Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - Part 3 - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

We share completely different views on why LPT was introduced. All you're doing here is sharing a link about LPT and 91% compliance with it, which in Revenue compliance terms is still actually very good, and suggesting something else entirely by highlighting words that support your view.

Again there is absolutely no denial on my part that LAs are inept at collecting funds. That was the case in 2012 just as it is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,667 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Yes, they didn't anticipate the populist misinformation campaign by certain politicians against the tax. That was their mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭shirrup

We share completely different views on why LPT was introduced

We do? How do you know that, when I never voiced my theory behind why it was introduced? Poor deflection attempt, very poor.

All you're doing here is sharing a link about LPT and 91% compliance with it, which in Revenue compliance terms is still actually very good, and suggesting something else entirely by highlighting words that support your view

Yet you are either unable or unwilling to post something that backs up your own claim about the LAs simply being inefficient at collecting it, rather than the legislation making it pi55 easy to just refuse to engage before drafting in revenue. I think I can rest my case to be honest.

And it was with that mistake that made it so easy to refuse to engage/pay the LPT, hence the need to get revenues involvement.

Thanks for at least acknowledging that, others are trying to pin the blame on the LAs who could only work with what they were given.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

This is one of your first contributions to this exchange complete with your opinion on why LPT was brought in and you've doubled down on that "haimes" opinion quite a few times. As I said it's just one opinion against another. We differ and that's life.

LAs have over €200m+ outstanding in rent, some of it for decades, up to 30% in business rates in some places, and up to half their parking fines. As they say they've got form.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭shirrup

You've misread my contribution so. I offered no opinion on why LPT was brought in. I only offered an opinion on why revenue was drafted in to enforce the collections.

It's right there where you quoted me.

The reason Revenue was brought in was because FG/Lab govt didn't cod enough fools with their "Free €100" registration sham for the then HHC, and because of a massive boycott of it

Thanks for acknowledging the actions of the populist misinformation politicians who caused the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

FF went from 71 seats in the 2007 GE to 20 seats in the 2011 GE. This is what Martin wants to rehabilitate.

Regards...jmcc

Don't think that he's quite that popular. RTE has him on programmes now and then but for most people, he reminds them of the old dodgy FF. Since FF got rid of Ahern, it has tried to reinvent itself. Bringing him back would undo all that hard work. The only possible benefit of having Ahern back for the next GE would be that the negativity about him would dominate the news cycle.

Others will remember the economic disaster of FF in government, the lost homes, the failed businesses and family members who had to emigrate. And there is probably a long list of people who committed suicide when their financial problems got too much for them. Martin was a member of Ahern's cabinet.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

He maintained popularity outside his own constituency from 2008 to 20014?

Utter nonsense.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,645 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It'll gain them headlines alright, just not good ones!

Amazing how out of touch with the public they still are.

Bertie running for president will crash and burn spectacularly and be yet another embarrassment for FF. How can they even entertain this idea?

Why on earth does anyone still vote FF...?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Ahern will never ever be forgiven by the electorate. FF just don't get it.

I'm struggling to remember when FF last did "get it", 1997 maybe, sheer arrogance and bloody-mindedness has been their modus operandi ever since. They think they have a divine right to govern, never mind be elected, never mind exist, in reality they have none of the above.

I would love to see that shower totally wiped out electorally once and for all.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

They came close in 2011 with former FFer Sean Gallagher. The next presidential election will be a problem for FFG and for Labour. On the current numbers, Labour is unlikely to retain Bacik's seat in Dublin Bay South. That means that they will probably try to get her nominated as a candidate. FG has a lack of talent but Mairead McGuinness might be an option. Not sure about SF. Ni Riada was very much an SF in transition candidate (changing from Gerry Adams as leader to Mary Lou McDonald as leader and repositioning SF in the centre of the political spectrum). Ahern is the gombeen's gombeen. The fact that he's even being rehabilitated like this shows a complete leadership failure in FF (as if Troy Story hasn't made this clear already). The media landscape is also quite different to when FF was able to get friendly coverage from presstitutes. Controlling the news cycle is not that easy as it was when FF was last in government. The reception Ahern may get from the public may not be the one FF wants and it could spill over and cause reelection problems for its current TDs.

Regards...jmcc

Fine Gael have never won a presidential election. Their candidate will not win the next one either.

Robinson only won because FF (Lenihan) screwed up. If Lenihan hadn't given that interview, he would have been president. Then again, Obama only became president because Star Trek Voyager's 7 of 9 had marriage problems. :)

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 34 maceoin.D.

"How can they even entertain this idea?"

I believe they know how unpopular the idea is, but they are desperate for somebody to fill the seat of the presidency to stop the other parties from gaining the power that would be needed to 'bring down the show', were they to somehow get in during the next GE. While the president isn't directly involved in the politics of the Dáil etc... they do have responsibilities that coincide with the Dáil and Seanad.

The President's powers include:

• Appointment of the Taoiseach, members of the Government, judges and other officials;
    • Summoning and dissolving the Dáil, and convening the Oireachtas;
    • Signing legislation into law and/or referring Bills to the Supreme Court;
    • Representing the people of Ireland;
    • Acting as Supreme Commander of the Defence Forces.

One thing that springs to mind from this list is MM recently calling for a rethinking of our neutrality. A president like Bertie could give FF more lease for statements such as those, and would ultimately hold the keys to make the changes happen.

They also could have an effect on bringing about another GE, seeing as they are losing popularity quickly for this upcoming one, this could be a sign that they are already hitting the panic button. During certain political events such as emergency elections (for example), the president is highly involved in the processes of the election. This is straight out of the statute book:

2. —(1) During the continuance of the present national emergency, the Taoiseach may, whenever he so thinks proper, advise the President to direct that a general election shall take place and, upon receipt of such advice, the President shall (save as is otherwise authorised by the next following sub-section of this section) direct by proclamation that a general election shall take place.

So, if Sinn Féin were to get in and form a coalition with FF for example (which I don't think is a good idea for SF personally), then they could potentially try and swing the tides back the other way. That might sound a bit far fetched, but I don't think they could turn this one around without something of that magnitude anyway.

Oh please. None of that is going to happen and even the most deluded FFer would not imagine holding the presidency would give them any real power.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 maceoin.D.

Never said it was going to happen to be clear, just that FF were panicking. It is implied that I wouldn't put it past them but you could say that about anything sure. What do you feel is the reason they would risk putting Bertie in for a presidential election?

What do you feel is the reason they would risk putting Bertie in for a presidential election?

Complete and utter delusion on their part is the only one I can think of 😉

Like I said above, they still think they have a divine right to be in power.

Looks like there's trouble over Finance and who gets to sit in the big chair.

And, of course, Varadkar is at the centre of it.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

lol promising the job before the other fella gets in. Cat amongst the pigeons.

Varadkar is just a liability to both FF and FG at this stage.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

This is like wishing to beat Kerry in an AIF. Sure it's the sweetest of sweet victories. But they may just win it. I'd rather they didn't get out of Munster.

Ahern being humiliated is not worth the potential of the awful vista of him in the Áras.

The rehabilitation attempt may finally see off FF. So again, part of me is here for it. But then again, I've seen this movie before.

Have to agree, at the watercooler this morning all the talk was about who gets to sit in the big chair............nobody talked about housing, or cost-of-living or any such nonsense.

Very embarrassing that the coalition of chaos did not agree this after the election. They had months of negotiations and these are key roles. To be negotiating it now in public is amateur hour but we're not one bit surprised, are we...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,031 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Ahern is a crook but he would still run rings around the caliber of FF today. Don't know why the party leadership would readmit him to the party.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I love how the health service gets caught out by winter every year. So unexpected.

The problem seems to be that Finance is part of the agreement and this is just Varadkar being Varadkar. Martin has been such a weak leader of FF that there may be an expectation that he'll just agree to FG keeping Finance. Even the Indo seems somewhat surprised at McGrath's smackdown of Varadkar.

Regards...jmcc

They want him as a president,with a push for border poll over next few years

British been briefing Irish offials behind scenes since mid August and have seemingly had to recatorgarise several areas to fudge results....we have reached a demographic tipping point and many softer unionist content creators been nudged towards the inevitable on social media,

with preliminary census results out tomorrow.....can't see SF agreeing to sit in an reelected stormont without clarity on what's needed to met criteria on a border poll

• Advertisement

Would seem FG want one rule for emselves....the fact they forced through Garda drivers for Coveney,would say to me,that FF lack ability to hold ground against em..

But FG are in such disarray,they can't handle an election at a time when country is likely facing rolling blackouts......if McGrath/Martin want this role,they can simply offer to go to country in place of getting it

Advertisement