Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - Part 3 - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,378 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

timmyntc wrote: »
    Blanch we need to talk..

This is an intervention

:D It's much too late...

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

ineedeuro wrote: »
    The section in bold is not correct as this is common across the World. Same in UK but I think they have a little extra tax?

Based on the posting here it seems people are happy to blindly do the exact same thing they done in 2000's and when it all comes tumbling down blame the political party in power. At this stage that will probably be Sinn Fein so that will be fun

Other countries across the world have brought in laws to control what they can and cannot purchase it's one part of the solution not all of it

Is doing the same thing we have always done not voting for FF and FG?

I mean I'm not sure I'm getting where your coming from? FG has had 10 years and FF admittedly having less time showed their hand when they didn't implement the bill they pulled together in opposition.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 989 ✭✭✭ineedeuro

Calhoun wrote: »
    Other countries across the world have brought in laws to control what they can and cannot purchase it's one part of the solution not all of it

Is doing the same thing we have always done not voting for FF and FG?

I mean I'm not sure I'm getting where your coming from? FG has had 10 years and FF admittedly having less time showed their hand when they didn't implement the bill they pulled together in opposition.

This is a thread about the current government, not about who people will vote for in the next election. Sorry well I thought it was?

The government is doing what the population want, at the moment they are down in the polls and people are crying over housing so of course they are going to say they will build more houses because that keeps the population happy. I am just having a discussion on a forum to say to me this is idiotic. Of course the government might think this plan is absolutely stupid but they would never have the conviction to do it because they want to stay in power.

If the opposition was any good you would think some of them would come up with an alternative to "build more houses" but it seems they are no better. It seems we are doomed to mediocrity in politics.

This is a thread about the current government, not about who people will vote for in the next election.

The government is doing what the population want, at the moment they are down in the polls and people are crying over housing so of course they are going to say they will build more houses because that keeps the population happy. I am just having a discussion on a forum to say to me this is idiotic. Of course the government might think this plan is absolutely stupid but they would never have the conviction to do it because they want to stay in power.

If the opposition was any good you would think some of them would come up with an alternative to "build more houses" but it seems they are no better. It seems we are doomed to mediocrity in politics.

Exactly and we are talking about the current governments approach to future elections based on opinion polls and potential issues that will hamper them and why.

Are they though? they have made quite a few political faux pas the past year or so, not to mention the performance from Darragh with his most reason housing bill.

Honestly i am not sure what your trying to say, its like your being as equally as supportive of the government as you are critical of them.

The simplest answer is more houses do need to be built, there are no silver bullets here. A more nuanced answer is to stop relying solely on private investors to build our housing infrastructure, combined with tax measures on vacant homes ect.

However any opposition looking at it as long as they are not FF/FG will be given a pass for a while until they have a hang on it the existing two parties though will be treated harsher because they have been at it for so long.

Exactly and we are talking about the current governments approach to future elections based on opinion polls and potential issues that will hamper them and why.

Are they though? they have made quite a few political faux pas the past year or so, not to mention the performance from Darragh with his most reason housing bill.

Honestly i am not sure what your trying to say, its like your being as equally as supportive of the government as you are critical of them.

The simplest answer is more houses do need to be built, there are no silver bullets here. A more nuanced answer is to stop relying solely on private investors to build our housing infrastructure, combined with tax measures on vacant homes ect.

However any opposition looking at it as long as they are not FF/FG will be given a pass for a while until they have a hang on it the existing two parties though will be treated harsher because they have been at it for so long.

Election is what 4 or 5 years away? Not sure if an opinion poll now is really relevant

I don’t “support” the government. It’s what we have at the moment.

The original point was that housing is a huge critical issue that will make it break the next election. I don’t think it will be.

The next point was we should just build loads of houses, personally I think this is an idiotic approach as we should be building apartments and not houses. Plus we should be moving to a full rental model in cities like Dublin. If you want to buy a house move out to the countryside

It’s a discussion, do I expect the government to implement? No I don’t. They will follow the popular short term build more houses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

People all over the World rent their entire life, are you saying people in other European countries are thrown out at 65 because they can't afford rent?

Yes rent is crazy now, but instead of concentrating on building houses to "fix" the problem. We should be fixing the long term rental issue and not building houses to buy at all.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thelocal.de/20140519/elderly-germans-stay-on-in-jobs/%3famp

I mean Germany as it was used as an example have lots of their elderly continuing to work. I know from having visited there, you tend to see elderly working in supermarkets or collecting bottles in the street to get the money from returning them.

That's not exactly something we should be aspiring too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Shebean

titan18 wrote: »
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thelocal.de/20140519/elderly-germans-stay-on-in-jobs/%3famp

I mean Germany as it was used as an example have lots of their elderly continuing to work. I know from having visited there, you tend to see elderly working in supermarkets or collecting bottles in the street to get the money from returning them.

That's not exactly something we should be aspiring too.

It's were Ireland is headed.

It's the height of ignorance to expect people to be okay with never owning a home, especially considering the ones making it that way likely own a number of properties. It's like when Haughey told us to roll up our sleeves or FF/FG told us we all went mad/partied. The working stiff is the gombeen should be happy with scraps.

Election is what 4 or 5 years away? Not sure if an opinion poll now is really relevant

I don’t “support” the government. It’s what we have at the moment.

The original point was that housing is a huge critical issue that will make it break the next election. I don’t think it will be.

The next point was we should just build loads of houses, personally I think this is an idiotic approach as we should be building apartments and not houses. Plus we should be moving to a full rental model in cities like Dublin. If you want to buy a house move out to the countryside

It’s a discussion, do I expect the government to implement? No I don’t. They will follow the popular short term build more houses

It is a discussion thread? people are discussing stuff related to the government. Do me a favor though if you have an issue you can report the post and im sure a mod will get it back on track, i am happy to be corrected if we are going off track.

I don't mind who you support but i just wasn't clear on what you were saying, so thank you for clarifying further.

Indeed i don't think it will be housing that will define the next election it will be one of many issues, next ticking time bomb for them is special needs support which has gone down the toilet with covid.

I wouldn't disagree with the your statement on apartments but we won't move to an apartment living culture until we change the laws on the size of apartments we build (we don't build for families) and put in long term protection for tenants.

As for country living, we could do more of that if we took advantage an legislated for WFH. Would give us some options to decentralize away from Dublin.

I don't think they will either because i don't think apartment living was ever in their plans. Other than encourage cuckoo funds to develop short term lets which is the status quo they aren't doing anything to shift the public mindset to more longer term living.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,010 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Can anyone explain why the former Taoiseach and current Tanaiste and the entire government only became 'concerned' about the ownership of the site of the National Maternity Hospital THIS WEEK?

Something obscenely incompetent in that to me anyhow.

Can anyone explain why the former Taoiseach and current Tanaiste and the entire government only became 'concerned' about the ownership of the site of the National Maternity Hospital THIS WEEK?

Something obscenely incompetent in that to me anyhow.

Because of the by election I think. It does look like utter incompetence though.

• Advertisement

I still am baffled by the decision to move all of these services to Vincents instead of into Blanchardstown and onto land the government already owned.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,656 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I still am baffled by the decision to move all of these services to Vincents instead of into Blanchardstown and onto land the government already owned.

You would have to follow the money. I think most of us are baffled by that.

I am surprised they are not making more hay with this, the should look to legislate and break the hold the church has over these institutions.

As floppybits says follow they money, there is allot of redress owed from the Catholic church and nows the time to start going in for the kill.

I am surprised they are not making more hay with this, the should look to legislate and break the hold the church has over these institutions.

As floppybits says follow they money, there is allot of redress owed from the Catholic church and nows the time to start going in for the kill.

Rome is very good at negotiations.

https://twitter.com/SocDems/status/1407638150449709066

FFG is clearly afraid of religious orders.

Rome is very good at negotiations.

https://twitter.com/SocDems/status/1407638150449709066

FFG is clearly afraid of religious orders.

At one time maybe but its a long time since they had any real power. Now would be the time and could get them some brownie points if done right.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭FullyComp

Floppybits wrote: »
    You would have to follow the money. I think most of us are baffled by that.

I think there is a plan to move the rotunda to blanch eventually and the Coombe to James

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

FullyComp wrote: »
    I think there is a plan to move the rotunda to blanch eventually and the Coombe to James

Will most likely happen under a united Ireland, Leo wants to see that happen in his lifetime now too don't forget.....between that and him saying theyll build 40k houses per year, and Sammy Wilson sounding like an old school shinner also, all I can say is - what a time to be aliive!

https://twitter.com/JonTonge/status/1407341050289659907?s=19

Ask the Rotunda and see what the answer is to that. They have plans of their own and it ain't moving from current location so it doesn't matter what Leo wants

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭FullyComp

Ask the Rotunda and see what the answer is to that. They have plans of their own and it ain't moving from current location so it doesn't matter what Leo wants

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-20339995.html

Mr Varadkar said the original proposal to relocate the hospitals did not come from himself or Ms Burton — it came from the board of the Rotunda and the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, their academic partners.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-20339995.html

Mr Varadkar said the original proposal to relocate the hospitals did not come from himself or Ms Burton — it came from the board of the Rotunda and the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, their academic partners.

That article is from 2015.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/rotunda-hospital-urgently-needs-decision-on-plan-to-provide-additional-beds-1.4082079

This is more relevant and as I mentioned the Rotunda has a plan which has nothing to do with moving to Blanchardstown. Statements like the below are some of the reasons why Rotunda has plans to stay on current location.

If the Rotunda was moved to Connolly without these changes, the maternity hospital would still have to transport critically ill mothers back to the Mater Hospital for treatment, he warned.

• Advertisement

Imagine if they did move, FF and FG tripping each other up and throwing digs to be in charge of any new development on the Rotunda grounds.

Shebean wrote: »
    Imagine if they did move, FF and FG tripping each other up and throwing digs to be in charge of any new development on the Rotunda grounds.

??
    What are you talking about?

??
    What are you talking about?

If the Rotunda hospital relocated.

There would be development land in the heart of the city.

FF and FG would kill each other trying to make off it.

FF and FG love making money for their associates.

It would be a sight to behold.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Such nonsense. There is already tonnes of development land in the city centre. Why aren't they doing it over that land already?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,656 ✭✭✭Floppybits

They would get repetitive strain injuries in their eyes and necks from the nodding and winking and not forgetting the paper cuts from the opening the auld brown envelopes.

Such nonsense. There is already tonnes of development land in the city centre. Why aren't they doing it over that land already?

Ministers are historically reluctant to make us aware of such dealings.

Based on their party reputations.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,962 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Floppybits wrote: »
    They would get repetitive strain injuries in their eyes and necks from the nodding and winking and not forgetting the paper cuts from the opening the auld brown envelopes.
    Ministers are historically reluctant to make us aware of such dealings.

Based on their party reputations.

Be serious lads. Half-baked conspiracy theories about Ministers profiting off the move of the Rotunda is comical stuff.

blanch152 wrote: »
    Be serious lads. Half-baked conspiracy theories about Ministers profiting off the move of the Rotunda is comical stuff.

It's not a conspiracy theory. It's not happening, currently. It could easily.

It's happened in the past. Just occurred to me if it became subject to redevelopment they'd be at each others throats trying to snag it. It's their nature, based on past events.

What a load of rubbish
    Does the government even have a claim on that land?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭ooter

Advertisement