Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - Part 3 - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Floppybits wrote: »
    That won't happen. Firstly I can't see Varadkar being charged and secondly FF are facing annihilation if there was an election in the near future. FF need to stay in government for as long as possible and hope to get in some big wins in that time. In the unlikely event of Varadkar being charged and if he left government then FF could do a Pointus Pilot and wash their hands of it and say it is now an FG matter and hope to continue on.

Agreed.

The precedent has been set with Calleary and others. Leave it to the other party to sort. Martin would say that he has grave doubts about Varadkar's suitability for government but that it is a matter for FG as to who they put forward. Coveney would be the leader and Tanaiste within days and the coalition would carry on their merry way. The same would apply to any other scandal.

Look at the Chu Senate issue. She ran for the Senate against a Government candidate, but neither of the big parties leaked votes to her.

The best prospect for FF and the Greens is for this coalition to last so that they can point to achievements in an attempt to be re-elected. Not getting the main job until December 2022 keeps FG in place.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 56 ✭✭Is this the end

blanch152 wrote: »
    Agreed.

The precedent has been set with Calleary and others. Leave it to the other party to sort. Martin would say that he has grave doubts about Varadkar's suitability for government but that it is a matter for FG as to who they put forward. Coveney would be the leader and Tanaiste within days and the coalition would carry on their merry way. The same would apply to any other scandal.

Look at the Chu Senate issue. She ran for the Senate against a Government candidate, but neither of the big parties leaked votes to her.

The best prospect for FF and the Greens is for this coalition to last so that they can point to achievements in an attempt to be re-elected. Not getting the main job until December 2022 keeps FG in place.

Achievements? there hasnt been 1 month that there hasn't been controversy in the Govt

On polls recently on journal.ie and claire byrne show, barely 15% of people said they believed FF or FG can save the housing crisis.
    The dressing room is lost

• Registered Users Posts: 7,641 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Achievements? there hasnt been 1 month that there hasn't been controversy in the Govt

On polls recently on journal.ie and claire byrne show, barely 15% of people said they believed FF or FG can save the housing crisis.
    The dressing room is lost

The problem is that the dressing maybe lost but the government will be saying we have a couple of years to turn this around. Now whether they can do that is another thing.

Floppybits wrote: »
    The problem is that the dressing maybe lost but the government will be saying we have a couple of years to turn this around. Now whether they can do that is another thing.

Well they seem in no rush to try fix the vulture funds buying up large sections of estates and apartments so I can it getting worse

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Humour Me

This is the type of populist rubbish that gives economic analysis a bad name.

You are crying that these people can't save enough for a mortgage deposit, but somehow they are supposed to be the same people who saved through the pandemic and are now expected to go out and spend money to get the economy back up and running? That simply doesn't add up.

But that’s my point. The government, hospitality sector and tourism sector will be crying out for people to go out and spend, because we won’t have high tourist numbers for the rest of the year. But there is an entire cohort of people who won’t be spending because they are saving for a deposit and 3.5 salary isn’t sufficient. Obviously it would be better for the economy and employment levels for people to be spending, but if they don’t trust the government to solve the housing issue, then they are going to hold onto the cash.

• Advertisement

Humour Me wrote: »
    But that’s my point. The government, hospitality sector and tourism sector will be crying out for people to go out and spend, because we won’t have high tourist numbers for the rest of the year. But there is an entire cohort of people who won’t be spending because they are saving for a deposit and 3.5 salary isn’t sufficient. Obviously it would be better for the economy and employment levels for people to be spending, but if they don’t trust the government to solve the housing issue, then they are going to hold onto the cash.

Personally any money in hospitality i spend will be in Spain and Portugal from June onwards via Belfast.

No chance am i paying over the odds for a week down the country with prices 5 times more than parts of Europe

Well they seem in no rush to try fix the vulture funds buying up large sections of estates and apartments so I can it getting worse

I am not saying it will get better but the government will feel at the moment that they have time on their side as it suits none of the parties in government at the moment to bring down the government so they will feel they have 3 years or so to turn things around.

Now whether they can do that is another thing but that is what they are thinking at this time. I like most people wouldn't have the confidence in them to do that but we can only wait and see.

Personally any money in hospitality i spend will be in Spain and Portugal from June onwards via Belfast.

No chance am i paying over the odds for a week down the country with prices 5 times more than parts of Europe

I know I am holding out on booking anything till I see what is going on with travel and if there is a choice between being able to holiday here or somewhere hot and sunny in Europe I know what I will be choosing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Martin may well resign as FF leader when his time as Taoiseach comes to an end, but a new FF leader wouldn't be stupid enough to go straight into an election. That would be especially true if it is Jim O'Callaghan as he has zero Ministerial experience and would need some under his belt before an election.

Well I guess Calleary and Cowen couldn't handle their ministerial experience ;)

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

No wonder people can't afford houses if others are spending their money outside the country rather than putting it into the local economy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Oymyakon

No wonder people can't afford houses if others are spending their money outside the country rather than putting it into the local economy.

I really doubt that's the reason for lack of affordable housing. More money in local economy without solving the supply issue would just drive house prices up even further.

Oymyakon wrote: »
    I really doubt that's the reason for lack of affordable housing. More money in local economy without solving the supply issue would just drive house prices up even further.

The supply problem can only be solved by senior politicians stopping making objections to every house development and the councillors in Dublin getting up off their arses and allowing high density.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Oymyakon

The supply problem can only be solved by senior politicians stopping making objections to every house development and the councillors in Dublin getting up off their arses and allowing high density.

Yes, totally agree - but not sure how that's at all related to people spending their money abroad during their Summer holiday :)

Oymyakon wrote: »
    Yes, totally agree - but not sure how that's at all related to people spending their money abroad during their Summer holiday :)

Another facet of the problem, spending local to boost the domestic economy is vitally important.

First-time buyers are predominantly people working for multinationals where the salaries are much higher than elsewhere.

Hahahahaha the likes of me not giving a hotel 1000 for a week in Kerry when a weeks holiday plus flights Spain be 1/4 the price is the reason people cant afford houses.

Maybe FF and FG can try that excuse, they tried everything else

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Another facet of the problem, spending local to boost the domestic economy is vitally important.

First-time buyers are predominantly people working for multinationals where the salaries are much higher than elsewhere.

That's total tosh, lots of multinational jobs pay very ordinary salaries and overall make up a small percentage of the workforce,

What are you on about? We got 11 million tourists in 2019 - I think we do just fine in terms of a holiday spending surplus. We fleece them too.

Right now a bunch of bigwigs are in arguably the most famous pub in Dublin for the golden circle, Doheny & Nesbitt, swilling pints

There's a video doing the rounds on twitter and Fine Fail and Micheal Martin are getting mentioned alot, has over 12k views in an hour

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Right now a bunch of bigwigs are in arguably the most famous pub in Dublin for the golden circle, Doheny & Nesbitt, swilling pints

There's a video doing the rounds on twitter and Fine Fail and Micheal Martin are getting mentioned alot, has over 12k views in an hour

Here it is. One fella looks very familiar.

https://twitter.com/wereontheditch/status/1392933334020497412?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

skimpydoo wrote: »

Any proof that this clip was actually taken today?

• Advertisement

Any proof that this clip was actually taken today?

There is a receipt from the bar with todays date on a tweet from the same poster underneath it

• Registered Users Posts: 15,095 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

The video looks like it's from 10 years ago judging by the quality, The receipt is from what could be from any of the pubs the group own doing take away pints and the source of the "story" is less reliable than the weather.

Strange, one of the guys with his back to the camera looks like someone I know who died last year. Are you sure of the provenance of this video?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Strange, one of the guys with his back to the camera looks like someone I know who died last year. Are you sure of the provenance of this video?

Think the whole thing is fake, a distraction that failed,

Damning that they knew the extent of the problem and chose to ignore it.

https://www.independent.ie/business/commercial-property/government-warned-over-cuckoo-funds-power-in-2019-40425460.html
    The government’s own research warned in 2019 that cuckoo funds were unlikely to help boost the supply of affordable housing but could instead develop ‘monopolistic power’ in parts of the market they came to dominate.

The report from the Department of Finance warned that should the built-to-rent investment sector continue to grow it would lead to socio-economic division in some urban areas in the longer-term.
    In just two years since that report was published, cuckoo funds have dramatically accelerated their acquisitions of thousands of mostly new homes.

Their share of the market is now approaching 18,000 units and in the past 15 months they have spent around €2.4bn buying up homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Woah

This government are very lucky that covid is still around or else there would be protests on the streets I suspect

Thats your response to over 300 who need care in hospital being left on trolleys for upto 48 hours?

It seems recruitment is an issue according to the examiner. Critical staff getting redeployed to do Vaccinations is another.

They had a full year to get pharamists etc involved so critical staff in hospitals wouldn't need to be used.

This is disgraceful. 44,000 people failed to turn up for hospital appointments in the south west area last year alone. I’m sure that’s the Government’s fault?

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40290320.html

This is disgraceful. 44,000 people failed to turn up for hospital appointments in the south west area last year alone. I’m sure that’s the Government’s fault?

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40290320.html

Doesn't that show you the system they are using is very badly broken! But yet they continue to persist with it.

Badly fukt wrote: »
    Doesn't that show you the system they are using is very badly broken! But yet they continue to persist with it.

The system where a patient goes to their doctor who refers them to a hospital and they don’t bother turning up for the appointment or have the courtesy to inform the hospital, thereby stopping another patient receiving treatment?

• Advertisement

The system where a patient goes to their doctor who refers them to a hospital and they don’t bother turning up for the appointment or have the courtesy to inform the hospital, thereby stopping another patient receiving treatment?

The system where they just snail mail appointments to patients without ever knowing they get them or knowing they've opened them!

Advertisement