Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - Part 3 - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

• Registered Users Posts: 26,982 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Pascal on explaining his capitulation, quite a turn of events, what was it said "unmitigated disaster if we loose the 12.5%"

He's terribly excited about getting rid of 'at least' from the agreement. Meanwhile sulking Leo maintains Ireland will loose €2billion a year as a result. Very confusing stuff, a tiny amount of companies will be affected and let's be honest, they are never going to pay 15% , wink, wink. The remainder not affected and I'm pretty confident few actually pay 12.5%.

In a nut shell, a pile of nonsense but satisfying watching Leo and Paschal eating humble pie.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

A tiny amount of companies? It's estimated it impacts over 1,500 companies here that directly employ 500,000 people.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,389 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Yeah but insurance companies, private hospitals and private consultants have little interest in all that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭dudley72

I am not sure what you are ranting and raving about. Plenty of people have written documents/articles on the issues with the changes. Best to read them and then decide instead of just jumping for joy because FG are in government. Seems a lot of biting off your nose to spite your face.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Donahue looking greasy and unsettled on the news

Quite a week in fairness

Farce of the Alledged National Plan which kind of reminds me of Blackadders Cunning plans, promise everything, offer no time line on commitments, hope we'll get re elected, wait a while and launch the same NDP again, hoping people will forget the last one. They must seriously think people are fools. The Greens hoping nothing will actually be developed, especially ghastly Road infrastructure projects. Eamonn Ryan couldn't even wait for the re launch to undermine it.

The great 12.5% capitulation (albeit the dogs on the street knew they'd do what they are told eventually)

Housing for all continuing to be ridiculed

Darragh O Brien inviting opposition to take some of the heat when it comes to a mica decision.

Squabbling within FG Parliament party , despite the denials.

SF poll results impressive, Gosh even FF up a little, FG? Well let's not go there .

MM having a great week , keeping under the Radar and letting Leo dig a bigger and bigger hole .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

It's not the headline rate which is disaster, it's the new rules on where companies will pay tax that will hit Ireland's revenues (Multinationals will no longer be able to book global revenues through Ireland and instead have to book them in the country they were generated)

100,000 according to Pascal himself and tiny in respect of many, many , many more companies it won't affect. I also don't believe anywhere near 1500 companies affected. It would seem 10 companies account for the vast majority of corporation tax collected, I would think if this is the case ,receipts will be higher not €2Billion less than Leo is kite flying about. Intel especially, are they going to pack up and live a €2 billion unfinished construction site behind, I doubt it.

Unless of course he's expecting, Apple, Intel , FB etc to head back to the USA and still pay 15%

More makey up stories to cover the fact, they've had their bottoms spanked and trying to put on a brave face. Bedsides are we seriously to believe companies like Apple will ever, ever pay 15%

You mean the Shenanigans is being stopped, seems reasonable to me, leaving Ireland won't change that .

• Advertisement

You are wasting your time trying to explain around here.

Ireland has lost a huge advantage now in attracting companies and jobs and we have people happy about it, baffling carry on.

It should be telling to people that all the other countries want this so they can squeeze ireland out but seemingly not

It's 100,000 employees of Irish multinationals and 400,000 employees of global multinationals based in Ireland. So 500,000 employees of approx 1,500 companies, not far off a quarter of the total workforce in the country directly employed by these entities. And not even started accounting for those indirectly employed.

To claim hardly any company here is impacted by the OECD agreement is just not factually correct.

I'm also unclear as to what you are trying to claim about the 2bn per year loss this will cause for Ireland. Are you suggesting it was made up or something like that? That is what the analysis arrived at applying the proposed pillars of the OECD agreement to Ireland and is not being disputed by anyone. This agreement will have a negative impact on Ireland's corporation tax receipts. That's not in doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,564 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

It will be a good test to see if companies really did come here for the well educated workforce the Government were saying was the reason or what everyone already knows was the real reason which is the low corpo tax.

We are a small island cut off from the rest of Europe since Brexit, its time to get real and accept a lot less companies will be coming here from now on.

A lot of companies originally came here with manufacturing/call centres etc. After a while it proved cheaper to move these to other regions and Ireland had to change. We seen what happened to Limerick after Dell pulled the majority out, not just to the employees but I think it was mentioned over 4k eggs per day went into those offices.

Since then the software development jobs etc have started to move into Ireland. We have the advantage we are in Europe so people can move over here from within Europe without a visa requirement and our second benefit is our corpo tax. So it wasn't just the educated of Ireland, it was of Europe we could pull on. The main thing as well as bringing in these people, they earned wages, paid tax, pushed money into the economy etc

Now we have lost the advantage, you will have the likes of France/Germany/Spain etc all going after these jobs. Question is what country would you prefer to move to if you want to bring the best of Europe, Ireland with pissing rain or a nice part of Spain with a lower cost of living?

We are going to start losing, maybe slowly but it will speed up as other countries go after the jobs we have. Yet we have people here overjoyed at the prospect. We are heading back to kids moving overseas to get work. This will turn out to be a terrible day for Ireland in years to come.

I'm not claiming it, Leo is.

Bottom line is really quite simple, Ireland had Zero option to sign up , its a global agreement and this scare mongering nonsense on how this will impact anything is absurd. What's even more farcical is Leo & Paschal foolishly spouting nonsense about not accepting the inevitable and then guess what, accepting the inevitable.

I'm only repeating what Paschal said at his capitulation press conference, namely, it will have zero impact on the vast majority of companies based in Ireland. This aside, those impacted , what ate they going to do, say at least its not 21%, they are going nowhere and as I've said, it's highly unlikely multinationals will ever, ever pay 15%

• Registered Users Posts: 68,972 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

An immoral advantage that lumped us in with other tax havens and banana republics. Still work to do on getting rid of that image.

I'm confused, what are you suggesting Varadkar is claiming exactly? The 2bn annual loss to the exchequer? He wouldn't have anything to do with quantifying the corporation tax hole in Ireland caused by the proposed OECD agreement, hence why I feel I must be picking you up your point wrong here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Shebean

Build to rent investors in the U.S. where having seminars about how great Ireland was for making a killing off the cowboy government. Taken for mugs and used while FF/FG patted each other on the head. The backroom dealing FF/FG had to pay the piper at some point. They made millionaires and billionaires richer while the tax paying Irish got shat on.

😂

Not the truth, but fun to read the made up stories here.

• Advertisement

All of it. Well maybe the section on US companies saying how great Ireland is was true. The rest is rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Well look, the opposition have wanted this for years so maybe it's a good thing seems they have all the answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

Taxing low wage peasants at a 50% marginal tax rate and allowing companies with more money than God pay nothing....

Sounds fair alright , decades of ffg BS!

Link to companies with more money than god pay nothing please?

Just so you know the money the low wage peasants pay 50% of comes from.........

These companies.

So just playing defence. Does it get tiring?

You disagree. I get you back FF/FG 100% but other people are allowed opinions without the party faithful making false claims thank you very much.

Playing defence? You are talking about people jobs here. So Yes I am playing defence. Everyone should be playing defence

These companies brought in millions to Ireland, people earned millions, spent millions, they gave millions in tax, indirectly they also created jobs and made millions......

I think Murph and his ilk won't be satisfied until these evil corporations leave Ireland for good.

That will teach them.

That what it would seem, back to the good old days of moving to England/US when you leave school, or maybe you can struggle to pay for college and then leave for abroad.

Great times

• Registered Users Posts: 11,226 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

All the main parties have been rattling on for years that any change to the mythical 12.5% corporation tax that was apparently laid down by Moses, would wreck us.

All the recent 'debate' clearly shows that they really haven't a clue of it's effect or otherwise. It was just a mantra. Disliking change because afraid of some big bad bogeyman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

They made Ireland a crooked joke. Now they are forced to mend their ways they are all out pretending they decided to do this latest flip flop. What complete losers. I feel for their shills not knowing where to stand on a given topic.

Advertisement