Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Snooker Championship 2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Definitely not the same needle that was there between Selby and Bingham last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,358 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

This could get ugly.

Pogue eile wrote: »
    Definitely not the same needle that was there between Selby and Bingham last night.

Give it time. ;)

Murphy is lucky there is only this frame left, he is all over the place, Selby has broke him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Poor from Murphy have to take every chance your given

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,005 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Surprised at Murphy wanting to risk going into the pack off the missed black with two reds easily available, not thinking straight , not potting great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Murphy very lucky this is last frame, confidence gone atm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

Murphy very lucky this is last frame, confidence gone atm

He'll probably benefit most from the overnight break.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

While there is a long way to go, it's hard to look past Selby from here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,005 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Fûck, that’s mad, did that drift to the right ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Have to punish this now. Have to

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Such an important frame and good safety being played.

Great shot by Murphy, given the situation.

What must it have been like before the referee had monitored assistance? I watched back then, but I don't remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Emperor.

Quickfire question

Why did Murphy underachieve relative to 2005, or is the answer obvious here ?

He looks a little short in the grey matter department I reckon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

Nice safety play in this fame.

All told I'd still back J Higgins over Selby.

Higgins also demolished Selby 2 months ago 6-0. Selby scored something like 23 points.

11-6 in Selby's favour in ranking matches played.

Emperor. wrote: »
    Quickfire question

Why did Murphy underachieve relative to 2005, or is the answer obvious here ?

He looks a little short in the grey matter department I reckon

He was an overnight sensation at 22, only Hendry has won WC at a younger age. And he later picked up the UK Championship and Masters, to join select club of triple crown winners. Your latter comment betrays ignorance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,965 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

sligeach wrote: »
    What must it have been like before the referee had monitored assistance? I watched back then, but I don't remember.

They guessed. A lot of player involvement with the ref and then they just agreed to what was 'close enough'.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

He was an overnight sensation at 22, only Hendry has won at a younger age. And he later picked up the UK Championship and Masters, to join select club of triple crown winners. Your latter comment betrays ignorance.

You reckon he's got a smart shot selection ?

I dunno , looks look he plays straight into Selbys hands

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

Thought Murphy would have gone for the double there

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

The back handed compliments continuously fired at Selby by the BBC commentators is annoying. They're almost annoyed at him for not giving up chances to his opponent. I thought that was the ****ing point of the game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,574 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Needed a Ronnie blast and hope there. That kiss was the end

I know Murphy's plan here he just wants to wait until he gets 6 frames behind again. Then strike....

Houdini wouldn't get out of this situation Murphy faces. 3 snookers, can't see it happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭BQQ

Needed a Ronnie blast and hope there. That kiss was the end

Should have Come off the cushion
    Any time someone hits a swerve like that they are on the back foot

corny wrote: »
    The back handed compliments continuously fired at Selby by the BBC commentators is annoying. They're almost annoyed at him for not giving up chances to his opponent. I thought that was the ****ing point of the game!

Have to laugh at this because a while ago McManus got accused of fawning over Selby by posters.

I think it is getting to the point where the commentator (Dennis) is worried that there won't be close in a few more frames. So they end up half shouting for the fella that is struggling.

The end, for tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭FR01

Murphy fortunate the session was only nine frames tonight. Selby wins it 7-2 and has won 8 out of the last 11 frames. Murphy needs a fast start tomorrow !

I know Murphy's plan here he just wants to wait until he gets 6 frames behind again. Then strike....

He needs tommorow to be almost as good as yesterday now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 172 ✭✭xabi_a

Thank god that's over.

They all talk about Selby's great "matchplay". What's the difference between normal snooker skills and "matchplay"? At the end of the day, you either win a frame or lose it.

xabi_a wrote: »
    Thank god that's over.

They all talk about Selby's great "matchplay". What's the difference between normal snooker skills and "matchplay"? At the end of the day, you either win a frame or lose it.

Choice of shot mostly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭BQQ

Haha
    Ronnie seriously wound up on Eurosport
    Love it!

Thank god that's over.

Nah there is a way of doing it. Tying a fella up when required then go for it.

Remember Selby got a 90 and a 57 in the last four frames. Murphy got nothing of note. It is all about sensing when to go for it and when not to. When the opponent is down or when the opponent is up.

It goes beyond 'normal snooker' pure and utter constant concentration until the opponents rhythm is completely and utterly crushed. So even if the opponent gets a chance they likely miss.

Ronnie putting you in the picture alright. Bust the balls open.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭FrKurtFahrt

Murphy needs to stop taking himself seriously. All this mannerly and ambassadorial stuff needs to be knocked on the head. I think Selby is the better player, and will win - however, to have any chance, Murphy must go and attack.

Murphy needs to stop taking himself seriously. All this mannerly and ambassadorial stuff needs to be knocked on the head. I think Selby is the better player, and will win - however, to have any chance, Murphy must go and attack.

Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

In fairness, ROS has a point. Shaun won't win this playing Selbys game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭AllForIt

BQQ wrote: »
    Haha
    Love it!

First time I've seen him get passionate. Normally he's just slumped in his chair looking like he doens't want to be there.

I hope Murphy was listening or what Ronnie said is passed on to him because what he said was dead right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

When murphy was 2-0 up early doors, he had great chances to make it 3/4-0 respectively. Small margins, I would say its game over now that murphy has to chase it against Selby

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

What's the difference between normal snooker skills and "matchplay"?

Nothing. Great matchplayer and great competitor are just euphemisms. Selby's brilliance at safety play is what's giving him the edge here.

It's like watching Floyd Mayweather. Boring as **** because he gives his opponent nothing to hit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭Augme

Easy to talk about bei g agressige but earlier on when he was agressige he missed and let Selby in to clear up twice as well. He just needs to make better decisions really. Too many of safety shots have simply been poorly executed and he seems to be a bit lazy in his approach to that side of his game.

You can see he has just been ground down by Selby really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

Muppet Man wrote: »
    In fairness, ROS has a point. Shaun won't win this playing Selbys game.

Its not that simple, sometimes you have to play the table and matches just go scrappy and awkward.

You're not always going to get the chance to stay in perfect rhythm, you can't really blitz your way through these marathon matches, they ebb and flow.

Its not that simple, sometimes you have to play the table and matches just go scrappy and awkward.

You're not always going to get the chance to stay in perfect rhythm, you can't really blitz your way through these marathon matches, they ebb and flow.

The evidence is that Ronnie O'Sullivan type players have to adapt their game again the likes of Selby

corny wrote: »
    Nothing. Great matchplayer and great competitor are just euphemisms. Selby's brilliance at safety play is what's giving him the edge here.

It's like watching Floyd Mayweather. Boring as **** because he gives his opponent nothing to hit.

I don't agree with this at all. Normal snooker is people just playing the frame and the table.

A good match play fella plays the table and the opponent. And keeps at it as much as they can. No loose shots. Everything calculated based on what the player think their strengths and the opponents weakness are. Plus I don't think it is boring at all. I watch to see how Selby works the angles does he get it tight to rail each time? Has he covered the easy escape. Is Murphy looking flustered? Etc.

Example of two contrasting players with differing success.

Lisowski plays snooker.
    Selby plays matchplay snooker.

Massive difference.

Arguably Lisowski is the better snooker player, but miles behind on match play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭B2021M

I don't agree with this at all. Normal snooker is people just playing the frame and the table.

A good match play fella plays the table and the opponent. And keeps at it as much as they can. No loose shots. Everything calculated based on what the player think their strengths and the opponents weakness are. Plus I don't think it is boring at all. I watch to see how Selby works the angles does he get it tight to rail each time? Has he covered the easy escape. Is Murphy looking flustered? Etc.

Example of two contrasting players with differing success.

Lisowski plays snooker.
    Selby plays matchplay snooker.

Massive difference.

Arguably Lisowski is the better snooker player, but miles behind on match play.

Yes! Will be interesting to see but i dont expect to see Lisowski winning a world title any time soon (or ever!)

B2021M wrote: »
    Yes! Will be interesting to see but i dont expect to see Lisowski winning a world title any time soon (or ever!)

That is why he started the commentary I feel.

There was a bit where that Radzi fella was interviewing commentators asked Lisowski before the final.

'What would it me to you Jack if you ever got to a world final?'

Lisowski: (little laugh) 'Everything'

He said it real forlornly because he knows he does not have the full snooker game to do it. Very talented at just playing snooker, but has no notion of even coming close to the likes of Selby and his snooker matchplay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭raclle

AllForIt wrote: »
    I hope Murphy was listening or what Ronnie said is passed on to him because what he said was dead right.
    I also agree with Ronnie's comments. Do ya reckon players watch these discussions and maybe heed some advice from it? Being out there I can only imagine how easy it is to get sucked into Selby's game

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭B2021M

That is why he started the commentary I feel.

There was a bit where that Radzi fella was interviewing commentators asked Lisowski before the final.

'What would it me to you Jack if you ever got to a world final?'

Lisowski: (little laugh) 'Everything'

He said it real forlornly because he knows he does not have the full snooker game to do it. Very talented at just playing snooker, but has no notion of even coming close to the likes of Selby and his snooker matchplay.

That's interesting! Im really not sure he should be doing commentary...he has never won a ranking event?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,926 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

BQQ wrote: »
    Haha
    Love it!

What did he say?

• Advertisement
Advertisement