Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - Part 3 - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The government’s plan to allow foreign investors, REIT’s and vulture funds to purchase the vast majority of new homes is in keeping with what Tanaiste @LeoVaradkar told those very entities via zoom only a few days ago. It’s policy. #StickWithUs

Via @Trickstersworld on twitter

The video of Leo saying this is on the twitter page

Except he didn't say that.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

So your disputing what was said. Tell me then what exactly are you disputing or is it a new nothing too see here, move along

P. S ive seen the full zoom meeting, i know what was said

I have seen the 35 second clip that trickstersworld put up on his twitter that you are quoting.

This is the tweet. https://twitter.com/Trickstersworld/status/1389932803702276097

Varadkar says (I'm paraphrasing here) Ireland is still a great place to invest so stick with us. Our economy is going to bounce back as we ease restrictions. We have great political stability, we are at the heart of the EU, Eurozone, single market. We have a great relationship with the UK. We can't control what happens in the rest of the world, as we're only a small country. We are good at riding the wave of international events. We'll make sure Ireland stays a good place to do business.

That is it. We don't even know if he was talking to REITs or another group. He doesn't even discuss policy in the clip or even mention property.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Is private enterprise precluded from the housing debate?

Nope
    Definitely welcome.
    Is it biased?
    Yep.

Cian O Callaghan TD when he asked the Tánaiste about international investment funds and their impact on people who would like to buy a home – he accused him of being ideological.

That was in the Dail in the last week

You are quoting out of context. He said a lot more than saying he is ideological. This is what he actually said
    “The solution is not to try and ban types of housing of ban types of housing investment,” he said.

“While it might be the case that there are too many of these investment funds and they are too active in the market in Dublin, it doesn’t mean there is no place for them at all.

He accused opposition parties of being “too ideological” when it comes to housing and insisted investment funds have a place in the Irish market.

“I just don’t think we should so ideological and absolute about this,” he said.

“It should never be about banning types of housing or banning types of housing investment. We need lots more housing, all types, and we need investment, both public and private.”

I wonder what you will say when the full zoom meeting (which Ive seen) will be reported in the Irish Examiner in the morning

Maybe I will change my opinion. But the clip in the tweet you are talking about does not mention the things you or the tweeter say it does.

• Advertisement

I love it. The LP want to reintroduce, word for word, the Bill Darragh O Brien drafted when he was in opposition in relation to Vulture funds/ REITs.

Will he oppose it now?

Oh this will be interesting and be another nail in the FF coffin.

It'll be some craic alright. There'll be more reverses than an Italian tank if they do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Fann Linn wrote: »
    I love it. The LP want to reintroduce, word for word, the Bill Darragh O Brien drafted when he was in opposition in relation to Vulture funds/ REITs.

Will he oppose it now?

Classic move!

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Fann Linn wrote:
    I love it. The LP want to reintroduce, word for word, the Bill Darragh O Brien drafted when he was in opposition in relation to Vulture funds/ REITs

Will he oppose it now?

I hope they do. I agree with REITS being able to invest in housing but only if they actually commission it themselves. Because we need more housing and they have funds to do it. Add additional housing stock or stay away.

Govt TD getting hammered on housing and investment companies on Radio 1 now. Not sure who she is. Floundering and avoiding questions.

Edit: I think it was Mary Fitzpatrick. A senator actually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

The public seem to be behaving. Good on them.

The progress continues.
    As does the bleating.

No TDs of either the 3 Govt parties would go on prime time or the tonight show last nite. Sending out the senators

FF senator out is step here so:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Sorry I meant to state no minister went on either show. They seen the public opinion and hid

Not surprised just pointing it out

Standard practice for those parties. They will either send out a senator or a back bench TD that can barely string a sentence together.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,755 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

According to Gavan Reilly on twitter

At FF party meeting claims they are drowning in the shadow of the FG housing policy

At FG meeting tonight they are criticising Minister for Health and sayings this Govts housing policy getting a lot of criticim

The chaos

We are scraping the bottom of the lowest barrel of desperation when backbenchers in a coalition party criticising Minister and policies of the other party are a sign of crisis.

Over at the FF PP Housing Minister @DarraghOBrienTD says vulture funds buying properties up is a “legacy issue” which happened before Fianna Fáil came into government. He says Department of Finance has a significant role in this and he is engaging with @Paschald on the issue.

Now the Housing Minister is blaming FG.

It's spiralling out of control very fast. Interesting few days ahead.

Over at the FF PP Housing Minister @DarraghOBrienTD says vulture funds buying properties up is a “legacy issue” which happened before Fianna Fáil came into government. He says Department of Finance has a significant role in this and he is engaging with @Paschald on the issue.

Now the Housing Minister is blaming FG.

I see Labour are asking the Minister to Reintroduce his own bill from 2019 that blocks Cuckoo funds from buying up houses and that if he doesn't they are going to introduce it word for word and force the government to vote it down. All coming back to haunt FF now. FG really screwed them over in the government formation talks.

https://www.thejournal.ie/labour-cuckoo-funds-bill-5429153-May2021/

It's spiralling out of control very fast. Interesting few days ahead.

Certainly looking that way. It was only a matter of time anyway for O'Brien the opposition have been waiting on this for a while.

blanch152 wrote: »
    We are scraping the bottom of the lowest barrel of desperation when backbenchers in a coalition party criticising Minister and policies of the other party are a sign of crisis.

It's great Blanch. Sit back and enjoy the fireworks.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,761 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Floppybits wrote: »
    Certainly looking that way. It was only a matter of time anyway for O'Brien the opposition have been waiting on this for a while.

Why is he looking to talk to Fine Gael's parliamentary party meeting and the Green one?

Are these ministers doing solo runs and then looking approval from their coalition partners? Serious odd way to do business.

Why is he looking to talk to Fine Gael's parliamentary party meeting and the Green one?

Are these ministers doing solo runs and then looking approval from their coalition partners? Serious odd way to do business.

Both parties have made such a bags of this that they are looking to put the blame on each other. Even Varadkar is now saying that something needs to be done. They are in full panic mode now. Sit back and watch them attack each other.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/politics/arid-40282463.html

• Advertisement

You'd imagine he'd address the Dail. However, let's hope LP put the gun to his head and follow up with his bill.

You'd imagine he'd address the Dail. However, let's hope LP put the gun to his head and follow up with his bill.

It's a seriously odd thing to do and has to be very unusual. A major policy rolled out and he is having to go to his coalition partners parliamentary meetings to explain himself?

Government of chaos strikes again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,363 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

According to Gavan Reilly on twitter

At FF party meeting claims they are drowning in the shadow of the FG housing policy

At FG meeting tonight they are criticising Minister for Health and sayings this Govts housing policy getting a lot of criticim

The chaos

The irony from FF.

They started this whole housing mess 20 years ago.

The irony from FF.

They started this whole housing mess 20 years ago.

And FG continued it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,363 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

And FG continued it.

Well that's debatable.

What isn't is FF causing the country to enter its biggest recession in history all because of housing and property.

Social and private house building literally seized overnight as we didn't have a pot to piss in.

Now they are blaming FG.

I must say it's a circus and amusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭CarProblem

And FG continued it.

Michael Noonan, when minister for finance, stated he wanted higher prices

Coveney's first port of call was to write tax payer funded cheques to developers under help to buy

FG invited REITs etc to the party

FF - I'm not even going there

Government now sees people are annoyed with stated government policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Well that's debatable.

What isn't is FF causing the country to enter its biggest recession in history all because of housing and property.

Social and private house building literally seized overnight as we didn't have a pot to piss in.

Now they are blaming FG.

I must say it's a circus and amusing.

I mean the fact FF are even in government less than 10 years from the above scenario is just bizarre to me

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭CarProblem

How must FG meetings go?

Items for discussion

1) why won't young people vote for us?
    2) how can we increase rents and prices further?
    3) any scope to give pensioners more money?
    4) why won't young people vote for us? Seriously, anyone?
    5) AOB

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Govt TD getting hammered on housing and investment companies on Radio 1 now. Not sure who she is. Floundering and avoiding questions.

Edit: I think it was Mary Fitzpatrick. A senator actually.

Sinn Fein did the smart thing last week. They let the corruption, murder charge, database stuff and all that lie. Meanwhile they readied an arsenal on what the government is weakest on.

While construction stalls are outside of the government's hands (due to Covid), the issue in relation to vulture funds and large corporations buying up property which the government should be the proprietors of is a pressing concern. The ball is firmly in the government's court on this. If they feck this up they will suffer, and rightly so.

Once we come out of Covid we should be full steam ahead in terms of residential construction. The rewards from that shouldn't be threatened in advance due to legislative ineptitude.
    MayoSalmon wrote: »
    I mean the fact FF are even in government less than 10 years from the above scenario is just bizarre to me

I suppose people like myself struggled to find anyone better to vote for. I may have once said that I wouldn't ever give them a preference until they acknowledged the the crash being largely domestic in cause. I may have had to go back on that particular election promise.

• Advertisement

Floppybits wrote: »
    Both parties have made such a bags of this that they are looking to put the blame on each other. Even Varadkar is now saying that something needs to be done. They are in full panic mode now. Sit back and watch them attack each other.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/politics/arid-40282463.html

FG supporters here already trying to blame FF...you were bang on Floppy.

Advertisement