Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FF/FG/Green Government - Part 3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

Questions aren't accusations. I see you dodged anyway. Making brash statements and refusing to engage is not great discussion.

I think you are imagining what you are reading again. The turf ban is as likely as water charges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,482 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Kenny was leagues ahead of current FG in both style and delivery. He was actually a decent Taoiseach, much better and more engaged with the grass roots than what replaced him. FG had over 70 seats with Kenny. They’re now less than half that size and will collapse down to about 20 I’d guess next time. The results speak for themselves really

• Registered Users Posts: 15,220 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

O`Callaghan I have no doubt would have made a good Minister for Justice, but as a party leader he has always struck me as someone who would create more divisions than someone that would provide a sense of unity of purpose. Far as I remember he only jut took the last seat in Dublin Bay South, but then again if he was a party leader I would imagine that alone would increase his vote and a Dublin leader of the party would not do FF any harm.As it is their Dublin vote has dropped off dramatically.

Calleary I cannot see being in the hunt Eamon O`Cuiv I actually know somewhat through his interaction with my wife and her job. Nice fella and a very hard constituency worker. Bit of the old style FF republican ethos about him but probably suffers from being compared to his grandfather. I doubt if he was even offered the job he would take it at this stage of his career. He has backed O`Callaghan in the past for the job though. McGrath could make an ok leader. Good on economics, but maybe lacking a bit of that bite that would be needed. I would still keep an eye on Cowan though, as you say, if he is not going to get it, then there is every chance he would be the kingmaker for whoever does.

That hand movement from Martin is really creepy. It`s like a rat at a window.

Ocuiv is too stuck in the past, terrible image in todays social media age (some may argue that’s a good thing but not for him).

cowen all the way for me- relatively young, energetic, finger on the pulse of outside the south Dublin “elite”. Cuts straight to the point- would be a welcome change to have some one with a bit of substance and conviction again

If the Green party had a 5% showing in opinion polls right now they would be over the moon.

Like pretty much everything the devil is in the detail.There are a lot of sitting government T.D.s in constituencies where even a swing against them in the 5%-10% range would cost them their seats. A swing in the higher ranges would be a massacre for either or both FF and FG. If you believe any FF or FG T.D is going to chance losing their seat to save Ryan and the greens embarrassment, then I`m afraid you know very little about politics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭jmcc

O'Cuiv is too old but he appeals to older voters and a lot of FF's support comes from those demographics. He's also a very able politician. Cowen is a fighter and is probably a lot smarter politically than his brother but his brother is probably the reason why it would be difficult for him to be leader. O'Callaghan is a high-risk choice because FF could find itself in the position of the new party leader losing his seat in the next GE if there's a loss in FF support. McGrath could be a safer choice. FF isn't exactly spoiled for choice when it comes to leadership candidates.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

Haven't heard much of this on RTE or VM, disgraceful from a biased media who we know if it was a certain party, there would be a primetime special and would be on every radio slot. Awaits people ready to defend FG, maybe they're just anti women with their treatment of Kate O'Connell a reminder of this.

Delete

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Every discussion it is the same, you lying about the contents of a post, then some accusation to get a reaction with a snide comment thrown in. Round and round we go again, day in day out. If you ever added anything to the conversation I would fall off my seat.

As I said, round and round we go, back to the RIC event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,171 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

True. The silence on here tells you once and for all the concerns were never about the 'victims'

• Advertisement

Why don't you just scroll past comments not directed to you? In fact why do you avoid comments and questions addressed directly to you and then get upset at ones not directed at you at all? You breezed right past a question I asked you yesterday.

Weird.

Weird that you repeat the RIC event every few days....

So much for a discussion about politics and current affairs. Just the same thing repeated ad nauseam

Why do you exaggerate all the time? A quick search shows that the last time I mentioned the Black and Tans on this thread was Dec 2020.

Really does you no favours.

Why don't you concentrate on trying to get us to discuss 'certain other parties' rather than the government?

Alternatively you could supply the back up you were asked for yesterday for a statement you made.

Rubbish, the search function doesn't work as you are aware, I only joined in January and this was already discussed at least once since Feb on this thread. It is fired up constantly by you as if it is a new topic.

Like the spreadsheet which you knew nothing about, then you knew about it but never seen, then you seen but it was nothing. Your credibility is shot to pieces

Well back up your contention, show me were I 'mention the RIC every few days'?

The search function works fine BTW I found the spreadsheet you were lying about, using it. The spreadsheet you claimed that was produced by SF to 'hound TD's' and never backed up either.

I made a comment regarding another post. You replied trying to take the piss. Now you're upset because you look foolish.

You'll not quote these lies nor report these snide comments because you made them up.

I see we're all called liars today. Grand.

At least it proves every single person who uses women by pretending to be outraged on their behalf, is full of it and only interested if it suits their agenda.

McGrath would be the safe pair of hands, but I have a feeling FF is fed up with Martin`s "rolling on his back to have his belly tickled" style of leadership and are looking for a more confrontational style leader. O`Callaghan would certainly fit that role and being Dublin based would also raise their profile in Dublin. The problem for O`Callaghan as you say is that he could possibly lose his seat come a GE and that rural T.D.s after this latest debacle on turf might have had enough of Urban leaders. Far as I know O`Cuiv has backed O`Callaghan in the past, so that would probably negate some of that. Cowan is a tough hard edged street fighting type which after Martin could appeal to many of them. His brother would be a drawback but not an insurmountable one imo, and would probably have more grassroots appeal than O`Callaghan, but with FF leadership contest voting, as far as I know, confined to their parliamentary party that would be of no help too him.

As you say, FF are not exactly spoiled for choice, so if it comes to a head to head I could see it coming down to O`Callaghan or Cowan. As you said earlier, Cowan has a bit of that kingmaker about him, and the smart move for both would be Cowan getting behind O`Callaghan and having the pick of whatever posts might be up for grabs in the future, as well as them having a leader that is untainted, even by association to the financial crash. For that to happen though O`Callaghan we need to up his profile. Especially in his own constituency.

Just on your mention earlier of Enda Kenny. I have a friend who is a good friend of Kenny`s and was in his company a few times. Away from politics he was/is likeable and very good and entertaining company, but he was regarded as a a bit of disaster constituency wise. He was a survivor though and probably the luckiest man ever to make Taoiseach. He had the right people behind him when the stars lined up and rode that to the end. Even managing to do what no other FG leader had achieved, elected as Taoiseach for back to back terms. There was much I did not like about that 2011-2016 government, but in all fairness not a lot of it I would lay at Kenny`s door.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,746 ✭✭✭Floppybits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,024 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Ah boo fcukin hoo- hopefully she gets some more maternity leave very soon- permanently

Ws she the first working woman in Ireland to have a child or something?

Theres clearly a major PR agency pushing her with these endless stories about her baby, maternity leave, being a “working” mother etc. We never hear about her salary or associated benefits that we all pay for. This clown clearly has designs on being Taoiseach and for some completely unknown reason is being groomed for it. I can’t imagine a person less equipped intellectually for the job.

Despite her obvious lacking in ability there’s no personal qualities here either to overcome that (think Bertie ahern) as She has no real charisma. All the personality and enthusiasm of stale cream crackers far as I can make out. Unless there’s something I’ve missed?

Post edited by road_high on

Just watching Saturday with Katie Hannon, Josepha Madigan on and my god she's all over the place.

Up shortly, that FG resignation and the Homeless situation.

Back in my FG supporting days I used to rate Joe-hobnob quite highly. She seems to have gone completely off the boil lately, another box ticking woke ideologue with nothing or innovative or new to add to anything. Still streets ahead of Mcentee but that wouldn’t be hard.

Yes her approach is to interrupt and deflect but in fairness, Colm Brohy is the expert in that field whilst throwing in some santacomy and patronising BS.

They didn't get to the FG resignation unfortunately, got a bit Tetchy over housing or should I say, lack of it.

• Advertisement

Colm brophy- they send the village idiot out when every one else is “unavailable”.

An epic buffoon, Arrogant, Smug, Petulant, Obnoxious, opiniated and utterly dislikable, all the qualities in an individual you shouldn't send out to defend policy or latest debacle 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭mattser

I think you emptied your little book of adjectives there.

Dont tell us, you ' can't abide ' him either.

Sincere apologies

Yes, can't abide him, Ghastly individual 😏

• Advertisement

What's with all the fluff pieces on Helen Mc Entee today, Examiner has one too.

An undeclared leadership contest underway in FG?

Regards...jmcc

Hmm, it rather curious 🤔

From Forgetfulness, Questionable Donations, Fondness for Tayto Park to media darling in less than a month.

Leo and the 2 Simons must be exasperated as to how she does is 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,641 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

The INMO rep on the Katie Hannon show spoke very well about UHL and the rest of the health service.

It seems trolley numbers have increased 700% since FG came to power in 2011. FG have normalised the trolley crisis rather than solve it.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

An undeclared leadership contest by someone as yet unknown floating a balloon to test the wind would be my take

Or a more cynical view, free content/filler for the comics. No difficult journalism required. :)

Regards...jmcc

Think that there was an article in the Irish Mail a few weeks ago that mentioned her as a potential taoiseach. Perhaps the thinking among the FG Politburo is that she would be FG's Mary-Lou. From a PR angle, she'd be the first female taoiseach and FG would never shut up about that.

Regards...jmcc

That might work for them if it was a mid-term hand-over from Varadkar, but her going in cold as a new leader for a general election I would not fancy her chances of making it to Taoiseach. Still sound like a bit of a stalking horse exercise to me. And she may not even realise she is the stalking horse.

It would be dangerous to underestimate FG ambitions. Varadkar is toxic and it might be better for him to be replaced before taking over as half-taoiseach.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭eggy81

The majority do? I’m not a city dweller so maybe things are different in bigger towns and cities but no one I know in the real world cares too much about the climate crisis. They might say they do online and stuff but their actions don’t match their aspirations.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Integritate

It is certainly no surprise that Fine Gael and Irish mainstream media (aka The GroupThink) are pushing Helen McEntee to be the next leader of FG and the very first female Taoiseach of Ireland. There is only one problem; Helen McEntee is undoubtedly the most incompetent minister in this country at the moment, and that is coming from an extremely low bar. Why is it that we strive for mediocrity in our political class in Ireland?

The movers and shakers in this country are working at breakneck speed to get a female elected into the highest political office in Ireland. Germany had one; Britain had one, a bunch of other European countries have females in charge currently, and we better get our act together, as we do not want to be seen an outlier.

While essentially I subscribe to the “best person for the job, irrespective of sex/race”, I would really like to see a woman in charge of this country, as I could envision a no-nonsense/non-PC approach to governance, and in fairness the men have been pathetically poor when they had the opportunity. Unfortunately I do not see any likely candidates in the country at the moment, which is why more women should be encouraged to run for office. But when I see the push for Helen McEntee as the best we got, I despair. One just needs to be reminded how she got elected in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

To them, if they could claim the first homosexual Taoiseach, the first mixed race Taoiseach, and the first female Taoiseach, it wouldn't matter that they didn't stop cronyism, fix the hospital beds problem (made them both worse), the housing crisis etc. Also, they could stop Sinn Fein having the first female Taoiseach, and to FG that alone would probably be a victory, even if McEntee barely lasted a month.. It's boggling that McEntee is even being mentioned in the same breath as Taoiseach.

Yep. Ireland finds itself in a sad state with mediocrities in the Dublin media pushing her as a possible leader of FG.

Regards...jmcc

I think its the FF and FG parties, the kind of people they attract and never being held to account thats the problem. I don't think a woman would make any difference.

I would never underestimate FG ambitions, and I can see why many at this point may want shot of Varadkar, but making Helen McEntee Taoiseach, other than the ambition being to salt the ground on Mary Lou, I do not see it achieving much. Unless I have been missing something I have seen nothing from her to date to even suggest she would be a good party leader let alone a good Taoiseach.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Integritate

I believe that there should be consequences for the constituencies that sends us the no-cap Ministers of McEntee and O’ Gorman. If the voters in these areas want to deprive the rest of us of hospital beds, outpatient treatments, housing, mental health services, and accommodation for our third level students in favour of unmanageable influxes of refugees and asylum seekers, then your counties should be the focus areas of this influx. As a society we should always be caring and altruistic, but within our means. It makes no sense to break the country financially and socially because what help can we provide to the world’s destitute if we reach this stage?

In essence, we really need to replace virtue signalling with common sense, and exuberance with logic.

Some people are not gooing to like the latest RedC poll:

Next Irish General Election

POLL - Dáil Éireann Red C / Sunday Business Post

SF: 34% (+1)

FG: 21% (+2)

FF: 16% (nc)

SD: 5% (nc)

GP: 4% (-1)

LP: 4% (-1)

PBP/S: 3% (nc)

AÚ: 2% (nc)

I/O: 11% (-1)

22nd-27th April 2022 +/- March 2022 Sample: 1,014

Regards...jmcc

Helens Fluff articles have not deflected from continuing travails so to speak...

Meanwhile it would seem Simon Coveney didn't inform MMfor almost three months about the American Cup discussions, Tut Tut.

Some extraordinary expenditure going on over at the DFA also..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

No, you don't pay her salary, you pay your taxes.

Your taxes pay all elected politicians wages of course, the opposition as well who do nothing but mouth opposition to everything and are generally ineffective 95% to 100% of the time.

All I can see in this post is pure trashing of an individual for the sake of it.

Anyway your taxes aren't yours, they are the states and regardless of who is in charge they will remain the legitimate property of the state, not yours.

A bit of the Gemmas about!

Advertisement