Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting room for 2 months?

Options
  • 15-04-2021 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭

Just wondering. I am going to be renting a room in someone's house. They want me to pay a deposit of €300. They also want me to pay €50 for the fuel and €63 for the TV licence before I move in (will the sharing with 3). They said the first agreement period is 3 months and if I abide agreement they are happy to go long term. I found it very hard to find any sort of accommodation and I just had to go with this room. I only intend on staying 2 months as my job finishes up the end of June. What happens with my deposit then if i decide to move out after 2 months? Does a tenant just have to give a months notice whenever they want to move out or how does it really work? Also I will be be paying my share of the TV licence for the year but I am only staying the 2 months? Also then with the €50 fuel how does that work if I am only there for the 2 months? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭what?

is the homeowner in the house, is an important distinction as if so, RTB rules wont apply.
    I'm sure I;ll be corrected, but in this case, the rules are arbitrary.
    IMO, they do seem petty, 63 for a share of license?, GTFO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Apoapsis Rex

I wonder if they actually take people for longer than the 3 months. They can potentially get 4 tenants in a year and charge all of them €60 for the TV licence?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭thebourke

tv license is 160e per year..
    so for 2 months it is going to be 26euro,where are they getting 63euro from??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,835 ✭✭✭YellowLead

thebourke wrote: »

The rental agreement is 3 months not 2

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Don't use their TV....

You will be a licencee so you have no rights essentially.

They could put you back out the next day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭dobman88

Even worse. It's not even 26 euro for the 2 months as its split 3 ways so it's more like €8.50 for the 2 months they'd be there.

I'd just tell them you're not paying the TV licence, or at least not 63 euro worth anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭mikemac2

That TV licence request sounds very petty

You would spend those months sweating over your deposit if these are the sort of people who will rent to you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭thebourke

is the owner an accountant?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭KevRossi

You'll be there for 2.5 months. Most people don't really want short stays as it means readvertising the place again, having people call over, people not showing up etc.

The €50 for fuel for the 2.5 months isn't too bad.

I wouldn't be expecting to see much of the €300 deposit again. They'll claim the room was empty whilst looking for new tenants, or that you broke the 3 month lease etc.

The licence is for the whole house, no matter how many TV's it has. I'd discuss the €63 with them and get that reduced.

You can get rooms to rent by the week, but they are a lot more expensive. So either keep looking or else suck up the potential €300 loss and factor it into your rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,515 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Are you sure it’s for the TV licence and not the tv service ( possibly including broadband)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,515 ✭✭✭✭ted1

is the owner an accountant?

Or from Cavan ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Don't use their TV....

You will be a licencee so you have no rights essentially.

They could put you back out the next day.

Depends on if you are renting from a home owner, licencee has no rights, or a tenant, licencee can have the full rights of a tenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭zeebre12

ted1 wrote: »
    Are you sure it’s for the TV licence and not the tv service ( possibly including broadband)

They said it was for the TV licence for the year

Del2005 wrote: »
    Depends on if you are renting from a home owner, licencee has no rights, or a tenant, licencee can have the full rights of a tenant.

I'm basically renting a room in the owners house.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I'd suggest you speak with the home owner.

See can you both come to an agreement, if not keep looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Surely you have explained to her that you are only staying 2 months and have asked her all of these questions,!!??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

zeebre12 wrote: »
    I'm basically renting a room in the owners house.

Is is the owners home? Every house has an owner, not all of them live in their houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

From the sounds of your original post the owner is assuming you will end up staying longer.
    That's why they are charging you full whack for the TV license. (Still sounds a tad high). On the fuel side you could be buying a share of the previous tenants oil. That was paid for and sitting in the tank. Without knowing more everything could actually be fair to all involved.

To be honest I think that all in all its a good deal for a short term rental. A load of hassle for the landlord. I would suck it up and pay it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

If they are availing of the rent a room scheme do the bills not have to be included in the rent?

From the sounds of your original post the owner is assuming you will end up staying longer.
    That's why they are charging you full whack for the TV license. (Still sounds a tad high). On the fuel side you could be buying a share of the previous tenants oil. That was paid for and sitting in the tank. Without knowing more everything could actually be fair to all involved.

To be honest I think that all in all its a good deal for a short term rental. A load of hassle for the landlord. I would suck it up and pay it.

Could they not say as I will be only staying for the 2 months that I can't get any of my deposit back? Can't they say what they like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

JimmyVik wrote: »
    If they are availing of the rent a room scheme do the bills not have to be included in the rent?

They don't have to be directly included in the rent they do however count towards the tax free limit.

OP it sounds like you have agreed to stay for 3 months knowing full well you plan leaving in 2. For such a short term rental you are likely going to end up paying a premium. The fact they have you paying some of the TV license is kind of irrelevant, you just need to consider the total cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,835 ✭✭✭YellowLead

Could they not say as I will be only staying for the 2 months that I can't get any of my deposit back? Can't they say what they like?

Agree everything (terms of the lease) before you move in.

If you are agreeing to stay for 3 months but only you know your two month plan, then you are kind of trying to pull one over on the landlord....

Normally if you give the adequate notice before breaking a lease you can get deposit back )if you haven’t damaged things) but not sure how it would work for such a short term thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

YellowLead wrote: »
    Agree everything (terms of the lease) before you move in.

If you are agreeing to stay for 3 months but only you know your two month plan, then you are kind of trying to pull one over on the landlord....

Normally if you give the adequate notice before breaking a lease you can get deposit back but not sure how it would work for such a short term thing.

There will be no lease. It is a licence arrangement. O/p would be better not to take this accommodation. It will not end well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

To be honest if you rent for 3 months and move out after 2 months the landlord would justified to keep your deposit.

It's a huge inconvenience trying to rent out a room.

By the way I am a tenant that has to deal with people moving in and out of the house. Dividing up bills etc. Everyone always feels they shouldn't be paying.

Advertisement