Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - Part 3 - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,842 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Any data on this or is just a feeling in your waters?

If the only people interested were as you say Michael put on some show for them scurrying around buying votes and whipping people into line.

The tactical effects of this vote and the shennanigans will play out for a while yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

An interesting, if unexpected, side-effect of this MNOC is that it has solidified the idea of FF and FG being a single party. Bacik/Labour was being quoted in the usual outlets as saying that there was a need for a government of the Left. The funny thing is how some its supporters in the media still consider it a mainstream party rather than a fringe party with only seven seats. The interesting thing was how the Indo had some rather anti-Green stories (it is an extremely pro-FG publication) and how FF/FG forced a climbdown on the turf issue and some the other Green agenda. The Greens are between a rock and a hard place in terms of withdrawing from government. If they did, it might force an election in which they would lose most of their seats. FF/FG's fear of a GE is quite obvious in the way that the FFG propaganda line about "nobody wants a GE" is being spun. Nobody believes it.

SF consolidated its position as the main opposition party to such an extent that the Big Three dynamic of Irish politics is forming into an FF/FG versus SF one. Despite some Independents voting for the government, there are signs of discontent within FF and the Greens seem to be having problems keeping track of their TDs voting. The next step for SF and the rest of the opposition will probably be the targeting of various ministers for MNOCs.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I didn't notice if Alan Kelly turned up 🤔 he's been sulking since being drop Kicked, haven't seen him in the Dail for weeks 🤔

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

If those are facts, you have links.

If those are made up bullsh!t, then you won't.

Simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,621 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

So defeat in the MoNC is actually a victory now?

Hilarious!

• Advertisement

Seems to have dropped off the radar. He was a better leader than Bacik but made some poor decisions. Not sure if he will run again in the next GE. Not sure if his seat will be taken by an SF, or FF/FG candidate.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 9,322 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

You're way too rigid to understand the nuances of all this. Don't take my word for it - Read jmcc's for crucial insights.

I felt it went really well. Good debate and perfect result.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Links to the words of the TD above.

TD asked for assurances before he would vote for the government, TD got assurances and voted for the government.

McSharry claimed he had achieved a deal for his constituents, Taoiseach refused to say he was lying.

Now we wait to see what other deals were done.

I've a very close friend, just retired has lived outside Nenagh all his life, big extended family etc, has not once met Alan Kelly, few locally seem to have, General consensus is Kelly won't run again and his seat likely going independent or SF, obviously just an opinion from some people I know but a lot of dissatisfaction with FFGG, not sure what if any presence the Greens have in Tipp.

A return to auction politics is the sign of a government that is in trouble. It is not so long ago that FG had to form a minority government with Independents and the collaboration of Martin and FF.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Some spinning going on 🤣🤣🤣

Some of the old chestnuts fired out as well. Oh this means FF and FG are one party, only problem is Green Party are also in government so would they now also be one party?

Post edited by brokenangel on

• Registered Users Posts: 14,621 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

You call that an 'insight'?

Nah!

At the end of the day the MoNC was a failure. SF 0-4 on these afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,322 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Lowry will nominate a running mate and take a 2nd seat. Both will vote with FFG for favours 😂

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

I didn’t see anyone been dismissed in my post

Just pointing out it was another failure for the opposition.

Guess who said this when they tabled a motion of no confidence?

'The Xxxxxx Xxxx party has been left with no option but to table this motion. While it may not succeed in its obvious intent,....etc etc'

A MONC has many purposes, and has effects on subsequent events, to live in denial of that is your own perogative. The success or failure of this one is far too early to call.

Exactly jmcc, a return to auction politics is what it is and that will have serious ramifications on getting a budget through.

That's when the real challenge starts, it's going to be chaotic

The outcome was unlikely to be a defeat for the government and even then it had to buy votes. The objective was to consolidate the idea, for the electorate, that FF/FG is a single party. It dominated the news cycle even with a Tory leadership contest and a war in Ukraine.

It might be a bit before your time but SF has always used a "Long War" strategy. The more that SF can present FFG as a single disfunctional party, the more that FF, FG and the Greens will argue with each other. FFers, real FFers rather than the FG wannabes around Martin, held a meeting while Martin was off sightseeing in Ukraine. They were not pleased with him and were, according to some reports, talking about getting rid of him. These FFers were also upset at Martin's continual grovelling to FG and letting FG stomp all over them despite FF being the larger party.

The Greens had some of their agenda vetoed with Ryan's turf issue being squashed. (Did he want to ban turf from being sold on the Internet?) Putting restrictions on farming was never going to go down well and as has been seen in the Netherlands. If FFG tries the same stuff here, it will go very wrong for FFG as SF will gain more votes in rural areas. Now wouldn't that be hilarious?

Regards...jmcc

It is also going to cause more disquiet in FFG because it effectively values the vote of an Independent more than the vote of an FFG TD in the same constituency and could be a deciding factor in the reelection of some Independents at the expense of the FFG candidates. Ring's analysis of the 2020 GE said that 4 out of 5 FG seats could be in danger. For FFG, this is creating long term pain for short term gain.

Regards...jmcc

They are being snookered and their supporters can't see it or won't admit to it. I was not sure if they would make the full term or not before yesterday, now I can't see a way for them to make it.

• Advertisement

Lowry may retire but I think that there may a replacement ready. He's done well from FG and apparently has a very good local organisation.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 29,417 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

ah tis part of the game, it was clearly an attempt to push us closer to a ge, it ll eventually happen of course, and sf may cause that, eventually, maybe....

The not so secret "secret" FF meeting was one of the first signs of instability. The funny part was that Jack Chambers turned up to check audio/video cables. No cabinet members of FF were apparently invited. Jim O'Callaghan looks like the obvious choice for a leadership challenge (even though FF did badly in the DBS bye-election) and there will probably be a lot of discussions going on during the Dail break.

The Greens won't like having their policies shot down. The budget is going to have to buy off a lot of TDs who are worried about their own reelection and even then there is the problem of the FF Ard Fheis in September where Martin's leadership might be a major topic. FG and its supporters seems to have convinced themselves that everything is fine and that FF will vote for Varadkar in December.

Regards...jmcc

This the secret meeting that the people attending put out information on social media for the whole World to see 🤦‍♂️

I would suggest you have a look at the meaning of the word secret, seems like we have another “filibuster” moment

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭shirrup

Ok so you weren't dismissing these members of the electorate, who (according to polls) are the same numerically to that of FF FG combined, when you wrote this?

It was a total failure and the only people taking interest in the vote was people who vote SF and always would vote SF.

That's how it reads.

If you weren't trying to dismiss them, maybe you would like to elaborate on what exactly that means

Are you just making things up to downplay the significance of this meeting for the future of Martin as FF leader?

I think it as the Irish Mail On Sunday that ran with the story first. Don't think that the people attending it mentioned it on Social Media. Had they done so, some of Martin's supporters might have attended. The part about Jack Chambers coming around to just check the A/V cables was quite funny.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

The idea that FF or FG might have done snakey back room deals is hardly new. Maybe he got earmarked for an envoy job for if he loses his seat.

Dobbo nailing the government on its inaction on the disposal of baby organs. They've a long history of allowing the abuse of living and dead infants. The mass baby grave in Tuam still there. Is it a class thing I wonder?

Is there another supposed 1st world western country that would leave a mass baby dump site lay and not even look for others?

Double post?

• Advertisement

Well I suppose the lack of elaborating speaks for itself here. Maybe in your head a line such as "the only people taking interest" in something isn't a dismissal (because those people "only" equal the same numbers of a combined FFG)

with your refusal to clarify though, alas we'll never know.

In the mean time, I'm going to stand by my initial thoughts on it. I guess you just posted that without thinking the stupidity of what it meant through.

Advertisement