Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - Part 3 - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Irelandsnumberone

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Just thought I'd be helpful for future reference 😉

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,911 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Well, now have a look at this

4-bed in the centre of Tralee for €150k, well affordable to a single teacher for example.

Three-bed detached in the middle of Longford for €150k.

PortLaoise ditto.

Now, if you want your 3,000 sq. ft. on top of a mountain with a view, you will have to pay for it, but in general, outside of the major cities, houses are still affordable.

Louth, Kildare, Meath and any of our major citys but it's just a Dublin problem

• Registered Users Posts: 14,638 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

This was not a question about human rights records

Wasnt the question about how we came from nothing 50 years ago to having something? Of course, human rights matter, but only people like yourselves who want to paint Ireland and the government in the worst possible way think it doesnt.

Sure, I hear they have no homelessness in North Korea.... must be a FANTASTIC place to live and raise kids... ;)

• Advertisement

And finally you appear to think EU membership, Treaties, Legislation was and were opposed at every turn by one party, not only is that utter nonsense, it's so out there a response would be futile.

Assuming you are talking about the main opposition party, but yes, that is actually a fact. They have NEVER sought a yes vote in any EU/EEC referendum. That is just a fact.

Housing affordability is an issue in some places in Ireland but, every single country in the OECD struggles with aspects of this. Those that we want to be like the Kiwis, Swedes or Canadians have it much much worse.... yet the bregurders and moaners think the government are doing it on purpose or something.

Ireland is well down the pecking order globally when it comes to housing bubble risks.

Just out of curiosity how much do you think any of these properties will actually sell for 🤔 asking price and achieved price, 2 very different things, how about the populous living within the geographical area, actually seeking to buy in these locations, perhaps you think there's no local interest 🤔

You've also conveniently listed, probably the the cheapest house in tralee, there's a number of reasons it's so cheap, notwithstanding what it will cost to renovate and possibly improve BER rating.

Perhaps you think folks in Dublin, Kildare, Mayo, Donegal, wicklow etc should up sticks and move to Tralee 🤔

Affordable housing availability is Nationwide in case you've missed this fact but more importantly how about availability of Social Housing.

Have a lie in Marko, good for you and whilst not wishing to repeat myself (yet again), the question had nothing to do with human rights, you've spent 24 hours trying to convince yourself it was, it wasn't and I'm not getting into a discussion which seeks to deflect (yet again)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

That estate in Longford is very rough. If you gave me the house for free I wouldn't live there

• Advertisement

Yawn, and yet again the Party that you and others obsess about had literally no presence in the Dail on 1973

I was infact referring to another attempt by a poster, clearly not ofay with not just EU history but infact the Irish republics political history.

You really need to keep up Marko.

Any, I'm in no mood to feed ymyour deflection tactics today 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Are the government aware that all they have to do is show everyone a single statistics chart, every single time, and it will explain everything away? 🙄

Unless of course it doesn't, and especially wouldn't the way you are using them. There is so much more to take into account there that it is unfathomable that you think producing that chart explains anything.

Rent, subsidised rent, outright owners, owners with mortgage, multiple occupancy owners, and many many other thngs that contribute to house prices increasing, This incessant need to compare us to others is acceptable when it is used correctly, but when you post a screengrab of a single stats chart and use it as some sort of lame attempt to prove a point, it's not.

Roads, feeder services, business locations, employment in areas etc.. all need to be taken into account. New Zealand are currently still trying to get people to move to the other end of the country with the promise of employment and free housing among other things. The majority of locations in Ireland are very low on the list of things above (and more) and are the reason that there are so many cramming into the capital, traffic is crazy in Galway and Cork and getting worse. That chart on it's own is useless to be used to explain anything.

As for "Housing affordability is an issue in some places in Ireland" - that is pure nonsense. Housing affordability is an issue everywhere if the employment to pay for the house isn't there. Where are they supposed to work? How long would they be travelling a week?

Where are these modular homes going to be placed, will they be near mass employment areas?

I'm fine thanks, but I am just pointing out that Human Rights do matter to a counties well being. You seem to be OK with tyrants and dictators running a country.

I hear North Korea is lovely in Autumn!

I wasn't talking about their presence in the Dail, I was talking about their 100% record in opposing EEC membership and all EU integration and treaties.

This is just a fact. Accept it as a fact and move on.

Not in the context of either this thread or the question asked.

Enough already 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

I thought the UN had something to say about Irelands Human rights record. Or am I misremembering.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

We have a crisis over a decade old. The policies make it worse, not better. Neither, Brexit, Ukraine, covid nor monkey pox carries all the blame.

Local level plays its part for sure. Are you suggesting if people stopped objecting we'd be doing okay or moving out of crisis? You often make it sound like people are only objecting to make government look bad by prolonging the crisis. Should we welcome 25 year leases with no option to buy as social housing or try block it? There are numerous bad deals excused by 'but we need housing now' like we haven't been in crisis for a decade already.

Numerous housing experts at home and abroad are critical of the government's housing plan.

Its a fact FF stopped building and started selling off. FG have not moved other than to use the private sector. If their policies worked they wouldn't be making matters worse, which they are.

And people shouldn't have to move to unfamiliar parts of the country to afford a roof far from their work, or family for that matter.

That chart on it's own is useless to be used to explain anything.

Of course its useless to you, and those who just want to moan and crip about everything the Irish Government does.

So, along with the UN HDI, you don't take any input into charts created by Bloomberg that shows Ireland is by no means the worst in the class when it comes to housing.

Well, you are consistent I guess.

It would be easier if you respond with one post, makes it easier to remind you once rather than Twice your clutching at straws to discuss your favourite party, I'm really not interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

It's useless to everyone. A statistic chart seems to be your go to simple view of anything, when there is a lot more to anything. I could randomly pick a stat chart over at the CSO website and come back and post it here and say it proves something. The fact of the matter is, unless you are very simple minded, it doesn't prove anything. Especially not on it's own. They are useful in their own right of course, but are at their most effective when used correctly, which you seem blatantly incapable of doing.

Everyone seems to be unanimous in agreeing that the FG government of the last decade did nothing to help housing in Ireland. O'Brien was saying the other day that this is the most amount to have gone in to the housing in over a decade. Posters on here no matter what side of any discussion they are on, have agreed that since 2011ish nothing has really been done to help housing and the homeless crisis has just got worse under them. Statistics to prove all of that too... alongside proof to show it.

That chart shows nothing else, and there is nothing accompanying it. - Useless for the most part, and definitely for the relevant.

• Advertisement

Still banging on about the charts.

We have a housing crisis and the government are making it worse at our expense.

Some chart saying we are doing great in areas means **** all for housing etc.

IMO the government make housing policy to enrich their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Yea, at this stage anyone that believes this rubbish from FG must have some kind of punishment complex.

Taxes will be going one way, that’s up. Just like the tax take on fuel, property taxes and USC on the medical card eligibility thresholds. Virtue signalling comes with a hefty price tag

I'd be much more happy to pay taxes if we got value for money.

Trade unions have warned that they will not return to the negotiating table until an improved offer is tabled by the Government.

They have also warned that the increased cost of living is putting members under substantial pressure, and said this must be reflected in any future talks.

Kevin Callinan, chairman of the Irish Congress of Trade Union’s (Ictu) public services committee (PSC), said that unions expected an improved offer from the Government following Tánaiste Leo Varadkar’s comments on RTÉ’s Morning Ireland programme a week ago, but no such offer has been forthcoming.

Mr Varadkar had said that the Government was willing to re-engage in the collapsed talks, brokered by Workplace Relations Commission (WRC), and that they were prepared to make a “further offer”.

Mr Callinan said that, despite Mr Varadkar’s comments, he has received no indication that the Department of Public Expenditure and Reform was, in fact, willing to make an improved offer.

Leo causing more problems with his kite flying basically

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

He's playing to the gallery. 3bn already gone from next budget too.

It's useless to everyone.

Do you speak for everyone? No, no you don't. Some people find it useful, in fact many people find it useful.

You just hate people giving context to Ireland, don't you. You want Ireland to exist in a vacuum so you can soapbox about every little thing that is wrong with the place.

Even when charts show that Ireland is nowhere near the worst when it comes to a housing bubble and its price to value ratio's which makes housing in some places quite affordable?

Discussion on polls of late on the late Debate 😏

• Advertisement

Leo's favourite ex TD , Kate O Comnell making an appearance on the late Debate

Advertisement