Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - Part 3 - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

costacorta wrote: »
    Is it Brian Stanley ?? I haven’t heard of him since his drivelling apology and tearful eyes a couple of months ago ? Maybe I have the wrong man ?

Who??

The current minister is Charlie McConalogue.

We were told that it was madness to fire the previous 2 ministers (M Martin was a temporary one) because they would be up the walls after Brexit. Seemingly not, he is not to be heard.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

McConalogue is going a good job. Doesn’t feature much in the outrage pits of social media.

McConalogue is going a good job. Doesn’t feature much in the outrage pits of social media.

They're all doing a great job.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭Floppybits

What world is the Government living in when they thing that a cap of 450K for a house in the Dublin city is affordable? Talk about being out of touch.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0504/1213571-politics/

This is the RTE headline the day the government roll out their new housing strategy.

https://www.rte.ie/news/primetime/2021/0504/1213801-mullen-park-investors-first-time-buyers-property-housing-estate/
    'Locked out' - first-time buyers gazumped by investors
    Local TD Catherine Murphy told Prime Time that her constituents are "absolutely enraged."

She said there is significant demand in the local area from first-time buyers who can’t compete with institutional investors.

"We have to take the financial advantage away that has been given to the international investment funds. That has to happen. And it could happen very quickly if there was a political will to do it."

• Advertisement

This is the RTE headline the day the government roll out their new housing strategy.

https://www.rte.ie/news/primetime/2021/0504/1213801-mullen-park-investors-first-time-buyers-property-housing-estate/

The housing strategy is a shambles. Absolute shambles.

Floppybits wrote: »

It looks to be badly thought out - a tick-the-box effort in advance of the next election.

It looks to be badly thought out - a tick-the-box effort in advance of the next election.

All it has done is angered people even more with the government and underlined the believe that the government don't give a crap about the people of the country.

I wonder what Dara thinks now. Dara??

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-30918711.html
    The Government has been accused of being “on the side of cuckoo funds” rather than struggling families who are trying to find homes.

During Leaders’ Questions in the Dáil, Fianna Fáil deputy leader Dara Calleary referenced revelations that 295 homes in Leopardstown, Co Dublin, have been bought by an “institutional investor”.

Mr Calleary claimed “up to 3,000 homes” have been purchased by professional landlords in the past year alone and said hard-working families are effectively being locked out of the property market.

“It’s clear Fine Gael is on the side of the cuckoo funds on this one,” he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

How is this story relevant to the new proposals?

• Advertisement

Which measures, specifically?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Which measures, specifically?

One that classes an affordable home as €400k for starters.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    One that classes an affordable home as €400k for starters.

That's not what it says though, right? Its an upper cap rate for Dublin and DLR not the whole country.
    The cap for other locations is more like 250k

Got agreement from stakeholders on the TB forum which was a good first outing. €80million of farmers and taxpayers money at stake there.
    Commodity prices are high at the moment which is helping him to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

That's not what it says though, right? Its an upper cap rate for Dublin and DLR not the whole country.
    The cap for other locations is more like 250k

According to all media quotes across the broadest spectrum it does.From political commentators to various economic spokespersons all headlining with the top figure.

Got agreement from stakeholders on the TB forum which was a good first outing. €80million of farmers and taxpayers money at stake there.
    Commodity prices are high at the moment which is helping him to be fair.

I am not sure how to take you seriously anymore given your random number generation abilities. I never did check that final country you had ;)

What struck me as peculiar are the low numbers of houses involved?
    I mean what's wrong with building 10,000 houses in a year on public lands for 200,000 a piece
    That's just 2 billion, a fraction of what's spent on the pandemic payments
    Just borrow the money, charge a fair rent to buy a month, clear off the current living in hotels list and be done with it
    Not rocket science

I mean what's wrong with building 10,000 houses in a year on public lands for 200,000 a piece
    Just borrow the money, charge a fair rent to buy a month, clear off the current living in hotels list and be done with it
    Not rocket science

Then why are the government insisting on going down this route then? What you have said above seems perfectly reasonable to me and something that I would agree with and support but there is no way that what was released yesterday will be supported. I can see a U-turn coming on it. I also heard Leo Varadkar saying that they need to do something to stop vulture funds buying up all the houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Then why are the government insisting on going down this route then? What you have said above seems perfectly reasonable to me and something that I would agree with and support but there is no way that what was released yesterday will be supported. I can see a U-turn coming on it. I also heard Leo Varadkar saying that they need to do something to stop vulture funds buying up all the houses.

Wasn't Leo pulled on this either during the televised debates, or on the radio with Pat Kenny or someone.

He basically tried to downplay and muddy the waters ref vulture funds claiming they represented a tiny margin percentage wise of what properties they were buying.

Leo had to be corrected that basically when an investment fund buy a block of apartments, or a complete estate, it gets counted as the one transaction, i.e a vulture funds company buying one apartment complex with 350 apts gets recorded the same as a couple buying a semi detached in Ashbourne.

He wasn't too impressed about being pulled on it if my memory serves me correctly.

McMurphy wrote: »
    Wasn't Leo pulled on this either during the televised debates, or on the radio with Pat Kenny or someone.

He basically tried to downplay and muddy the waters ref vulture funds claiming they represented a tiny margin percentage wise of what properties they were buying.

Leo had to be corrected that basically when an investment fund buy a block of apartments, or a complete estate, it gets counted as the one transaction, i.e a vulture funds company buying one apartment complex with 350 apts gets recorded the same as a couple buying a semi detached in Ashbourne.

He wasn't too impressed about being pulled on it if my memory serves me correctly.

Looks like the headlines over the last few days of vulture funds buying up housing estates before individual buyers have a chance to buy may have forced a change.

• Advertisement

I am not sure how to take you seriously anymore given your random number generation abilities. I never did check that final country you had ;)

Austria? Check the ECDC (Austria is in Europe)

TB forum did reach agreement.

Not rocket science

What will you build for 200k?

Fann Linn wrote: »
    From the head of a real estate lobby? Really.

Is private enterprise precluded from the housing debate?

24x in Spain
    15x in Finland
    20x in Czechia
    22x in Portugal
    32x in France
    Irelands health system as measured by morbidity and mortality, coped very well. In relative terms.

It was the Czech Republic Finty - don't be trying to pull the wool over my eyes...it doesn't work ;)

It was the Czech Republic Finty - don't be trying to pull the wool over my eyes...it doesn't work ;)

The Czech Republic. It was the Czech Republic. Huzzah.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Shebean

Is private enterprise precluded from the housing debate?

They certainly should be. Unless you know a private profit driven enterprise that puts the public well being above shareholder profits?

What will you build for 200k?

A house
    Free site value,public land

• Advertisement

Government dept's/high earning civil servants generally mire sensible proposals into the ground and you end up with what we have been offered
    It always happens to manifesto's versus programmes no matter who governs
    It was ever thus

Advertisement