Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - Part 3 - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I actually did. Here is the bit I highlighted from that post, which is all about an election. Posters don't always reference all details in a post they reply to.

Peoples moods are changing and it will be messy by winter, the only good thing is when they are voted out of government it will be a long time before people vote them back in again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

A lot of people seem to jump up and down when a poll gives them the answer they want, when it doesn't they ignore

A poll is exactly that, a poll and maybe give a view into a small sector of society but it would be the same as taking a poll on boards. We seen what happened here when we had a person run a poll, once they didn't get the answer they wanted they told everyone to ignore the result

Come back to us with an election or an actual vote. Till then its all noise!!

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭shirrup

People are correct about your awareness on things politics wise. If polls were so insignificant or irrelevant, you wouldn't see knee jerk reactions to certain poll results or opinions as you yourself alluded to when you posted this.

Plus as I have explained before, the event shows how a government should work, put forward options and if public says no then dont go ahead with it.

You think that govts should react/worry about public opinion, but not actual poll results lol?

Someone else got there before me, but now's probably as good a time as ever to put the shovel down buddy.

The point about opinions polls is that only the election and opinion polls within 2 weeks of that election give much indication of anything beyond people not being terribly happy. If they were happy all the way through an election cycle there would be something wrong with them! If you do get excited about other polls all these ones currently indicate is that FF may face a challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,890 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

The problem is there was never sufficient evidence to convict him. EU rules mean you can't stop him from bidding.

What amazes me is that commentators have moaned and whinged about Denis, but not a single complaint under EU tendering rules has ever been made to my knowledge. Nobody wants to back up their accusations.

• Advertisement

Maybe discuss the topic for once, incredibly boring this constant whinging about the posters!

I already provided a lovely graph on opinion polls. You should look at it in terms of the government

In terms of the RIC event, you think the government changed their mind because of an opinion poll? No it wasn't.

But please carry on.

I am discussing the topic. In this case the topic at hand is your cluelessness around opinion polls, and how party's react to them.

In terms of the RIC event, you think the government changed their mind because of an opinion poll? No it wasn't.

Do you forget posting this?

Plus as I have explained before, the event shows how a government should work, put forward options and if public says no then dont go ahead with it.

How do you think the govt gauged the public as to have said "no"? Was it through opinion polls, or did they generally "read the room"?

I'm all ears on how you'll explain this one away.

The point about opinions polls is that only the election and opinion polls within 2 weeks of that election give much indication of anything beyond people not being terribly happy.

I don't agree, opinion polls, and govt reactions to them are evidence that they matter somewhat, no matter how far out from an election.

If that's your thing sure. Lack of government satisfaction has been there forever and you are taking the anorak view. Most voters do not engage until the last two weeks of an election campaign.

• Advertisement

What do you mean stay classy? You posted inconsistent and contradictory nonsense, why am I to "stay classy" because I've questioned it on an actual discussion forum?

Maybe sit on your hands instead of using them to type out inconsistent and contradictory nonsense next time.

You are missing my point, I'm only posting my opinion that govts of the day do take stock of opinion polls etc, and react to them accordingly.

I don't think they do that much. You'd need some actual evidence to show that. The government doesn't need a poll to see that housing is a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,126 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

The problem is that all three I mentioned concerning him have been during periods of FG lead governments and the political will was not there to do anything. Why that is the case, only FG can answer.

The findings of the Moriarty Tribunal were damning, and despite all Enda Kenny`s talk of "Consequently on this, the final Moriarty Report they can expect anything but more of the same.because I know, another report reeking of fanatical greed,obsessive attachment to power, and breathtaking attempts to acquire, use and access privilege.... is enough now for the people of Ireland.In fact, it`s too much, way too much...... That is what he said in the Dail March 2011 on a Report that was supposedly not going to lie on a shelf gathering dust that has lain there for the last 11 years doing just that.

There was enough in that Report to ban him from bidding on State contracts. If he wanted to go to the EU to appeal that then let him. When you look at the subsequent sweet deal on Siteserv and the nice juicy contract that followed with the awarded contract, from the latest report then talking about bidding as if it was some fail safe mechanism is farcical.

You can't ban someone from bidding on State contracts. Everyone, including Denis O'Brien is entitled to the presumption of innocence.

You can think of him as the business-suited equivalence of the Kinahans or some of the leading PIRA members. Everyone knows what they did but nobody can prove it.

If he went to the EU, he would win his case and massive compensation.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,297 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Careful. Sometimes it's deliberate baiting to get a report in. You are 100% correct though.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

An expert in refugees in Ireland was on the Claire Byrne and spoke very well about the Ukraine situation. He said the handling of Ukrainian refugees has been nothing short of shambolic. I don't know who the govt TD was but he got mauled.

Did you even read the Moriarty Report.

It lists three payments from O`Brien to Lowry. £147,000stg, £300,000stg and £420,000stg "benefit equivalent to a payment" and states that those payments were made for no other reason than Lowry being the then Minister for Communications. It goes on to list in detail why those payments were made.

Nothing was done because there was no will within FG to do anything. Not because they feared he would run to the E.U. pleading his case. As to why that was, as I said, only Fine Gael know the answer to that.

Of course you can ban bidders for State contracts. The U.K. recently threatened KPMG with just that.

Are you seriously saying that if the Kinahan`s were known to have gone around getting State contracts by use of force, the State would not ban them from bidding for any future such contracts for fear they would run off to the E.U. crying they were wronged.?

Except when opinion polls was mentioned direct to the Taoiseach on live TV he said he didn't pay any heed to them.

Michael lies all the time, you yourself posted govts change course if the public say no.

What better way to guage public opinion, than an actual opinion poll?

You changing course now on you own opinion too, yeah?

• Advertisement

The only opinion poll that matters is an election.

You seem intent on twisted every post and even the Taoiseach own words to suit your point. SO let you off with that. Let me know how you get on

What part of this post of yours do you feel I've "twisted" ?

Plus as I have explained before, the event shows how a government should work, put forward options and if public says no then dont go ahead with

You are admitting yourself that the govt make proposals (kite flying) and if public opinion is saying a big fat NO, the govt "don't go ahead with them"

There's no twisting, except maybe yourself. Twisting in the wind perhaps?

Do you want to disown that post? Deny posting it? What did you mean by it, if govts don't really react to public opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Seems that FFG wants to shut down the IBRC commission. News cycle is being flooded with stories about Queen Elizabeth so this may not get serious attention.

Regards...jmcc

Post edited by jmcc on

Brexit is the difference for the UK. They can ban anyone they like.

I wasn't talking about the Kinahan's bidding for any future contracts. Everyone knows about their drug business but the main players aren't in jail, that is the point.

The Moriarty Report is not a criminal finding, it does not debar someone from competing for a tender. The Gardai and the DPP were the ones who had the power to act on the findings of the Moriarty Tribunal.

Yes lets spend another 70m on a report to tell us IBRC might have got some more money from some sales.

Are you one bit surprised? I'd say they reluctantly completed the Siteserve investigation but only because Catherine Murphy and others kept pushing for answers and transparency. 7 years is disgraceful but that was always the plan. Disgusting politics. Reform on the way I am sure...

Brexit has nothing to do with it. The government here could have issued a ban with recourse to the Gardai or the DPP could have banned him if they wished and if he had wanted to appeal he would have to go through the Irish courts before he could go to the E.U. courts. Instead we got Enda Kenny spouting bull and Fine Gael doing sweet f a.

He would have faced some difficult questions where we actually may have gotten answers too.But the when it comes to previous besties and court cases, who knows what they might reveal.

So what, you reckon that if the Kinahan`s used their thugs to influence the outcome of State tenders they should not be banned from the tender protest because their leaders are not in prison ?

Was the Moriarty report referred to AGS?

Regards...jmcc

No. Even IBRC had iffy origins. The electorate's distrust of FFG will be amplified by such actions.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

FG again talking about a 30% tax rate.

Why help everyone when you can just help your base.

Classic

Advertisement