Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - Part 3 - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,911 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Go look at the list of legislation from O'Brien's department. Legislation changes the country more than anything else. Pretty much Civics 1.01.

Eh, the division of power between local government and central government. Again, pretty much basic stuff for understanding how government works.

I explained this to posters a couple of years ago that the real failure when it came to housing were in the local authorities who had the bulk of the responsibility. In particular, the Dublin local authorities during the 2013-2019 period were a complete failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Irelandsnumberone

Is that FGs plan for the next 2 years, blame Sinn Fein for the housing crisis 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

How did the minister create a housing plan then if they don't deal with housing. Sure it's down to each individual council then to produce and run their own with no overall Government strategy.

The problem is that the local councils didn't do their job, particularly in Dublin. A huge number of projects were held up in Dublin City Council and in some cases the council actually objected to ABP on developments. Crazy stuff, which prevented people being housed.

As for FG's plan, how would I know what that is? I am just trying to educate a few poor souls about the division of power and responsibility.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Isn't O'Brien also the head of local government?

Is that the sam ABP that's in hot water currently. So you admit the minister does deal with housing were getting somewhere.

Oh dear, oh dear. Nope, the elected councillors are in charge of their own area of local government.

Really, do we have to explain how local government works?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

He is the Minister for Housing, Local Government and Heritage of Ireland since 2020.

And here was me thinking he was in charge of the space program. As apparently the minister does not deal with housing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

FG brought FF, the opposition, the party who FG lambasted to get themselves in, to a back scratching agreement giving FF, the opposition, power. A reason to be relevant in regard to running the country. This made FF, the opposition, more relevant. FG brought FF back into having sway, being soundbite worthy. Raised their profile, the opposition. FG chose to do that after telling us FF were the absolute worst.

Its been the plan for the last ten. SF having less seats than FF/FG combined in DCC, for less than 5 years, when FF/FG were in partnership, is why housing has worsened year on year for the last decade...sure...the other has bells on. I wonder why its gotten worse since? Head scratcher....

The Minister is responsible for, among other matters:

housing;

local authorities and related services;

Local government bodies now have responsibility for such matters as planning, local roads, sanitation, and libraries. The Minister for Housing, Planning and Local Government has responsibility for local authorities and related services

Post edited by Brucie Bonus on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

No need. I was referencing his role in relation to the question. i.e. he could have answered the question in his capacity as minister for local government, not just housing.

I was forced to rush the post at my end so was only able to post the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

You do recall what year Ireland joined the EU Blanch 🤔

1st of January 1973, journey commenced long before that

You may Recall what was also going on in 1973 elsewhere 🤔

Do you know how many TD"S the party you despise so much had in 1973 ( it's a very easy number) 🤔

Can you Guess what Country actually supported Irelands membership, indeed are you aware Ireland had to fight hard to be accepted with initial opposition 🤔

Gosh you've quite an impression of Ireland back then

Can you guess which Parties were and had been in power for decades over seeing such a ghastly backward place 🤔

Do you know what Irelands main economic activity consisted of, I'll give you a hint (Moo Moo)

And finally you appear to think EU membership, Treaties, Legislation was and were opposed at every turn by one party, not only is that utter nonsense, it's so out there a response would be futile.

Not only have various member States been unhappy from time to time,, but all parties throughout the EU, MEP"s and my word even ordinary citizens of all political persuasion.

I clearly stated Ireland benifited from membership and you turn this into another diatribe about a party you obsess about, it's just Bizzare. You asked a fair question, I responded (although I don't have a PhD in politics or economics) and you come back with bizzare rant and you have the neck to say others avoid debate 😳

I'll say no more on the topic.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Clearly the problem is people "expecting" to just have a home. How dare they.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,329 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Very good summary. FG became worse than FF and as you said somehow made FF relevant again. Hard to fathom.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Anyone wanting anything done before October called out as populism by the Govt

Also Govt

Laughable nonsense!

The fish rots from the head. It was the FF government who stopped building social housing and affordable housing even before the crash in 2007. Year on year they reduced the stock of social houses and abdicated responsibility to the private sector to meet all housing needs. FG continued that policy and made it even worse. I will write more on this later and outline all the FFG mistakes.

Homeless has hit 10,000 again. Worst in 3 years.

So to clarify, housing is in a worsening crisis for over a decade.

But the minister for housing, local authorities and heritage has a mystery hands off role in housing at local level, (isn't everywhere in Ireland under some local authority?).

Also....but SF had the most seats of any party on DCC for under 5 years!, (even though FF/FG combined had more, were in government and the housing minister was FG).

Also.. but we did well out of joining the EU and SF weren't always supportive of that...

My jaysus.

Running out of ground to go to. We know planning is rigged, we know there's money, we know there's the workers. There simply isn't the will.

Well Darragh O'Brien said the vacant property tax will not be introduced until Budget 2023. That's yet more evidence that the government cannot and will not solve the housing disaster that they created. FF and FG combined. Rest assured - they love that house prices are returning to Celtic Tiger levels.

• Advertisement

If darragh o brien is still minister for housing after the reshuffle, we may give up on anything happening until after the next GE

Who else would take it? The clowns in cabinet only worry about keeping their seat. I imagine some of them have sights elsewhere after GE.Next and are actively working those opportunities, including O'Brien.

Post edited by Cluedo Monopoly on

Removing him would be tantamount to admitting failure and besides he's essentially doing exactly what FFG want him to do.

He'll sadly being going nowhere unless of course he's promoted for all his efforts and Party Strokes, so to speak 😉

Some tit bits from FFG parliamentary party, the usual grandstanding one comes to expect at these gatherings but this stood out for me, not news as such but it keeps coming up.

Article

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It was actually copying the UK way back as early as the late 1970s, where home ownership for all became a theme. They never replaced stock in any great numbers and over time councils lost whatever ability they might have had to build. Around about that time the use of private dwellings emerged and has continued to this day, in the main as we had the stock to be able to do that.

Our present issue is 2007-related but more to specifically to that decade from 2010-2019 where very little was built. Even when the money was made available councils proved to be quite inept and only delivered tiny numbers. COVID stopping construction really didn't help either; the absolute worst of our COVID decisions IMO. Nor does councillors and TDs of all parties objecting to planning permission at local level. 27,000 are projected in 2023 and 32,000 in 2024, which is still a little low to match targets but in a far better ball park.

Gobbledy gook confused nonsense.

Some parties have opposed every single EU referendum, not just the first one, that is a fact. One party has only become a little pro-EU since the British left in an obvious example of its post-colonial mentality.

Can you guess which parties have overseen Ireland's rise from a backwater, poorer than most to richer than most?

Now, for the final word on all of this, have a read of this paper:

It is a really good analysis, and though it downgrades Ireland's performance by excluding the MNC influence, it still finds that

"On this measure, then, Ireland falls behind not only the UK but all six of the original founder members of the EEC, along with Austria and the three Nordic member states."

"At this level, Ireland’s average per capita consumption ranks 21 in the world (ignoring countries of less than a million population). Ahead of Ireland are the EU countries mentioned above as well as Norway and Switzerland, along with four “Anglo” countries (US, Canada, Australia and New Zealand), and four jurisdictions in East Asia (Hong Kong, Japan, Singapore and Taiwan)"

21st in the world, for a peripheral island on the edge of Europe, that is a really good performance. The question for the moaners and whingers is how to improve this?

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭shirrup

Some more serious allegations being made about ABP today. Intel the time. Wonder how many legal proceedings will inevitably result from all this skulduggery?

Over a decade of a housing crisis and getting worse. Same for homelessness. Buying a home is becoming out of reach for more and more people. Health is kicked down the road each year as the scandal of hospital trolleys remains and slaintecare is forgotten.

The question for the moaners and whingers is how to improve this?

The best you and Mark can offer is our standing on various lists like it means none of the above is happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭shirrup

"21st richest country in the world" yet our health system is in absolute tatters, and the same with housing.

I'm sure there's lots of folks on the street, or on trolleys on hospitals, or worse still, realising their initial diagnosis has deteriorated to terminal levels because a lack of, or delay in care, that would appreciate being told, "cheer up and stop whinging and moaning, sure you're extremely privileged to be homeless or extremely ill in the 21st richest country in the world".

FFG "wealth over health" attitude completely personified there. That's why the country's in the state it's in.

Post edited by shirrup on

• Advertisement

You don't seem to get it. All Western countries are struggling with similar issues. You also don't seem to understand that it is largely a Dublin problem. There are some undeniable facts that people are not willing to face up to:

(1) Our current low-rise dispersed approach to housing is not sustainable (yet every single populist councillor and residents group objects to high-rise in their locality)

(2) Dublin is now a large city, and it is no longer possible for people to find a place in the locality they grew up in (this is true of all major cities, yet we still get opposition politicians wittering on as if it is possible)

(3) Our pattern or rural development is mad. No other words for it, ribbon development, one-off housing, rejecting a village and town-based approach. This is a cultural phenonemon and reflected in the significant number of gombeen rural independent TDs that we elect.

(4) In Dublin, the City Council has been a complete disgrace, particularly in the period from 2013-2019, refusing permission, objecting to housing, dithering on projects, it is actually quite amazing the things that could have been done during that period, if we had a competent set of councillors.

(5) The cities of Limerick, Cork, Galway and Waterford represent the real future opportunity. Don't make the same mistake as Dublin and build realms and realms of 3-bed semis causing more sustainability issues. Our housing policy and Project Ireland 2040 as published by the government state all of this, but it is the local councils who must be causing the civil servants and Ministers to tear their hair out.

To sum up, all the right policies are there at national level, it is in the councils that the real problems and delays are.

Advertisement