Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - Part 3 - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

"woke green rubbish" really says it all. No thanks leave you to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,979 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I've a particular interest, not quite adoption but connected, one of many issues he and his department are supposed to be dealing with so to speak.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

• Registered Users Posts: 9,344 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I think Coveney would be a very poor leader. Another Enda. He has to rehearse what he wants to say unless he is repeating Brexit/Backstop every 10 seconds. His competence has been exposed lately. And he has been caught telling porkies recently. Paschal is the only one left with leadership qualities.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Don't be surprised to see the SocDems doing better. They are a classic "nice but dim" vote recipient. The co-leaders are getting close to retirement but there is a younger "issues" group that is very media friendly. To some extent, they are going to be in direct competition with Labour and, to a much lesser extent, with the Greens. It might take some time for them to develop into a "none of the above" kind of party. The problem with estimating the SocDem support is that it is highly geographically concentrated (much like PBP/Socs/Independents) and the sample size used by most polls is not large enough to accurately estimate the support of smaller parties. It might benefit from the cult of Saint Greta voters who may be looking elsewhere after the realpolitik of the Greens.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement

To give Kenny his due, he was a craftly little fecker and a much better leader than Varadkar. He was also a good campaigner. Coveney has the ability to appear sincere and ordinary. I'm not sure that Donohoe is quite as media friendly but he has ambition and he is a lot smarter than most of the other FGers. If things go completely pear-shaped for FG then the next leader will need to rebuild the party and that means a lot of local campaigning.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

FF/FG? So you don't think housing and health crises being a normality and all the cronyism play a role?

The turf ban will arrive with the next water charges bill I imagine.

Why are you lying about what I posted?

Claiming turf which is it 5% of the population use as a primary is the same as water that 100% use🤣🤦‍♂️

Really this is quite ridiculous now

• Registered Users Posts: 68,879 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Beat me to it. They'll introduce them the day after the state commemoration of the Black and Tans. 😁

• Advertisement

Questions aren't accusations. I see you dodged anyway. Making brash statements and refusing to engage is not great discussion.

I think you are imagining what you are reading again. The turf ban is as likely as water charges.

Kenny was leagues ahead of current FG in both style and delivery. He was actually a decent Taoiseach, much better and more engaged with the grass roots than what replaced him. FG had over 70 seats with Kenny. They’re now less than half that size and will collapse down to about 20 I’d guess next time. The results speak for themselves really

• Registered Users Posts: 15,135 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

O`Callaghan I have no doubt would have made a good Minister for Justice, but as a party leader he has always struck me as someone who would create more divisions than someone that would provide a sense of unity of purpose. Far as I remember he only jut took the last seat in Dublin Bay South, but then again if he was a party leader I would imagine that alone would increase his vote and a Dublin leader of the party would not do FF any harm.As it is their Dublin vote has dropped off dramatically.

Calleary I cannot see being in the hunt Eamon O`Cuiv I actually know somewhat through his interaction with my wife and her job. Nice fella and a very hard constituency worker. Bit of the old style FF republican ethos about him but probably suffers from being compared to his grandfather. I doubt if he was even offered the job he would take it at this stage of his career. He has backed O`Callaghan in the past for the job though. McGrath could make an ok leader. Good on economics, but maybe lacking a bit of that bite that would be needed. I would still keep an eye on Cowan though, as you say, if he is not going to get it, then there is every chance he would be the kingmaker for whoever does.

That hand movement from Martin is really creepy. It`s like a rat at a window.

Ocuiv is too stuck in the past, terrible image in todays social media age (some may argue that’s a good thing but not for him).

cowen all the way for me- relatively young, energetic, finger on the pulse of outside the south Dublin “elite”. Cuts straight to the point- would be a welcome change to have some one with a bit of substance and conviction again

If the Green party had a 5% showing in opinion polls right now they would be over the moon.

Like pretty much everything the devil is in the detail.There are a lot of sitting government T.D.s in constituencies where even a swing against them in the 5%-10% range would cost them their seats. A swing in the higher ranges would be a massacre for either or both FF and FG. If you believe any FF or FG T.D is going to chance losing their seat to save Ryan and the greens embarrassment, then I`m afraid you know very little about politics.

O'Cuiv is too old but he appeals to older voters and a lot of FF's support comes from those demographics. He's also a very able politician. Cowen is a fighter and is probably a lot smarter politically than his brother but his brother is probably the reason why it would be difficult for him to be leader. O'Callaghan is a high-risk choice because FF could find itself in the position of the new party leader losing his seat in the next GE if there's a loss in FF support. McGrath could be a safer choice. FF isn't exactly spoiled for choice when it comes to leadership candidates.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

Haven't heard much of this on RTE or VM, disgraceful from a biased media who we know if it was a certain party, there would be a primetime special and would be on every radio slot. Awaits people ready to defend FG, maybe they're just anti women with their treatment of Kate O'Connell a reminder of this.

Delete

Every discussion it is the same, you lying about the contents of a post, then some accusation to get a reaction with a snide comment thrown in. Round and round we go again, day in day out. If you ever added anything to the conversation I would fall off my seat.

As I said, round and round we go, back to the RIC event.

True. The silence on here tells you once and for all the concerns were never about the 'victims'

• Advertisement

Why don't you just scroll past comments not directed to you? In fact why do you avoid comments and questions addressed directly to you and then get upset at ones not directed at you at all? You breezed right past a question I asked you yesterday.

Weird.

Weird that you repeat the RIC event every few days....

So much for a discussion about politics and current affairs. Just the same thing repeated ad nauseam

Why do you exaggerate all the time? A quick search shows that the last time I mentioned the Black and Tans on this thread was Dec 2020.

Really does you no favours.

Why don't you concentrate on trying to get us to discuss 'certain other parties' rather than the government?

Alternatively you could supply the back up you were asked for yesterday for a statement you made.

Rubbish, the search function doesn't work as you are aware, I only joined in January and this was already discussed at least once since Feb on this thread. It is fired up constantly by you as if it is a new topic.

Like the spreadsheet which you knew nothing about, then you knew about it but never seen, then you seen but it was nothing. Your credibility is shot to pieces

Well back up your contention, show me were I 'mention the RIC every few days'?

The search function works fine BTW I found the spreadsheet you were lying about, using it. The spreadsheet you claimed that was produced by SF to 'hound TD's' and never backed up either.

I made a comment regarding another post. You replied trying to take the piss. Now you're upset because you look foolish.

You'll not quote these lies nor report these snide comments because you made them up.

I see we're all called liars today. Grand.

At least it proves every single person who uses women by pretending to be outraged on their behalf, is full of it and only interested if it suits their agenda.

McGrath would be the safe pair of hands, but I have a feeling FF is fed up with Martin`s "rolling on his back to have his belly tickled" style of leadership and are looking for a more confrontational style leader. O`Callaghan would certainly fit that role and being Dublin based would also raise their profile in Dublin. The problem for O`Callaghan as you say is that he could possibly lose his seat come a GE and that rural T.D.s after this latest debacle on turf might have had enough of Urban leaders. Far as I know O`Cuiv has backed O`Callaghan in the past, so that would probably negate some of that. Cowan is a tough hard edged street fighting type which after Martin could appeal to many of them. His brother would be a drawback but not an insurmountable one imo, and would probably have more grassroots appeal than O`Callaghan, but with FF leadership contest voting, as far as I know, confined to their parliamentary party that would be of no help too him.

As you say, FF are not exactly spoiled for choice, so if it comes to a head to head I could see it coming down to O`Callaghan or Cowan. As you said earlier, Cowan has a bit of that kingmaker about him, and the smart move for both would be Cowan getting behind O`Callaghan and having the pick of whatever posts might be up for grabs in the future, as well as them having a leader that is untainted, even by association to the financial crash. For that to happen though O`Callaghan we need to up his profile. Especially in his own constituency.

Just on your mention earlier of Enda Kenny. I have a friend who is a good friend of Kenny`s and was in his company a few times. Away from politics he was/is likeable and very good and entertaining company, but he was regarded as a a bit of disaster constituency wise. He was a survivor though and probably the luckiest man ever to make Taoiseach. He had the right people behind him when the stars lined up and rode that to the end. Even managing to do what no other FG leader had achieved, elected as Taoiseach for back to back terms. There was much I did not like about that 2011-2016 government, but in all fairness not a lot of it I would lay at Kenny`s door.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,655 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Advertisement