Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - Part 3 - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

So as an aside from the comment you quoted you want me to tell you why the government are making a balls of everything they do?

I'd look into companies telling the consumer they've no option but to raise rates then reporting higher profits.

Why are we the highest in the EU? Don't all the other members have the same problems? Why are we worse?

I see the housing, LA and heritages minister, with no responsibility for housing is talking about more emergency accommodation due to the rise in homeless families.

Why are they completely useless wasters Mark?

I'd make the construction industry foot the entire bill for the mica problem instead of using the tax payer like a bottomless money bucket.

Besides we pay these chancers to look after these things. I agree with you though, at this stage we should be asking anonymous people on the Internet what we should do.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

It was extraordinary, I've never liked him, smug , arrogant, belligerent , the type of person you don't send out , unless you want to infuriate people even more 😉

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Just back in from doing a 7.5k walk and on my walk I listened to some Philip Boucher Hayes interviews over the past 2 days on the Claire Byrne Show. I heard three car crash interviews with Matt Carthy, Eamon Ryan and Colm Brophy.

Matt was not giving too much away, and some of his excuses were not great. Eamon did not answer all the questions that he was asked and he bluffed at times. Colm was bullshitting as usual and even claimed there would be no cattle culled.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Looks like FFG might have something with which to distract people from this deal. The Sabina Higgins letter to the Irish Times (a rather stupid one about the war in Ukraine) seems to be causing problems and even appeared on the President's website before being deleted. It is not quite "thundering disgrace" territory but it could, if the FFG media people were evil enough, be used to dominate the news cycle. As Higgins was the presidential candidate for FF/FG/Labour, FFG might not do it and, instead, hope that the deal is forgotten about by the Dail resumes and talk about the budget, the back to school costs, and the lack of student accommodation dominate the news cycle.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 14,553 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

You mention SF and Matt Carthy but does anyone know their position on this? Anyone?

He was on RTE radio yesterday doing an interview and he was beaten around the place from pillar to post on their lack of a policy. Apparently, they had a policy in 2020 when going for election but all of a sudden that policy has gone missing.

SF will make no gain from this, in fact, it's best they shut the **** up as people will realise they are a one-trick pony. Shout and roar over and over again.

I think when the dust settles, both camps will grumble but know that they had to give up something to get it over the line. This is Ireland and coalitions are the norm, which means compromises are key. Forget about the fools going on about 'Capitulation', they are just singing off a prompt sheet given to them by someone else and they don't have an original idea or solution to save their life.

Regardless, this will be a legally enforceable limit that any future government won't be able to touch lightly.

• Advertisement

True, there will be the reactionary, right-wing, populist climate change denier nonsense on display from some independents. Maybe a few more will get elected over this, but there wont be enough of them, and they are very unlikely to be part of the next government. Come to think of it these types have plenty of support from the crew here.

She actually wasn't. You don't even know the basics which says a lot.

She left SF in 2018 because she is a devout pro-lifer.

She was elected in 2020 as an independent, got the last seat as well. If SF are to do well and run two candidates in that constituency, she will be the one to lose out here. If she actually makes it over the line, it will be at the expense of the 2nd SF candidate.

On SF, they wont be getting votes for this because they are not on the side of farmers, indeed they are not on any side because they have run away from the debate like scared little children.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Pretty much the hymn sheet of Colm Brophy there.

Told ya. SF, the king of fudges on a topic so important.

This is actually where they are very very VERY weak. They have no policy, but will shout and roar about the government doing the wrong thing, yet don't have a solution themselves, but will shout and roar anyway.

When the next election comes around, this is where they will be targeted, and it could sink their credibility over being a main member of government because at the moment they are missing.

Every other party has a position on this issue, yet the main opposition party who wants to be the main player in the next government goes missing, runs away like a little child and has no policy on arguably the biggest issue facing the world? Pathetic to be honest. Irish people are not stupid and deserve better.

• Advertisement

Apparently SF didn't have the data on which to make a decision. Very convenient. It kept the problem as an FFG problem and now FFG is facing a net zero target in rural areas. It won't affect the Greens much. They are spinning this as a win and don't have many rural TDs. However, for FF/FG, 25% might be the percentage of FF/FG TDs that could lose their seats over this deal.

RTE, being the state broadcaster, obviously wanted to rope SF into things. SF was too smart to get involved. The damage to support may affect FF/FG and that's what irks you, isn't it? The fear that SF could begin to take rural farming/agriculture votes that were once solidy FF/FG. Absolutely terrifying for you and those like you! And then there's the internal FF/FG problems from rural FF/FG TDs who now face the potential loss of their seats. This wasn't a win for FF/FG. It was a win for the Greens. The Greens outplayed FF/FG. Has your chap John Paul Phelan/FG resigned the whip yet? How many more FF/FG TDs will be tempted to resign the whip to improve their reelection chances?

I think that this football commentary from 1981 sums it up for FF/FG. :)

Regards...jmcc

It might be news to you Francie, but SF has signed up to a 51% reduction in emissions by 2030 and net zero by 2050.

They support this and voted for it.

Let me repeat this for effect.

They SUPPORT it and VOTED for it...

They cant turn around and go down the climate change denier route and wax lyrical about Brazil or other such nonsense.

So, its 2022 and we have 8 years to reduce our carbon emissions by 51% but then. SF support this, yet wont tell us how we get there....

You should talk to your mates here, as they are saying its a capitulation for the Greens.

Also, as mentioned SF have signed up to net zero by 2050 and 51% reduction by 2030. That is why they have gone missing the last few days.

The thread is about the policy makers who have missed every target they have set. Do you think they will make the 2030 target Mark?

What damage to people will they have to do to get there?

Thoughts please.

The opposition seen it was an essentially political game with no real intent to reach targets or save the planet and decided to play along with the game.

If any of them believed it was a genuine emergency (I do BTW) there would have been cross party work.

FF FG and indeed the Greens have been revealed to care more about seats than the planet.

Why are we the highest in the EU?

Ireland doesnt have the highest inflation in the EU, we actually bang in the middle.

If you want to educate yourself on the matter, read this doc.

https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/documents/2995521/14644638/2-19072022-AP-EN.pdf/fff35147-c9b3-a915-7bf0-b09202bbd130#:~:text=European%20Union%20annual%20inflation%20was,%25)%20and%20Finland%20(8.1%25).

You will see that inflation in Estonia is the highest with 22%.

Here ill even screenshot the graph if you don't want to bother reading it.

So, my question to you is, why do you get so much of your posts factually wrong? Like for someone giving out about the guberment messing it all up, you should be doing better here.

Just to be clear re the Laois / Offaly constituency, Not only will Carol Nolan retain her seat, she'll increase her vote.

The people in Trouble are Sean Fleming & Charlie Flanagan , Fleming may not even run again.

Cowan has his Die hard Clara set

Brian Stanley has actually done himself alot of damage outside his Portlaoise stronghold and despite his high profile, I know many who worked on his campaigns throughout the two counties, livid that since he got elected, he's basically dropped many of his original support base like bad habits, holds few clinics and ironically helped Carol Nolan secure a seat as an independent last time.

Charlie Flanagan may just do the sensible thing and retire, really has disappeared off the local political scene and honestly very little chance of re election.

I believe there'll be two independents next time

That isn't true about missing every target Francie. Another lie is probably told to you by someone else, who tells you want to think.

However, you skipped over the point about SF voting for the 51% reduction and the Net Zero reduction by 2050. Not even you can squirm away from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I am not at liberty to discuss SF on this thread. There has been many moderation posts on the issue.

You skipped the questions there Mark.

Do you think they will make the 2030 target Mark?

Thoughts please.

• Advertisement

Then dont bring them up if you are not willing to front up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,307 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

The chair of the Climate Advisory committee is asking why FFGG announced sector targets that only add up to 43%. Did FFG forget about the legal limit for emission reduction?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Front up?

Any chance you'd front up and stop turning sideways like the renowned Brophy?

Do you think they will make the 2030 target Mark?

Thoughts please.

The Greens were never going to get 30%. It is basic political deal making. Open high and get the other side to settle at a much higher level than they originally wished (22%). The Greens gutted FF/FG. As the clip above said, your boys took a Hell of a beating. A hell of a beating. :) The Greens are now going around spinning this as a success and FF/FG are trying to reassure rural voters that the national herd won't be culled. The FF/FG national herd is not so safe.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Genuine question...

If FF were to enter coalition with SF is there a risk that's there core voters move to FG and FF fall to Labour numbers with regards TD's

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Philip Boucher Hayes said today the figures don't add up and we have not seen much in the way of detail yet on how it will be implemented. @markodaly Do you think they will make the 2030 target? Yes or no will suffice.

FF seems to have a pro-FG element (Martin and his clique) and a more FF element that sees SF replacing it as broadly centrist party with widespread support. The gulf between these FFers and SF is not that wide. Labour was obliterated because it betrayed its voters and lost its core support. FF still has much of its core support and should have easily won more seats in the last GE. Because it was led by the pro-FG Martin, it lost seats. Take him out of the equation and install a real FF leader and things change dramatically. One potential outcome is a fracture in FF and FG with some of the conservative element forming a new party. The problem for FF/FG is that the voters already consider FF and FG to be a single party in terms of votes. (A few opinion polls have asked about second preferences.) FF is still the largest party at Local Government level. If FF had won near 55 seats in the last GE, it would have gone into coalition with SF rather than FG but Martin and his pro-FG attitude banjaxed FF. Don't underestimate FF or its support.

Regards...jmcc

Agree here, I said after 2008 here that FF would inevitably be back as a force in Irish politics and I was laughed at and derided by the usual few. No doubt about it in my mind Martin would have coalesced with SF had he had enough seats to be Taoiseach first and top dog.

The FG support here love his genuflection to FG, but again, in my view that is masking the real FF. The FF still damaged by 2008 and all that, who are republicans at their core.

FG need to beware if they find their feet again and IMO they are, they could find themselves locked out of power for a long time.

• Advertisement

One thing that has become apparent since about 2012: FG is led by idiots. It had the chance to obliterate FF as the main party in Ireland politics but lacked the killer instinct. Even Brian Hayes was claiming in the Sindo around then that FG needed FF to stop SF. That hasn't turned out well.

FF has a ruthless streak that FG does not possess. FGers are more likely to fight amongst themselves than with other parties. Even after 2008, FF managed to remain the largest party at Local Government level. As soon as the opportunity arises (and FF support increases with FG support collapsing), FF will walk. That's become slightly more likely now because FF will work on blaming FG for the 25% deal to protect its rural vote. If it pulls it off, FG is in very deep trouble and could easily end up in the mid 20s after the next GE.

Regards...jmcc

Advertisement