Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - Part 3 - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

Local knowledge comes into play here. They probably know the company have no money and were not insured. Frogs san feathers etc etc. And they only have one life to lead which has effectively been destroyed.

I know and if this wasn't deliberate then I'd say fair enough but it was still a deliberate decision by the Directors of that company not to take out insurance and there should be some penalty applied otherwise why should anyway follow the rules.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 989 ✭✭✭ineedeuro

Local knowledge comes into play here. They probably know the company have no money and were not insured. Frogs san feathers etc etc. And they only have one life to lead which has effectively been destroyed.

A house is a house. More to life than a house.

Local knowledge should have come into play when the house was been built and not use the s**t block. Personally if I heard someone say they can chase a wall with a hammer and chissel I ask the builder not to use that block.

Out of interest, how many builders in the area are affected with the block?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

ineedeuro wrote: »
    Seemingly it is not up to the company to follow the regulations or guidelines anymore. They can do whatever they want and it's the government fault.

I can see a few problems

It's upto statutory bodies to enforce the regs and so ensure companies comply.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,018 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The company should be prosecuted and held accountable. The degree to which depending on if this was a knowing fraud or accidental and the company not having insurance shouldn't be a reason not to prosecute them.

Otherwise why would any company follow regulations in the future or bother with insurance - allowing companies away with this is basically saying sure its grand the Government can fix it up and I've already made my profit.

Note: I'm not saying there shouldn't be some government support for this but I'm saying the companies / providers involved also need to be held accountable.

...by the regulator. And the regulator should face sanction if negligent too.

Ordinary people who have no fault here, need to get on with their lives as quickly as possible. They succeeded in getting the government to take liability which is were the liability lies ultimately in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

...by the regulator. And the regulator should face sanction if negligent too.

Ordinary people who have no fault here, need to get on with their lives as quickly as possible. They succeeded in getting the government to take liability which is were the liability lies ultimately in my book.

Accountability of one is independent of the other. Both should be accountable is my point.

See my earlier note as well: I'm not saying there shouldn't be some government support for this but I'm saying the companies / providers involved also need to be held accountable as well.

• Advertisement

A house is a house. More to life than a house.

Local knowledge should have come into play when the house was been built and not use the s**t block. Personally if I heard someone say they can chase a wall with a hammer and chissel I ask the builder not to use that block.

Out of interest, how many builders in the area are affected with the block?

FFS...the arrogance again to tell people what is important to them. :rolleyes:

The reasons there are food safety and construction regulations are to protect the consumer who has no way of knowing if food or materials are defective unless it is rancid or visibly defective.

You look sillier and sillier here, not to mention desperate.

Accountability of one isn't independent of the other. Both should be accountable is my point.

See my earlier note as well: I'm not saying there shouldn't be some government support for this but I'm saying the companies / providers involved also need to be held accountable as well.

Totally agree.

But the homeowners are not at fault here, following a company for years to maybe get only a win and no recompense (we know there was no insurance, etc) would be pointless. They took the path straight to the government who accepted the liability.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Shebean

Badly fukt wrote: »
    The thing about companies is that their liability is limited and they can be folded in the morning along with their liability!

And here was me led to believe business people were the heart and life blood of the country and workers just leeching good for nothings lucky to have a job. Live and learn.

FFS...the arrogance again to tell people what is important to them. :rolleyes:

As I said a house is a house. A lot more to life than a house. Family, friends etc are more important to me.
    I suppose everyone is different but I would never class a life as destroyed because of a stack of blocks.

As I said a house is a house. A lot more to life than a house. Family, friends etc are more important to me.
    I suppose everyone is different but I would never class a life as destroyed because of a stack of blocks.

Sure, try that one on me after your life savings and investment in yourself and your children threatens to fall on you through no fault of your own.

I don't believe you for a second, I have to say.

But well done on the arrogance and lack of empathy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Mr & Mrs in Inishowen will be still sitting in a house with the walls falling down waiting for recourse, if they had to do the proper thing in the first place and go after the company a lot of them would already be fixed up.

Didn't you watch Primetime last night, 5 years of solicitors letters to be told Cassidy wasn't insured

Didn't you watch Primetime last night, 5 years of solicitors letters to be told Cassidy wasn't insured

Why were they trying for 5 years? Sure it's only a house! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Why were they trying for 5 years? Sure it's only a house! :)

Seemed to be a lot of stalling and ffing about, they'd Cassidy himself on site 3 times but no luck, they then started legal proceedings in 2011 but it was 2016 before they were told you can't take knickers off a bare arse

Leo wants NI back, FF are working away with the Martin's Unity Unit...flip sake, the Greens will be invading Rockall if this trend to SF continues. :)

https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2021/0616/1228558-poll-shows-rise-in-support-for-sinn-fein-fianna-fail/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Leo wants NI back, FF are working away with the Martin's Unity Unit...flip sake, the Greens will be invading Rockall if this trend to SF continues. :)

https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2021/0616/1228558-poll-shows-rise-in-support-for-sinn-fein-fianna-fail/

SF/FF government next?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,964 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Government parties up to 53% in the polls, satisfaction with the government’s handling of the pandemic on 70%, don’t think the government will be bothered by that poll.

Social democrats looking old, Labour and PBP looking toast, and independents ineffective. Those opposition parties need to put some space between themselves and Sinn Fein who are swallowing their vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

blanch152 wrote: »
    Government parties up to 53% in the polls, satisfaction with the government’s handling of the pandemic on 70%, don’t think the government will be bothered by that poll.

Social democrats looking old, Labour and PBP looking toast, and independents ineffective. Those opposition parties need to put some space between themselves and Sinn Fein who are swallowing their vote.

Its crazy that SF are in ways seen as a left leaning party, they have some left leaning policies but i wouldn't say they are true left.

The problem the rest have is they are to fractured and broken out. FF & FG are by no means out for the count because i find allot of times the opposition lacks a clear and concise message or is focused on politics that the regular voter isn't as interested in. Hence people flocking to SF.

:) Sure :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,596 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

SF/FF government next?

On them figures If FF and FG transfered to each other they would be within a hairbreath of forming a government by themselves. The next election will be interesting. If SF vote holds and they put up the right amount of canditates they will wipe out the other left parties except Labour and reduce the number of independents to 10 ish. The figures would look like this. It would really be dependent on a FF/FG voting pact. FG vote transfered to FF last time after FG and likeminded IND were excluded. FF transferred to IND then SF and onto other parties but not to FG.

SF 50-60 seats
    FG 45-50
    FF34-38
    Greens 4-7
    Lab 2-4
    Ind 8-12
    Aontu 1

On them figures FFG would have 80-85 seats, It would have multiple options to form a government if not by itself with Greens or Labor, maybe even a few like minded Independents. The Healy/Rea's might be in business again

Slava Ukrainii

Yet if you followed these threads you would think nobody in Ireland voted for another party except for Sinn Fein.

• Advertisement

That's interesting. FG decline in popularity SF rise and it looks like we are always going to have a FG/FF government as a result. Seems to be what those making the best out of this poll are saying.

Why don't they just officially merge and be done with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,440 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

SF 50-60 seats
    FG 45-50
    FF34-38
    Greens 4-7
    Lab 2-4
    Ind 8-12
    Aontu 1

On them figures FFG would have 80-85 seats, It would have multiple options to form a government if not by itself with Greens or Labor, maybe even a few like minded Independents. The Healy/Rea's might be in business again

31% of 160 seats is 49.6, although I know it's not as simple as that.

I'm curious - in what constituencies do you think SF will get two seats?

There are 39 constituencies.

Do you expect an SF TD in all of them? Plus a second TD in 11 more?

That's interesting. FG decline in popularity SF rise and it looks like we are always going to have a FG/FF government as a result. Seems to be what those making the best out of this poll are saying.

Polls vary up and down. The only poll that is important is the one on election day. There is a good chance that this government will see out its term.

You need to hit nearly 50% in the Irish PR system to have a majority. The armalite do e not give you 15-20% extra to form a government.

As I said it was depending on FF and FG transfering to each other. If they do and the figure above were election day results on 47% they be very close to an overall majority. If SF squeezed the left bit and Independents it would give a bonus to SF but also to a FF/FG voting pact. You see a lot of Ind struggle if FF and FG transferred to each other rather than Ind such as
    Thomas Pringle Donegal, Richard O'Donoghue Limerick, Car Nolan Offaly, Verona Murphy Wexford, Michael McNamara Clare, Micheal Collins Cork, Noel Grelish, Connolly and Canny in Galway Peter Fitzpatrickk Louth, Micheal Fitzmaurice Roscommon, Cathal Berry in Kdare.

If they got squeezed from the left and right even Mattie McGrath, Denis Naughton and Michael Lowry might struggle

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 16,532 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

It would really be dependent on a FF/FG voting pact.

I don't see why this would happen. All the signs are FF will want to leave their options open.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

It would appear they have merged the way Blanch is calling them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,656 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I don't see why this would happen. All the signs are FF will want to leave their options open.

I would say that it would depend on who the leader of FF is at that time? If it is Martin then you can see him agreeing to a voting pact with FG, if it is a new leader they may well want to keep their options open.

Geuze wrote: »
    31% of 160 seats is 49.6, although I know it's not as simple as that.

I'm curious - in what constituencies do you think SF will get two seats?

There are 39 constituencies.

Do you expect an SF TD in all of them? Plus a second TD in 11 more?

You get a bonus when you start going above 20%. I think in a lot of urban area if SF hits 30% and it stands the right amount of candidates it will squeeze out other left parties.

Just look at all those constituencies where the last or second last seat was a S/PBP, an SD or Green party member they will mop these seats up. 30% if spread evenly over the country see you with a seat in every constituency and virtually two in every five seater. However SF will poll stronger along the border and in Urban area. As it squeezes the left it not just picks up there transfers to secure those bonus seats.

Slava Ukrainii

Polls vary up and down. The only poll that is important is the one on election day. There is a good chance that this government will see out its term.

You need to hit nearly 50% in the Irish PR system to have a majority. The armalite do e not give you 15-20% extra to form a government.

As I said it was depending on FF and FG transfering to each other. If they do and the figure above were election day results on 47% they be very close to an overall majority. If SF squeezed the left bit and Independents it would give a bonus to SF but also to a FF/FG voting pact. You see a lot of Ind struggle if FF and FG transferred to each other rather than Ind such as
    Thomas Pringle Donegal, Richard O'Donoghue Limerick, Car Nolan Offaly, Verona Murphy Wexford, Michael McNamara Clare, Micheal Collins Cork, Noel Grelish, Connolly and Canny in Galway Peter Fitzpatrickk Louth, Micheal Fitzmaurice Roscommon, Cathal Berry in Kdare.

If they got squeezed from the left and right even Mattie McGrath, Denis Naughton and Michael Lowry might struggle

Apart from the usual snideness you have done it again.

I.E. Countered a poll of 'individual' political parties by coalescing/merging FF/FG.

To continue your 'military' theme, seems to me FF and FG, having been forced to coalesce, are now in a bunker, fighting a rearguard action. Hence the attack dogs getting more rabid and careless, biting themselves more often than not. What happens when they turn on one another to survive will be fascinating.

There is no leaving there options open especially if the government survives the full term. Unless this government falls due to a FG/FF fracture then FF have no choice but to align itself with a government voting pact. They will not receive votes from the left or form SF if this goes full term.
    FF got more seats last election from FG transfers than any other section of the vote.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

There is no leaving there options open especially if the government survives the full term. Unless this government falls due to a FG/FF fracture then FF have no choice but to align itself with a government voting pact. They will not receive votes from the left or form SF if this goes full term.
    FF got more seats last election from FG transfers than any other section of the vote.

FG could harm their chances massively by engaging in a pre-election vote pact. The resistance to change/cling to power is going to wear very thin with the electorate if we still have the perennial crisis in key areas of government.

Advertisement