Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - Part 3 - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

But even if he was referring to the word Fairy, who gave Leo the right to decide how and who should use it?

If Leo were to use it, would it be considered homophobic?

Was he referring to the word Fairy? Or is everyone just assuming?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

From the post "- Fck off Leo."

Next time you get outraged about the government maybe check what you are actually getting outraged about 🤣

That is not outrage, You really need to look up that word. 🙄

Still not answering the other question. 😂

You are running from one thread to another posting about it. Yes of course you are not.

I have no idea what Leo was referring to. That's why I didn't make any comment on it. From the video it is not clear if it was something said before the video or not. So how could I or anyone make a comment on this or any other thread without the facts?

Its the usual, you seen FG and Leo and flew off handle. It's the over the top reaction to everything to do with FG. Hilarious to watch the outrage all the time. 😂

The Healy Rae clan trying to say they speak for the people, now that is what you should be getting upset about.

I have posted in this thread and the Healy-Rae thread to find out if that is what he was referring to, and see if anyobody know what was the actual thing that Leo was upset about as well as a few on here. Am I not allowed to post in other threads?

• Advertisement

Did I say you couldn't post in another thread.

I am sure the outrage will die down soon, then we can all wait for the next outrage over something else mundane. I will leave the posters on the other thread to explain to you about the term used, they seem a lot more knowledgeable that little old me

While I don’t think Healey Rae meant any offense, he should be careful about what he is saying.

In what way? Leo is the only person that could have possibly misconstrued that phrase, if that is what he was referring to. Healy-Rae did nothing wrong in this instance, and it is Leo who should be more careful about when and where he points the finger.

I didn’t say that Healy Rae did anything wrong. In these WOKE days, someone in his position should be more careful about what he says. It was an interesting exchange, but politicians of every party and none, will grab at any chance to criticise the other side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,958 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

???

You don't see offence but he should be careful about what he says?

???

It is even more important in these WOKE days, that somebody is not incorrectly called out like that, if that is what Leo was referring to.

It is not on MHR to be more careful in this instance, it is on Leo.

I think the poster on the Healy Rae thread gave you an excellent explanation. Now you can ignore that if you want but it was excellent

It is funny how you are not outraged but you managed to go around the internet and Leo Journals(which I have no idea what they are or how you found them) in the hope that Leo had used the same term and then post it. 🤣

It is on the person to be more careful. They are a TD, they are supposed to represent Ireland as Healy Rae claims he is doing. Based on the comments on the other thread this is not a word that should be used, he should apologise and move on. I doubt he will.

Storm in a tea cup as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I just watched the Leo/MHR clip and the only thing that struck me is how poor our political system is - they both need to stop bickering and get on with fixing the major problems in this country. MHR is a bit of a messer and I don't know why Kerry elect him when he is only interested in lining his own pockets. On the other hand Leo, despite the Garda investigation and narcissism is probably the most capable leader in FG at the moment - the other contenders like Coveney and McEntee have shown their lack of leadership qualities in recent months. Alan Farrell on the other hand is rising from the ashes...😄

But that nonsense in the Dail just saddens me. Is this the New Politics they promised me?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Not sure how you can take that from the clip, it is a 2-3 min clip from probably a couple of hours in the Dail today.

I would expect the rest of the day was discussing topics like housing etc. I have no interest in sitting watching it all day to see what they did/didn't discuss as I don't have the time and even if I did I would find something better to do.

The few times the Healy Rae clan manage to get to the Dail they always seem to be involved in some bullsh*t but never involved in doing any good

This is the usual storm in a tea cup.

It's weaponising certain phrases in an ad-hoc way to cause a distraction. Old trick - old politics.

Which poster? I have replied to any I noticed, I can't always do it immediately, I have other things to be doing. I didn't see any excellent explanation anywhere so you really will have to point it out to me.

Leo's journals were pointed out by somebody on another forum (I think Reddit) and then went semi Viral in Ireland for a while. They were everywhere, twitter, proc, boards, and many other places.

"It is on the person to be more careful. They are a TD, they are supposed to represent Ireland as Healy Rae claims he is doing. Based on the comments on the other thread this is not a word that should be used, he should apologise and move on. I doubt he will."

No it is not. Leo is supposedly the next Taoiseach if all goes well for him, he shouldn't be incorrectly calling people out, especially in the current society. The issue is Leo's and his alone, nobody else that I have heard thought MHR meant anything by it, nor should everybody have to change their vocabulary because somebody decides to incorrectly take offence with it. This is a storm in a Teacup, but brought to the fore because of Leo picking it up so wrong and calling him out, when in fact he is the leader of one of the parties in government, he shouldn't be calling people out on such nonsense. HE should be more careful.

Soon we won't be able to mention Ireland's most famous goalkeeper without somebody becoming offended because they choose to be.

Did you yourself find it offensive?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,959 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I am at risk of repeating myself, but education about these matters needs to happen.

This post is exactly the type of attitude that ensures that pejorative statements about various groups persist. Language needs to be understood in its context. A word used in particular way in a particular statement may not be offensive while in another context it may.

Michael Healy-Rae did not use "airy-fairy" in its normal context. Instead, he told an openly gay man to "go on away with the airy-fairies and see where that gets you". A very clear reference to the use of fairy as derogatory to gay people. MHR probably thought he was being clever or funny. He wasn't.

Yes, it is on the lighter side of homophobia, probably equivalent to the poster who named himself after the Taoiseach's partner, but like that reference, it is insidious and cynical, pretending to be something normal.

It was really upsetting to hear the people on Joe Duffy telling how difficult it is outside of Dublin to be openly LBGTQ, seven years after the same-sex referendum. The persistence of attitudes like MHRs and those that give comfort to it are a large part of that.

So to finish up, it wasn't a perfectly normal phrase used in a perfectly normal way. That we need to explain that shows how far education about prejudice needs to travel in this country.

"Michael Healy-Rae did not use "airy-fairy" in its normal context. Instead, he told an openly gay man to "go on away with the airy-fairies and see where that gets you". A very clear reference to the use of fairy as derogatory to gay people. MHR probably thought he was being clever or funny. He wasn't."

Would you get a grip. Talking absolute horsesh*t there.

What about Leo calling a straight man a big fairy? Isn't that more offensive if that's the case?

The context he use it in is perfectly acceptable.

'Go away with those in fantasy, impractical and foolishly idealistic, land'.

If the phrase was intended to mean something else...you need to prove that. It isn't up to the person using the phrase in a perfectly acceptable way.

Weaponising words to cause distraction.

• Advertisement

I see the outrage is back again 😂

You asked on the other thread, the person gave you an answer which you didn't like so came back to this thread ignoring the explanation provided.

I have no interest in the ridiculous carry on about this. It was you who went all over the internet trying to find an instance when Leo used this word as some sort of "proof".

I genuinely have no idea what post you are referring toI have asked you to point it out, but as usual, you ignore the questions), and you really need to get a dictionary. No outrage here, just a lot of laughter at the FG buffoonery, Defending anything an any cost. It is hilarious.

As for going "all over the internet" - I didn't go anywhere, nor did I need to look far. The journal entries are posted in at least three forums, including this one, and all over twitter. I had read them when they were found, and I remember it being mentioned. No big conspiracy here. 🤣 I don't think there needs to be any when it involves Leo.

All over the internet.. 🤣😂

No need for me to prove anything.

The weaponising of words comes from the use of it by MHR.

As I said in my last post, it becomes clearer all the time that education about prejudice needs to travel a long long way in this country.

You need to prove that it was used in a prejudiced way.

Of course you can't do that so it's proceed to hanging as usual.

If I am being honest I have always felt you were completely faking it with this topic and the topic of misogyny. Completely. I don't usually engage because I have strong feelings on both matters but I just wanted to say that before your horse gets any higher. I have seen the mask slip too. Methinks he doth protest too much - I am watching you Blanch, report away 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Everyone's favourite magazine has an opinion on it too. Calling on an apology from Healy Rae or a suspension.

The fact is that making a big issue out of this idiocy will only benefit MHR in the long run. The people that would vote for him will lap it up.

Leo told MHR to reflect on his words and I imagine Leo does not want to make a bigger issue out of this. The perceived optics are vulgar enough already and doubling down only gives the Kerry gobdaw more attention.

There it is, the naked political hate in play. You are not interested in the homophobia displayed by MHR, and remember I said "it is on the lighter side of homophobia", all you are interested in is in scoring points against another poster. Off with you.

When even Village Magazine is condemning it, you are on the wrong side of this one.

'lighter side of homophobia'?

There's a 'light side' to homophobia?

You are just making up stuff to take offence to at this stage.

• Advertisement

"You are not interested in the homophobia displayed by MHR"

Again.

There was no homophobia.

Advertisement