Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - Part 3 - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I don't think the government have any real idea on how much fury there is in the country surrounding the rental market situation. FF&FG have completely broken the housing market and it will be the #1 issue in GE.Next. The health system will be a close 2nd and their failures on Slaintecare will be exposed.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,948 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I'll say it again. I am nonplussed about the actual event, like I am about many events that hold no interest for me.

I am, curiously enough on a politics thread, interested in the political aspect of it and once again I am chuckling at the wee fantasy worlds you invent that are at variance with the real world we know Irish politics inhabits.

Having reminded you of how Coveney operates in the real world (the Zappone fiasco) I'll remind you of how his party operated in the previous government when personalities decided to commemorate the black and tans...again bypassing everybody, not getting proper appraisal etc etc etc etc. And then spinning it all as you do, as good governance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Tick in the box, you got the RIC event wedged into a post 😂

It is noticeable how the mood has changed around Ireland, yes FF & FG have made errors in housing but everyone is now aware how much other parties have helped cause this crisis. Plus not only helped create it but now working to make sure it remains which is disgusting carry on.

Based on the number of houses been built now without even taking into consideration all the ones blocked the housing situation should be a lot better by the GE.

I would still like to see them stop building houses in major cities. Apartments only for the next 3 years should be the requirement

Tick in the box, you offered nothing to the discussion but yet another attempt to shut it down.

The Zappone fiasco and the B&T one show that blanch's ideal world fantasy does not exist in Irish politics or indeed, anywhere else. Entirely relevant to mention them.

• Advertisement

Shut it down 😂

A nice little link about the event on the pro's/con's. Also it was the RIC and nothing to do with B&T's but I am sure you are aware of that.

Anyway it was a great example of the government listening to the people, they put a proposal together. The public said they didn't want it and it was shut down. Exactly how a government should work. They do what the people want.

Funny how this is fired out all the time on the internet as if it is some sort of proof, I have no idea what it is supposed to be proof of. If anything this proves that the Irish government at the time listened to the people of Ireland

Also it was the previous government, nothing to do with the current one. Maybe start up a thread if you want to discuss it or the Zappone event.

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭CarProblem

But do they care? Noonan did everthing he could to ramp prices in the 2011-16 government. I remember asking a FG canvasser in 2016 had the party done its sums around this (was the 50+, property owning demographic they were trying to restore asset values for bigger than the younger cohort they were p!ssing off). Yet here we are in 2022 and things are much much worse

I don't disagree with you on what are the top issues but there are many others too. Among my colleagues/friends (I'm not naive this isn't a huge % of the population but we're talking 3rd level educated, higher rate tax payers - traditional FG voters) personal taxation is also a huge talking point. We still have a 52% marginal rate and pretty much every company I know is hiring from abroad as there's local talent shortages. Those people can of course avail of SARP (which is the govt admitting taxes are too high) which leaves an even worse sour taste in mouths of people from Ireland working in ireland.

It's the clearest proof yet that 'personality led politics' is the reality here. A scheme concocted by personalities (Flanagan and Varadkar) who thought his clout would make it happen. The fastest most embarrassing turnaround of a government that I have ever seen and the cost extracted at the GE ensued. The Zappone appointment happened the same way.

I have no interest in 'discussing the events themselves. I used them as examples in a discussion about current events. That you don't like to be reminded of them, is your own issue.

😂

I doubt you do want to discuss the RIC event. First off it was the previous government and second off it was a great example of a government listening to the people.

It's a pity other government/assemblies don't do the same.

FF and FG have made errors?! 😂😂😂

Oh yes they have. And it's entirely on them. Hard to blame other parties that have not been in government.

Housing will still be in crisis at the next election and the public know exactly who to blame.

• Advertisement

It was the previous government showing once again that governments here have always engaged in personality politics. The lead party of the previous government is once again in this government. Entirely relevant even if you don't want to be reminded of when personalities pet projects went down in embarrassing flames.

On foot of that, people have assessed that Coveney's political clout and ability to get things through has diminished because of his involvement and handling of various scandals around him. He was leader in making in a lot of eyes but the chances of that are receding into the mist.

The black and tans,were literally sworn in,as constables of the ric

The levels to which fg go to try and outright lie and bullsh1t the public is bizzare.....not happy enough with running country and public services into the ground,they now just perpetually lie about everything they do aswell

The previous government and this government are almost entirely the same personal

Such utter bull,fg try and sell the people as they try and justify forcing entire generations into paying rent to forgien landlords and investment funds....

change the listing of housing,to a good,not a service and watch our "econmic preformance" collaspe and balance of trade be forced into a deficit,ffg have effectively exported housing,and ruined this country for any hope to make a life here,for all but the top 2%👏👏👏👏

Home ownership rate is 73% at last check point. I think you need to check your math

https://tradingeconomics.com/ireland/home-ownership-rate

You see this is the problem, some people just want the housing crisis to continue. Reading that post it suggest you do as well, why? just so a party you like might get into government. Really thats such a twisted way to look at the World.

it's the same with some parties and people are starting to cop on. They will do anything to keep up the crisis so they might get into government. As I said the mood is changing and people have noticed it.

It's no longer concern about the housing crisis or the people affected, it's with glee people are shoving it down people throats. not very nice, not very nice at all.

I think the goal is to get rid of those who caused the crisis and end the toxic power swap that facilitates ongoing failures.

Well then you should start at the epicentre of the issue in Dublin. First all why DCC failed to deliver social housing to meet the requirements of the city between 2014-2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Shebean

You misspelled 'deflected'. You demolished nothing. I made a comment about the SD's not wanting to go in with FF/FG and you used SF to deflect rather than address the comment.

Maybe you should really address if you can muster a comment on the lack of enactment of recommendations from Moriarty before you pressure about a yacht race?

Just an FYI for you:

Flanagan wanted an RIC/Tans state commemoration. Varadkar backed him. After it was announced politicians of all parties including their own denounced it. The families of the RIC/Tans stated they never requested it and have their own ones every year already.

After all the uproar. it was cancelled.

This is more reversing a decision based on political and public outrage than listening to the public.

IMO it was an effort by Flanagan, to normailse the anti-Irish white washing of history by the former Empire affiliated lackeys who pine for the days when only the important people had a say.

Except I was critical of them already 😂

Also, thank you, I find when someone can’t answer the post they go after the poster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,656 ✭✭✭Floppybits

In FG's and their supporters world getting the yacht race is more important that implementing the recommendations of Moriarty.

No need for a FYI, my point was clear and as I said it was the previous government so no relevance. I have no idea why the poster felt the need to mention it

I think everyone knows relations or friends that are adversely affected by the housing market now. It's essentially broken now. All aspects of it. Between high asset prices and extortionate rents, young people haven't a hope of getting on the property ladder. Their disposable income is reducing month by month at this stage.

Don't forget the Mahon recommendations which FG promised to implement. The blinkered are very quiet on that local government and planning reform too.

I needed to clarify what happened for you based on your narrative. Same party, same leader.

If the power swap's defence is to point at 2014-2019 in DCC as being the 'epicenter' of the problem they will be decimated at a GE.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,656 ✭✭✭Floppybits

As one of the elder statesmen in my job I do feel for the younger employees in the job. A lot of them in house shares or stuck at home with the parents and when I hear about the list of do's and don'ts they need to abide when renting. I was speaking to a couple of them and was telling them that I use to have a 2 bed apartment and I rented it out and what the price was that I rented it out for and they were saying they would have bitten my arm off for that. When I told them about the tenants painting the apartment gun metal grey or another tenant painting one of the rooms blue they couldn't believe it and said they couldn't even put a nail in the wall to hang a picture.

The younger generation have really been screwed over by FF and FG, primarily FG, which I think is surprising because when they came into government they seemed more attuned to the younger person or maybe that was just my impression and I suppose it was change from the likes of Cowen, Martin, Ahern, Coughlan and Harney to name a few.

No in fact you don't. You have an opinion, I have another. People are allowed to have different opinions, it seems a few people here think they all need to sing off the same hymn sheet and if they don't then it's bad.

When I started in work I lived in house shares. Everyone I knew for years lived in houses shares while saving to buy a house or moved overseas etc. The wya people go on you would swear nobody lived in a house share. Some of the people I met while living in different houses are still my best mates today.

Some people don't seem to understand minimum wage etc. Yes rent are higher than before, most of that is due to supply but even when supply sorts out the issue the rent will be higher than 10 years ago. Do you know why? well everyone gets paid more than 10 years ago. Some people seem to live in this fantasy World that they think raising the minimum wage will mean everything stays the same price and they will just have more money. It doesn't work that way so hate to burst your bubble.

The story about a nail in wall 😂

It always comes back to XYZ got screwed by the government. The fact is Ireland is one of the best countries in the World to live in. That is because of the decisions made over the years, look at other countries and you can see how terrible it can all turn out. Yes we have problems. So does every country in the World. Look at UK and house prices. Sky high. Look at the cost of living across the developed World, it is all going up.

You mention a list of names, yet all have managed to build Ireland that we have jobs for anyone that wants them. We have a standard of living which is one of the highest. We have a health system, broken but we have one. We have loads of other positives.

Do you honestly think everyone is supposed to forget all of that because you made up a little post about house shares? Ireland wil fix housing, but as soon as we fix that another crisis will come up. Thats the way of the World

• Advertisement

You cannot have different facts.

Well you can obviously but you will have to accept challenges to your 'facts' and bar sticking out your tongue and going nah nah nah, you have failed to convince anyone that your set of 'facts' have anything to do with what happened. More fantasyland stuff.

Advertisement