Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - Part 3 - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

Floppybits wrote: »
    No they haven't reacted quickly would be shutting this practice down now like they shut the country down in March 2020 but nope they are going to drag their heels on this till sometime in July. So until that time these funds can snap up any or all properties either on the market or going to market till then.

You are comparing action on a few housing estate purchases to action on a public health crisis?
    Ah here now

• Registered Users Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I replied to that already
    They are 5% of the market
    Not 95%
    The topical issue is tgem buying whole housing estates,the red line
    Cabinets aren't updated weekly or monthly on who bought what
    It doesnt come in over text message or something

Of course they are updated especially on an issue like housing and homelessness which cost them in the last election. The department responsible will know exactly the figures for housing in terms of what was built, what was sold and how they were bought. Don't be so niave to think they are not aware of this. To deny this is just burying your head in the sand. Accept it that they knew about but did nothing about it because it is their policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,755 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

You are comparing action on a few housing estate purchases to action on a public health crisis?
    Ah here now

There is no point arguing with the hyperbole that turns every situation into the greatest crisis the world has ever seen and all is the fault of the FFG government.

Ah here now

This is when you know that you are losing the argument when you have to resort to this.

I am not comparing it to anything. I am saying the government can do things quickly when they want too and the will there but they don't want to this and the will is not there so they are going to drag their heels on it. You keep burying your head in the sand there.

blanch152 wrote: »
    There is no point arguing with the hyperbole that turns every situation into the greatest crisis the world has ever seen and all is the fault of the FFG government.

Hang on are you saying that people of the state being unable to buy houses because they are being snapped up en-masse by investor funds so that they can make profit by charging extortionate rents is hyperbole?

• Advertisement

blanch152 wrote: »

Thank God that the vaccination rollout is being carried out in a timely fashion. I wonder what next weeks hysterics will be about?

This is when you know that you are losing the argument when you have to resort to this.

I am not comparing it to anything. I am saying the government can do things quickly when they want too and the will there but they don't want to this and the will is not there so they are going to drag their heels on it. You keep burying your head in the sand there.

I'm not in any argument here
    My and your opinion are but grains of sand
    You can't just run with a bill without some thorough work going into it
    Curly wigs get paid a lot to exploit rushed bills

• Registered Users Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

https://www.facebook.com/DarraghObrienTD/videos/planning-and-development-amendment-first-time-buyers-bill-2019/538856890250751/

Here is the speech from O'Brien in 2019.
    Yesterday I introduced The Planning & Development (First Time Buyers) Bill 2019 to prevent so called Cuckoo funds from buying up entire developments that have not been designated build to rent. My bill allow local authorities to earmark a certain percentage of zoned land (up to 30% at the discretion of the local authority) for first time buyers. The bill comes after spending from institutional investors soared in 2018 including snapping up developments where first-time buyers had already put down deposits.

The bill did not get past the 2nd stage.

Embarassing that he forgot all this ;)

I see FF are trying to put the responsibility on Paschal now. Coalition of chaos!

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

I'd say now he hasn't
    But when you get into government,you get confronted by all the other factors needing considering that oppositions can gloss over because the Euros needed to fund building aren't registered to vote

• Registered Users Posts: 68,762 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

https://www.facebook.com/DarraghObrienTD/videos/planning-and-development-amendment-first-time-buyers-bill-2019/538856890250751/

I see FF are trying to put the responsibility on Paschal now. Coalition of chaos!

You'd wonder are they communicating with one another at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I'd say now he hasn't
    But when you get into government,you get confronted by all the other factors needing considering that oppositions can gloss over because the Euros needed to fund building aren't registered to vote

I see.

So why is he now saying something needs to be done and quickly?

Give up your oul sins, you're fooling nobody.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Shebean

I think the whole idea of the investment funds being invited in after the crash was to get funds into the building industry and jobs as much as to provide new accomadation when banks werent lending
    They were left to tick along since but this mis step by them buying up housing estates will be the undoing of their expansion plans
    Its a red line and rightly so
    Governments couldnt have been expected 10 years ago to know they might do it 10 years later

Except everyone has been talking about it for years and the response was that we needed private investment. It's nice and all that government have an excuse to hide behind but I don't think anyone believes the situation is news to them or a surprise. They've been making this bed for years.
    They could and should have put restraints on vulture/investment funds years and years ago because they knew and were told.
    It's like giving tax cuts on matches to pyromaniacs and claiming you didn't know they'd try burn everything.

I see.

So why is he now saying something needs to be done and quickly?

Give up your oul sins, you're fooling nobody.

I don't look at it negatively like that
    A government with over 3 years to run with a big majority could ignore the problem and bluff about new rental capacity or something
    They are not
    That is a positive thing to my mind

What happened that the bill did not get past 2nd stage?

What happened that the bill did not get past 2nd stage?

A money message,probably

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Hang on are you saying that people of the state being unable to buy houses because they are being snapped up en-masse by investor funds so that they can make profit by charging extortionate rents is hyperbole?

Even when their Party Leaders say it's wrong and they're going to change the scheme the die hard cult members on here won't accept it.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Even when their Party Leaders say it's wrong and they're going to change the scheme the die hard cult members on here won't accept it.

Imagine one of them said it was hyperbole. One of the biggest issues in the last election with Health and homelessness and they say its hyperbole. We have Henry Street in Dublin turned into a homeless campsite and Vulture funds buying up whole estates which has been known about by all parties in the Dail and now its hyperbole because it has come and bitten them on the ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭corazon

You are bidding against yourself when you go to buy a house in Ireland. Your own tax money is the other major bidder. The only winner is the person who gets the subsidized housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Wrex

I have heard Leo Varadkar on a number of occasions claiming 65 to 70% own their own property in the state , but for me this seems inflated. In Dublin especially, would not be close to that, is he including a whole family with kids to come up with that number!

Be interested to see evidence or source of information for the stats quoted.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Threads merged, we do not need another standalone Leo Varadkar thread thank you very much!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,363 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Imagine one of them said it was hyperbole. One of the biggest issues in the last election with Health and homelessness and they say its hyperbole. We have Henry Street in Dublin turned into a homeless campsite and Vulture funds buying up whole estates which has been known about by all parties in the Dail and now its hyperbole because it has come and bitten them on the ass.

Are you aware the councils and immigration NGOs and charities are also buying up new houses exactly the same as these vulture funds to rent out as social housing.

Where's the outrage from the opposition to these groups stopping people from buying their first home?

Who are these vulture funds renting the houses too?

People are still been housed in them, so I've no idea why you think we wouldn't have tents if they didn't buy them.

Wrex wrote: »
    I have heard Leo Varadkar on a number of occasions claiming 65 to 70% own their own property in the state , but for me this seems inflated. In Dublin especially, would not be close to that, is he including a whole family with kids to come up with that number!

Be interested to see evidence or source of information for the stats quoted.

This from the Times from last December.

“Homeownership rates in the Republic have fallen significantly since the financial crash, while the number of households renting has risen by 56 per cent, according to the Central Statistics Office (CSO).
    The changing nature of household tenure in the State is detailed in the CSO’s latest tenure and household figures, which draw on a range of data sources including the most recent population census.
    They show the percentage of households in the Republic that owned their home outright or with a mortgage fell from 74.7 per cent in 2006 to 67.6 per cent in 2016.
    Within this, the number who owned their homes with a mortgage experienced the steepest decline, falling from 40.6 per cent to 31.6 per cent during the 10-year period.” https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/home-ownership-in-republic-falls-as-renting-levels-soar-1.4433012

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

You'd wonder are they communicating with one another at all.

They are Definatly communicating. I know for a fact the greens are causing stink over the lack of progress on housing and the lack of progressive change.
    But it's all behind closed doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

Triangle wrote: »
    They are Definatly communicating. I know for a fact the greens are causing stink over the lack of progress on housing and the lack of progressive change.
    But it's all behind closed doors.

I know the Greens are generally bad at politics but this would be incredibly bad even for them. They should be leaking their outrage left, right and centre to have any chance of avoiding another 2011 at the next election.

Are you aware the councils and immigration NGOs and charities are also buying up new houses exactly the same as these vulture funds to rent out as social housing.

Where's the outrage from the opposition to these groups stopping people from buying their first home?

Who are these vulture funds renting the houses too?

People are still been housed in them, so I've no idea why you think we wouldn't have tents if they didn't buy them.

Govt parties are outraged too.

corazon wrote: »
    You are bidding against yourself when you go to buy a house in Ireland. Your own tax money is the other major bidder. The only winner is the person who gets the subsidized housing.

Indeed,DCC bought 265 houses and apartments in 2018,directly in competition with joe public
    Who was it that was in charge of DCC at the time ?
    Can't be giviving out about vulture funds rightly without giving out about themselves rightly as well
    Thats opposition for you
    You can promise rockets to the moon,milk aswell as honey

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭CDarby

chickens coming home to roost, they knew fine well what was going on but did nothing to stem it, because these cuckoo fund guys were serving a useful purpose. unfortunate for them, the cat is now out of the bag.
    They think they had it bad at the last election, when their vote share fell, with exit polls citing health and housing for people's main reason for abandoning the traditional power swap fellas.

I genuinely have not seen such anger over various social media pages, television shows and radio programs in years. FF and FG look set for the opposition benches, I really cannot see how the opposition cannot be the only winners due to this. Govts are meant to govern and protect its people, not private entities and speculators, small accidental landlords crucified with taxes, while these fellas come in from overseas with their exorbitant wealth and pay none.

I genuinely fear for my kids that they'll ever be able to afford their own place without waiting for my wife and I to pass away first.

Peoole defending or excusing it are a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

When ministers say the vulture funds buying housing estates amounts to 1% of all private buying, they forget to mention that if a housing estate is bought by vulture fund it is marked down as if they have bought just one property. Why is this allowed to happen? This will naturally skew how sales are reported.

I keep reading on here that FFG are serious about tackling this? If they were they can add in the relevant amendments to Darragh O'Briens new bill, and have the bill voted on and passed next week. The longer they wait on doing something, the more it looks they are all mouth and no trousers.

Indeed,DCC bought 265 houses and apartments in 2018,directly in competition with joe public
    Who was it that was in charge of DCC at the time ?
    Can't be giviving out about vulture funds rightly without giving out about themselves rightly as well
    Thats opposition for you
    You can promise rockets to the moon,milk aswell as honey

Where else should DCC put their tenants? Tents on Henry Street?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Where else should DCC put their tenants? Tents on Henry Street?

Out beyond the m50 with the rest of us plebs. :pac:

Advertisement