Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - Part 3 - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭eggy81

The average man on the street sees no difference between ff and fg anymore imho. Most people think all parties/politicians are sides of some multi sided coin actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,979 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,344 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Of course that is a flippant comment, they all fell from the same tree etc. But the desperation of some supporters to now say FF and FG are the same is hilarious. Just reading policies etc they have different opinions on most topics. It's almost as if they want to try and push that agenda forward for the benefit of other parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭timmyntc

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 27,931 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Well, when you actually read it, you realise that compared to the rest of the world, we actually have it quite good in relation to housing here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

"2 sides of the same coin" A perception that only Sinn Fein supporters are pushing and nobody else.....

I've been hearing 'two cheeks of the same arse' for decades. Back when SF were 4 or 5 %.

This obsession with SF is part of the problem. Ignoring the issues facing the public to attack the boogeyman. Easier than actually fixing things.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,135 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

What Martin and FF which include the Republic party as part of their moniker thought they were doing by not going after Flanagan/FG bald headed on the Black and Tans/RIC commemoration is bewildering. Their core vote would have seen them then as the rightful claimants to being the Republican party rather than S,F but in one fell swoop they blew that.

They didn`t expect to do anywhere near as well as they did in the 2016 GE and were expecting to still be in opposition afterwards. They did not expect the total collapse of Labour and were looking to 2020 for their big comeback. They were caught between two stools and choose the option that neither left them in the tent or the ability to piss into it. They would have been as well off then going into coalition with FG because they looked in the eyes of the voters as FG`s coalition partners anyway. Especially after the commemoration fiasco. They just seemed to be enthralled by Martin taking the job as leader in 2011 when nobody else wanted it, and with them doing much better than they expected in 2016 just unquestioningly letting him have a free hand which that really came back to bite them 2020.

Labour just sold their souls for cabinet seats in 2011, and then added to it by allowing Kelly to take over from Hogan on water charges. Like FF and the commemorations what they thought that would achieve is a mystery.

There are a lot of green supporters who are attempting to play down any comparison between this turf war and the water charges war, but I believe that is because they see the turf war as FF`s water charges moment with them being the most likely party to walk over it. If FF do not see it the same then imo they are being very foolish. FG are going to have problems as well if the greens attempt to push through legislation. The ideal solution for both would be to fudge it with a free vote because if push comes to shove and they employ the whips, then not only will both have defections, the government will in all likelihood collapse.

If turf is the only rock the greens polling within the margin of error believe they could die on then they would be sadly mistaken. There is a hillside covered in them where in a GE campaign, as being part of a government, they would have a lot more serious questions to answer than last time out where they slipped in unnoticed mainly due to SF not running enough candidates.

In the world of realpolitik it is in all threes interest to fill this away in a cupboard and forget about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭timmyntc

I have and I cannot find any difference. If you know of any differences between the parties please enlighten us all.

• Advertisement

Emotional scenes in the Dail. I feel somewhat sorry for Ryan. His coalition partners have betrayed him. I don't see it bringing down the government though.

Tell you what as you seem to have the time. Can you tell me what ones are the same? please enlighten us?

The values of both parties seem different

https://www.fiannafail.ie/our-party#our-values

https://www.finegael.ie/the-party/our-values/

This will be Drop kicked to Europe who FFG can blame 🤔 even if EU support a Ban on the sale and burning of Turf (They will of course) it won't wash with those impacted until viable alternatives are in place.

Values are not policies. They are just spoof. I laughed out loud at this one.

Integrity: Fine Gael believes in being truthful and courageous in what we do, and in promoting and upholding both the rights and the responsibilities of people. This means ensuring all of us live up to our responsibilities as well as enjoying our rights as Irish men and women.

So...did the following FG politicians miss the memo? Alan Whiplash Farrell? Dara Murphy? Michelle Mulherin? Hugh McElvaney? Maria Bailey? Fidelma Healy Eames? James Reilly? Phil Hogan? John Perry? Crony Coveney? Leo?

Does Integrity essentially equate to gorging in the trough for FG politicians?

New Politics?

You should contact FG and ask them. I have no idea.

I didn't say values are policies. I clearly posted the values seem different, are you saying they are not?

You're a slippery eel BA 😂

So do you agree that those Fine Gael politicians I listed are not living their values?

It's just a spurge of TD's, I didn't even read the full list. Maria Bailey is no longer even in FG is she? I am sure some of the others are probably gone as well.....

Take a screen shot. That list will be deleted like 'new politics' and O'Duffy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

It is already showing up in recent opinion polls that have questions about second preferences. the FF/FG voters transfer strongly between each party. That trend is an interesting one as the two parties used to be traditional enemies with clearly defined identities. The lack of differentiation is quite dangerous in that the two parties are now competing directly for the same votes rather than competing for votes across the political spectrum.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 15,135 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

The greens would need to be very careful what they drop kick towards Europe. They have a proposed bill to ban all forms of LNG while our energy regulator has stated our present source of gas from the the U.K. is unsecure and is not in compliance with E.U. directives. The E.U. only recognise two energy sources as being transitional, gas and nuclear, and that includes LNG which they are attempting to fill the gap caused by the gas shortage caused by the war in Ukraine using U.S. LNG.

The Irish greens could find themselves having to explain some very sticky questions to the E.U. if the E.U are forced to cast a cold eye over turf as I doubt while doing so they would just ignore our none compliance on gas.

I would have previously hoped the greens were the kind of party to put their ethics and beliefs, good or bad, before pensions, but it doesn't seem so. I'd rather parties succeed or fail based on principle.

It is easier explained, like I have done previously on this thread, that the opposition and the carry on online of supporters is driving other parties to a "anyone but ....." you can fill in the blank's yourself

I think that Martin is a neo-Unionist who doesn't belong in FF. That's why he reacted as a neo-Unionist, much like Flanagan and John Bruton, to the Black and Tans/RIC commemoration. Bruton was even more of an embrarrassment to FG but he wasn't the leader of the party. In 2016, FF mistook a natural bounce-back as a rise in support for FF. The C&S was the stupidest move for FF but totally in keeping with Martin's forlock tugging subservience to FG. Blowing the 2020 GE when the electorate wanted anyone but FG in government was one of the stupidest and most incompetent political moves ever. SF capitalised on Martin's incompetence.

Kelly is unusual in that he's not the typical Labour TD. He's not a YATSE (Yet Another Teacher Seeking Election) and has real world work experience. That's why he tried to do the best job possible when handled the Water Tax issue. As soon as Bacik was elected, it was inevitable that he'd be stabbed in the back. Labour has become the Irish Times dinner party and is completely disconnected from reality.

Some of the Greens are ideologically driven. That's behind their obsession with turf. Ironically, some of the Greens were elected on SF transfers in 2020 and those transfers are unlikely to happen in the upcoming GE. Some in FF realise the damage that the turf war will do to FF's rural support and are wary of Martin's position. Anything that Martin does to appear to be standing up to the Greens is really being done by Martin to save his position until December. It is typical FF short-termist thinking.

Regards...jmcc

Spurge? Do you want to have a go at answering the question? I know the list is long but please persevere.

Hint: None of them.

Why? it seems to be common around here to fire out something and then demand an answer, yet the same is never reciprocate. I have already said I don't support or vote for FG

If you want a review of every TD who has ever been in FG I am sure you have the time to do it, I don't. You can then do a review of the values of the party and make a decision if the TD did or didn't meet them. I have no interest, thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 27,931 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

The turf ban is still coming.

What is truly worrying is the depth of opposition to the government's plans to combat climate change. It is almost as if the opposition don't care about the future of our young people.

• Advertisement

It's surprising after all these years the ban of turf seems to be some sort of a surprise for some parties. Have they been living under a rock for the last 20 years?

Advertisement