Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - Part 3 - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭timmyntc

These are been bought and rented to the council who then houses people.

If they didn't those people would probably be "homeless"

And we would have opposition parties crying about all the homeless people.

Its still a bad deal for all involved. The council end up with no asset after the lease, its dead money. Compared to council builds the difference is obvious.
    Rents across the market go up.
    House prices across the market go up.

The only winners here are investment funds.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,363 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

timmyntc wrote: »
    Its still a bad deal for all involved. The council end up with no asset after the lease, its dead money. Compared to council builds the difference is obvious.
    Rents across the market go up.
    House prices across the market go up.

The only winners here are investment funds.

And the people who get housed in them for 50 euro a week.

The councils don't have the resources to build social houses en masse anymore.

So to satisfy all the loud shouting political parties and people running to the papers as they didn't get a 4 bedroom house for their 6 kids the government had to do something.

And now we see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭timmyntc

And the people who get housed in them for 50 euro a week.

The councils don't have the resources to build social houses en masse anymore.

So to satisfy all the loud shouting political parties and people running to the papers as they didn't get a 4 bedroom house for their 6 kids the government had to do something.

And now we see it.

The councils have the finance - and that is all they need. Councils do not direct build anymore, they do it via tender. They just need the money (which they have, via credit)

But instead they opt to agree long term leases because this way you can keep most of the cost of that lease off the books, and instead count it yearly. But at the end of the day after 20-25 years you've paid the guts of the price for a house, but have no asset. It looks good short term, but its disastrous long term planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,363 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

timmyntc wrote: »
    The councils have the finance - and that is all they need. Councils do not direct build anymore, they do it via tender. They just need the money (which they have, via credit)

But instead they opt to agree long term leases because this way you can keep most of the cost of that lease off the books, and instead count it yearly. But at the end of the day after 20-25 years you've paid the guts of the price for a house, but have no asset. It looks good short term, but its disastrous long term planning.

But then we have political parties ranting how expensive it is to using this way.

I agree its terrible planning.

But the government were under pressure to appease the left parties and media relentlessly at them to solve the homeless crisis over the last few years.

They were weak and caved in, and now its a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭katiek102010

My local FF TD has posted videos online of him tearing strips off Michael Martin over the vulture funds buying up the estates in maynooth and Dublin.

He has also shared another post by an organisation who critisied government policy.

From what I m seeing online that is a lot of infighting especially in FF at the moment.

Do you think the government will last till the end of the term or will we have another GE within the next few months?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Shebean

FF will have to be dragged out feet first. The Greens are keeping the head down. Both parties last hurrah for at least a while. FG will only call it a day if they think they'll walk the next election, so no election coming.

Shebean wrote: »
    FF will have to be dragged out feet first. The Greens are keeping the head down. Both parties last hurrah for at least a while. FG will only call it a day if they think they'll walk the next election, so no election coming.

I was thinking that FF will hold on till its swop time, and then mulybe they will pull. It will be promise nd promise and openly challenge FG legacy policies eg the housing for the next few months

• Registered Users Posts: 8,467 ✭✭✭jmreire

Given the general level of dissatisfaction amongst voters, I'd say that no party will want an election anytime soon. So its safe enough to critise each other, even in public, or at least to be seen to be critising . But I'm sure that the boundarys all nicely regulated. You would not need an elephants trunk to sniff which way the dissafaction wind is blowing...
    But as they say, a week can be a long time in Politics, and the unexpected can always happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭PuddingBreath

FF have killed themselves by keeping FG in power now for so long. If they had at least got the minister of finance position then there might have been a bit of real change, but no. it's now what, 12 years since 2009 and we're back to square one with housing. nothing has changed, actually, i lie, it's gotten worse. our family just about scraped together money to buy a couple of years back, must be pure hell now for people. a roof over your head seems too much to ask these day seemingly !?
    the health system is a disaster, was a disaster, needs complete overhaul and reforming, but nothing much changes. hearing more and more horror stories about our local hospital(not portlaoise or one that was high profile in the news in recent years), now they have the ould coofid19 to blame for all our woes. personally i would just completly privatise healthcare and use mandatory insurance/vouchers systems for poor people or elderly. if one hospital can't do the work then go somewhere else, real competition and consequences for not doing a good job.
    unfortuantly, Sinn Fein would go the opposite way to how i believe things should go, it wasn't always the way i thought, but spending more and more on a civil service/health system that doesn't seem capable of reform, accountability and actually performing is not sensible.
    it's my long winded way of saying that if FF had any interest in real change they would have done a deal with SF, half their own party knows that, but now neutrals like me are completly done with them. Pascal donohue was quick to borrow 6 billion for covid relief, but feic the homeless.
    i'm ranting, to answer your question, it has to last because Eamon Ryan and micheal Martin have destroyed themselves, their parties will not recover by the next election for what they have done so they have no choice to stick in now and get their pensions and then head off into the sunset.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

My local FF TD has posted videos online of him tearing strips off Michael Martin over the vulture funds buying up the estates in maynooth and Dublin.

He has also shared another post by an organisation who critisied government policy.

Time for the bleeding obvious question. Who is your TD?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Probably Marc McSharry who is one of the biggest morons in Irish Politics. FF would be losers no matter who they get in government with (mostly because they are a bit outdated and have pretty poor tds) but at least they didn't go into power with SF.

Personally I hope the government will hold because the alternative is a bit more left version of Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I know I'm stating the obvious but if there was an election tomorrow Mary Lou would be Taoiseach.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I know I'm stating the obvious but if there was an election tomorrow Mary Lou would be Taoiseach.

Well then it's great there is not an election tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Zaney

If there was an election tomorrow I think we’d be facing months and months of no Government at all.

But I agree with your sentiment, FF and FG would not expect to do well, so neither party will want an election.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

She’ll never be Taoiseach except in name only. That position will be shared by a close knit coterie sitting up on the Falls Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,433 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Trump for Taoiseach.

Déan Éire iontach arís

skimpydoo wrote: »
    Time for the bleeding obvious question. Who is your TD?

Willie ODea

• Registered Users Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

meeeeh wrote: »
    Well then it's great there is not an election tomorrow.
    I absolutely agree I just feel it's inevitable at this stage.

Willie ODea
    Thanks.

Willie ODea

Is he the minister for gee?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

I'm thinking sometime next year,there's only so long that they can drag out Covid and the payback for 18months of PUP and wage subsidy,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Trump for Taoiseach.

Déan Éire iontach arís

Can't see an orange man getting elected.

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    Can't see an orange man getting elected.

But the man from Del Monte says yes!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

FF took the following ministries during a pandemic: Health, Housing, Education, Agriculture (3 times) and Public Expenditure/Reform.

What were they thinking? No winners there. All so that MMartin would become Taoiseach.

I don't see an election until 2022. All 3 coalition parties will lose seats. The civil war power swap will be over.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

The cuckoo fund crap this week made many think of 2007, like we were back there and learned nothing,

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

FF took the following ministries during a pandemic: Health, Housing, Education, Agriculture (3 times) and Public Expenditure/Reform.

What were they thinking? No winners there. All so that MMartin would become Taoiseach.

I don't see an election until 2022. All 3 coalition parties will lose seats. The civil war power swap will be over.

I'm convinced Feb 22, they will wait till worst of pandemic is over, however I think MM will be gone before then

I'm convinced Feb 22, they will wait till worst of pandemic is over, however I think MM will be gone before then
    Leo will be gone too.

The long knives have been out for Martin since before he became Taoiseach. Which is a shame, as he's a genuinely decent politician, and a true Republican. FF won't see his like again.

• Advertisement

skimpydoo wrote: »
    Leo will be gone too.

Don't think Varadkar will come back after Dail Summer recess for some vague reason

Advertisement