic mcgill qf and two epic sfs and 2021 has also given us a classic mcgill qf and two epic sfs. Thus far at least.

But he hadn't won anything yet! he was acting like he'd won the tournament, it was over the top, at least Selby was essentially over the line when he celebrated but he gets mauled over it!

He wasn't acting like he won the tournament. My take on it at the time (as I said earlier) was that he was pumping himself up. Geeing himself and the crowd up.

Murphy's post match interview confirmed this.

The Selby one I am unsure about as I felt it was a message to Bingham. Maybe I am wrong?

Fair play to the two lads anyway. I am expecting a long titanic struggle in the final from them.

One of them will equal a Higgins anyway that is all I know.

• Advertisement

He wasn't acting like he won the tournament. My take on it at the time (as I said earlier) was that he was pumping himself up. Geeing himself and the crowd up.

Murphy's post match interview confirmed this.

The Selby one I am unsure about as I felt it was a message to Bingham. Maybe I am wrong?

Fair play to the two lads anyway. I am expecting a long titanic struggle in the final from them.

One of them will equal a Higgins anyway that is all I know.

It's the double standards that irks me tbh...If Selby did what Shaun did today, or in any other match he would be torn to shreds over it.

What Murphy did wasn't a big deal, but I find it hilarious that people can spin Murphy's action in such a positive light while condemning Selby, even Wilson, his opponent thought it was silly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Genghis

What a great night of snooker.

Would have loved Bingham Vs Murphy, but still immensely looking forward to Selby Murphy.

One positive is that I have a clear favourite to cheer on (couldn't decide between Stuart and Shaun).

I hope Shaun can keep his form, I think he can handle Selby's style, and he can clearly manage a match over 4 sessions. Selby is dangerous though because of his dogged consistency, and he does seem very determined to take the title.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭mistermiyagi

He shook his hand (well bumped elbows)... He was hardly going to wish him well, under the circumstances... He was well annoyed with Selby (rightfully so), but he did the bare minimum, and didn't (imo) 'ignore' him..

He's hardly obliged to pat him on the back/exchange pleasantries, and wish him well... If that's all of the match I saw; I would have been thinking the same as you.. But in this instance, no..

Bingham didn't even look at him at the end. Poor enough form. Smiling away mad throughout the match until he lost.
    Selby rightly called him out for his crass comments afterwards.
    Now, Selby himself made some pretty crass comments when he lost his semi final last year.

It's actually great to see a bit of needle in matches these days. We'll never again see the characters of the 80s, but no one can accuse today's bunch of not having personalities, everyone seems to have their favourites and those they can't stand.

Don't mind a player 'celebrating' myself; when there's still one or two (easy) balls to be potted... Think Yan done it in the masters... But nowhere near the Selby 'over the top premature combative' level - maybe one not so subtle fist pump - but not with Selby's aggression levels... Bad form imo...

No comparison with Murphy - the frame/session was over, and I couldn't read any dig at his opponent from his uppercut fistpumps.. He was just getting himself and the crowd geed up..

But shur, we'll all have our own takes on it; though some may be more biased 'against' Selby, on account of the type of player/character he is...

Vive le difference...

Taking an objective/dispassionate look at the 'celebrations' (say someone who's never watched the game before) I would think they might think it's 'on the outer edge of the ballpark of handbags' , and little more..... Just that our perceptions are mainly based on snooker being very staid (as regards displaying of emotions)

Mon SHAUN!! Bate that Sleeveen Selby :pac:

Don't mind a player 'celebrating' myself; when there's still one or two (easy) balls to be potted... Think Yan done it in the masters... But nowhere near the Selby 'over the top premature combative' level - maybe one not so subtle fist pump - but not with Selby's aggression levels... Bad form imo...

No comparison with Murphy - the frame/session was over, and I couldn't read any dig at his opponent from his uppercut fistpumps.. He was just getting himself and the crowd geed up..

But shur, we'll all have our own takes on it; though some may be more biased 'against' Selby, on account of the type of player/character he is...

Vive le difference...

Taking an objective/dispassionate look at the 'celebrations' (say someone who's never watched the game before) I would think they might think it's 'on the outer edge of the ballpark of handbags' , and little more..... Just that our perceptions are mainly based on snooker being very staid (as regards displaying of emotions)

Mon SHAUN!! Bate that Sleeveen Selby :pac:

On the subject of character you may want to look into Murphy a bit...he's no saint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭eric hoone

The makings of a great final is there- master tactician vs flair player

Genghis wrote: »
    What a great night of snooker.

Would have loved Bingham Vs Murphy, but still immensely looking forward to Selby Murphy.

One positive is that I have a clear favourite to cheer on (couldn't decide between Stuart and Shaun).

I hope Shaun can keep his form, I think he can handle Selby's style, and he can clearly manage a match over 4 sessions. Selby is dangerous though because of his dogged consistency, and he does seem very determined to take the title.

I think psychologically Murphy will have tools to withstand any gamesmanship....

Selby is a very dogged player for sure...

I’m thinking a couple of frames in it 18-16 either way. Genuinely don’t think either player is favorite but with a gun to my head I’ll say Murphy. I hope he wins, think he just about will

On the subject of character you may want to look into Murphy a bit...he's no saint.

Yeah, Murphy's recent past read like a soap opera. :eek:

Funny enough though I think both lads (Selby and Murphy) have a lot in common - besides the Irish wives!

Both come dysfunctional homes/family life both had points to prove and used snooker as an 'out'.

What are you on about? I've been on here more than most defending Selby and all reactions of the players and you're on here all evening repetitively complaining about a player feeling relief and punching the air at the end of a session, after bringing a match back to 12-12 after being down 10-4.

I think it's yourself that needs to cop on.

Selby rightly celebrated that brown. The rest were on their spots and gimmes with his lead. Calm yourself.

Selby is an animal, pure and simple. Not really like a boxer, because with a boxer you can stand up for 12 rounds and hope to beat him on points, but more a prizefighter you have to deliver the knockout blow. Ronnie managed to do it last year, Stuart stayed with him almost to the end but couldnt land that decisive blow. Difference with 2015, he had much the same attitude and it carried him all the way against ronnie, judd and murphy then, but it wasnt enough to sustain the effort against selby. No shame in that defeat. It was a terrific contest, another for the ages.

Interesting the 2020 championship gave us a classic mcgill qf and two epic sfs and 2021 has also given us a classic mcgill qf and two epic sfs. Thus far at least.

The McGill Bingham and Selby Bingham matches will be chalked down as all timers.

That 63min frame yesterday was sport at its very best and of the highest quality.

Pretty sure I know what ya mean. "Bronson and Broads" it could be said (think those were the claims/allegations at the time)...

I think most of us here are speaking on the players' behaviour based strictly on the table/in the arena/their interviews...

If we were to go by their personal lives; I think Ron would be one of the most reviled players of them all... :P

It's not as if they're not human, and in the public eye... Still, I've never heard much about snooker players being up to any 'harmful' type 'criminality'... Quintin Hann, and the French Canadian chap have a lot of 'bad form' there, I believe...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,112 ✭✭✭BQQ

Can’t get my head around what some people have against celebrating
    I mean, can you imagine a soccer player not celebrating a goal?
    Why can a snooker player not celebrate winning a frame or even potting a ball?
    I remember fondly Dennis Taylor sticking his cue in the air with both hands in 1985. Nobody asked Steve Davis if he thought that was disrespectful or a wind up.
    Actually, the line of questioning on both the bbc and Eurosport was bad form I thought.
    Trying to manufacture a grudge by asking leading questions to someone who’s just lost a big match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Christ almighty blue, pink and black on spots it was basically over. You'd prob criticise Selby if he showed no emotion winning a grueling match.

I can understand why some people aren't a fan of Selby but some of the posts on here are pathetically over the top

It's hilarious really, makes me like him all the more.
    Panrich wrote: »

Selby is probably the biggest asset to the game of snooker, as he brings something different to the table, would be a very boring game if all players played the same. Everyone talks about how gritty etc he is, it amazes me however that he never gets the credit he deserves he is an excellent all round player -John Higgins mark II , you dont win multiple world titles by just being gritty.

He gets accused of being misserable - anyone remember the greatest player ever? Then he shows some emotion and gets slated as being disrespectful?? People just perceive everything differently depending on their starting positon of liking or disliking someone.

Binghams safety play was terrible! Very amateur!

I'm glad that he's gone. It will make a better final without him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Augme

The shot time for both Selby and Bingham for their match was identical yet people slaughter Selby over it and say nothing about Bingham. Infect I'm sure they would find a way to blame Selby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

His safety play was absolutely brilliant most of the match... only let him down towards the end.

Nope

Augme wrote: »
    The shot time for both Selby and Bingham for their match was identical yet people slaughter Selby over it and say nothing about Bingham. Infect I'm sure they would find a way to blame Selby.

Yeah, striking similarity between Bingham’s gamesmanship claims and Selby’s at the same stage last year, but Bingham is “telling it like it is” while Selby was just “sour grapes”
    Mostly Ronnie fans salty about how Selby has mostly had his number for years

He was warned once by the referee over slow play so obviously that must have sped him up a touch, shots of a certain difficulty anyway. Took almost 4 minutes over one shot in the 19th frame. That’s a piss take.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭irs

BQQ wrote: »
    Yeah, striking similarity between Bingham’s gamesmanship claims and Selby’s at the same stage last year, but Bingham is “telling it like it is” while Selby was just “sour grapes”
    Mostly Ronnie fans salty about how Selby has mostly had his number for years

Selby had nothing really to complain about last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Genghis

That's interesting, I actually wondered to myself during the match how different they were. Not surprised they were identical (in fact cuetracker.net has Bingham marginally slower by 0.3s a shot).

The other stat I found revealing was no. of breaks over 50. Bingham had 16 (call it one per frame won), Selby had 9 (call it 1 per every 2 frames won).

irs wrote: »
    Selby had nothing really to complain about last year.

That’s not how he saw it.
    Ronnie moving around in his eyeline when he was down on a shot
    That’s way worse than slow play in my opinion

Pretty sure I know what ya mean. "Bronson and Broads" it could be said (think those were the claims/allegations at the time)...

I think most of us here are speaking on the players' behaviour based strictly on the table/in the arena/their interviews...

If we were to go by their personal lives; I think Ron would be one of the most reviled players of them all... :P

It's not as if they're not human, and in the public eye... Still, I've never heard much about snooker players being up to any 'harmful' type 'criminality'... Quintin Hann, and the French Canadian chap have a lot of 'bad form' there, I believe...

It's not even his personal life im talking about, I wouldn't criticize anyone's personal life, none of us are perfect and I doubt many have entirely clean hands.

He's had his moments on the table, and with other players over the years too.

It's not even his personal life im talking about, I wouldn't criticize anyone's personal life, none of us are perfect and I doubt many have entirely clean hands.

He's had his moments on the table, and with other players over the years too.

Oh aye, the chalk thing with Stevie Maguire springs to mind there. A bit unsporting, but I guess as a 'youngster' he was a bit of a stickler for the rules etc..

Seems a more well rounded likeable chap nowadays though.... I used to not like his personality, as he used to come across very ambassadorial , but I'm warming to him a lot in the last 3 or 4 days...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭raclle

^^

For some reason I've always compared the kind of players that go on the BBC and Eurosport. Its like the BBC have the well behaved guys whereas Eurosport has the dodgy lads :P

Advertisement