Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - Part 3 - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,529 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Are they running candidates in Galway?

I'm Galway East myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,130 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

They ran a good candidate in Galway West in last 2 elections. Niall O'Tuathail. I knew him in work circles and he is an honest, intelligent man. IT professional, better than the usual gombeens. Not sure if he is still running.

Don't know about SD in Galway East.

Post edited by Cluedo Monopoly on

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,326 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

His general thesis seems to be Green seats in Dublin are on a knife edge and the rest are write-offs. Catherine Martin possibly the only truly safe one thanks to an extra seat in her constituency...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭tom23

I’d rather vote for Fine Gael than give this party a vote. Delusional.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

I watched The week in Politics earlier today. It featured Europe and was an eye opener for me. I don’t know who chooses the panel, but Grace O’Sullivan was on representing the greens. I heard her earlier in the week on the radio, & she really is doing Ryan’s objective no favours. Stutters & hums her way through answering questions, just like she did on the radio.

The panel consisted of 5 MEP’s and one was a SF guy named McManus. This guy is representing me ( Midlands/NW ), but I have never seen or heard of him before. Another was Clair Daly who I think is an embarrassment to all things Irish ( her stance on Ukraine ).

My point is why are these people being paid to represent us. At least GO’S I have heard of before, the bloke representing me - unknown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭tom23

Yeah the state of some politicians alright. I think it's universal the dislike for Daly and her Buffon of a pal. I'll vote for any party that has immigration control as their number 1 priority. Don't think any party can solve it though its simply wishful thinking. The country is Donald Ducked.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,655 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Dublin West is now a five-seater. O'Gorman is very popular in the area, wouldn't rule him out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭Augme

Yea, certainly couldn't rule him out. Those final two second will likely be fought between a second SF TD, Coppinger and O'Gorman. At this point one would jave to price the second SF TD as the leat likely to make it in.

Alan Dillon has come out strong on the RTE fiasco where other FG TDs were making zero comments over recent days. He needed to because he is on both committees.

How will the government get citizens to pay their license fees now?? It's the new water charge and the public do not like paying for corruption.

Coveney was essentially given the license fees from 1,250 citizens (approx, exact figure unknown)

Minister tells RTÉ DG of her 'concern' over exit packages

Earlier, chair of the Fine Gael parliamentary party Alan Dillon said RTÉ needs to publish the names of every senior executive who received an exit package since 2016 and the amount they received.

The Mayo TD, who sits on both the Oireachtas Committee on Media and the Dáil Public Accounts Committee, said this level of transparency was "crucial" in the context of any future funding from the Government.

Speaking on RTÉ's Today with Claire Byrne, he said that Mr Bakhurst cannot continue to argue that legal constraints prevent him from releasing the information.

"RTÉ needs to realise that this issue is certainly not going to go away until all details are published," he said.

"The station has dragged its heels throughout 2023 in relation to the drip feed of information, and its future credibility is at stake."

Quite possible that Emer Currie with a strong local profile could take a seat, or even John Walshe as the Labour candidate. Every party has suddenly become more engaged locally after the extra seat was announced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭Augme

Given the result from the previous election it will take a minor miracle for Emer Currie to get a seat, or else for Leo not to run. The labour candidate might get it, he won't have the drink that Burton had on her so that will help. You'd think the SDs should be focusing on this area as well but previous candidate really struggled last time out.

Catherine Martin is really struggling in government. To think many said she would be a better leader than sleepy Ryan.

If a party is to take two seats there, they will have to manage the vote to split it well and take the fourth and fifth seats. Easier done with two recognised candidates, so FG have a slight advantage in that regard, their disadvantage is in respect of the vote the last time out.

If Ruth gets going, and takes back some votes from SF, she could take the fifth seats, or in falling short, gift two to FG. With four seats, the equation was simple O'Gorman versus second SF for the last seat. The additional seat gives fight to more candidates, messing the pitch up for everyone.

In 2011 Fine Gael produced the New Politics document. It said a lot of things including

"The fundamental goal of Fine Gael’s New Politics is to build a New Republic where the peoples’ concerns are placed at the centre of government. In a Republic, the people are supposed to be supreme. Judged by that simple standard, Ireland today is a Republic in name only. The expressions “Golden Circle”, “Crony Government” and “Cosy Capitalism” all describe the same thing: The abduction of our Republic by both public and private sector vested interests, aided and abetted by the present Government."

"Fine Gael will overhaul Ireland’s corporate governance regime. It is clear that massive failures of corporate governance in both the private sector and in key State bodies, such as FAS and the Dublin Docklands Development Authority (DDDA), contributed hugely to Ireland’s economic crisis and seriously damaged our international reputation. We will also ensure that senior executives of State bodies do not receive so-called “golden handshake” when they leave a job because of failures in their performance"

All nonsense. All lies. Zero reform. RTE is just the latest.

And yet people are being brought to court for non payment of their tv licence.

ONLY IN IRELAND.

Well they won't get another red cent from me until Coveney gives me back all the license fees that he stole in his resignation package.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It's not only in Ireland for whatever that is worth.

Ye cannot wait to pay for incompetence and corruption. Sad.

Can I ask you why you hope they get a move on here?

Post edited by WishUWereHere on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Government supporters, governing party insiders have to make sure pravda RTE stays the course to ensure softsoap coverage of the most inept disastrous government probably ever.

And that is saying something when we look at past governments.

That is also why there is effectively a witch hunt on at moment for Gript.

Gript might have incorrectly pointed to some Algerian guy wrongly as child attacker, but that is not what some care about.

They couldn't care less about some Algerian lad, they care that Gript has become a thorn in their side, that they ask inconvenient questions on ministers/leaders, that they unsettle the cosy applecart between MSM and politicians in this country where there is mutual backscratching going on.

RTE are very much part of that.

Yeah they will try score points against them in oireachtas committees but that is really mickie waving.

They want to humble RTE, but in no way do they want to destroy it.

They need it, if it is even more compliant all the better.

The alternative is scarier.

Why would they want media that ask them hard questions on why they have wasted billions on hospital that is no where near finished, on importing refugees pets, on housing foreign lads with no identification in 3 star hotels and destroying our indigenous tourist industry, on attracting refugees from other EU countries with full social welfare, on running referendums on stuff the vast majority of citizens do not want.

I am not allowed discuss …

Interesting take jmayo. I never thought about it like that. You are probably right.

They did have RTE exactly where they wanted them when Coveney was Director of Strategy.

Same craic for the water charges. The compliant wanted those folks that refused to pay for corruption/waste/cronyism to be in front of the courts or to have their water reduced to a trickle. Only for those protesters, I am convinced Irish Water would now be privatised.

I’d agree on the IW. Crazy bullying tactics of Hogan. Wonder where he is these days.

Playing golf with all the friends he gave lucrative deals to during his days as a minister/commissioner.

Latest opinion poll

just wonder just how low can the greens go, a % less than labour is really saying something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Blut2

"The number of parents reducing their food intake to ensure their children have enough to eat has increased by 12% since last year, according to Barnardos.

It found that 41% of parents have said they had skipped meals or reduced portion sizes to enable their children to have food.

Almost one quarter (24%) have had to borrow money to feed a child in the last year, up from 16% in October 2022 and 11% in January 2022."

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2024/0227/1434595-food-survey/

Interesting stats from today for the "this government is doing great, we've never had it so good" posters in this thread. These are pretty horrifying figures for one of the richest countries in the world with a massive revenue surplus.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

IN reality reducing portion size not not be the worst thing for irish people

Before you go nuts this is tongue in cheek comment but we are massively overweight population

Who is posting by the way  "this government is doing great, we've never had it so good"?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

You do realise most people in Ireland have never heard of Gript or give a sh*t about Gript?

In terms of a "witch hunt" this is been generated online by Gript and some people are lapping it up.

You do also realise the whole Gript move into the media circuit has more to do with the John McGuirk v Paddy Cosgrove battle which has gone on for years now. Nothing to do with the government at all.

It's a couple of guys who have seen the success of the like of GB News and thinks they will make a few quid off it. Best of luck to them but trying to say a "witch hunt" or whatever term they have come up with is just giving them free advertisement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

It is marvellous though how many posters who would happen to be pro current administration (and their parties) as the ones very quick to drown out negative comments on the new childrens hospital, are quick to chime in on attacks on shinners, are backers of the insanity around asylum seekers, IPAs, refugees, have been recently bitching quite a lot about Gript.

For such a small insignificant organisation they really do seem to engage the chattering classes, the party faithful, the NGO trough feeders.

And they have now reached such a position that ministers and our party leaders effectively appear to run away from their questions.

No need to give explanation about press conferences over, bad mics, etc etc.

As the old saying goes "When you are having to explain you are losing."

I am not allowed discuss …

Advertisement