Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - Part 3 - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

What makes it abhorrent? What is done in other countries that is better?

Where are counties coping well with the Ukranian influx

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Irelandsnumberone

This is what FF/FG have done to our young people. Not SF, Not Covid, Not Ukraine

On housing, there was actually a great Spat with David David Cullinane & the appalling Brenda Power on the Claire Byrne show yesterday , it spilled over deliciously onto to twitter, she wrote an extraordinary dreadful article in some rag, daily mail I think, well she regretted that & some appalling comments about Tenant's yesterday on the show yesterday, RTE got slammed.

She'd be up for a Fine Gael senate nomination if it weren't for her rather disturbing other views. 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 16,657 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

These are fairly extreme views, but have become popular across the Atlantic. It does leave you with, effectively, no one to vote for in Ireland, and would make others wary of sharing your opinions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Shock news story, some houses are more expensive to rent than others

Maybe I missed something but wasn’t it always the case that some places had higher rents than others? 🤷‍♂️

Not getting into the Ukrainian situation, but I am intrigued by your assertion, Ireland is not Full 🤔

If your referring to vast green pastures fine, perhaps but in relation to housing and accommodation, surely your mistaken 🤔 of course I'm aware negotiations ongoing with Hotels etc but surely your not suggesting this is an appropriate use for hotels or to serve long term needs of anyone particularly families.

Let's examine were we are right now.

Less than 800 rental properties available in Ireland right now. For those who can afford it. DAFT, I know.

Yes developments re private housing ongoing but nowhere near what's enough for those aspiring to own their own home and barely catching up.

Yes lots of apartments being built but for rental, fine if you think that's great and happy for the state in someway to subsidise their building initially and then long term through HAP, seems bonkers to me.

11K in Emergency Accommodation

4.5k in DP fully processed waiting to find a place to rent.

1,000's on waiting lists (don't have current stats)

And then there's DP, so full, Hotels now being Used

And finally 48K in relation to the subject I won't discuss here and expected to 80K by Dec 31st (conservative )

Ireland seems pretty full to me 🤔

But let's not stop there,...

Students....

Mica, we're are these folks to live when if ever rebuilding commences.

Nah, Ireland is quite full I'm afraid from were I'm standing.

I think you have a problem with the caps lock on your keyboard

A poll as I always said is irrelevant, if we took a vote and the majority vote for it so be it, the person with 50 fake accounts online can only vote once 👍

Extreme views, please do elaborate, are you even slightly aware of what's going on🤔 why do you believe me saying STOP is extreme exactly, surely Pause, reflection, reality check not extreme 🤔 I sense we're your coming from but please don't drag me into that nonsense. And incidently I'm coming at this from the entire context of numerous crisis, not one Inn case your trying to assume anything.

• Advertisement

none of the political parties, in government or opposition seem to agree with you. 👍

So you have no answer to how Ireland can continue to take in an unlimited amount of people without accommodation being available to them.

How many Ukranians have you straying with you?

So that's your response to facts 🤔 if your referring solely to virtue signalling you are correct.

However I'm referring to your strange notion Ireland isn't full , actually by a long shot you said.

I'm dealing with facts with regards to the lack of accommodation, Housing Generally and I'm afraid every opposition party agrees and indeed so to many within government as much as it pains them to do so , not even they can avoid the patently obvious.

Facts? Nope 👍

If a certain party turned around tomorrow and said we should take in another 100k we would have the same “facts” spun another way.

Delicious 🤤

I never claimed to take in anyone, have you?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,466 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I'm sure that angelic poster hasn't been 'straying' with anyone, let alone vulnerable refugees...

It's the same rhetoric being used by the GOP with the exact same pearl clutching about how to go about it.

Is there any party that backs up your "STOP" viewpoint? (or maybe you feel there is, but they won't say it publicly, even the tories didn't go that far).

I'd anticipated denial so laid out the facts anyway and they remain until refuted.

Riddle me this How many Housing strategies have this and previous Government announced since 2014 , I'll give you a Hint, it's slightly more than 22 , I only mention previous government because you know who was in Power & still is

Take your time.

Why would i take a family from a different country into my house.

I cant afford it for a start

Now you're being silly , GOP ,what in the world have they got to do with the FFG Thread .Again your trying to equate my perfectly reasonable call for pause, reflection because of a clearly dire over all accommodation crisis in Ireland with anti migration, please STOP 🛑 that nonsense

O Dear, in other news, apologies its a paywall article but I've a subscription (why I don't know but under review)

Seems Darragh O Brien requested Paul Hydes phone to be Cut off and access to files by him restricted 🤔 obviously a sensible decision given the little we actually know about the shenanigans at APB thanks to The Ditch, all very unseemly.

Fianna Fail TD Padraig O Sullivan now focusing on the current chairman, as I humbly, predicted & was criticised for focusing on a Non Story , this will get quite Ugly & expensive.

• Advertisement

"Again your trying to equate my perfectly reasonable call for pause"

It's a war, if you can get the war to stop I am sure everyone would be more than happy to pause. 👌

Again your dragging a topic you want to bring into the thread which I've referred to very, very , very briefly in the over all context of the ENTIRE, housing & Accommodation crisis, you can try & Try & Try deflect, I'm not biting .

But back to my question , re how many Housung strategies since 2014 , I've given a hint slightly more than 22 , let me help again , it's not more than 24

Take your time .

5 years ago today. How many more plans will we get?

No plans for Ukranians or refugees. They might just not bother with another plan for housing crisis now housing for all has failed

I'm equating it with nonsense rhetoric that has no bearing on the real world that no, elect-able in Ireland, political party would be pursuing, which is why I made my comment about it being an extreme view, if you want to back away from it as hyperbolae, fine, but no one reasonable will be pursuing that policy, hence it's a weird stick to beat the government with, unless you're an extremist (and maybe that makes you feel uncomfortable to defend).

A crisis is occurring!

"Pause everyone"

Said no one ever.

And again, it's not like the pause would do anything but the anti-immigration crowd crowing for a bit, while Ireland becomes an international pariah.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,308 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

The direct provision system in Ireland has been criticised time and again for human rights abuses.

I can send you a load of links but here are a few

End Direct Provision - Amnesty International Ireland

For more than 21 years, Ireland’s Direct Provision system has been a human rights scandal. Direct Provision has failed utterly to fulfil Ireland’s human rights obligations to people seeking protection here. Instead, it has been 21 years of people being hurt and marginalised, and 21 years of lives put on hold.

We are at a critical moment. The current Government’s commitments to finally end Direct Provision are welcome. But we still have a long way to go to ensure it delivers on these commitments. Direct Provision has to be fully and finally ended, and the proposed alternative must protect people’s human rights.

The real test will be how these commitments are implemented, and how people within the system until then have their rights upheld. Direct Provision has continued through more than 21 years of successive governments and, until it ends, thousands of people will remain in a system the Government has admitted is not fit for purpose.

Direct Provision was established in 2000 and is Ireland’s system of state provided accommodation and other basic necessities to people seeking international protection. DP centres are mainly hostels, hotels and other accommodation owned and run by private companies for profit, paid for by the Government.

DP was designed as a short-term emergency measure. Instead it has lasted more than 21 years. People were meant to spend no longer than six months while their asylum application was processed. Instead, they are trapped in limbo, often for years. Many are in overcrowded conditions, sharing bedrooms and bathrooms with strangers, lacking dignity and privacy.

The living conditions, institutionalised regime and lack of appropriate support services are unacceptable for anyone, especially for such long periods of time. It is particularly harsh for families, children, people who have experienced trauma, sexual violence or torture, and other vulnerable people.

DP centres are often in isolated locations far from local communities. The isolation and hopelessness can damage physical and mental health and hinders people’s ability to restart their lives once recognised as refugees. For torture survivors, it can severely compromise their rehabilitation.

Direct Provision - Doras

Key Issues

• Length of time: The average length of stay in Direct Provision is 24 months, with some residents having spent up to 10 or 12 years living in these conditions.
    • Profit: The majority of Direct Provision centres are managed by private contractors on a for-profit basis, on behalf of the State.
    • Employment: Until February 2018, asylum seekers had no right to work in Ireland – unlike most EU member states. Restrictions still apply and the majority of people who live in Direct Provision centres have no right to access employment.
    • Education: Limited access to further & higher education.
    • Isolated locations: Some centres are located in rural areas, with limited transport options and support services.
    • Privacy & overcrowded living conditions: Residents live in shared accommodation, with single adults sharing rooms with up to eight people of different backgrounds and nationalities.
    • Food: Three meals are provided at set times each day; limited cooking facilities are available in a small number of centres. Complaints have been made regarding lack of variety and lack of nutritional options in the centres.
    • Standards & monitoring: The living conditions vary widely from centre to centre. There is little trust in the IPAS complaints procedure & limited publicly accessible information on complaints or transfer decisions. The existing inspection system focusses on health & safety issues and does not consider the social or emotional needs of residents.
    • Health: Physical and mental health issues among residents are very common. Asylum seekers are 5 times more likely to experience mental health issues and psychiatric conditions.
    • Children: c.30% of Direct Provision residents are children. Children have been born and raised living in these conditions, the long-term developmental effects of which are still unknown.

New group to ensure commitment to end Direct Provision (rte.ie)

A group organisations have joined together to ensure that the Government fulfils its commitment to ending Direct Provision.

The coalition named STAD (Standing Against Direct Provision) includes Nasc, Amnesty International Ireland, Crosscare Refugee Project, Cultúr, Doras, Immigrant Council of Ireland, Irish Refugee Council and MASI (Movement of Asylum Seekers in Ireland.

STAD aims to ensure the Government replaces Direct Provision with alternative systems of accommodation that are compliant with human rights standards by 2024.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

No your equating what you want to equate and making up observations on my post you clearly and possibly deliberately misunderstood. I'm focused on a accommodation & housing crisis, you clearly want to focus on immigration policy , off you go but don't assume I'm anti anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

• Advertisement

How many houses blocked and projects slowed down since 2014?

How many county councils like DCC from 2014-2019 made sure the minimum amount of housing was built?

When you have a campaign by a political party to stop all housing at any cost during a period when you can’t afford to stop the building of one house you will struggle, still since the issues for two years with covid the numbers of houses is going in the right direction 👍

If the public done he responsible thing and made sure that the party they support does not block any houses/apartment for the next 3 years we would be in a lot better place…are you willing to help resolve the housing crisis?

🤷‍♂️

Advertisement