Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - Part 3 - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

As I said,dancing on head of a pin,using pedanticism to justify,what is essentially racism is a poor look

But look it,your entitled to hold rather dubious views as much as the next person🥲....just don't wail,when anyone dare and point it out

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭atticu

I think that everyone can read what you claimed, and how you have tried to back down from your claim.

I did not claim anything, or express any views.

So trying to transfer your views and opinions onto me is not going to work.

I haven't backed down from anything....I think it's open to accusations of bigotry basing the government decision on aslyum seekers that allows em to treat different based where they come from

Quite why you need jump through hoops to downplay/justify it,is your own cross to carry

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭atticu

So, you are still standing by your false claim without any proof.

OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,297 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Dail back this week. Should be fun. FFG will need to brace themselves.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,890 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Is that the poll showing the government parties at a time of the biggest inflation crisis for nearly 50 years on a combined 49% and likely to be reelected on those figures?

Now, I know you claim to be a journalist, and I with many others don't find that credible. It doesn't help that you misquote and misrepresent my post.

I asked: "And what has Denis O'Brien allegedly being a longtime friend of FG got to do with me?"

You responded: "Where did I say he (O'Brien) had anything to do with you?"

That is not what I said you did.

The first responsibility of journalism is to accuracy and truth, to faithfully represent what they have been told and what they learned. If a poster claiming to be a journalist is obviously compromised by bias, personal hang-ups about others, and misrepresents others continuously, their claim to be a respected journalist is hardly worth taking seriously, is it?

If he applies bias and misrepresentation to his posts on boards.ie, it is not credible to accept, without seeing his articles outside of boards, that he is a credible journalist not prone to bias and misrepresentation.

The entire media is prone to bias and misrepresentation.....remember the SF keeping info on people,quickly transformed into ffg keeping voting intentions of people...both being same thing

You are free to report any article you feel is bias to press ombudsman btw,

• Advertisement

We wouldn't be having this conversation if the poster hadn't tried to boost his contributions by claiming he was a journalist. All he has done is lower the status in which they are held.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Perhaps you think that this post makes you look smart but it is simply stating the results of a poll of around 905 (I think) people conducted face to face over a number of days. The talk about the Siteserv report may have influenced FG's support. That Siteserv report did remind voters of FG's association with Dinny O'Brien (Moriarty, Lowry, Siteserv etc) and how nothing was done by FG. Just to explain it in simple terms for you, those are polls that try to measure first preference national support for the parties using various methodologies. However, outside the poll-toppers most of the TDs are elected on transfers. TDs are also elected at a local level. This is why institutionalised political correspondents and political reporters are frequently confused by election results.

Regards...jmcc

If the three government parties get a combined 49%, they will be re-elected without a doubt. Sorry to break that bad news to you.

As for your notion about transfers, in the history of this state, 90% of TDs have been elected on the basis of the order of first preference.

You say that outside of the poll-toppers most of the TDs are elected on transfers. Well just to look at my own constituency Dublin West, only 3 TDs since 1981 have been elected when outside of the seat places on Count 1. Transfers matter but not to the extent you claim.

Amazing how you see fit to lecture people on Journalism and posting on Boards.ie. There was a rather nasty attempt at doxxing on another thread. You've been continually defending FFG here on various threads. FG's associations with Dinny O'Brien are well known and have featured in reams of newspaper articles, a few books, the Moriarty Tribunal and now the Siteserv report. There's a difference between posting on a forum with anonymous posters and writing an article for publication. As a journalist, it is important to get the facts right for publication. Posting on fora generally involves expressing personal opinions.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 34 maceoin.D.

Well said. FG are so alienated from everyone except they very core support (who must be wavering) that they will struggle to buy a transfer in GE.Next. FF might be getting some traction again but their legacy will haunt them too.

I don't claim to be a journalist. I don't claim elevated status for my posts as a result or additional credibility. If someone does make the claim, it is fair to assess it.

I don't defend Denis O'Brien, I don't like the man, but I do call out silly ideas that have no legal standing such as banning him from state contracts.

Fully accept that, but then again, I am not a poster jumping up and down with excitement over opinion polls, particularly mid-term opinion polls.

It is the transfers issue that is the real problem for FF/FG. The electorate is beginning to consider them to be a single party and this means that the transfers will stay within FF/FG. That will cause FF and FG candidates to fratricide and knock each other out as the count progresses.

B&A is always more favourable to FF due to FF's older support demographics. RedC has always favoured FG and Labour so these %s are bound to be worrying FG. The real problem for FFG is that SF's % is solid across polls with different methodologies. That kind of thing used to only happen in the last weeks before a GE. The fact that SF's position has been stable for a few months could indicate that the next GE will be much more problematic for FF/FG than previous ones because there is the expectation of SF being a complete alternative to FFG. That's likely to attract some floating votes and the Housing, Homelessness and Health issues have not been resolved. SF is making the right noises on energy bills while FFG politicians talk in generalities rather than specifics.

The core support issue is also a problem for FFG because those voters are also getting hit with increased energy bills and cost of living increases. There's no better way to affect an FFG voter's loyalty than to hit them in the pocket.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭shirrup

One of the great things about internet forums is that people can claim all sorts of things, and others are free to find those claims either credible, or not credible.

Even claims like this.

Now, I know you claim to be a journalist, and I with many others don't find that credible. It doesn't help that you misquote and misrepresent my post.

Because I am not a journalist, nor have I ever claimed to be one. So that means yourself "with many others" have been discussing (behind the scenes? Or can you show me where it was being discussed publicly?) the credibility of something I never made a claim to, either on this site or any other, in my entire life.

You can either admit your mistake, or double down on it. I'm not bothered either way.

Post edited by shirrup on

• Advertisement

What expectation of SF being a complete alternative to FFG? Yours?

This is a mid-term opinion poll with the biggest inflation crisis in 50 years, yet one poll in the last few days sees the government being re-elected. That is the real story.

Nah. You just don't understand polling and you don't understand what these polls mean. SF is presenting itself as an alternative to FFG and is providing practical solutions on energy bills while FFG politicans waffle. That's the kind of thing that appeals to voters. Now FFG supporters like yourself will probably claim that it is merely populist but those paying the bills don't give a damn what you or other FFG supporters think. This is a much bigger issue than the Water Tax and has the capability to wipe out FFG support in various constituencies on an IPP scale if not dealt with quickly.

Regards...jmcc

The energy crisis will be over by 2025, so don't understand what effect it will have on support level then.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

And to deal with that crisis, the EU and the government, like any government, have a plan which will involve spending a lot of money to help people out, as it should. Your posts on polls are interesting enough even if fanciful at times but some of them like this try to force the data to do something that is completely untrue. TBH it almost feels like you want them to fail on everything, which will make you you feel good but is of no great use to the rest of the country.

As usual people will use these types of irrelevant polls to see what they want but whatever particular views one might have on the government that 49% support, if realised, is a relatively simple path to stability and a potentially quickly-formed new administration. If one can learn anything from the polls it shows the challenge for those hoping to become an alternative government.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,126 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

What is going to change on energy between now and 2025 ?

Renewables are intermittent and thus unreliable, so the need for fossil fuels is not going to disappear in 3 years, so it`s either more gas from somewhere or other fossil fuels to fill the void. Gas is by far the cleanest, but other than Russia I do not see where Europe can get it in the quantities needed. That would leave LNG, which Irish greens are opposed too, so something has to change between now and 2025

Polls are estimates, typically of national party support, rather than precise measurements. The problems arise when people and political correspondents and journalists take them as being measurements.

FFG is failing at many things and there seems to be no real thinking on how to solve problems other than to throw money to others and hope that they solve them. This causes problems like the Childrens Hospital, PPARS, Eircom etc. Polls are snapshots of public opinion at a specific point in time and use multiple methodologies. These multiple methodologies can be very misleading. RedC uses a sample from a 40K panel and B&A uses a random sample and face to face polling. They can both be right for the samples that they are surveying but can provide very different results. There's also the issue of Don't Knows and voting history that some of pollsters may treat differently. The DKs are a substantial percentage of voters. Excluding them or attempting to redistribute them based on voting history can make the parties look like they have much more support than they do in reality.

Regards...jmcc

And yet you're the only one who's going all Mystic Meg and predicting stuff off them. You've also quite ludicrously suggested that either the Greens or FF will pull down the government imminently without even a shred of evidence.

Not really sure why you persist in these long-winded expositions on polls as if posters are somehow seeing them for the first time in their lives. Much of what you are on about here has been pointed out to you a dozen times, by myself and others.

Considering what happens if what these polls suggest is not going "Mystic Meg". The discontent in FF is very real and if Covid hadn't intervened Martin would have been gone. The rubber chicken circuit of gathering support was conducted via a set of Zoom meetings.

As for you, and others, pointing out things about polls, please forgive me as I seem to have missed your contributions.

When people rely upon institutionalised political correspondents and political journalists with minimal understanding of polling and surveys, they will typicaly be misled and will be surprised at the outcome of elections. That's why polcorrs get election predictions wrong. They got the 2016 GE wrong, Brexit wrong, Trump wrong, the 2020 GE wrong.

They were unaware that Labour had started to collapse after 2013 and the obliteration of Labour in 2016 was a big shock them them even though the data was predicting this. The emergence of the Big Three party model where no two parties would have enough seats for a government was also obvious from 2013 onwards and I called the spread between the largest and smallest part for the 2016 GE and the probability of a near-2002 style loss of seats for FG based on the data.

My comments here and elsewere upset party supporters because I focus on the data. That's why I called a lot of things correctly when party supporters and their tame journalists got things very wrong. Getting things right usually pisses off those who get things wrong.

Regards...jmcc

My comments here and elsewere upset party supporters because I focus on the data. That's why I called a lot of things correctly when party supporters and their tame journalists got things very wrong. Getting things right usually pisses off those who get things wrong.

TBH it's how you choose to use it that encourages people to challenge it. Your conclusions are wild suppositions based on what you think parties will do about such polls. Most of them really don't care and simple addition of support even with your interpretation of them, points to another deal making Dail , with no clear outcome.

• Advertisement

I love your poll analysis jmcc - dont let them censor you 😉

The confidence & supply and then subsequent coalition have obliterated the 'civil war politics' nonsense which had so many people blinded for decades longer than it should have. FF and FG are now perceived as 2 very very similar parties with lots and lots of 'baggage' and shady legacy. The last election was fascinating but the next one will be truly ground-breaking. It will be the end of an era I feel.

I can wait though. I am a patient man and I am loving the exposure. I don't think the govt will come close to resolving the major problems we have over the next 2-3 years - problems that they have created themselves for the most part.

Advertisement