Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FF/FG/Green Government - Part 3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

I think now is the perfect time to push the country on viable alternatives rather than taxing and banning.

But like the wasted opportunity after the last crash to overhaul health and 'the way we do business', they'll not bother their barney.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,220 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Other than natural gas to make up the energy shortfall from unreliable wind and solar we do not have any other green viable alternatives and we are not going to have for years to come.

Attempting to ban LNG and hand-sitting by Ryan on Barryroe is reckless insanity. Looking to the E.U. for permission to lower VAT rates on fuels, while ploughing ahead increasing carbon taxes on the same fuels defies logic as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,175 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

How the power swap do coalition succinctly put.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭jmcc

Martin had better watch out as some of the FFers seem to be rediscovering what it means to be FF (rather than being grovelling FG wannabes like Martin) and are sharpening their knives. FF doesn't want another 2011 and this might be a good way for FF to gain rural votes while using the turf war as a point of principle.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,641 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Priceless. The Greens must be seething at their treatment.

They won't bring down the government though. Not with their seats at high risk. I hope not anyway!

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,024 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Some great headlines this morning, would love to have been in on those meetings with ER yesterday.

I'd doubt this will go as far as government collapse but clearly Rural FFG TD'S RATTLED.

Curious as to what ER next move will be, will he or won't he stick to his guns and reign in all those Rural outlaws, has the making of an epic western 😁

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,418 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Sustainable development is about ending the one-off housing blight that this country is mired in.

Of course, public transport in rural Ireland is practically non-existent, because most of the settlement in rural Ireland is unsustainable.

In your dreams, didn't you have FF walking a few months ago, and FG before that. This government has been over many times if I am to go back through this thread, yet here it still is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,127 ✭✭✭timmyntc

On the one hand the greens want sustainable development, density in towns and villages, which are a fair point.

On the other they envision us all growing our own food and veg in our gardens. The two do not exactly go hand in hand. Planning guidelines are an issue for minister for housing anyways, so greens have 0 power to bring in any in this government really.

• Advertisement

Your idea of sustainable development being that of the Khmer Rouge policy in reverse order says all that needs to be said on your so obvious disdain for anything rural.

Now that you have jumped into the green corner, you would be as well staying there. With the reaction of the FG parliamentary party to Ryan`s latest nonsense I cannot see them being too pushed about your going.

The first one is a reference to future development.

The second one is an attempt to deal with the current status quo.

The two are different. As for the planning guidelines, they are a matter for government and the Programme for Government.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,175 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

'Itching to walk' never for a second means he is brave enough to stand by his principles.

He'll back down and cover his blushes with moral high ground bluster.

Since 2007, when I voted for the Greens for the first time, I have only voted once for FG in GE 2011, as a response to the Greens going into government with FF. Every other election, I have voted Green.

Your constant characterisation of me as a FG supporter is factually wrong and more a reflection on the poverty of your responses that you keep having to deflect to that personal attack. Not really interested in getting any further into it with you.

Very surprised that FF let FG steal a march on them on the turf issue. They would have traditionally been seen as the party that represented the small farmers who are more likely to be cutting turf than the large farmers who would traditionally have been seen as FG voters. Especially strange as if they look back just 11 years to 2011, without their rural votes they would have been totally wiped out.

I suspect that a few in FF with leadership ideas were hoping to cruise through until Martin hands over the post of Taoiseach and that he would then decide to stand down as leader. If he doesn`t sort this out to the satisfaction of his backbenchers then it`s a decision he may not have to spend time thinking about. It will be made for him.

You only voted for FG in 2011 and not since. If you say so blanch, but I have been only on Boards.ie since 2014 and I gotta tell ya from other threads I have come across you in the interim that was not the impression I, or indeed quite a few other got, and expressed. Especially in the lead up to subsequent general elections and their aftermath.

Well, you haven't been reading my posts very closely, because I have been 100% clear on that at all times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Is there anything left for this Government to do except call it a day?

It seems that everything is an effing shambles. Not one area seems to have improved or even seems to be doing well with this lot in charge. They are barely able to keep themselves in order. FG undermining everyone, the leader with a criminal investigation to his name, Martin telling us that they are learning lessons, and Eamonn Ryan finding out what it really means when people told him he was only there to make up the numbers. The minister for Justice accidentally taking payments that amount to hundreds well over the allowed amount and money being found and spent where there wasn't a fraction of the amount to be found when it was needed before.

God love whoever takes over this mess.

• Advertisement

From memory blanch I was not the only one. There were more than a few who were confused over the years as to your political allegiance.

I imagine even for green supporters there still are with you being opposed to the Irish green party attempts to ban LNG, ignore Barryroe and their position on exploration licenses. Three issues at the very heart of their ideology.

Other than the Irish green being a handy vehicle for your disdain of all things rural their does not seem to be much you support them on. One that you do appear to support them on, and it being rural related no surprise there, is the issue of turf. From your expressed expertise on all things legal over numerous threads, perhaps you could explain what the green party have yet failed to do on their latest madcap idea.

How can a proposed bill be even worded where it would be legal to gift or sell turf within a community of 500 or less, yet it would be illegal to do so for anyone living in a community of 501. Or indeed before you even get to that stage, how would you determine the population of a particular community and map its borders ?

Martin claiming the lack of affordable rentals around the country relates to the influx of Ukrainian refugees.

Like it only began two months ago. Absolutely shameless.

You are kidding, did he seriously say that, mother of God, aside from the influx is he seriously suggesting this is something new, the man is completely out of touch with reality 😳

Just heard on the news. He was very dramatic. He went on to say we shouldn't be looking at helping one group (irish) but all groups. I get that, but trying to blame it on the Ukraine invasion is some cheek.

I'm gobsmacked, is he aware who opened the flood gates but more importantly there's been feck all private rentals done for Ukrainians, the majority are in hotels , this is just extraordinary.

• Advertisement

They are all the one issue around natural gas, and the difference is nuance not major, in that I think we need it strategically for a few more years.

I have other differences with them, but the fundamental point is that climate change is the biggest challenge we face, and they are the only ones taking it seriously.

I could say that I see little difference between your policy positions and Sinn Fein's but you would robustly deny it and probably report me. The reality is that there is no political party that matches my views, the Greens are the closest, and the policies I most disagree with, around economic policy, are held in check if they are in coalition with FF or FG.

https://www.oecdbetterlifeindex.org/#/11111111111

Look at the country report for Ireland

"Ireland performs well in many dimensions of well-being relative to other countries in the Better Life Index. Ireland outperforms the average in jobs, education, health, social connections, safety and life satisfaction."

"In Ireland, households on average spend 21% of their gross adjusted disposable income on keeping a roof over their heads, broadly in line with the OECD average of 20%."

"In Ireland, the average home contains 2.1 rooms per person, more than the OECD average of 1.7 rooms per person. In terms of basic facilities, nearly every dwelling (99.8%) in Ireland contains private access to an indoor flushing toilet, more than the OECD average of 97%."

There is your anecdotal perception and there is the reality that life is good for most people in Ireland.

Have I now to detail all the preference votes I have given over the years? What an personalised idiotic approach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,960 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Does anyone else find it galling that a school teacher Martin is still learning lessons?

We can only assume he doesn't care. He was asked about the lack of affordable rentals and he cited the crisis in Ukraine. So he's either unaware or doesn't care.

• Advertisement

Well for starters as I have told you on numerous threads I have never voted for Sinn Fein because of their economic policies but at this stage from looking at the alternatives I certainly would not rule them out next time around. Whether you wish to believe that or not is of complete indifference to me.

It is only nuance that the Irish greens have banned all prospecting licenses (bizarrely other than for gold and silver) are attempting to ban LNG and are stonewalling on Barrtroe when we have our own regulator saying our present source of gas is unsecure in the middle of a European crisis that is causing a gas shortage and to you that is only a nuance! You really do post some terrible rubbish.

From memory you didn`t agree with their policy on water charges and now you do not agree with their economic policies either. Other than them being a handy vehicle for your disdain for all things rural, it is difficult to see what you do agree with them on.

No mention of your sharing your self claimed expertise on all things legal on wording a bill which would make it legal to gift or sell turf in a community of 500 people or less, where it would be illegal to do so for a community of 501. Or even how such communities could be defined and mapped for the purpose ?

Take your time, while I am eager to hear, I`m in no rush.

Sounds like Both , just astonishing. If there's not a backlash over those silly comments, I'd be shocked, imagine people looking for rental property, paying absorbant rents listening to that shyte , it's just beggar's belief .He knew exactly what he was saying also by throwing in the "we shouldn't be helping one group" comment. It's as if this government is actually and deliberately trying to infuriate people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

What?

None of that refers to the current mess that the government has created and is in.

The bolded parts....

On average 21% goes to keeping a roof over their heads? I would not be surprised to find out it was higher than that, but in any case, that's average.

2.1 rooms per person, - you are highlighting/quoting housing as a good thing in Ireland? Really?

Indoor flushing toilets? 🤯

WTF nonsense.

As mentioned, nothing there is really relevant at all to the current mess.

The angle is likely to accuse anyone complaining about housing to be against helping refugees. We'd one lad on here saying complaining about it was the same as killing them. This is the dishonest yarnage we have to put up with.

4m 50 sec

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,127 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Those stats have been widely criticised on boards before, the rooms per person metric is very questionable too. I believe it turned out irish rooms are far smaller than average for starters.

As for things like average disposable income spent on housing, people living at home with their parents because they cant afford/cant find a place to rent are paying 0, and older people with low/no mortgages skew stats similarly. Median average would give a better idea, but OECD metrics for that do not give a median average.

Blanch could get a run out on the govt spin team

Later on in that show , Tom Parland from the CIF interviewed and painted a very Grim picture affecting major public infrastructure projects, essentially saying if current contracts are not renegotiated , civil engineering firms facing ruin or will have to pull out due to increased costs, he also said none of his members will even tender for new fixed priced contracts such is the uncertainty.

This an absolute mess but of course , Minister understands the CIF's concerns and looking into how existing contracts can be looked at. We know what that means, add another few €100 million onto projects like the new children's hospital 🙄

O Dear, getting very serious

If there was ever a picture of smugness, the picture on the article is it, not sure if watt is also showing his two fingers along with his now infamous contemptuous stare.

Donnelly refusing and the usual party mouth pieces staying away tells us all we need to know. Maybe Watt knows were all the special envoy positions are buried?

It's been an extraordinarily bad week and it's only Wednesday 😏 I see MM has ruled out ban of the sale of Turf for the rest of the year, how gracious of him, Kick the problem down the road 🙄, interesting it's him making that statement and not ER.

• Advertisement

It makes it an FG problem then as he will have fecked off out of the half-taoiseach position in December.

Regards...jmcc

Indeed but there's as many FG TD'S kicking up over this as FF TD'S.

Leo's escaped to the US 😁

FF and FG TDs expect to get one hell of a kicking at the ballot box over this and it might be the end of their snouts in the public trough for many of them. They probably still have nightmares about the Water Tax.

Regards...jmcc

In all fairness I would not hold it too much against him for lobbing that ball of trouble back to FG and Varadkar with all the attempts at undermining that have been going on.

I imagine he must be delighted with Martin sending that hospital pass on turf his way. 😅

Yep. He may have more to worry about with FF backbenchers plotting to replace him before then. The FF ministers who lost their jobs while those FGers involved with Zapponegate did not may still be a sore point with some FFers.

Regards...jmcc

The lot of them are flummoxed on the issue, what I find extraordinary is both FFG have large amount of rural TDs and their reactions were predictable.

ER knows nothing about rural politics, however there is I believe at least one green junior minister who's rural (carlow based) , Councillors and a few senators (Including one who's particularly potty) , did none of them whisper in ER ear and explain what will happen if they touch Turf.

I don't for a second believe the nonsense about missing words in the response to PQ or the "Not intended" BS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

It was only yesterday someone post an article from FG website in 2019 when they had a plan to roll out the turf ban. FF also had a plan to ban turf but more quickly

The Greens have come in and said they want to ban but it is delayed.

Now maybe I am missing something here, all of the parties in government have said they want to ban turf. So why of why do we have so many posts about the turf ban and what the government parties want to do on it?

I will let you into a secret, they want to ban it. The discussion now is when, not if.....

• Advertisement

They wanted Water Charges Too, How did that End 😉

Advertisement