Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Old Days on RTE

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

SOAP was another show around the same time as WKRP

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soap_(TV_series)

Soap was the predecessor to Benson which got a rerun on weekday lunchtimes on Network 2 in the mid-1990s, scheduled after re-runs of Mary Tyler Moore and Rhoda. Benson was the butler in Soap who went to work for the Governor of an unidentified US state - he got a series of promotions and was running for the governship at the end of the series. Star Trek fans might remember that both Rene Auberjonis and Ethan Philips had supporting roles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Barnaby Jones starring Buddy Epson on weekdays at 1pm when I was on lunch break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,977 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

blade1 wrote: »
    Barnaby Jones starring Buddy Epson on weekdays at 1pm when I was on lunch break.

Have been watching the DVDs for the last three years. One episode left. Buddy doesn't have too much to do in the last season - JR does most of the action shots. Could watch Lee Meriwether all day.

Thelma Mansfield was a fine looking woman back in the day!

Bibi Baskin talk show. Light Hearted with superlatives like "Go Deimhin" but still quite watchable, in comparison to present day offerings. I forget the name, some else might post it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,274 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Pretty sure it was just called Bibi, though it might have gone through a few different incarnations. She also had a show called Bibis Big Top (or something close) which had circus acts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

nightlight? who remembers nightlight?...bit of religious enlightenment before bedtime

fryup wrote: »
    nightlight? who remembers nightlight?...bit of religious enlightenment before bedtime

No more telly for the day.

On RTE1 we got Late News before Closedown.

Newsnight on RTE2 around 10.40pm or so was quite good.

Irish songs with Frank Patterson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

The national anthem played at TV closedown.

Two video versions I remember :

1) The tricolor fluttering in the breeze
    2) Heather and cobwebs at sunset - artistic shots of landscapes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

Was there a TV series way back set in a Greek village called 'Nico'? It opened with the title character describing in a broad NY accent how he grew up far away in a little village and how he got into loads of scrapes through manipulating adults to do his bidding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭adaminho

My favourite shutdown was this...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭briany

I seem to remember that RTE would show pages from Aertel up until the middle of the afternoon. Anyone know what year that stopped?

This has to be the best ever RTE closedown.

Mailbag on rte1 Late 80s to early 90s

Wouldn't be done today, the mail would be too pointy, some 'beautiful people' might feel their toes stepped on bit much.

Dili Ó Damhas hosted by one of the continuity announcers

Dili Ó Damhas hosted by one of the continuity announcers

Can just remember the song and opening animated sequence, a clown (?) With a bunch of balloons floating off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭fluke

Ger Roe wrote: »
    The national anthem played at TV closedown.

Two video versions I remember :

1) The tricolor fluttering in the breeze
    2) Heather and cobwebs at sunset - artistic shots of landscapes.

Ah that second one. Fond memories.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Dublin Northside People freesheet includes rte listings from the Irish Press for 22 May 1970 in current edition.

Junior Biology
    Senior Chemistry
    Bugs Bunny
    Fado Fado
    The Angelus
    Ri Ra
    Bozo the Clown
    News
    Amuigh fein speir
    Newsbeat
    Room 222
    An Nuacht
    Day of Unrest
    Maigret
    Comortas
    News weather and sport
    7 Days
    This is Tom Jones
    News
    Outlook

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

A third level preparation course late 80s early 90s presented by Christine Murphy a. Irish Times journist. In one scene she is shown eating an evening dinner in a hotel. The point being it cost the same as a weeks dole. Don't know what the point of this was?

A third level preparation course late 80s early 90s presented by Christine Murphy a. Irish Times journist. In one scene she is shown eating an evening dinner in a hotel. The point being it cost the same as a weeks dole. Don't know what the point of this was?

Maybe she was being paid in expenses!

Or it was a subtle "become a journalist and you too can live the high life" :)

She did the education columns, wrote reviews of the Inter Cert and Leaving Cert papers each year. The horrendous English comprehension piece for 1987 Inter was described as “stylised nonsense” - still gives me nightmares. More on that here

Exhibit A-the Arts Show. Mid 80s late night programme that I soley remember for the opening sequence which had a guy doing a jerky robot dance to what might have been something by the Art Of Noise.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Just after reading through the whole thread - some great memories in there.

Pajos Junkbox/ Pajo and the Salty Frog - I think it started on Scratch Saturday along with the nutty professor and then got its own show. Pajo was a punk rocker puppet with a leather jacket and pink streaks in his hair.

That kid at the time Kevo (Kevin O Connell) who was on everything - he was on something called The Grip which I feel was maybe part of some other show but he was supposed to be this hip/cool inner-city kid and would give a quick run down on some topic.

Echo Island - Dara O Briain in the early days and a few other ones who did the rounds on Irish tv at the time like Derek Mooney, Carrie Crowley, Mary Kingston and Blathnaid Ni Chofaigh.

The Works - Michael Sheridan and Mary Kingston, it was a science show during the week where they would do experiments and show things about chemistry and physics and biology.

There was a show called Finbars Class in the 90's which also had Michal Sheridan in it. Our neighbour was a boom operator on a lot of RTE shows and said they were looking for extras that were secondary school age. I ended up doing it, got paid a few quid and basically did nothing all day and then had to either sit in a classroom for a bit or be in the yard playing football when the main cast was doing their scenes. Brian McFadden and Danny O Donoghue (Westlife and The Script) were in it at the time before they became famous in their other careers.

On the topic of quizzes..
    Blackboard Jungle - Ray Darcy schools quiz.
    Where In The World - Theresa Lowe
    Rapid Roulette - Maxi
    Play the Game - charades thing with Derek Davis, Twink and Ronan Collins.
    Know Your Sport - with the sports encyclopedia that was Jimmy Magee.
    Challenging Times

My father was on both Where In The World and Rapid Roulette. I remember going up to RTE for the recording of Where In The World and thinking it was going to be amazing and being severely unimpressed then. :pac:

Dempseys Den - the OG Den before Ray Darcy
    Jo Maxi - It was supposed to be a hip and cool show aimed at teens about music and pop culture.

While Wanderly Wagon was trippy the worst one I remember was a show called Rimini Riddle with these freaky looking puppets with squashed up faces and it was this ongoing mystery story or something. Think I got scared off by the weirdness pretty quickly.

I don't think I saw Glenroe getting mentioned anywhere - Sunday night staple was Where In The World followed by Glenroe and then your mother saying go to bed and you saying you still had homework left to do and your parents going mental.

Greenfingers with Gerry Daly - gardening show, he used to do a lost on Live At Three sometimes too.
    Today Tonight - current affairs show, too young at the time to be interested in politics so if I walked in and this was on was usually a 180 and leave again.

All the US TV shows, the majority of the big ones have been mentioned. Anything that wasn't on RTE was on ITV/UTV which most people had anyways because you just needed to stick an old aerial up on the roof. There was so many of them back in the day that were staple viewing on a Saturday.

Some others that come to mind

The OG Battlestar Galactia was always on a Sunday, think it aired after the BeatBox. It had Dirk Benedict in it as Starbuck who was Faceman in the A-Team.
    Baywatch
    The Cosby Show - back when Bill wasn't in trouble
    Fresh Prince of Bel Air
    Get Smart - loved this as a kid used to be on a Saturday with Batman I think.
    The Wonder Years
    Mork and Mindy - Mork calling Orson, come in Orson
    ALF
    Mission Impossible - the 80s version

There was the tv shows your parents watched and told you to go to bed when they were on :pac:
    Dallas
    Dynasty
    Falcon Crest

Someone mentioned the Sullivans, I remember it vaguely and there was another Aussie import called A Country Practice which was another soap opera type show. When I was a kid at one stage we emigrated to Australia and one of the cast 'Cookie' who was this crazy chef character on it was a special guest at the school BBQ..my mind was blown at the time meeting such a big tv personality :D

I could list cartoons and kids tv shows for days - love all the old retro cartoons but there was another Aussie import that was on RTE back in the school days called The Girl From Tomorrow - a time-travelling caper with a girl from the year 3000 stuck in the 90s and this criminal that comes back with her called Silverthorn.

Axwell wrote: »
    Dempseys Den - the OG Den before Ray Darcy
    Jo Maxi - It was supposed to be a hip and cool show aimed at teens about music and pop culture.

I remember in one show when ian dempsey found out one letter to the show was from first year RTC (before they were ITs) students he became irate and basically said they were too old for the den show!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

On the topic of quizzes..
    Blackboard Jungle - Ray Darcy schools quiz.
    Where In The World - Theresa Lowe
    Rapid Roulette - Maxi
    Play the Game - charades thing with Derek Davis, Twink and Ronan Collins.
    Know Your Sport - with the sports encyclopedia that was Jimmy Magee.
    Challenging Times

My father was on both Where In The World and Rapid Roulette. I remember going up to RTE for the recording of Where In The World and thinking it was going to be amazing and being severely unimpressed then. :pac:

All those quizzes brings back some memories.

Where in the World was originally presented by Marty Whelan but he became person non grata when he went to Century Radio - RTE have mellowed a bit since then!

Play the Game was a bit cringey!

Challenging Times - Ireland's answer to University Challenge! It was presented by Kevin Myers, who wrote for the Irish Times at the time, and I think it was sponsored by the Irish Times. Kevin had a unique style of presemting!

Rapid Roulette - Maxi

First series was presented by the unpleasant Maurie Taylor. Maxi was a much better fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

First series was presented by the unpleasant Maurie Taylor. Maxi was a much better fit.
    He was like Alan Partridge! Maxi was great.
    Whatever happened to Michael Sheridan? Didn't he do a motoring programme at one stage too? Sorry, I can't remember the name. He was everywhere for a while, seemed a nice guy.

• Advertisement

Aglomerado wrote: »
    Whatever happened to Michael Sheridan? Didn't he do a motoring programme at one stage too? Sorry, I can't remember the name. He was everywhere for a while, seemed a nice guy.

Seems to be focused on motoring
    http://motorhub.ie/author/michael-sheridan/

Aglomerado wrote: »

Yeah, he presented Drive! and he was the editor for RTE Motor for a while too. When he was in Finbars class I remember him showing up in a sweet little MX5 so he was doing alright for himself then.

Play the Game was a bit cringey!

Challenging Times - Ireland's answer to University Challenge! It was presented by Kevin Myers, who wrote for the Irish Times at the time, and I think it was sponsored by the Irish Times. Kevin had a unique style of presemting!

Yeah Play The Game was a cringe fest, the other team members were always other tv or music people who were proper z-listers to be fair. Brush Shields was on it fairly regularly if I recall.

Myers was similar to Paxman in the UK, condescending at times and almost made the teams feel foolish for not knowing some of the answers, he was perfect for it.

Anyone remember a series called Greatest Heroes Of The Bible? RTE showed it circa 83/84. It was a right cheap looking sword and sandals Old Testament dramatisation. Starred a lot of vaguely familiar faded Hollywood stars from the 50s.

Anyone remember a series called Greatest Heroes Of The Bible? RTE showed it circa 83/84. It was a right cheap looking sword and sandals Old Testament dramatisation. Starred a lot of vaguely familiar faded Hollywood stars from the 50s.

I do, Peter Mark Richman was in it. Dated from late '70s but as you say, on around 1983 or so.

I do, Peter Mark Richman was in it. Dated from late '70s but as you say, on around 1983 or so.

The episode about Samson And Deliah was shown very soon after RTE also screened the 1940s Cecil B Demille movie, might have been the same week. You couldnt help but be struck by how inferior the tv version looked in comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 854 ✭✭✭human 19

Every second ad about milk replacer, mature and immature liver fluke, mastitis, bovine TB...

"Ciba Geigy. The name you can trust!"

"Down South, the Cork Examiner; is they one they call "the paeper""

It was depressing as a kid in the 70s with only RTE TV. 17:55pm, "...and new we have a cartoon (YAY), from Czechozlovakia (D'oh!). the the news followed by the feckin ' Beachcomers.

Remenber the school quiz show "Quiz around the clock"?

Seán Bán (baldy) Breathnach, SBB Ina Shuí

You could fry an egg, if you had an egg...

"Hummph... Tourists"

"you talkin to me?"...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Man you’ve just struck a memory Overload , I do remember that , David and Goliath and Samson spring to mind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 854 ✭✭✭human 19

Bibi Baskin talk show. Light Hearted with superlatives like "Go Deimhin" but still quite watchable, in comparison to present day offerings. I forget the name, some else might post it.

God, I couldnt stand her . Gerry Ryan also. This is dredging up memories of how my hard-earned was wasted.

human 19 wrote: »

Seán Bán (baldy) Breathnach, SBB Ina Shuí

Thanks for that.
    I remember them playing in a tiny village near me back around then.
    My mother wouldn't allow me to go as I was only 10 at the time.
    Absolutely gutted as I watched my brother's and all their friends heading off to it.

Anyone remember Suicidal Tendencies live on Jo Maxi sometime between 1988 and 1990?
    Saw them live in the Top Hat in 89 so it was another time they played Dublin.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that.
    I remember them playing in a tiny village near me back around then.
    My mother wouldn't allow me to go as I was only 10 at the time.
    Absolutely gutted as I watched my brother's and all their friends heading off to it.

Anyone remember Suicidal Tendencies live on Jo Maxi sometime between 1988 and 1990?
    Saw them live in the Top Hat in 89 so it was another time they played Dublin.

I posted it early in the thread along with comments from bass player Bob Heathcote :)

I posted it early in the thread along with comments from bass player Bob Heathcote :)

Brilliant!
    That's the first time I've seen that since it aired.
    Pity it wasn't live live though :mad:

Brilliant!
    That's the first time I've seen that since it aired.
    Pity it wasn't live live though :mad:

I can actually imagine how painful it was getting to the rte studio at that hour before a flight

Seriously though Rocky George Is one of the best guitarists ever

I can actually imagine how painful it was getting to the rte studio at that hour before a flight

Seriously though Rocky George Is one of the best guitarists ever

Ah pure class.
    When they were in the Top Hat there was people diving off the balcony even.
    I remember drinking whiskey that night and staying in a lad's house in Killiney called Brendan Cronin who got killed in a motorcycle accident a few years later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

remember sometimes a movie would stall/breakdown (yes kids it did happen) and they'd show a cartoon as a filler usually Tom & Jerry

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

fryup wrote: »
    remember sometimes a movie would stall/breakdown (yes kids it did happen) and they'd show a cartoon as a filler usually Tom & Jerry

Or sometimes they'd play a current pop song over a "service will resume" card

Remember the Canadian Broadcasting short films that were shown ?

It BeeMee wrote: »
    Or sometimes they'd play a current pop song over a "service will resume" card

Remember the Canadian Broadcasting short films that were shown ?

Yes. National Film Board Of Canada animated shorts were often shown.

Hot Stuff, very funny.

This one, How Death Came To Earth used to creep the shyte out of me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭cml387

Did anyone ever watch the civil defence nuclear war exercises that used to go out once a year on a Sunday morning?

RTE/Channel 4 did a lot of drama co productions in the 80s.

The Year Of The French.

Summer Lightning. Victorian period drama with effing and blinding.

When Reason Sleeps. Supernatural anthology, very creepy especially the opening episode Fear Of The Dark which starred a young Hugh O Connor fresh from Lamb.

• Advertisement

The Beachcombers

Advertisement