Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FF/FG/Green Government - Part 3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

I have already said what Harris did was a disgrace, I guess you missed that

Whau I did point out that people complaining about Harris have no problem promoting another journalist doing the exact same and also a political party who are rampant with it, it those people are so upset about Harris then why not about the other cases?

No matter what the topic is you manage to point at Leo, plenty of proof already provided 👍

If it happens it happens, but all sort can change between now and then.

After the last election I wanted SF to go into government because it would have been over and done with, they wouldn’t have last the pandemic by the way. So we could just move on instead of listening to this fairy tale rubbish they are promising

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,911 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

That worms can't be treated? Or can't move on after you spectacularly embarrass yourself time after time and surrendered over understanding basic housing policy that will continue under other parties if they win elections?

I can certainly move on as it's not interesting to debate with a scarecrow (though good to remind them of past failures which they think others have forgotten about :))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

You responded to an article talking up Harris, promoted online by Flanagan with 'look over there'.

Leo floated anon online accounts to talk up his party. I'm sorry if this is inconvenient.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,915 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

many people wanted sf in last time, but it didn't happen, but it is gonna happen this time, its very clearly obvious now, but they may have to pony up with ff, which wont be easy for anyone. yes, anything most certainly could happen, but its easy money on for sf now, this era truly is over.

we ve no clue how sf would have gotten on over the last couple of years, cause it never happened, people say all sorts of sh1t regarding how it would have gone if sf were there, but the reality is, we may never truly find out, they probably would have struggled just as much, resulting in pretty much the same outcomes.

the reality is, all political parties present a fairytale, all of them! no matter who goes in next time, is gonna really struggle, no matter what fairytales they tell!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,746 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Well you would expect all parties to roughly have the same policies. The only difference is who the public believe will act of them. This is where the problem for FF and FG is, who outside their most ardent supporters/cronys believe them

Has anyone denied that Leo put this forward in 2018 and it was rejected?

You are aware plenty of proposals are put forward, some are accepted and some are rejected

Yet you still talk about a rejected policy 4 years later while another party has actually implemented it

Reddit has now restricted to two posts per day in the Irish politics forum after it was over run with a certain opposition supporters group. No other forum in the entire reddit from what I can see requires this. Dreadful this is what is been forced on website when people just want a good discussion about politics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

For somebody that berates social media so often, you like to use it a lot to make your points for you.

Reddit, in particular the Reddit Ireland sub, is run by f*cking idiots, and has many more joined up to it. The politics section that you refer to was was overrun by all of those and others. There were quite a large amount of vocal FG supporters shouting people down and trying to teach people about politics too, which was also a large reason for the limitations. Funny how FG has such a large online presence, even in the darkest murkiest corners where they wouldn't dare tread.. 🙄 Yet are just there to watch... everything.. and blame everyone else.

FG are, and have been one of the most active online crap artists for a long time now. They thought that they had social media sewn up, and are now seen complaining hourly because they haven't a big a grip as they thought, and don't have a clue how to turn it around.

In short, they are being beaten savagely at their own game.

Who says it wasn't followed through on? Its hardly something they'd promote. Also the topic is political trolling not political trolling by your 'certain party' only. FG are the only party we know the leader floated it. Here you are again 'a certain opposition'. Priceless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

Wonder how long Leo will last, do FG not realise they're only going backwards under him.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Irelandsnumberone

Alot of people having trouble voting for FG (the self proclaimed party of law and order) when the leader is part of a criminal investigation going on for over a year now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,167 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Reddit are doing this (restricting posts) the world over. Somebody is bluffing for political effect again I fancy.

I don’t “berate social media”, I think social media is great

What I don’t like is the online trolls and the online mobs that have been created to abuse people online. That is crystal clear from my posts

The claims about FG online team are the exact opposite to what I have seen and experienced online and with all the press reports everyone else is saying the same

Do you have ANY information to say it was implemented?

All the information available I can find says it was shut down. But if it was I would love to hear so please provide. Thanks

The information is all available in terms of which parties have an active campaign to recruit online supporters. So no FG is not the only party.

No need to lie. Reddit has a time limit to stop spam

The politics forum now have a 2 post limit, the opposition spammer on that website is creating a post now to complain about the fact they can’t spam the forum. 🤦‍♂️

No lie. Google it, has been an issue on Reddit generally. Nicely turned for your political advantage but as usual makes you look rather silly.

Reddit is limiting my posts : help

"the online trolls and the online mobs that have been created to abuse people online"

Yes, many groups have been created online, not entirely sure that they were created for the purpose you suggest, but it doesn't tun one party deep, give over with that BS.

"and with all the press reports everyone else is saying the same"

Where are these magnificent press reports, and I will assure you that they, and yourself are wrong. FG are up to their neck in the same trolling you are accusing other parties of. I don't know how you plan to claim it doesn't exist, it's not as though everyone else can't see it.

There was and is spamming coming from multiple directions, you are talking nonsense suggesting that it is coming from one party, and as a result they have limited posts.

I'll say it again. FG thought they had Social Media all figured out and thought that they were some sort of experts on it. Now they realise they haven't got a clue what's going on, they can't control it, and their (very) basic ideas aren't working for them, it's time to start blaming everyone else and giving out that they aren't playing fair. Absolute nonsense.

It only seems like yesterday Leo was suggesting making multiple fake accounts to 'create fake feedback' (and do God knows what else). One would have to assume he thought to do that because of what he was witnessing that was being done/used in the FG social media dept. 😅 Don't forget Ravi before that, who was convicted of federal crimes in the US, of illegally channeling half a million US$ to support two mayoral candidates, and for falsifying records.. This is the lad that was in charge of FG's social media campaign only a few years beforehand..

And we still don't know whether or not FG continued with Leo's ideas.

You claimed it wasn't followed up on. I said we don't know. Show it wasn't?

Only party were the leader floated the idea of anon online accounts to talk up the party.

They all have a social media presence. Turkey is popular...chilling and that.

• Advertisement

All the stuff about what FG are up to on social media is coming from within the party too, NOT from disgruntled former members. Eoghan Murphy before his departure to pastures green and thrifty said that they had discussed 'much worse things than anonymous accounts' at meetings.

I shudder to think what that might mean.

FG Holier than thou BS. They are probably the worst.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,482 ✭✭✭✭road_high

FG taking an absolute hammering in poll after poll- not surprising whatsoever- they are hell bent on looking after everyone but their traditional voters.

Their recent local meetings about Gender Equality pretty much sum up where this disaster is under Varadkar- obsessed with identity politics, hiding away from actual every day problems we all face like inflation, housing, crippling taxation and energy bills.

20% is about the skeleton of FG support and I can see them drop to about 20 seats in any election called close to now. They’re utterly rudderless.

Did you even read the link you posted 🤦‍♂️

Can you please provide evidence this FG media team is active? Something like the leader of the main opposition calling for her supporters not to be “ignorant pigs”

So you cant, quelle surprise

But please continue discussing a rejected project from 2018 as if it has any relevance. At least it gives you a reason to mention Leo in every post 👍

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,960 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

You don't announce anonymous accounts or 'even worse things'.

Leo's suggestion/proposal was outed by somebody else in the party, like the leak he confessed to, it was never meant to be known about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,456 ✭✭✭jmcc

In 2002, there was a 5.4% swing against FG. It lost 23 seats. The proportional representation system can amplify small shifts in party votes. At the moment, the biggest problem for FG and FF is that the electorate sees little difference between them. This means that FF and FG are competing with each other for votes moreso than with other parties. The FG grassroots voted for Coveney but the FG parliamentary party installed their candidate, Varadkar, because their votes had more weight than the grassroots votes. Since then, Varadkar has lost seats for FG in every election that FG has contested. If FG starts to consistently poll under 20% in the opinion polls, it may have some FG TDs considering whether to run in the GE. Replacing them may be difficult for FG. That leaked report by Michael Ring has confirmed what a lot of people were saying about FG's current situation.

Regards...jmcc

Horse, you claimed they never went through with it. I said we don't know and I've to give proof? You're the only one made a claim and as usual you are avoiding it and throwing out red herrings. Tiresome.

I love the way 2018 is mentioned like its ancient history :)

You could say that FG have been Leo'd since Varadkar took office.

• Advertisement

You ignore my request for proof and ask me for 'evidence' of something? 😏

If he comes up in your comments you're a homophobe apparently. So say the lads only see him as a gay man. He's a lot more; a child, a suspect in a criminal investigation, likely next Taoiseach (but I can't see FF hanging around) and the only party leader we know of to float the idea of setting up anon online accounts to talk up his party.

Somebody that I know very well, worked with Leo before he became a TD, and they told me 2 words describe Leo to a T. The 2 words are lazy bollix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,638 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Yeah FG only got 31 seats in 2002.

I completely agree that the longer this government goes on, the more identical FF and FG are perceived by the voters.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

That shines through his political career too- hence the forever fall back on identity politics- that gets him so far but in times of severe crisis and hardship people lose interest in fluffy nonsense and want results and vision.

It might be simpler than that. There did seem to be a clique around him that thought they were extras in "The West Wing". (The Choirboys as Kate O'Connell referred to them, I think.) FG was effectively repackaged as a kind of "presidential administration". Fine for the USA but not for Ireland where the president's office is merely a figurehead rather than an executive office. FF had managed to do that presidential thing well with Ahern and his PR packaging. But Ahern had that "man of the people" thing and was a very good campaigner. Varadkar wasn't and isn't. Cowen, though he was probably the worst Taoiseach ever also had that "man of the people" quality even more than Ahern. Some of Varadkar's main allies are no longer in politics. Murphy is gone. Hayes is gone. The FG backbenchers are worried that they will lose their seats.

FG needs a leader rather than a someone who works quotes from "Mean Girls" into political speeches for Twitter likes and retweets. The problem is that FG's replacements all have their own issues. Harris is a walking disaster zone. McEntee demonstrates the whole "family seat" nature of FG politics. Pascal Donohoe (the man on a soapbox), Simon Coveney (the grassroots choice) might be considerd safe choices. Jennifer Carroll MacNeill might also be a possible leader (seems a lot more academically accomplished than McEntee) but it might be a few years too early for her as a first term TD. It would not be beyond the bounds of possibility to see FG try to replace Varadkar with a female leader (McEntee) in order to deny SF the opportunity to have the first female Taoiseach.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,024 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Could be an interesting few weeks ahead , growing discontentment, things just going from bad to worse. Utterly depressing sentiment around. FFGG just seem to have their heads in the sand 🙄

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

The most logical thing would be for FF and FG to merge as a single party. It would lose some TDs but the gains of operating as a single Right of centre party might outweigh the losses. Of course, Barry Cowen's motion could see FF returning to its more republican nature (tryng to take ownership of the Border Poll issue) before Martin nearly destroyed it as a party. There is supposed to be a day long meeting this month to discuss the motion so things could change rapidly in FF the momentum against Martin builds.

Regards...jmcc

It looks like they are hoping to make it to the Summer holidays without losing another few % support. :)

Regards...jmcc

I wouldn’t like to see them merge. What FG need is to ditch Varadkar asap, go into opposition, rebuild and abandon the woke leftie identity rubbish, move back to the centre right, forget about vacant vegetables like Mcentee - all easier said than done but they’ll continue towards oblivion if they keep the current status quo going.

• Advertisement

There’s no hiding for a useless government at the supermarket tills or petrol pumps where everyone is seeing their bills skyrocketing. Much of which their “policies” have directly loaded into.

If they merged what would the party be called?

If they included the DUP, they could be the FFGDUP. :)

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,863 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Will never happen until they face serious competition on the right. FG's calculation is they can take right of centre voters for granted because those voters have nowhere else (credible) to go, and that will hold even truer with FG positioning themselves as the main opposition to SF and the only party ruling out coalition with them. The parties they are competing with for floating voters are FF and the soft left, and 'moving back to the centre right' would only alienate those voters...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Whether we like him or not is irrelevant, the fact is looking at these polls over the last year or so they have abysmal for FG and he has to go.

I think FG will have a poor election in 2025, but by not getting rid of Leo its admitting they have given up .

I don't know if any of those will turn things around, but take a punt at least.

Agreed. They were always a safe option, but they are just snide comments and optics these days. The low quality of those Varadkar brought up are a testament to his poor qualities. The parliamentary party very much thought they were going to hitch a ride on the Macron, Trudeau wagon. They've shown they are no longer the answer to dodgy FF though. They need a spell or two in the cheap seats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,024 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Normally Quite on a Bank Holiday Monday on the political front....

Not this one.

No wonder this was intended to be a confidential / Secret briefing 🙄 still trying to get my head around the uneven vehicle reg number bit , it's like a draft comedy sketch.

Back to Health , well this pretty much sums up what a "Fine Mess we're in"

There's more, Housing , a government actually making a Bad situation of their creation, actually worse, who'd have thought that was even possible 😳

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

On the fuel saving, what are you struggling to understand?

Did you want a public meeting ? 🤦‍♂️

What to “get your head around”? I expect you understand what an odd and even number is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Irelandsnumberone

What about health and housing?

No comment if you cant make a smart remark or deflect from the topic?

Advertisement