Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aggregate for fencing posts

Options
  • 15-04-2021 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I'm putting some wooden fence posts in my garden over the weekend - complete novice!! :confused:

They say to put about 4 inches of gravel. But what exactly can i use? Need to pick it up in Woodies. What can i get?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭u2me

I think woodies might do the post 10 (20kg) quick setting concrete mix which would make it easy for you - 1 to 2 bags per post depending on the size of post and hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

Concrete will prematurely rot a wooden post... guaranteed!!!

Smaller gravel easier to pack around post. Whatever is cheapest really

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭u2me

All timber posts rot in the ground - With pressure-treated posts, the rot will be slow....Concrete should be poured around the post - no concrete under the post just compacted gravel to allow the water to seep away. You can put an extra cover of preservative on the base of the post before concreteing and it should be fine for years.

That said the cheapest method is to just use compacted gravel

Guaranteed PREMATURE ROTTED if you concrete around a wooden post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

The Romans use to burn the ends of posts some still survive (from what I hear) I've experimented with a charred larch pergola but to early to give feedback on how that weathers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Idioteque

peteb2 wrote: »
    Hi
    I'm putting some wooden fence posts in my garden over the weekend - complete novice!! :confused:

They say to put about 4 inches of gravel. But what exactly can i use? Need to pick it up in Woodies. What can i get?

The gravel is just to have somewhere for water to drain off so the end grain of the post is not sitting on a pool of water too long. Any cheap small gravel (pea gravel etc.) will be fine.

As for the comments on premature rotting in concrete. Putting posts in the ground that way has to be one of the most common ways to do it the around the world so I'm not sure what the other posters alternative to avoid 'premature' rot...premature as opposed to what exactly?

Some people dip the part that will sit below ground in a creosote-like alternative to further prolong things.

Idioteque wrote: »
    The gravel is just to have somewhere for water to drain off so the end grain of the post is not sitting on a pool of water too long. Any cheap small gravel (pea gravel etc.) will be fine.

As for the comments on premature rotting in concrete. Putting posts in the ground that way has to be one of the most common ways to do it the around the world so I'm not sure what the other posters alternative to avoid 'premature' rot...premature as opposed to what exactly?

Some people dip the part that will sit below ground in a creosote-like alternative to further prolong things.

Lifespan halved eg. 20yr to 10yr. Obviously depends on type of timber, thickness etc. While I am sure plenty do it around the world bear in mind Ireland a is wet climate. Do it once and do it right. Post into hole backfilled with gravel is as good as it gets really.
    There are brackets for setting in concrete that keep the posts above like https://www.amazon.co.uk/Post-Anchor-101-Posts-Stone/dp/B01LZSW9NZ/ref=asc_df_B01LZSW9NZ/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=427942049642&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=208460188608074849&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=20474&hvtargid=pla-911655281749&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=108041152508&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=427942049642&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=208460188608074849&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=20474&hvtargid=pla-911655281749

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

Thanks guys. I have post 10. Don't really have much of a choice. Backfilled gravel don't hold it enough. Too many kids hanging off stuff! I'll take 10 years life span!

Just really wanted to know what to sit it on. And whether pea gravel was enough

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

I found that when putting up a fence a few years ago using compacted gravel, that adding some struts, angled at 45 degrees held the posts firm for a couple of years until the gravel firmed up and the poles were then able to stand up for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭standardg60

peteb2 wrote: »
    Hi

Not sure where you got the 4 inches from, the posts need to go down at least a foot, and best about 18 inches. Keep the holes as narrow as possible, allowing about 2-3 inches of space around the post for backfilling is fine.

• Advertisement
Advertisement