Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Snooker Championship 2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,472 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Is murphy still based in Celbridge - be brilliant for the club to have the current world champ should he win.

raclle wrote: »
    ^^

For some reason I've always compared the kind of players that go on the BBC and Eurosport. Its like the BBC have the well behaved guys whereas Eurosport has the dodgy lads :P

:D:D

Jack and Judd! Not too much negative regards their behaviour; both on and off the table that we can criticize those two chaps about.... And squeaky clean Ken :D . 'Angles' McManus the same - fek the bbc for thieving him from Eurosport :P

Ron, Jimmy, and to a (lot) lesser extent Fouldsy have a bit of dubious history when it comes to..... stuff :D

Mentioned it earlier in thread, but people talking about 'average shot times' to rebut a well made point is more than a little disingenuous...

Average shot times are decreased (best word I can think of) on account of them playing quick; when they're among the balls/breakbuilding..

I don't have a major point to make on this (as there's no 'hard and fast rule' on how long a player has to take a shot) , but, when a player (let's face it, I'm talking about Slowby :pac: here) is playing a safety (and not really considering a pot) - it's usually straightforward - either a containing one (roll to the reds/white on black cushion) , or up to baulk - ; maybe 20 seconds to make their minds up, and another 20-25 seconds to fully commit to that shot, and then take the bloody shot!

But Mark Selby, being purposely ponderous - for whatever reason - often manages to take 1m 30 seconds plus to take that shot, and he's doing it for a reason (to upset his opponent, being the only one I believe) , as I doubt when it comes to tactics that he's unsure (moreso, if he hasn't got a pot on) regarding his shot choice.

So fek yis (in the nicest possible way :) ) all using 'AST' as a response in 'defence' / 'justification' (in other words - but if you look at the match as a whole, both the players, on average, take the same amount of time per shot :rolleyes:) to posters who put forward the obvious (to us who believe it) premise that Selby is taking over the odds timewise to play them no-brainer safeties..

Like I said - disengenuous.

Enjoy the final tomorrow later on today and tomorrow, and let's hope the best man wins - SHAUNNN!!!!! - and that we'll have plenty to agree and argue about.. Unless, we're so engrossed during match, we don't bother posting :D Still plenty of breaks/intervals to shoot the breeze in a match that this poster feels won't be an anticlimax :P :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭raclle

Ron, Jimmy, and to a (lot) lesser extent Fouldsy have a bit of dubious history when it comes to..... stuff :D
    Its some of the other guests too :D:D like a rough pub attracting a rough crowd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

Tomorrows match is like a battle for the soul of the snooker universe, you have snooker's last hope Shaun Murphy vs the dour evil Mark Selby who hopes to snatch the title and take over the world:pac:

• Advertisement

raclle wrote: »
    Its some of the other guests too :D:D like a rough pub attracting a rough crowd

I remember once Ronnie Wood was on the couch (BC :P I believe) , and Ron was there too.. It was like Ronald Antonio was bigger than sliced bread :P , even though Mr Wood is waay more famous (well, over a long space of time anyway) ; with his (that he's a member of) band, most likely the most successful/famous of all time - apart from the Beatles maybe - , but they're long since disbanded.. :P

A rough crowd indeed :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Oh aye, the chalk thing with Stevie Maguire springs to mind there. A bit unsporting, but I guess as a 'youngster' he was a bit of a stickler for the rules etc..

Seems a more well rounded likeable chap nowadays though.... I used to not like his personality, as he used to come across very ambassadorial , but I'm warming to him a lot in the last 3 or 4 days...

Murphy actually spoke about the maguire chalk incident recently. The accepted version always reflected very badly on him, but he gives a very different account of it here.

https://metro.co.uk/2021/02/19/shaun-murphy-gives-his-side-of-chalk-incident-with-stephen-maguire-17-years-on-14109516/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

A kerryman once retorted to me, when I told him Paul Galvin was a bollix: "oh he's a bollix alright boy but he's our bollix" I imagie those close to Mark Selby hold similar sentiment.

Murphy actually spoke about the maguire chalk incident recently. The accepted version always reflected very badly on him, but he gives a very different account of it here.

https://metro.co.uk/2021/02/19/shaun-murphy-gives-his-side-of-chalk-incident-with-stephen-maguire-17-years-on-14109516/

Interesting read Joe - thanks for that. I reckon that when it gets mentioned intermittently, that the pundits just want to have some 'controversy' (not that it's in any way controversial - even if it were true; then Shaun wasn't guilty of anything.. )

Wonder why the 'beef' lasted so long - maybe there never was one and/or maybe they aint 'friends' / friendly off the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭someyoke

BQQ wrote: »
    That’s not how he saw it.
    Ronnie moving around in his eyeline when he was down on a shot
    That’s way worse than slow play in my opinion

This was a view he had at the time which wasn't backed up by camera footage of actual shot he was talking about. It was a green or yellow but was played opposite from side Ronnie was seated, and wasn't in his eyeline.

It was telling what John Parrott said tonight, Selby will be delighted as he was texting him all sorts during final last year after being 'burgled' in semi by Ronnie. He was just fuming as he thought he had Ronnie's number and couldn't comprehend a defeat in a long drawn out crucible match.

Difference with Bingham/Wilson comments tonight is they won't hold it against opponents long term but Selby is still sore today and seemingly hasn't spoken a word to Ronnie since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭raclle

someyoke wrote: »
    It was telling what John Parrott said tonight, Selby will be delighted as he was texting him all sorts during final last year after being 'burgled' in semi by Ronnie.
    I'd say most of them have some stories to tell

Interesting read Joe - thanks for that. I reckon that when it gets mentioned intermittently, that the pundits just want to have some 'controversy' (not that it's in any way controversial - even if it were true; then Shaun wasn't guilty of anything.. )

Wonder why the 'beef' lasted so long - maybe there never was one and/or maybe they aint 'friends' / friendly off the table.

Whether it was a true story or not, i think the view of shaun around that time was it seemed like the kind of thing he might do so people, including maguire, simply believed it. So obviously was a bit bitter for a while but think it ran out of steam years ago. 17 years would be a long time to bear a grudge i think, even for stevie maguire! And I'd say even shaun would admit he's a lot better person now than he was then, he's matured a lot. If you'd told me 2,3 years ago that he and mark allen would be best buds on tour, I'd have laughed you out of the room. Definitely snookers "odd couple" if you ask me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

mickdw wrote: »
    Is murphy still based in Celbridge - be brilliant for the club to have the current world champ should he win.

Ballinteer I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Over 100 centuries so far and the final will have a few.
    As recently as 2006, 15 years ago the total centuries were 46. That's with Ronnie, Higgins, Williams at their peak and Hendry still knocking about.

Ballinteer I think

Lives out there alright, and has his practice table set up in Stephens Green.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Binghams safety play was terrible! Very amateur!

I'm glad that he's gone. It will make a better final without him!

He played the 2nd best safety of anyone this tournament, he got beaten by the best safety player of all time.

I don’t just mean in this match, his tactical play was unreal all the way through. Which is a big change for Bingham.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Going to be trouble here at 9 choosing between line of duty final and snooker final!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Don't really like either player, but, probably prefer Murphy to win as he doesn't get involved in gamesmanship to the levels Selby does (who does). When Selby first arrived on the scene I actually liked him, but, his behaviour over the years has turned me off completely. He's a fine player, but, very hard to watch and obviously tries to suck the life out of his opponents which works in the longer matches at the crucible, doesn't work as well in the shorter matches as I suppose less time for his opponent to get frustrated.

I don't have a problem with the celebrations of either player yesterday, both were understandable, Murphy had just come back to level from what liked like a hopeless position at one stage and session was over, Selby was virtually in the final with just the blue on it's spot to confirm his place in the final. Bingham did elbow nudge him at end so definitely didn't ignore him as some have said, thought he gave a fair assessment on Selby in his interview, would imagine most players on the tour would be of the same opinion regarding Selby's gamesmanship. What Selby said last year was much worse and just came across as sour grapes as he couldn't believe he'd lost a match he looked in total control of.
    Let's hope it's a good final, but, can see Selby grinding his way to a win.

I like Selby.... not only can he play every shot in the game and earned his years as #1, but he has a biblical level of patience. And if there's one sport where patience is KEY it's snooker. There are no prizes for winning a frame quickly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I like Selby.... not only can he play every shot in the game and earned his years as #1, but he has a biblical level of patience. And if there's one sport where patience is KEY it's snooker. There are no prizes for winning a frame quickly!

I didn't really any preference on who I wanted to win the final until I read the last 200 or so posts on this thread.
    I guess it's the stubborn mule in me now that I want Selby to win - because of all of the obvious biased comments made by the large contingent of posters here.
    Such rubbish - criticizing celebrating. Snooker is seen as a gentlemans sport, but the competitors are human at the end of the day. Nothing wrong with expressing those emotions. I presume some of those same supporters are watching their Liverpools and Man Us across the waters - players shouting and hugging each other when scoring a goal. Remember, the game is not over. Dart players give the roar when they get the 180. Tennis players get pumped up every couple of minutes - shouting and throwing rackets.
    I genuinely would love if some of the posters would give a reason why it's not ok for a snooker players to punch the air when celebrating an important shot, but it is ok for Darts, soccer, tennis, rugby etc.
    Snooker needs something to get away from the tedious soft image that it has.
    Alex Higgins, White, gave it something back in the day. Ronnie is holding the fort on it in the more modern generation.
    As another poster said, a panto needs a villain. And Selby is the go-to person for that now.
    It's not that I have great time for him, but I find his matches really interesting. I'm not excited by century breaks in 5 minutes. I love the slow tactical spells in the game, the tension and who will crack under the pressure. I'd much prefer Selby and Murphy in the final than Bingham and Murphy.

• Advertisement

Exuberant celebrations have always been part of the game, as long as I've been watching. Cliff Thorburn once took the hump at Steve Davis fist pumping a pot, ref had to step in and thorburn angrily confronted Davis backstage, calling him an "arrogant b'tard" and vowing to "get him" the next session when match resumed. Thorburn barely won another frame! Needle an essential part of sport and always has been. Selby is as box office as snooker gets nowadays, apart from ronnie obviously who's in a league of his own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Augme

Have to say I this this is the best match up of the semi finalists. The two contrasting styles are going to be fascinating. Through in the added dimension that both players are coaches by the same person as it really is going to be intriguing to see how both players approach it and how that dynamic is handled.

Selby will be dying to slow it down while murphy will want to be as free flowing as possible. If Murphy can nail how long potting though it is difficult to see how even Selby can slow him down. His safety okay will need to be immense and even in the last session against Bingham it probably wasn't at the level it would need to be again Murphy in peak form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭spurshero

Over 100 centuries so far and the final will have a few.
    As recently as 2006, 15 years ago the total centuries were 46. That's with Ronnie, Higgins, Williams at their peak and Hendry still knocking about.
    Would be fairly sure the pockets are a lot more friendly now then they were 15 years ago .

spurshero wrote: »
    Would be fairly sure the pockets are a lot more friendly now then they were 15 years ago .

Slicker cloths is what has really changed the game, so much easier to manoeuvre cue ball and split packs. Back in the 80s you'd have to really put your shoulder through a shot to break up a pack, now they do it with ease. Not to mention under table heating and the fact kicks have been, if not fully eliminated, at least drastically reduced. It's just an entirely different set up now so you cant really compare imo.

Augme wrote: »
    Have to say I this this is the best match up of the semi finalists. The two contrasting styles are going to be fascinating. Through in the added dimension that both players are coaches by the same person as it really is going to be intriguing to see how both players approach it and how that dynamic is handled.
    Did you hear Selby’s ‘dig’ about who pays Henry the most?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭spurshero

Hard to know what to make of the final . Ya would imagine selby will grind him down . If Murphy can keep up lasts nights form then he will win but that is nigh on impossible over 2 days . Let’s hope it’s a good one .

Murphy will need to improve his break considerably to have a chance of winning I feel, Selby won't let him off the hook as often as Wilson did

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Wonder how many camera shots or mention of Vicki Selby we will be treated to during the final Denis taylor also mentioned her at any opportunity.

Slicker cloths is what has really changed the game, so much easier to manoeuvre cue ball and split packs. Back in the 80s you'd have to really put your shoulder through a shot to break up a pack, now they do it with ease. Not to mention under table heating and the fact kicks have been, if not fully eliminated, at least drastically reduced. It's just an entirely different set up now so you cant really compare imo.

I knew this was a big difference to back in the 80s but didn't think the set up in the 2000s was all that different to now.

Someone says generous pockets but everyone around the game says that is not the case. Jimmy was saying it last night about that black that dropped for Selby. I have faith in Jimmy. He's a good lad. Wouldn't tell us a pork pie.

• Advertisement

I knew this was a big difference to back in the 80s but didn't think the set up in the 2000s was all that different to now.

Someone says generous pockets but everyone around the game says that is not the case. Jimmy was saying it last night about that black that dropped for Selby. I have faith in Jimmy. He's a good lad. Wouldn't tell us a pork pie.

Willo said on twitter they were biggest pockets he'd seen in 20 years. But you know willo, maybe he's just making mischief? But i dont get too caught up in the pockets thing anymore tbh, people just have their different views. I think the faster tables have made the biggest difference, those ultra thin cloths they've been using over the past decade or so and they say balls have a tendency to slide in more easily because of them. But i'm not a professional table fitter so i couldn't swear on that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭tanko

Addle wrote: »
    Going to be trouble here at 9 choosing between line of duty final and snooker final!

I wouldn't worry, watch all of Line of duty and you'll only miss two or three re-racks and half a frame in the snooker.

Did you hear Selby’s ‘dig’ about who pays Henry the most?

I did. I assume it's not actually going to work that way! Wonder will he just work in each players mindset rather than on the tactical side of the opponent.

spurshero wrote: »
    Hard to know what to make of the final . Ya would imagine selby will grind him down . If Murphy can keep up lasts nights form then he will win but that is nigh on impossible over 2 days . Let’s hope it’s a good one .

The thing is, on last night form he's almost only needs to do that for one good session and he would be in a hugely strong position. Wilson did play badly and he could have easily lost that session 8-0 or 7-1 at best (if it was a proper session). If Murphy can play to that level for a session and a half then it's game over. Selby just doesn have that level.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭FR01

Tough losing a semi final and walking back stage and having a microphone shoved in your face. Selby had a go at Ron last year, and if you look back over the years almost everyone interviewed has said something that they probably regret later.

Bingham just annoyed he was roped in by Selby, it’s not as if it’s a surprise that Selby starts grinding things out, that’s his game. He’s done it many times before and it’s a certainly he’ll do it again over the next two days.

Which brings me to the final, can’t see anything but a Selby win, granted Murphy playing superb snooker but he won’t be left the openings Wilson was leaving him.

Expect a good start from Murphy before Selby as Hendry said “does what he does”

Enjoy folks !

Big moment soon. In the wider sense.

A full crowd again after 14 months.

• Advertisement

The thing is, on last night form he's almost only needs to do that for one good session and he would be in a hugely strong position. Wilson did play badly and he could have easily lost that session 8-0 or 7-1 at best (if it was a proper session). If Murphy can play to that level for a session and a half then it's game over. Selby just doesn have that level.
    You think a 3 time world champion doesn't have that level?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

Settled on the couch waiting for this to start. Hoping for a Murphy win!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,465 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Crucible full of doctors it looks like

More of a lurker than a poster in this forum but I have to say this is the biggest load of nonsense I have read in here.

Love or loathe Selby he clearly has that level, no doubt his highest level is higher than Murphy’s.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭mistermiyagi

Coventry Brian in the box seat again.

• Advertisement

Brian Wright watch

Back in his seat beside Selby

Seems to have a Coventry city retro face mask. What a legend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,061 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Wonder how many camera shots or mention of Vicki Selby we will be treated to during the final Denis taylor also mentioned her at any opportunity.

We can have a drinking game everytime Dennis mentions Vicki you take a shot of your favourite tipple :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

Wow! That's unexpected to say the least

This would be a big frame for Murphy to steal. Especially if he wins two frames that turned into safety battles.

I hope Murphy doesn’t get too cocky. He looked a bit smug there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

dobman88 wrote: »
    Wow! That's unexpected to say the least

So was Selby staying in his seat when he just needs 2 snookers

begbysback wrote: »

Lol. I actually was surprised by that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

begbysback wrote: »

That was a massive surprise!

I hope Murphy doesn’t get too cocky. He looked a bit smug there.

It's his normal look imo. And one of the reasons I find it hard to like him. By all accounts from lads I know who have met him a bunch of times, he's a genuinely nice guy but I just think he comes across as trying to be almost too nice that it seems fake or forced.

Dunno what it is but find it hard to warm to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭tanko

We can have a drinking game everytime Dennis mentions Vicki you take a shot of your favourite tipple :)

I wouldn’t do that, you’ll be wasted after the first frame if Dennis is commentating.

• Advertisement
Advertisement