Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Snooker Championship 2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I praise mcgill but if ronnie keeps that going, will be difficult to stick with him. Average shot time 16 seconds, probably bit miffed to hear mjw had sneaked in front of him in the speedster stakes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭weemcd

Ronnie means business here.

In answer to McManus conundrum, i think mcgill should be keeping it tighter. That red was too risky, ok if its a shot to nothing but not when leaving a red over the middle bag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,168 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Just put on the TV and those last 2 shots typifies Anthony McGill. Awful! There's little point in watching this match.

I'm afraid that was just slack from mcgill, a chance like that he's got to take. If dennis was on commentary he'd have put it down to "tension in the cue arm", but really no excuse for it at all. Pure carelessness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,168 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Turned it off. Ronnie's under no pressure. He can go for shots and miss because he knows Anthony will cough up chance after chance. As I said before, the draw is so handy for him again this year. He's guaranteed to be playing a qualifier in the next round. Selby is probably still fuming over last year. Hopefully he puts an end to him. Last year's Championship was an embarrassment quality wise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,833 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Jan Verhass was seen on the replay to mouth WOW at that McGill long red tight to the cushion, some shot alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Strumms wrote: »
    Jan Verhass was seen on the replay to mouth WOW at that McGill long red tight to the cushion, some shot alright.

He was just calling 'one' as the break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,833 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

zuutroy wrote: »
      He was just calling 'one' as the break.

Well he ‘looked’ surprised ;)

1. Advertisement
    2. Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

Fancy Robertson for the title this year.

3. Registered Users Posts: 12,908 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Didn't see that coming.

4. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

What a howler.

5. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Wow, that was....unexpected. Good frame for mcgill for all he should have won it much earlier.

6. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,041 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

McGill on a maxi. Hes never made one before.

Edit. Forgot to pot the black trying to get position on a tight red. Broke down at 98.

7. Registered Users Posts: 12,908 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

So close

8. Advertisement
    9. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Amazing really. 1-4 down and ronnie clearing up, looking grim for mcgill and now 4-4. That mistake from ronnie seemed to rattle him, off the boil since.

10. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,833 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Careless by Ronnie loosing that frame..looks irked.

11. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

That was a great session. Pity he didn't knock in the 147 but was exciting for a few minutes. Fair play to McGill for getting himself back into it

12. Registered Users Posts: 12,908 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Setup nicely for the next session. Fair play to McGill for fighting back.

13. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Jayus I enjoy this 'frame game' thing they should keep it in following years.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

14. Advertisement
    15. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

To give him his due, i think parrott hit nail on head there. Why ronnie seemed to be taking ages to figure out the scoreboard in that frame 6, i dont know. He had been rattling round the table, 16 seconds a shot, and suddenly he seems to have lost his rhythm, overthinking it. Cant say that contributed to the mistake on the brown, but dont think it helped.

16. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

It was actually a tough situation. There were a ton of different ways he could have played those last few reds with various combinations of brown-blue-pink, while staying within the 7 points or whatever he had to play with. Even leaving himself a length-of-the-table pink over the pocket was no shoe in to give him position on the yellow.

17. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I was looking up Murphy's record in the World Championship.

It is all over the place the 2005 win from nowhere. I think he was 150/1 or something?

Beaten by Higgins in the 2009 final, beaten by Bingham in the 2015 final. Has not been past the 2nd round since he got to that final in 2015.

I never know what to make of him. Sometimes you think he could beat anyone. The next day he looks sloppy with positional play and limps out.

He got to one SF in 2007. QF 2006, 2010, 2013, 2014

18. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

zuutroy wrote: »
      It was actually a tough situation. There were a ton of different ways he could have played those last few reds with various combinations of brown-blue-pink, while staying within the 7 points or whatever he had to play with. Even leaving himself a length-of-the-table pink over the pocket was no shoe in to give him position on the yellow.

Not saying it was straightforward but one thing i always feel about ronnie is he rarely needs that much thinking time to assess a situation like that, has one of the sharpest snooker brains ever. Maybe it didnt make any difference whatsoever and ot was just one of those things that happen on a snooker table. I doubt he was intending to play the pink at all with a red, just the way he fell on thr brown. Changed the session regardless.

19. Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

There's always a couple of mistakes in Ronnie's game, it's just a matter of if players can punish or not, McGill did well to get back in it and stay with him.

20. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I was just thinking I might support Murphy in this tournament. Then in his post match he reminded me why he can be annoying.

He spoke about himself in the third person:

'If Murphy from xyz frame turns up he should be sent home, if Murphy from abc frame turns up he could do well'

21. Registered Users Posts: 12,908 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I'd be surprised if Robertson doesn't beat Lisowski easily.

22. Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I was just thinking I might support Murphy in this tournament. Then in his post match he reminded me why he can be annoying.

He spoke about himself in the third person:

'If Murphy from xyz frame turns up he should be sent home, if Murphy from abc frame turns up he could do well'

As a joke. If it was a habit then maybe I'd agree.

23. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I know ronnie once went through a whole world championships winning every session he played, but such freakery apart, every player is going to have at least one bad session or mini session along the way. Maybe that was ronnies little glitch out of the way, cant wait to find out.

And kind of missed it but wd to murphy. Yan a tough last 16 opponent for him, though.

24. Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭dougm1970

just seen murphy on Instagram talking about win....i've been out all day...whats the best site for up to date scoring ?....was using bbc one but its not updated todays scores.

25. Advertisement
    26. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

dougm1970 wrote: »
      just seen murphy on Instagram talking about win....i've been out all day...whats the best site for up to date scoring ?....was using bbc one but its not updated todays scores.

Probably the official world snooker one id say.

https://livescores.worldsnookerdata.com/LiveScoring/Tournament/14185/betfred-world-championship-2021

27. Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭dougm1970

when matches are over it says "no live matches"
      thanks anyway.

28. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

when matches are over it says "no live matches"
      thanks anyway.

Just go up to main menu and drop down gives you the options of checking all the match scores, centuries scored, upcoming sessions etc.

There's www.snooker.org as well which i find a very good site stats and info. There are probably a fewo thers as well.

29. Posts: 7,792 ✭✭✭ [Deleted User]

This one is good. Shows live-scores, who's on the table/current break.. Updates every 30 seconds...

Have options of live/results/upcoming matches... Nothing live atm tho..

http://www.snooker.org/res/index.asp?template=21

30. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

Is Jack Lisowski still seen as "the future of snooker" as Jimmy White just called him, at 29 years old? No doubt hes a good player but I wouldn't really think of him as the future of the game at that age.

31. Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭dougm1970

This one is good. Shows live-scores, who's on the table/current break.. Updates every 30 seconds...

Have options of live/results/upcoming matches... Nothing live atm tho..

http://www.snooker.org/res/index.asp?template=21

thank you

32. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

dobman88 wrote: »
      Is Jack Lisowski still seen as "the future of snooker" as Jimmy White just called him, at 29 years old? No doubt hes a good player but I wouldn't really think of him as the future of the game at that age.

It's young enough considering how long some of the top guys are going but if Jack's the future of the game, it could be in trouble. Lovely fella and terrific potter, but i think it's just there isnt a lot really coming behind him, as of yet anyway, so he tends to draw these big statements. Would want to be winning a ranking title sometime soon though, would be some ask for that to be a world title.

33. Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

I agree, judd is only a couple of years older and has won 22 ranking titles, while jack hasn't managed any yet...I mean he's still young and can play some great stuff but as of yet he hasn't shown to be able to do it in the big tournaments.

34. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

No Brian Wright sightings yet this year. He must be in there somewhere

35. Advertisement
    36. Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭waynescales1

To be honest we're pretty spoiled with the current standard of the top 16, especially when you look at the standard of player under 30 years old. The future looks pretty grim if you ask me. Best thing to do is savour the current quality, of match play in particular, because when the current crop of players in their prime move on, they'll be badly missed.

37. Posts: 7,792 ✭✭✭ [Deleted User]

No Brian Wright sightings yet this year. He must be in there somewhere

Is that 'Coventry Man' ? :pac: Has to wear T-Shirts nowadays.. Think he had to lose the jersey :D

38. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

And thats jack! All set to praise him for making robbo really fight to win that frame, and then he goes and blows a decent chance to win it himself. Just so frustrating.

39. Posts: 7,792 ✭✭✭ [Deleted User]

Was majorly unlucky on that in-off tbf was Jack.. Can't legislate for that ...

40. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Is that 'Coventry Man' ? :pac: Has to wear T-Shirts nowadays.. Think he had to lose the jersey :D

Yeah he is bound to turn up somewhere

41. Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭eric hoone

Robertson getting away with murder here

42. Advertisement
    43. Posts: 7,792 ✭✭✭ [Deleted User]

mon Jack! Good double/safety attempt there

44. Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭blackcard

Co- commentator on Eurosport talks way too much for me. Silence can be golden at times in a tense frame

45. Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭B2021M

blackcard wrote: »
      Co- commentator on Eurosport talks way too much for me. Silence can be golden at times in a tense frame

Far too much talk yes!

46. Posts: 7,792 ✭✭✭ [Deleted User]

blackcard wrote: »

He's like the maincommentator.... I like him though.... He's not annoyed me yet :D

And Jackpot gets on the board.. A shaky Robbo - could be there for tekkin, eh Ant'nee :p

47. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Strange to say but jacks safety been the best thing about this match so far, fabulous snooker behind the yellow there. Robertson not quite on it yet, long pots not getting very close.

48. Advertisement
    Advertisement