Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - Part 3 - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,194 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

My guess is if we have an election in the next 12months FF are in for a hiding, FG (I despise) will probably come out similar to where they are, SF maybe 48-50seats , FF 15 maybe less , FG 35-40,

I am fairly certain the SDs will double to 12 or even more. They are doing a lot of things extemely well. I also think FG will lose several seats from lack of transfers.
    FF are in big trouble - I foresee a split amongst rank and file.
    It will be an epic election.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

I am fairly certain the SDs will double to 12 or even more. They are doing a lot of things extemely well. I also think FG will lose several seats from lack of transfers.

My issue with SDs is its very Dublin centric , no real presence elsewhere, the usual FG suspects with the exception of the old school publicans (who probably made up for with the Undertaking) made money from the Pandemic, got their workers wages paid for them, they'll keep their pet Blueshirts in seats but I think 40 is their limit and it'll fall as no new voters are recruited, I

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

If SD can behave themselves ahead of an election they will do well, the last local and national election they self sabotaged themselves when they nearly split over the candidate who lied about her past. It looked for a long time like Gannon was doing his own thing separate from leadership.

I also remember allot of the feedback from the candidates that ran for the dail and didnt get in was due to, far to much focus on national social justice politics than current affairs/local issues.

If Murphy and Shorthall don't remember these lesson's it wont be too hard for FF/FG to pick them apart and gain votes. Remember when it comes to the Irish voter, the devil you know talking about issues that matter will win out.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,365 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

My guess is if we have an election in the next 12months FF are in for a hiding,

And that's exactly why we are very unlikely to have an election in that period.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,653 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Yeah not a hope there will be an election in the next year. Though that poll is pretty bad news for FG when they are -4 and SF +4 since the previous poll. As the housing crisis rumbles on and is set to get even worse it could be the beginnings of SF eating into FGs vote, after all FG voters need houses too and the problem is FFG have completely fcuked the housing market and locked thousands of people out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Yeah not a hope there will be an election in the next year. Though that poll is pretty bad news for FG when they are -4 and SF +4 since the previous poll. As the housing crisis rumbles on and is set to get even worse it could be the beginnings of SF eating into FGs vote, after all FG voters need houses too and the problem is FFG have completely fcuked the housing market and locked thousands of people out of it.

FG mindset would be to extend housing debt, generational mortgages rather than try to curb the market, they believe( almost religiously at this stage) that an indebted society is a placid one, no one will rock the boat because they've such a high debt burden, they are terrified if a society that isn't beholden to a bank to retain its lifestyle

• Registered Users Posts: 7,784 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

This one is brutal, Lisa Chambers on the tonight show sympathising with the people of Donegal, Mayo and Clare in relation to Mica and at the same time part of a Govt who wish to discriminate against them in contrast to Dublin properties with Pyrite.

Followed by sympathising with Irish pilots and staff at Stobart who are losing their jobs and which are possibly going to be replaced by an airline which is backed by the Estonian govt whilst her own party have destroyed the airline here.

And now she backs antigen testing but is part of a Govt which fails to implement it.

Too many contradictions with this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,194 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Fann Linn wrote: »
    This one is brutal, Lisa Chambers on the tonight show sympathising with the people of Donegal, Mayo and Clare in relation to Mica and at the same time part of a Govt who wish to discriminate against them in contrast to Dublin properties with Pyrite.

Followed by sympathising with Irish pilots and staff at Stobart who are losing their jobs and which are possibly going to be replaced by an airline which is backed by the Estonian govt whilst her own party have destroyed the airline and here.

And now she backs antigen testing but is part of a Govt which fails to implement it.

Too many contradictions with this one.

Chambers (FF) is a complete dose. An advocate for everything that will get her a few more votes. Populist nonsense.

The Seanad should be abolished to get rid of this kind of politician. We are essentially paying for her to continue general election campaigning from the luxury of the Seanad. FG/Enda made a balls of that referendum on purpose so they could continue benching these ex-TDs. FF would have been delighted to see it retained too. Where is the Seanad reform FG? Yeah, thought so...maybe another report is needed into it. New Politics me arse.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,365 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Chambers (FF) is a complete dose. An advocate for everything that will get her a few more votes. Populist nonsense.

The Seanad should be abolished to get rid of this kind of politician.

Shows the dearth of female talent in the FF ranks that they keep wheeling her out. Next to Norma Foley she's a female Barack Obama...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,784 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

The Seanad should be abolished to get rid of this kind of politician. We are essentially paying for her to continue general election campaigning from the luxury of the Seanad. FG/Enda made a balls of that referendum on purpose so they could continue benching these ex-TDs. FF would have been delighted to see it retained too. Where is the Seanad reform FG? Yeah, thought so...maybe another report is needed into it. New Politics me arse.

In fairness we had the chance to get rid of the Seanad but too many were swayed by the great and the good.

• Advertisement

Will be interesting to see how the Mica controversy grows, the council up in Donegal apparently still using the main contractor responsible and apparently still got some contaminated blocks.

Combine that with the recent video of one of the family members of the company telling an impacted person that they hope their house falls down it could grow more legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,026 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Calhoun wrote: »
    Will be interesting to see how the Mica controversy grows, the council up in Donegal apparently still using the main contractor responsible and apparently still got some contaminated blocks.

Combine that with the recent video of one of the family members of the company telling an impacted person that they hope their house falls down it could grow more legs.

It may well, with the Guards and the various building and planning regulators.

But its a tiny issue politically. Really tiny.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    It may well, with the Guards and the various building and planning regulators.

But its a tiny issue politically. Really tiny.

Of course but it fits a damning narrative for FF/FG on housing, you could literally package it all up and it would be large enough to turn people off them.

Add in all the other portfolios and its not looking good.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,849 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Newstalk just covered this upcoming protest today, interviewing someone from one of the groups looking for redress.

Their line is it's on Government to compensate them because of lax regulations at the time, and when asked why the taxpayer should pick up the bill, the response was they are taxpayers too.

It's nonsense, and yet another example of people wanting "the Government" to fix/pay for their problems.
    Don't get me wrong, I've every sympathy for their situation, but their issue is with their builder or supplier of the blocks not the ordinary taxpayer, many of whom - as the presenter pointed out - will never be able to afford a place themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,849 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

In fairness we had the chance to get rid of the Seanad but too many were swayed by the great and the good.

It's not abolition that's needed, it's meaningful reform. That's what people were looking for when they rejected the chance to get rid of it entirely.

I do believe that we need the Seanad, but a much smaller one. Unfortunately, we weren’t given the option of voting for a reformed/reduced Seanad.

Of course but it fits a damning narrative for FF/FG on housing, you could literally package it all up and it would be large enough to turn people off them.

Add in all the other portfolios and its not looking good.

Why should the taxpayer carry the can for builders cutting corners? Does their insurance not cover this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

Why should the taxpayer carry the can for builders cutting corners? Does their insurance not cover this?

Isn't the state meant to have a role in upholding building standards? The issue is the Irish state has never made sure the relevant standards are being met.

There would be an argument to your thinking if the state went out and prosecuted the builders that werent up to standard but they don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,367 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Isn't the state meant to have a role in upholding building standards? The issue is the Irish state has never made sure the relevant standards are being met.

There would be an argument to your thinking if the state went out and prosecuted the builders that werent up to standard but they don't.

If a builder does work in my house and makes a balls of it I don't expect the taxpayer to foot the bill.

That's what solicitors are for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Floppybits

If a builder does work in my house and makes a balls of it I don't expect the taxpayer to foot the bill.

I think there is difference to having a botch job done on your house to builders building and selling sub-standard houses.

Are these people not covered under the homebond insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,039 ✭✭✭timmyntc

A precedent was set by the state when they agreed 100% redress scheme for pyrite in Dublin homes.

The bigger issue is the scale of defective blocks (not just MICA) across the country - next to no regulation of what goes into these blocks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 989 ✭✭✭ineedeuro

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Newstalk just covered this upcoming protest today, interviewing someone from one of the groups looking for redress.

Their line is it's on Government to compensate them because of lax regulations at the time, and when asked why the taxpayer should pick up the bill, the response was they are taxpayers too.

It's nonsense, and yet another example of people wanting "the Government" to fix/pay for their problems.
    Don't get me wrong, I've every sympathy for their situation, but their issue is with their builder or supplier of the blocks not the ordinary taxpayer, many of whom - as the presenter pointed out - will never be able to afford a place themselves.

Not the government problem. Go back to builders and builder suppliers and get them to fix. Why should the government get involved they are not contractors?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,367 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

ineedeuro wrote: »
    Not the government problem. Go back to builders and builder suppliers and get them to fix. Why should the government get involved they are not contractors?

Because Irish people think the government are there to sort out every issue in their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,039 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Because Irish people think the government are there to sort out every issue in their lives.

So I take it you were just as vocally against pyrite remediation for Dublin homeowners?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

People expect the government to enforce the standards they set it's not complicated.

timmyntc wrote: »
    So I take it you were just as vocally against pyrite remediation for Dublin homeowners?

Pyrite should have gone back to builders. I know an estate in my local area. The builder was a gangster and left the place in a mess. Then pyrite started and the government comes wading in, they are still in it. Now the roofs are falling apart in the place. Next we will have them walking on government to pay for new roofs?

All while the builder walked away and is off building more houses

This is the problem, plus other parties keep telling these people that everything should be handled by the government. It's time the government said no. Let them march and then send them home.

People expect the government to enforce the standards they set it's not complicated.

If the builder doesn't up hold to the standard then the person should go via the legal route and get the builder to resolve. Nothing to do with the government at all.

The standard are set and the builders should adhere to them. If they don't then you have a legal case against them. Not go crying to the government

• Registered Users Posts: 68,776 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

ineedeuro wrote: »

Government regulations and the law have failed these people. They are in the situation through no fault of their own.

More callous power swapism. Ordinary people don't matter over and above vested interests.

• Advertisement

Government regulations and the law have failed these people. They are in the situation through no fault of their own.

More callous power swapism. Ordinary people don't matter over and above vested interests.

Builders have failed these people.

We have a massive legal system in place to help these people. If they trip over a chip in a street they have no problem using it so why not now.

One minute the government is been accused of been in bed with builders, when it is suggested they should push back and let people go after the builders you are saying they are failing the "ordinary people"?
    It is simple, it doesn;t matter what party is in government, they should not be fixing builders problems. That is what the legal system is for. The "ordinary people" paying taxes don't want more billions wasted on resolving housing issues while a builder walks away with profits

Advertisement