Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - Part 3 - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,269 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I'd reply to this in detail but you'd probably report me.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

She got the seat the same way everyone gets their seat - by being elected by the voters.

You are basically just infantilising the entire electorate.

I have zero time for the Healy Raes and frankly most independents, but I'm not about to sit here and claim they are somehow not legitimately elected the same as everyone else.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Well her primary job is as a TD and it is up to the electorate to "fire" her.

I think it is often, though admittedly not always, difficult to judge whether a Minister is being bad at their job. Ultimately it is up to the Taoiseach (and in this case Tánaiste) to decide if they are fulfilling the role the government wants. Generally my boss would fire me, not someone from an adjacent department.

There is a difference between someone not doing what you want and doing something poorly. She has a lot to answer for for the riots and the (lack of) Garda presence. I don't, generally, think firing ministers for one-off events makes much sense. I don't love her Hate Crime bill, but that is different from her being bad at her job as that is clearly her bringing forward something the Government wants.

Edit: for what it is worth, I would have issues with the policing in Dublin and think there should be a much more visible presence. How much of that is down to McEntee, how much to the budget in general and how much to Harris I don't really know. I also appreciate that politicians need to take ultimate responsibility for things. I wouldn't object to her resigning, but I find these things pointless unless it reflects a change in approach. I also thing the motion of no confidence is just pointless political theatre.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,649 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I don't McEntee is doing a job and has neglected the everyday work of Justice which is the security of the citizens on the street. No one is going to care about the hate speech bill or what ever other bills she is putting through if the people of the country feel they are not safe on the streets.

Now I will admit I am not a fan of McEntee, I'm in her constituency but the part she doesn't visit or care about. I will say however that was she is reaping at the moment are the results of decisions taken by FG since coming into power like shutting down templemore and closing 130 garda stations. We have seen that these decisions have left people vulnerable in rural areas to gangs of burglers and allowed anti social gangs to grow in the city to the point that after a certain time in the evening its not safe to go to certain parts of the city especially the North Inner city.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,281 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Then let her be a TD - she should never have been given the Justice portfolio based on experience alone. There are so many much more important things she should be looking at - which she continues to utterly neglect.

• The guards and policing. Not just in Dublin
    • The judiciary,sentencing guidelines, prisons
    • Equal rights for fathers

etc etc

In her tenure as Justice Minister she has done very little that actually benefits anyone in the country. I wouldn't even blame her for the "riot", that was a systemic government failure. But she has basically gone all in on her hate speech bill that in its current format, no one really wants and would most likely not survive a legal challenge on constitutional grounds.

She wont step down, Leo wont remove her - so the circus continues.

If you compare this government to previous, you would be hard pushed to find worse ministers than Mcentee, O'Gorman, Foley etc.

• Advertisement

The FF TDs will be livid today when forced to back McEntee.

This was what they said back in August 2022.

---------------------

Fianna Fáil unhappy with Minister for Justice's 'failure' to tackle crime (breakingnews.ie)

A number of Fianna Fáil TDs have expressed dissatisfaction with Minister for Justice Helen McEntee over what they described as her “failure” to tackle crime in Dublin.

As the Irish Examiner reports, a number of Dublin TDs held a regular meeting on Tuesday, which consisted of Jim O'Callaghan, Paul McAuliffe, and John Lahart, as well as senator Mary Fitzpatrick.

One member said: “I wouldn’t go as far as saying we don’t have confidence in the minister, but it’s not far off it.

“If this was a Fianna Fáil minister, they’d be under a lot of pressure.

---------------------

This week it was this

Fianna Fáil TDs and senators say position of justice minister is ‘untenable’ | Independent.ie

Backbench Fianna Fáil TDs and senators have said Justice Minister Helen McEntee’s position is untenable after her handling of the Dublin riots, following increasing concern for safety in the capital.

Anger was rife in the party on Thursday night, especially among Dublin politicians, a number of whom said they could not believe Ms McEntee was still in place.

A number of TDs and senators, speaking privately, said her position was now untenable. One Fianna Fáil minister said she was “out of her depth”.

---------------------

Once this vote goes through, it will be the ultimate proof that they are the one party in all but name. The perception is already there.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,646 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

That seems to be a brave face put on another ill judged confidence motion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Maybe you can provide a source about her just getting a "sympathy vote"?

Also on the statement "McEntees are popular in Meath"? She got voted in so I expect she is popular but is this supposed to be a bad thing? should people get voted in who are unpopular?

Post edited by Clo-Clo on

A source for what exactly? It was pretty obvious at the time. Her father was the FG TD and committed suicide. She had no political experience but was selected unopposed by FG to stand in the by-election. The people of Meath voted her in out of sympathy. A source indeed. It's called analysis. What's your take on her election?

She got voted in the by election but has also got voted in two General Elections. That's a long sympathy vote.

Also you claimed they are popular in Meath yet she only gets in on a sympathy vote. That doesn't make any sense.

"analysis" is not something I would call it. Needless to say I didn't expect you to provide any source on this "analysis"

I don't see the need to make up nonsense to attack her when she is popular and got voted in for doing her job, complain about her as Minister for Justice but the rest is just internet noise.

• Advertisement

Blah Blah Blah.

Do you think she has performed well as a minister?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,877 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

The opposition are running out of things to complain about.

There is general acknowledgement that the health service is a black hole, permanent increases in funding as a result of Covid, but no progress in service despite all that funding remaining post-Covid.

On housing, we have record numbers of first-time buyers in Ireland now, something that won't we good for the opposition, and the record of opposition parties, particularly Sinn Fein, in opposing each and every major housing development does not survive any kind of scrutiny.

Worse, Sinn Fein have left themselves on the wrong side of populism on the immigration and justice issues. Trying to reinvent themselves as being supporters of the Gardai and against immigration is a joke.

Well it's a bit ridiculous to suggest someone got a sympathy vote in one by-election and two general elections, while at the same time posting they are popular in their area? that doesn't add up. Maybe the by-election but does anyone really believe that in two elections people are still voting based on sympathy?

You re right, most of the noise I see now is opposition supporters starting to finally figure out that everything is not adding up. Just look at Sinn Fein alternative budget and they want to speed up the rollout of renewable energy, yet for years now Green party have been hammered for moving the grid to renewables.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,877 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Didn't Sinn Fein want to bring in a distance rule from housing for wind energy a couple of years back, which would have ruled out practically every single possible site?

The Wind Turbine Regulation Bill was actually brought in during this Dail, so I believe what they do, not what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭poppers

Sinn Fein have been caught rejecting wind farms while at the same time releasing a document saying they will speed up the introduction of renewables including wind. If Sinn Fein or any of the opposition came up with a plan they would be dangerous

Still I expect a lot of people voting for independents etc come next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Im no shinner but I think they are doing themselves more harm than good in their pursuit of McEntee. How td’s can have faith in McE only they know, but the motion was defeated Mary Lou, drop it and move on.

I hope there is an opinion poll this weekend, should make for interesting reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,434 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Im no shinner but I think they are doing themselves more harm than good in their pursuit of McEntee. 

Especially IMO with the law-abiding middle-class voters they've been desperate to court. I reckon that's where they've been mainly losing out in recent times, rather than with the immigrant-phobic working classes.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,393 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I see Pascal is looking at the IMF job. Interesting they would want a finance minister from the country with one of the highest national debts per capita in the OECD.

Leo and Michael will jump to EU or UN after next election. Guaranteed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

Just out from my local post office and to see the amount of cash being handed over to Ukrainian family was astounding to witness.we are some country for to be taken for absolute mugs.thanks Leo,paschal and the rest of them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Anyone see the Michael Shellenberger video post on X earlier today. Christ this government are bringing some shame on the country. Ireland is becoming synonymous around the world with a backwards government intend on pushing through this outrageous Hate speech law. Every other post I see mentioning Ireland now is regarding Hate speech.

The good thing is the greatest free speech proponents around the globe are intent on stopping the thickest of thick Irish government from introducing this, not only to help the people of Ireland but to prevent this becoming commonplace with other more devious governments.

The dail monkeys cannot win this one, they'll be tied up in knots before they know it. Senior Hurling now lads as they say..Hopefully they haven't permanently destroyed our reputation on top of everything else they done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭howiya

Speaking of posts on X. Saw an interesting one today.

What does the "I secured" bit mean? Is sports funding still rife with political interference?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Haven’t you heard? Just over two years ago a number of them called to Putin in the Kremlin and begged him to invade Ukraine so that they could come to Ireland and claim benefits. I thought someone with your knowledge of world affairs would already know this.

Cool story. Is it true? doubt it

Especially when you consider most ukraine people coming in are given a PPS and account when they arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

I saw it with my own eyes.believe it if u want but I saw it.but sure I’m probably a far right nutter.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,646 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Why was an entire family in the post office (multiple adults?) getting an amount of cash greater than the jobseekers allowance as you seem to be implying? Start being specific.

Post edited by astrofool on

Nobody called you a far right nutter

But I find the majority of times these "stories" told on the internet turn out to be bulls**t. Odds are not stacked with you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

You don’t have to be far right to be a nutter.

• Advertisement

Honestly people will trawl the web to find something to complain about no matter what the story is about

Advertisement