Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky Q issues with Vodafone broadband

• 15-04-2021 12:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,337 ✭✭✭✭

Might be the wrong place for this question bu maybe not.

I'm having an issue with Sky Q, Mini boxes and vodafone wifi.

My Sky Q box keeps setting its IP address to 192.168.15.64 when I connect automatically. when it is set to this, the other Mini boxes can't see it and don't connect.

Randomly last night I was able to get the Q box to set the IP to 192.168.1.10 and the Mini boxes were able to connect (might be unrelated but its my hunch at the moment).

The mini boxes seem to select a 'normal' IP (192.168.1.x) and when they do they can't see the main box when it is set to 192.168.15.64)

This morning, again, the main box is back to 192.168.15.64 and the Mini boxes was connect.

Anyone come across this before?

Tearing my hair out trying to get the boxes to just connect consistently without all this messing around.

I currently can't wire the main box directly to the router so have to go with a wifi solution

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Rebel_Kn1ght

Might be the wrong place for this question bu maybe not.

I'm having an issue with Sky Q, Mini boxes and vodafone wifi.

My Sky Q box keeps setting its IP address to 192.168.15.64 when I connect automatically. when it is set to this, the other Mini boxes can't see it and don't connect.

Randomly last night I was able to get the Q box to set the IP to 192.168.1.10 and the Mini boxes were able to connect (might be unrelated but its my hunch at the moment).

The mini boxes seem to select a 'normal' IP (192.168.1.x) and when they do they can't see the main box when it is set to 192.168.15.64)

This morning, again, the main box is back to 192.168.15.64 and the Mini boxes was connect.

Anyone come across this before?

Tearing my hair out trying to get the boxes to just connect consistently without all this messing around.

I currently can't wire the main box directly to the router so have to go with a wifi solution

Had serious problems with Sky q mini boxes and VF. Eventually had to bite the bullet and wire the miniboxes as well because wifi was an absolute disaster. Wifi was perfect for every other device, laptop,phones, consoles etc. I even wired the consoles and turned wifi off on other devices as a test and it was no good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭galtee boy

I've had SkyQ for ages on its own, but added one mini box for another room back in January. The main box was connected to my Vodafone WiFi for on demand stuff and when I got the mini, just plugged it in, it did some kind of handshake with the main box, took a couple of minutes and both have worked perfectly since, not a glitch. I didn't do anything with ip address or any of that stuff. Maybe I'm just lucky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭MenloPete

I don't know anything specifically about the Vodafone router, but normally on a home router, the subnet mask is set to 255.255.255.0 meaning that the first three octets of the ip address need to be identical for devices to communicate - i.e. 192.168.1.x addresses can all talk to each other.
    In that case the router should never hand out anything other than 192.168.1.x addresses to devices which request a DHCP address.

If the mask was set 255.255.0.0 then your devices could communicate.

So you need to check what mask is set in the router DHCP server, and also what range of addresses are available through DHCP.

Don't know if any of that helps...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,337 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

MenloPete wrote: »
    I don't know anything specifically about the Vodafone router, but normally on a home router, the subnet mask is set to 255.255.255.0 meaning that the first three octets of the ip address need to be identical for devices to communicate - i.e. 192.168.1.x addresses can all talk to each other.
    In that case the router should never hand out anything other than 192.168.1.x addresses to devices which request a DHCP address.

If the mask was set 255.255.0.0 then your devices could communicate.

So you need to check what mask is set in the router DHCP server, and also what range of addresses are available through DHCP.

Don't know if any of that helps...
    Partially helps. was set to 255.255.255.0

I've now manually set all three boxes to the weird 192.168.15.x values, and they seem to be playing nicely with each other now. The issue was clearly down to the IP address in the 3 boxes not alligning (192.168.15 vs 192.168.1) I have no idea why the main box seems to go to 15, nothing on the router says that exists (main wifi should be 192.168.1 and guest 192.168.5 - i've o idea where .15 is coming from!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

The Sky Q Box and Vodafone Broadband go together like chalk and cheese.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭galtee boy

mikeym wrote: »
    The Sky Q Box and Vodafone Broadband go together like chalk and cheese.

It can't be that bad, there must be thousands of Q customers with Vodafone broadband, if there was that big an issue between the two, it would have made bigger news than just being posted here. As I posted earlier, I have Q for about two years, a mini box since January, with Vodafone broadband and not a bother with any of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭pegasuspub

i set up a new tv for a customer on his sky mini box in kitchen, he has his sky q box in tv room on far side of a large old house with major stone walls, the mini box was displaying the blue screen connection issues regularly and has to unplug the whole system regularly, he had a sky wifi booster fitted in a room between both boxes, he has a vodafone router on the other side of the house nearer to the mini box, while i was there he asked if i could sort the issue, boy was i sorry i touched it, i turned off the wifi on both boxes and tried a number of homeplugs to link both skyboxes with the router, but the main tv room was on a separate small consumer unit as i would say this area was added later and the homeplug would not connect through this, so i put both boxes back on wifi and reset everything, next morning the customer was on to say the mini box was loosing connection with the main box again, so i went back to the house and hard wired everything to the router, this took a long time, turned off the wifi on both boxes, the router is on 192.168.1.1 with the main q box on 192.168.1.15 and the mini box on 192.168.1.6, i thought i had it fixed, next morning he's on the phone again to say the minibox its alot better but the mini box no only looses connection very seldom and comes back itself after about 8 seconds, i dont know why this is, i have checked all connections and they are perfect, the mini box was inside in a press and was very warm to the touch, i wonder could the heat have caused this? sorry i cant be of any other help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

galtee boy wrote: »
    It can't be that bad, there must be thousands of Q customers with Vodafone broadband, if there was that big an issue between the two, it would have made bigger news than just being posted here. As I posted earlier, I have Q for about two years, a mini box since January, with Vodafone broadband and not a bother with any of them.

It is bad because I have a Sky Q box and my Broadband provider is Vodafone.

Everyday theres an issue with connectivity.

Vodafone dont care because the operate a rival IPTV service.

Advertisement