Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Snooker Championship 2021

Comments

GWAN SPUD! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Augme

Really threw that frame away did murphy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,843 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Augme wrote: »
    Really threw that frame away did murphy.

He had Selby under pressure and one careless shot, pink nowhere near the cushion almost 10 inches away and what should have been 3 up is now 1 up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Shaun has undone a lot of his good work - great start and made it easy in's for Selby.

It will be interesting to see how Shaun reacts.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,908 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

dobman88 wrote: »
    It's his normal look imo. And one of the reasons I find it hard to like him. By all accounts from lads I know who have met him a bunch of times, he's a genuinely nice guy but I just think he comes across as trying to be almost too nice that it seems fake or forced.

Dunno what it is but find it hard to warm to him.

That's exactly how I feel about him. I'm sure he's probably a nice guy and all but it's just the impression I get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

I don't know if Judd Trump should be listened to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Have to say i was ever so slightly encouraged by that bbc discussion because it's not often you hear them tackling the obvious issues in the game so head on like that. It's usually how brilliant all the players are, how great everything is. For parrott to even say about the uk "there's nothing coming through" feels very significant and a sign maybe they're making progress at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

sligeach wrote: »
    I don't know if Judd Trump should be listened to.

I think innovations are allways good to look at and she how they would work. I mean with the dress code look smart no one want to see people in a tracksuit.

Does some really need a telling off. We see players while there is an applause on other tables

The dress code should be left as is, it's tradition. I was hoping Ken would ask the audience to give their reaction before the match resumed. I think they'd be for keeping it as it is, like the people out on the streets of Sheffield were asked.

• Advertisement

Rothko wrote: »
    That's exactly how I feel about him. I'm sure he's probably a nice guy and all but it's just the impression I get.

I used to think that about Murphy as well to be honest - always tries to say and do the 'right' thing. Holier than thou bit.

But maybe as a consequence of that showed no fight and belief. Now the fist pumps, bravery, and the comebacks have now turned me around. He has 'switched on' he cares, he believes again, he interacts with the crowd. Out of his shell a bit.
    I think it is great to see.

Plus he is representing Dublin. If he does win it might even inspire a few future Irish snooker players.

The dress code should be left as is, it's tradition. I was hoping Ken would ask the audience to give their reaction before the match resumed. I think they'd be for keeping it as it is, like the people out on the streets of Sheffield were asked.

TBH, if the dress code is enough to put someone off snooker, then I doubt that they would've made a career out of it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭raclle

The dress code should be left as is, it's tradition.
    If they were ever to change it the only thing suitable really would be something similar to the golf dress code minus the caps and shorts or just change the top half to a casual shirt

raclle wrote: »
    If they were ever to change it the only thing suitable really would be something similar to the golf dress code minus the caps and shorts or just change the top half to a casual shirt

Smart/casual would work I think. But when flicking through channels when you see the waistcoat and dickie bow you immediately know - 'snooker'. I have a feeling that unique recognition would be lost if the dress code changed.

The snooker shootout fellas look like they wandered in off the street/pub for the casual watcher. That is the vibe they seem to want for that.

I think Lisowski is right a 'classier' snooker shoot-out vibe is the way to go. It would take time though and a cultural change.

John Parrott and Steve Davis were sitting uncomfortably in their chairs. They are out and out snooker traditionalists and hate the thought of even discussing any change.

Selby always looks funny when he is stretching for a long shot, and bends his leg in the air. Funny looking habit.

TBH, if the dress code is enough to put someone off snooker, then I doubt that they would've made a career out of it anyway.

Hendry's idea was a good one once a player needs snookers = frame over.
    If going by this thread is any indication it would please the cohort who cannot stand safety play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

I used to think that about Murphy as well to be honest - always tries to say and do the 'right' thing. Holier than thou bit.

But maybe as a consequence of that showed no fight and belief. Now the fist pumps, bravery, and the comebacks have now turned me around. He has 'switched on' he cares, he believes again, he interacts with the crowd. Out of his shell a bit.
    I think it is great to see.

Plus he is representing Dublin. If he does win it might even inspire a few future Irish snooker players.

Funnily enough, that's what has turned me the last few days also. Seeing him play up to the crowd, getting himself going, few fist pumps. Nothing wrong with any of it and the added bonus of absolutely rattling Wilson, even though he said it didnt, it definitely did.

I'd like to see him win here too for the same reasons. Young lads in Ireland will be told the World Champion is playing here, they'll have access to him and it would be great promotion for the game here.

Leaving Shaun the tempters.... Hon Murph
    Didn't go for it..

Ah feck Selby I thought he was in trouble there. Reds were like an orchard if he missed that red.

If going by this thread is any indication it would please the cohort who cannot stand safety play.
    There's pros and cons to that idea I feel. Like if you only need one or two snookers that's achievable and brings that tension to the game but if we have scenarios of needing 4 unlikely snookers only to drag out the frame for another needless 20 minutes can be frustrating to say the least

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Acting the maggot a bit now

• Advertisement

Is it not a bit of gamesmanship, Selby playing on when he needs 4 snookers? Trying to put Murphy off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Virgo bending over backwards there to try to give Selby some credit for obviously conceding - and then he gets up and plays on anyway!

Whatever about Hendry's idea of snookers required being the end of the frame, I really wouldn't mind a rule that stops someone like Selby actively being a bit of a prick about things.

Glad Murphy polished it off quickly enough anyway and didn't let Selby suck too much life out of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

raclle wrote: »

If they're going to change it why not go the whole hog; lycra to make sure nobody ever brushes against a ball by mistake. Stephen Lee would really rock that look...

I think it'd be a horrible idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I've been avoiding watching the tournament because it sucks you in and I've work to do, but I wouldn't mind watching a bit of the final,esp. when there's someone (i.e. not Selby) to root for - is it streamable anywhere without a vpn?

MUUUUUUUURPPPPPPPPPHHHHHHHHH Come on !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭tjhook

One thing that separates snooker from most (all?) other sports is the sportsmanship. If a player knows he did something wrong, even if nobody else picks it up, he'll put his hand up. It's a quaint concept in this day and age.

If snooker was like other sports, we'd have players trying to hide their own fouls, claiming an opponent's foul when they think they can get away with it, facing up to the referee when they don't like a call, and doing cartwheels every time they pot a ball.

I think in that context, old-fashioned formalwear is fitting.

I wonder say if player was loosing 5-2... they need 4 plus snookers to win the frame, the balls are not positioned in a manner conducive to obtaining snookers ... will they think, ‘ok, frame is lost, I’ll try instead to get under the skin of the opponent, just getting them back to their seat-table-seat-table or just try to obtain snookers ?

Huge fluke by Murphy, deserves it. Selby has had some luck.

Did you see how quick Mark was getting out of the chair when he thought Murphy had missed the pink? He was up before it even hit the jaw of the middle pocket. Get back in your seat! :D

MUUUUUUUURPPPPPPPPPHHHHHHHHH Come on !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He getting the luck of the Irish at the moment

• Advertisement

tjhook wrote: »
    One thing that separates snooker from most (all?) other sports is the sportsmanship. If a player knows he did something wrong, even if nobody else picks it up, he'll put his hand up. It's a quaint concept in this day and age.

If snooker was like other sports, we'd have players trying to hide their own fouls, claiming an opponent's foul when they think they can get away with it, facing up to the referee when they don't like a call, and doing cartwheels every time they pot a ball.

I think in that context, old-fashioned formalwear is fitting.

I love the sportsmanship of it, especially when you compare it to something like soccer.

I think it'd be a horrible idea.

It's a horrible idea in and of itself, but it does address a real problem.

Could there be a limit? Say, 10 points ahead with snookers required and the frame is over?

Just to curb an energy vampire like Selby's gamesmanship, and also keep the game actually moving along for the viewers.

I love a good long safety exchange - but that's not what's really happening when someone like Selby comes back to the table with the frame dead and buried. There's no real stakes, we all know it's over, it's purely there to irritate the other player with no other real purpose.

As discussed above, Snooker is a game where people call fouls on themselves - it feels very at-odds with that to have this sort of gamesmanship.

4 all so... Or maybe not.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Some drama in this frame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Augme

Some swings in this frame!

Strumms wrote: »
    I wonder say if player was loosing 5-2... they need 4 plus snookers to win the frame, the balls are not positioned in a manner conducive to obtaining snookers ... will they think, ‘ok, frame is lost, I’ll try instead to get under the skin of the opponent, just getting them back to their seat-table-seat-table or just try to obtain snookers ?
    I think it depends on the player. Actually the more I think about it they should bring in a rule of anything more than two snookers and the frame is over. Seems like a happy medium

Shaun should really have been further ahead, but it's still huge that he came out of that session ahead. Would've been some blow for it to be 4-4 with all the chances he had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Jaysus, do the lads have no privacy? Camera's in the dressing room!

Hendry practicing for the seniors Championship in the background.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Selby is getting ridiculously unlucky the last two games and playing poorly.

Hard to call if it keeps up like this.
    Murphy is detestable.

No ones allowed in there - Steve on about the dressing rooms - But, FFS, the cameras showing the players :eek:

Don't sit well with me at all... Shockink form imo....

And a deserved (bit lucky last frame tho) lead for the Dub :)

MON SPUD!!! :D

Did you see how quick Mark was getting out of the chair when he thought Murphy had missed the pink? He was up before it even hit the jaw of the middle pocket. Get back in your seat! :D

That were great - pity, though, as the camera didn't pan to him when pink went in (not that I seen) - he must've been sick :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Saw that, wasn't long sitting back down :D, great frame for Murphy to win

No ones allowed in there - Steve on about the dressing rooms - But, FFS, the cameras showing the players :eek:

Don't sit well with me at all... Shockink form imo....

And a deserved (bit lucky last frame tho) lead for the Dub :)

MON SPUD!!! :D

Odd...Should be no cameras allowed in the players dressing rooms that’s stupid, what absolute fûckwit came up with that idea and why ? What interest or entertainment value is to be had from watching a snooker player put on their jacket, put their cue away and close the door as they have a piss ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

They’ve shown the dressing rooms on tv for years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Not new they have a camera in the dressing room for the final. Seems only bbc showing that.

Strumms wrote: »
    Odd...Should be no cameras allowed in the players dressing rooms that’s stupid, what absolute fûckwit came up with that idea and why ? What interest or entertainment value is to be had from watching a snooker player put on their jacket, put their cue away and close the door as they have a piss ?

Way beyond odd... Completely fqed up - I saw Selby's bathroom/toilet door was more than a little ajar... And being the perverted pr1ck I am; I was half hoping he was going to take a leak :D

Bloody Disgrace that - if I were the players, I'd 'rare up' , 'cover the camera' , 'make a lewd gesture' (or at least think about it :p COS THE RUDDY CAMERAS SHOULD NOT BE THERE, and if they are, they should never be used by the TV companies)

Just reading an article from the Independent about Shaun Murphy's background.

It is premium, but can read if for free if you log on.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/snooker/i-was-beaten-to-within-an-inch-of-my-life-and-left-for-dead-in-the-humanities-block-toilets-39411790.html

It was written in July 2020. Really detailed article lot's of hard hitting bits in it.

The parts that stood out to me was not just the bullying aspect. It was the following bits -

"Ronnie comes from an extremely privileged world, the only snooker player to come from a multi-millionaire background. He classes himself as the people's champion but he doesn't have anything in common with the man on the street.

"Yet somehow he has harnessed this working-class image and it's marvellous marketing. As a child, we had absolutely nothing.

"We went to jumble sales to make ends meet. I come from a serious rough side of the tracks. Then he talks about bullying? And I'm thinking you've no idea what the word means."

--

'Nobody knows who Shaun Murphy really is. He's still finding out, too. He remembers a few years ago driving around a roundabout in Kilcock on speakerphone to his uncle.

"My relations' old farmstead was on that exact spot in the last century," he smiles. He always knew there was some Irish in him, apart from the name.

His mother's lot hail from Donabate in north Co Dublin, his father's from Kilcock in Co Kildare.

"My passport says I'm British and I'm obviously English but I feel as Irish as anyone. It was made out very clearly we had Irish heritage.

"My grandfather may well have been involved in certain activities which may have been why he was shipped over to Manchester…" '

--

Also Murphy had to be dragged into the Irish snooker circle. Because again he felt he would not 'fit in' initially. He was also shocked at how few places there were to practise/play snooker in Ireland despite having a former World Champion.

Hendry practicing for the seniors Championship in the background.

Praying that his 'frame over if snookers are needed' idea is trailed at the Senior's Championship...no doubt :D

Praying that his 'frame over if snookers are needed' idea is trailed at the Senior's Championship...no doubt :D

Nearly turned Virgo's world upside down... :pac: Baffled would be an understatement :P

As ideas/ways of changing the game go - surely not being allowed play on when snookers are required is way 'out there' - Didn't think Hendry was the type to 'imbibe' :pac: Only Heard Virgo's take on it - missed the bit where Hendry brought it up... I wonder what Parrott and Steve thought about it..

• Advertisement
Advertisement