Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - Part 3 - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Sorry, I think you might have misunderstood me, I don't think it'll matter a dam what FF say or do ref the Shinners (it will be taken with a pinch of salt regardless) remember this?

And could end up spectacularly backfiring on them (FG) if they wanted to play that game.

As I said here "because from what I can see it's already looking like a "referendum" regardless." attempting that strategy (let's face it, Leo's election strategies haven't exactly been a success so far) could end up decimating them.

It's already looking like a FFG v SF led alternative election, FG won't fare well trying to split the FFG part of it in my opinion. Lord knows though, Leo is probably stupid enough to try it (assuming he's still leader at that point)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,501 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I don't think it'll matter a dam what FF say or do ref the Shinners (it will be taken with a pinch of salt regardless) remember this?

Surely it'll matter to voters who are hostile to SF and don't want to see them in government under any circumstances, which is who FG will be pitching to if they adopt this strategy? If FG are saying absolutely no deal with SF under any circumstances and FF are saying maybe or trying to dodge the question the choice will be pretty clear for those voters.

Re the possibility of this strategy damaging FG electorally, well it's not really about the next election. I'm sure the vast majority of FGers have resigned themselves to the reality (possibly many with relief) that SF will be leading the next government and FG will play no role in its formation. So in that scenario does it really matter except to individual TDs if FG come back with 20, 30, 40 seats? Going all in on anti-SF would be about positioning the party for the future when the voters, especially middle class ones, tire of and SF-led government and are looking around for something different.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭BKelly21

Strange way to look at things.

Where do people think this money came from/is being taken from?

Where do people think this money will come from to replace it?

I reckon it's tax payers money, being given back to tax payers, which needs to be replaced again, also by tax payers.

Alternative theory could be that they (FFG) have found this magic money tree that they often refer to. I'm personally not getting too excited over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

It will be the most fascinating election campaign in the history of the state. The sham of the power swap elections will be over. The opposition have a long time to plan their approach while FFG have plenty of more chaos and waste and scandal to roll out.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,558 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

same story; that'll work to woo a vote from someone whose mortgage is €5k more per annum than it should be, €600 back in their pocket. SF's support will be decimated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I envisage FF doing worse than that bad poll suggests. Imagine during the election campaign when they roll out their 'big guns' - the electorate will be reminded about how poor they are...Foley, Donnelly, failed Agriculture ministers, the loud housing guy (name escapes me) and Martin himself. The 6 Social Democrat TDs alone would make mince meat of them.

The FG ministers have achieved nothing. They are hiding.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

They'll use the members of some family had a son or daughter killed. You can be sure most news stories will be opinion pieces on the 'RA in the lead up. Shameless.

I don't think that'll be the main focus of anti-SF propaganda going forward. Anyone even considering voting SF has effectively agreed to let those bygones be bygones. Fron now on it'll be mostly sacremongering about SF's economic policies: tax rises for the middle classes, flight of FDI etc...

Theres a major flaw in your thinking here, the people who wanted to see the back of FG in govt, only to see them return aided and abetted by FF will now have more reason than ever to vote SF, only this time they'll be giving their vote to SF instead of FF.

FF vow not to enter coalition with SF? Voters who wanted to see the back of FG will now vote for SF, those who debated FF/former FF voters (such as me) will now overwhelmingly give SF their vote. FF stalwarts may be disillusioned with their alliance with FG and lok elsewhere also.

In short, it's like the way FG mistakenly believe dragging up the troubles in the north from 1975 will somehow help their campaign, rather than it being what it is - preaching to the converted.

Personally speaking I really and truly believe we are witnessing both FF/FG being in terminal decline. People are sick of them, especially young professionals who are earning decent salaries but still can't afford to own homes.

Don't get me started on the annual health crisies, and during this tenure we had Woulfe being given his role. Golfgate, Merriongate, Zappone cronyism, the AG covering Leo's behind, and FFG voting confidence in a Tánaiste who admitted sharing details of a confidential negotiations concerning a government contract with his friend who had no business receiving it.

I hope the next election campaign is a long drawn out one, because the sheer entertainment from it will be epic!

Personally speaking I really and truly believe we are witnessing both FF/FG being in terminal decline. People are sick of them, especially young professionals who are earning decent salaries but still can't afford to own homes.

It's conceivable, but the voters' love affair with SF won't last forever either. After a certain period of SF-led government, people will be looking for an alternative, and it's unlikely to be further to the left. It's not impossible that new political forces could emerge in the centre or on the right, but the Irish have shown very little interest in those so far. So it'll be back to FF and/or FG, and IMO FG will be far better positioned to capitalise on the swing against SF when it eventually comes if they maintain a consistent strong anti-SF line in the interim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,918 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

I will happily take the 100 yo yo's but they haven't bought my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

That was their tactic in the last election and it backfired badly becasue people dont care what happened in the 1980s, they care about the here and now. Even FGs own election review conducted by Richard Bruton stated that FG attacking SF on the Troubles had not worked and drove votes towards SF. If they go with that tactic again it will get even worse for them.

The results of that latest poll doesn't seem to have gone down too well with FFers.

And what I wouldn't give to have been a fly on the wall while Leo was reading that result eating his breakfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Think it's fairly accepted that Paul Williams is a fantasist, sending him out to do his spiel is a spent force at this stage, same for Claire Byrne,

Guessing they promised Burke more cake every time he answered a question

Here's a nice tweet from a nice young member of YFG! If I was a FG voter I'd be worried for the party if this type is their future!

https://twitter.com/Kilfalwol/status/1469655974378094599

Oh dear, that went down like a lead balloon, honestly these implosions have become fairly predictable at this stage.

Poll results announced showing FG dip in support, while SF continue to surge.

Someone from MSM (assistant editors of you don't mind) and someone from FF/FG will tweet or say something they believe will somehow be damaging to SF.

Their tweet/post/statement will be shown for the blatant lie it is, and they end up getting torn asunder on social media.

The whole cycle begins again with FG/FG taking a hit because of their lying, SF continue to surge.

When will someone from within FG shout STOP! at these fools and their idiotic antics on social media for goodness sake?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,936 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I see Simon Harris has been released..

He saw those whispers about a possible leadership run and took it seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,656 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Does this mean he had finished his consideration of making a complaint against the SF TD who named as the leak in the Dail?

• Advertisement

Think it's more to do with people guessing names for the public servant during the week, Get yourself seen so they know it's not you

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Up At Fleecies

You gotta hand it to Daniel Radcliffe, takes a neck like a jockeys bollocks to argue with someone, about something they were directly involved in an event that happened decades before Foley-Walsh was even born......

Read this.....

Keep em coming FG, what an absolute donkey.

I think it's great. Every one of these yarns will come back to bite him anytime he tries to make a career in politics.

Surely the person that put up the original tweet calling Adams a coward and using the child as protection is some sort of parody account, surely no one in Fine Gael could be that stupid that they would post up a picture and then double down on the lies when corrected by one of the subjects in the picture?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

That's the ex president of YFG! And I think he's still secretary of the Kilkenny branch of YFG (though bit of a Lannigans ball routine there, in and out again etc)

He's a bit of an attention seeker, but I don't think he licked it off a stone, has a great mentor.

Never seen a crash n burn tweet like it before, he made some idiot of himself there.

I think if the guy had just apologised after his original tweet and left it at that it wouldn't be so bad but the fact that after the guy in the photo tweets him to correct him, he then doubles down on the original tweet, unreal. Is this what we have to look forward to from FG?

I seem to remember a YFG member out here in Meath East posting a tweet and he got roasted like this lad funnily enough haven't heard a peep out of him since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Does anyone else suspect there may be some trouble in paradise after Donoghue's comments over the weekend about running as a unit during the next election?

Difficult to see why he'd bring this up when the election is three years away, unless he has reason to fear that one of the other coalition partners might bring it down sooner. Could there be rumblings of an FF revolt against Martin or a split in the Greens, thus leading to some jitters within FG and a perceived need to remind their coalition partners that they must all hang together or else they'll all be hanged separately?

Advertisement