Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FF/FG/Green Government - Part 3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,415 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

You know, reading that post, I have now reached the conclusion that all of the stories about queues at Dublin Airport are completely made up because only Denis O'Brien and a few cronies could afford to go on holidays if your picture of Ireland today is true.

What I think is extremely strange and has me scratching my head is where did all those jobs come from that the Ukrainians who have turned up in the country have managed to get working in the hospitality sector. Surely, they must have been magicked out of the air, because they would have been snapped up months ago by those queuing at food banks etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,960 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

What I find strange is how everything the government does is defended to the nth degree. Money trees magically appear out of nowhere when we were told earlier in the year they don't exist. When the President attacked the government and their housing policies, the usual defendants went to ground waiting for things to blow over.

The next few weeks are going to be tricky for the government, especially if Joe McHugh goes independent as this means the government won't have the 80 seat majority that is needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,482 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Good. Sooner it collapses the better. And Mr Varadkar can have another barely 20 seat “successful” election as FG spiral towards oblivion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,024 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I have complained, will continue to complain and it's not easy to complain, the usual lot picking up on one point Ive raised as if it's news,

My heart bleeds for the poor ministers getting less days off, I'm almost getting emotional at the thought.

Seriously this is all that be offered as a point of argument, I Dispair 🙄

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

🤣🤣🤣🤣 O Dear Blanch your struggling, happen to hear about American Airlines asking the Minister to get a grip, Lonely Planet basically telling the world to stay away and avoid Dublin Airport like you would the plague, Heathrow had an excuse, the baggage handling system failed, DAA had an excuse too, sorry we're just incompetent, one travel writer discribing DA as Manky.

The farce of being told to head down for that few Bob at your nearest SW office being discussed on the Late Debate.

To be honest we’d be far better off if they took more days off and had less time for cooking up useless legislation that makes all our lives more restricted and expensive.

Absolutely NOTHING this shower do makes my life anyway better or easier ever. Quite the very opposite in fact.

Their priorities are sucking up to foreign bodies like the UN, EU, NGOs (that their buddies all sit on drawing huge salaries), social welfare aka “the vulnerable”.

But why are you worrying about Dublin Airport? According to you, Ireland is in such a bad state that nobody can afford to go on holidays. Better the tourists also stay away so that they don't see the state of the country.

Doesn't the Oireachtas pass legislation, not the Cabinet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

16,000 homes.. to actually less than 6,000 homes and he thinks that is a good think that they stoppe the bulk buyers..

• Advertisement

You brought Dublin Airport up, was happy to oblige, surely youve not forgotten a post you made 15 minutes ago 🤔

And your damn right people can't afford to go on holiday, perhaps your not familiar with the principle of booking in advance, people doing short hall flights to visit relatives, heavens above people needing to fly due to a tragedy and of course business travel.

Do you seriously believe only people going on holiday use airports🙄 dear God, I am now definitely baffled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

The government tell us they are taking the housing disaster, that FF/FG created, seriously but news stories over the past few weeks show that they are not taking it seriously at all.

1) Land Development Agency working at a “glacial pace” in delivering land to build homes.

2) Property funds bulk buying 350 homes despite ‘Mullen Park’ stamp duty levy. Figures show that the funds have spent over €100 million since the government attempted to limit the practice.

3) An Bord Pleanála hit with fines as 5,500 houses now delayed, Section overseen by Paul Hyde faces new deadlines on plans for 25,000 home by August.

4) More than half of the country’s local authorities have not collected a single euro of the vacant site levy from landowners since its introduction in 2018. Only 8pc of money due for payment under the levy last year was collected by various city and county councils.

5) Darragh O'Brien busy pulling political strokes after introducing a last-minute amendment to the Electoral Reform Bill to allow political parties obtain lottery licences for political fundraising. He also has very strong ties to the construction industry.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Well how else do you think they’re going to reward their cronies? They can’t all get positions in NGOs and the like so a few have to be looked after “managing” the proletariat

You know, listening to the radio for the last few weeks, all I heard was ordinary people going on holidays, who were complaining about Dublin Airport. I must live in an alternate reality where people in Ireland have one of the highest living standards in the world, one of the best health outcomes, and one of the happiest set of people.

Sure there are challenges because of Covid and the Ukrainian War, but our government handled Covid better than nearly every other government, and to be fair to most Irish, they are happy to extend the friendly welcome to those fleeing the war in Ukraine, and if we have to suffer something in helping them, which is far far less than the poor Ukrainians have had to suffer, so be it.

Sadly, the Ireland for the Irish, that I have been hearing from certain quarters over the last few days, reminds me that exclusionary nationalism hasn't gone away, you know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

Pretty ignorant outlook there. Who said people at food banks were all unemployed? We know many homeless are working. I recall a then FG minister commenting on 'trolleys full of alcohol' when discussing the cost of living. It's cheaper to fly abroad for a holiday than stay in Ireland in a lot of cases. Is the idea that people should accept low enough pay that they require assistance with rent, (as long as private concerns can maintain their high rental profits) but aren't availing of food banks?

I think it's uncouth, to say the least, to be repeatedly trying to use the plight of the Ukrainians to support your claims. Is your claim here, once again, that anyone finding themselves having a hard time of it is either lazy, lying or both? How do the ever growing numbers of working poor factor into this?

What shows were you watching, wish you were here? The Travel show?

I was listening to the news, watching live broadcasts, of course there were holiday makers caught up in the Debacle, folks who may have booked in Feb/ March not realising the train crash heading their way, would you suggest they cancel and lose vast sums they may have saved 🙄 I think your desperately trying to drag this on, but before I leave it, what about the flight from Calgary on the Monday after the farce, most still haven't got their luggage, All will likely, never, ever, ever return.

A shambles of epic proportions and guess what, its going to get worse, even DAA admit that, all because of a half baked attempt to save a few bob 😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Sure hun xoxo.

What exactly has McEntee done in her role aside from take dodgy political donations, virtue signal to the wokefolk, play to the various galleries she’s trying to appear relevant to, and populate her Twitter and Tik tok pages with vacuous self-promoting nonsense?

The Minister for Justice is a senior political role. It deserves someone who can commit to it full-time and not be absent for two long sabbaticals - esp. in the current times of Brexit, the issues in Northern Ireland, wider Europe and the Ukraine.

• Advertisement

So nobody is booking holidays anymore?

And there I was listening to people on the radio telling me they were flying to Rome next year because it was cheaper than driving to Dublin and staying for a Bruce Springsteen concert. But, hey, the country has gone to pot and nobody has any money.

Someone should also tell Robbie Williams that it is pointless putting on two more nights, sure nobody has any money anymore.

Sure, there are people in trouble, sure there are more people in trouble because of Covid hits to parts of the economy, and the Ukrainian War causing inflation, but everybody in this country is better off living here, even the homeless, than living in Ukraine or Syria or Eritrea, or half the world.

You are among the luckiest 1% of the human population ever born, to be living in Ireland at this point in time.

Their approach to covid could be summed up as paranoid hysteria- they spent a small fortune achieving the greater sum of fcuk all, apart from making their cronies more wealthy and powerful. Because none of that rubbish makes a blind bit of difference to an endemic respiratory virus

Excuse me! She’s a woman and cannot under any circumstances be criticized!!!!

🙄

You continue with this one dimensional view on what is going on in the real world , you pick a particular point , twist and turn and obsess about it , hoping desperately if you run with it, eventually it will make sense , it doesn't nor will continously ignoring reality.

This utterly bizzare use of an example of someone rather sensibly, Flying to a different country to see a concert to avoid blatant gouging and actually save money seems to perplex you, it's called, common sense and actually says more about the outrageous gouging going on in Ireland. Perhaps you've also missed the point and reason why people choose to Holiday abroad , surely I don't need to explain the reasons for that. Even when the Irish Hospitality sector had the golden opportunity of tapping into the staycationing market during Covid , they couldn't help rubbing their grubby hands, take the absolute PEE and rip off Irish people, they'll not get that opportunity ever again.

I'd wager few if anyone who booked a holiday months ago knew what was coming in terms of cost of living crisis, you seem to think people struggling just booked holidays on a whim, if you honestly believe this , I've really no response but if you think people who had paid for holidays already should just not bother to see it through and loose the cost of what they've paid for, months ago , then that's just silly, Ironically they are likely to spend much less for the duration of time they are out of Ireland. Even before this crisis, I know many retirees who deliberately move to places like the canary Islands for winter months and literally save thousands, even accounting for the rent of an apartment and flights (albeit cheap flights might be a thing of the past)

Anyway , know you'll be back with some more bizzare notions later 🙄

Sexist? Sure. 🙄 That's a leap as big as Leo's for calling out Michael Healy Rae for saying "away with the fairies". Well done, you must be so proud of yourself for the mental gymnastics it's taken you to arrive at that conclusion.

This is what I said:

"I'm glad to see she's at least done something with her time in politics. 🙄

And sadly for me I'm in her constituency."

If McEntee was a man I'd say the exact same thing if he and his wife were expecting their second child. Let's look at that statement then with the genders replaced:

"I'm glad to see he's at least done something with his time in politics. 🙄

And sadly for me I'm in his constituency."

Is that statement sexist?

The simple fact is "the person" we are referring to has done SFA since appointed to a role they simply are not qualified for. The person in question is in way above their intellectual ability and it's plain to see for anyone with even the slightest interest in politics and current events. It was tokenism to put the person in a role they were neither suitable for nor capable of doing, and to continue to attempt to deflect any criticism of their performance on the grounds of their gender is actually damaging to other capable and more intelligent female candidates - but I'm guessing you of course fail to see this?

Post edited by ButtersSuki on

• Advertisement

Actually at this stage with all the trans talk I wouldn't be surprised if she announced she's now non-binary, gender fluid, or even decides to change genders to get a few likes on Instagram.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Irelandsnumberone

Yep , Josepha has been struggling of late , bad enough her incompetence but then causing offence via Twitter, remarkably inept individual 🙄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...only that this has always been the case, long before covid and the war turned up! these have just made the situation far worse, and it probably wont ever change!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,156 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Is there no decent advisors to this government? Every time he tries to excuse the shambles he created with this, he gets destroyed. Correction: is there no FG TD's astute enough to see the damage he has done and continues to do? When will they stop the runaway train?

😳 Leo standing up against Bulliies, is that how he describes his unhinged, Vicious, Vindictive , underhanded and pre mediated attack , Gosh , if his performance wasn't a perfect example of Bullying, what is 🤔

Just extraordinary given his close monitoring of Twitter, he's not noticed he's made a fool of himself (again) 😏

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Well, I happen to think the Government is doing a very commendable job considering all the trouble in the world right now. As for all the things that are not exactly super at home these days, they are doing all they can. If they could make everything hunkey dory with the wave of a wand they would, think off all the votes it would bring in, alas in the real world things are tricky and not easy to do. They are making decisions to keep things going. Can we imagine the fuss the farmers would kick up if they stopped the Russian-flagged ships and their animal feed and the dsl from Russia too? It would be the correct thing to ban them but they are allowing them in as they know the country is in a tight spot. Decisions been made are sometimes hard and difficult but they are making them regardless.

Dan.

I'm truly inspired, thank you.

But have you missed the Hunky, Dory magic wand they actually have been waving in certain directions, none of which helping Irish people 🤔

May I be so bold and add, insufferable and intolerable 😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,011 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Yes because the Dail is not the Cabinet.

This shouldn't be so hard for you to grasp.

Ireland also has the second-highest min wage in the EU, so there is a correlation.

Not sure what question you want to be answered because they were buried in the word salad of rants.

Gutter talk you made up. It was FG refused to sanction Putin when the Crimea was invaded.

This is actually not true.

But we know FF and FG are happy to turn a blind eye and help cover up institutional rape, selling babies and leaving a mass burial ground of infants to lie fallow.

Also not true, but anyway..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

2nd highest min wage doesn't really account for much when you are the joint most expensive country. It's already too expensive for many of those on the average wage.

So still no answers. Never have I ever heard such bs. You can't answer because there were too many words. Incapable of having a discussion, like I said. Just quoting posts and trolling.

I'm surprised anyone bothers to reply to you at all, I won't be anymore.

Before you go off Marko, just be aware I could educate you on a few facts about this government and more so last governments appalling lack of action and dithering re what went on in the past, particularly in children's Homes alledgedy supervised by government agencies.

I agree whole heartedly with @Brucie Bonus sentiments because I've direct knowledge and experience of what went on, having spent 16 years in state care.

Very emotive subject and not particularly appropriate for me to be discussing here so I won't but don't say its not true when you've clearly not an iota of understanding on the particular points made.

• Advertisement

Colm Brophy got caught at the same thing on Claire Byrne this morning. Went on a rant and then when challenged had nothing to back it up. Saved by Claire ending the conversation.

I for one welcomed Leo standing up to the blowhard that is Pearse Doherty. The guy is a sham, whose only talent is hectoring people. You could see the colour drain from his face when Leo told the world about his own run-in with the law. And for the record, it was Pearse that started it.

And for the record, it was Pearse that started it.

It was the Dáil, not a schoolyard.

You are welcome. I am glad you now know the difference between the Dail and the Cabinet.

If you spent 16 years in state care and you are now well older, then this is not the topic of the current government, is it now? Unless you are 18....

So why did Pearse bring it up for debate, as it had nothing to do with the Dail questions at the time?

Doherty diodn't bring something from 25 years ago, that was Leo'sd own doing. Leo's 'present' predicament is entirely relevant.

How is it relevant to a question about the cost of living?

Its a clear case of well, because Pearse did it, it was OK..

• Advertisement

He was addressing Varadkar's smug, evasive replies. Abundantly pointed out in commentary on social media, where, despite your undying support and pat on the head, Varadkar is getting destroyed for it.

Advertisement