Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FF/FG/Green Government - Part 3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,024 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Yawn, and yet again the Party that you and others obsess about had literally no presence in the Dail on 1973

I was infact referring to another attempt by a poster, clearly not ofay with not just EU history but infact the Irish republics political history.

You really need to keep up Marko.

Any, I'm in no mood to feed ymyour deflection tactics today 😉

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Are the government aware that all they have to do is show everyone a single statistics chart, every single time, and it will explain everything away? 🙄

Unless of course it doesn't, and especially wouldn't the way you are using them. There is so much more to take into account there that it is unfathomable that you think producing that chart explains anything.

Rent, subsidised rent, outright owners, owners with mortgage, multiple occupancy owners, and many many other thngs that contribute to house prices increasing, This incessant need to compare us to others is acceptable when it is used correctly, but when you post a screengrab of a single stats chart and use it as some sort of lame attempt to prove a point, it's not.

Roads, feeder services, business locations, employment in areas etc.. all need to be taken into account. New Zealand are currently still trying to get people to move to the other end of the country with the promise of employment and free housing among other things. The majority of locations in Ireland are very low on the list of things above (and more) and are the reason that there are so many cramming into the capital, traffic is crazy in Galway and Cork and getting worse. That chart on it's own is useless to be used to explain anything.

As for "Housing affordability is an issue in some places in Ireland" - that is pure nonsense. Housing affordability is an issue everywhere if the employment to pay for the house isn't there. Where are they supposed to work? How long would they be travelling a week?

Where are these modular homes going to be placed, will they be near mass employment areas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,011 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

I'm fine thanks, but I am just pointing out that Human Rights do matter to a counties well being. You seem to be OK with tyrants and dictators running a country.

I hear North Korea is lovely in Autumn!

I wasn't talking about their presence in the Dail, I was talking about their 100% record in opposing EEC membership and all EU integration and treaties.

This is just a fact. Accept it as a fact and move on.

Not in the context of either this thread or the question asked.

Enough already 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

I thought the UN had something to say about Irelands Human rights record. Or am I misremembering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

We have a crisis over a decade old. The policies make it worse, not better. Neither, Brexit, Ukraine, covid nor monkey pox carries all the blame.

Local level plays its part for sure. Are you suggesting if people stopped objecting we'd be doing okay or moving out of crisis? You often make it sound like people are only objecting to make government look bad by prolonging the crisis. Should we welcome 25 year leases with no option to buy as social housing or try block it? There are numerous bad deals excused by 'but we need housing now' like we haven't been in crisis for a decade already.

Numerous housing experts at home and abroad are critical of the government's housing plan.

Its a fact FF stopped building and started selling off. FG have not moved other than to use the private sector. If their policies worked they wouldn't be making matters worse, which they are.

And people shouldn't have to move to unfamiliar parts of the country to afford a roof far from their work, or family for that matter.

That chart on it's own is useless to be used to explain anything.

Of course its useless to you, and those who just want to moan and crip about everything the Irish Government does.

So, along with the UN HDI, you don't take any input into charts created by Bloomberg that shows Ireland is by no means the worst in the class when it comes to housing.

Well, you are consistent I guess.

It would be easier if you respond with one post, makes it easier to remind you once rather than Twice your clutching at straws to discuss your favourite party, I'm really not interested.

It's useless to everyone. A statistic chart seems to be your go to simple view of anything, when there is a lot more to anything. I could randomly pick a stat chart over at the CSO website and come back and post it here and say it proves something. The fact of the matter is, unless you are very simple minded, it doesn't prove anything. Especially not on it's own. They are useful in their own right of course, but are at their most effective when used correctly, which you seem blatantly incapable of doing.

Everyone seems to be unanimous in agreeing that the FG government of the last decade did nothing to help housing in Ireland. O'Brien was saying the other day that this is the most amount to have gone in to the housing in over a decade. Posters on here no matter what side of any discussion they are on, have agreed that since 2011ish nothing has really been done to help housing and the homeless crisis has just got worse under them. Statistics to prove all of that too... alongside proof to show it.

That chart shows nothing else, and there is nothing accompanying it. - Useless for the most part, and definitely for the relevant.

• Advertisement

Still banging on about the charts.

We have a housing crisis and the government are making it worse at our expense.

Some chart saying we are doing great in areas means **** all for housing etc.

IMO the government make housing policy to enrich their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,482 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Yea, at this stage anyone that believes this rubbish from FG must have some kind of punishment complex.

Taxes will be going one way, that’s up. Just like the tax take on fuel, property taxes and USC on the medical card eligibility thresholds. Virtue signalling comes with a hefty price tag

I'd be much more happy to pay taxes if we got value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Irelandsnumberone

Trade unions have warned that they will not return to the negotiating table until an improved offer is tabled by the Government.

They have also warned that the increased cost of living is putting members under substantial pressure, and said this must be reflected in any future talks.

Kevin Callinan, chairman of the Irish Congress of Trade Union’s (Ictu) public services committee (PSC), said that unions expected an improved offer from the Government following Tánaiste Leo Varadkar’s comments on RTÉ’s Morning Ireland programme a week ago, but no such offer has been forthcoming.

Mr Varadkar had said that the Government was willing to re-engage in the collapsed talks, brokered by Workplace Relations Commission (WRC), and that they were prepared to make a “further offer”.

Mr Callinan said that, despite Mr Varadkar’s comments, he has received no indication that the Department of Public Expenditure and Reform was, in fact, willing to make an improved offer.

Leo causing more problems with his kite flying basically

He's playing to the gallery. 3bn already gone from next budget too.

It's useless to everyone.

Do you speak for everyone? No, no you don't. Some people find it useful, in fact many people find it useful.

You just hate people giving context to Ireland, don't you. You want Ireland to exist in a vacuum so you can soapbox about every little thing that is wrong with the place.

Even when charts show that Ireland is nowhere near the worst when it comes to a housing bubble and its price to value ratio's which makes housing in some places quite affordable?

Discussion on polls of late on the late Debate 😏

• Advertisement

Leo's favourite ex TD , Kate O Comnell making an appearance on the late Debate

She spends more time in RTE Studios than in her own pharmacy.

It's great, first point she made , hopefully that little matter with the DPP will be resolved soon 😁😁

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Irelandsnumberone

Very quiet on that front since Leo told Pearse the courts will decide if he is guilty

So what happens with the summer recess of the courts then the dail. Mr Varadkar will be in charge again. But If he has to go to court will he step down ?

• Advertisement

Courts , I believe will be back in late August, early September , but if Leo's slip of the tongue is infsct true, its unlikely the case would be heard until 2023 at the earliest, obviously if DPP drops the matter (more likely , I suspect) a decision would I presume be made during recess or shortly after . I'd wager during recess so it won't get much to much attention (IMO) 😏

"Do you speak for everyone? No, no you don't. Some people find it useful, in fact many people find it useful."

It's not an opinion. Without other data to accompany it or some relevant information, that chart in particular is pretty much useless.

The people that find it useful would have some other information with them or in mind to use it alongside or to analyse etc.

"You just hate people giving context to Ireland, don't you. You want Ireland to exist in a vacuum so you can soapbox about every little thing that is wrong with the place."

I have no issues with people giving context to Ireland, but that isn't what you have been doing if that is what you're trying to imply. I love Ireland, I don't complain about anything in it except the sh*t government and the terrible job that they are doing to help ruin the country. In particular, I don't believe Leo gives two sh*ts about Ireland, he can't wait to jump ship to the EU, determined to fasttrack his career he wants out so quickly. The people that helped him become leader are just as useless, as they had a better insight than the rest of us, and it was damn apparent to us how bad he is when we saw him in action, so it would have been to them for longer, although many of those are now regretting the day. Good riddance to the lot of them. Between the two parties in the powerswap they have just been milking the country for their extreme benefit, and it would seem that more and more people have had enough of the sight of them.

Everything else about this country, pretty much is great, especially the people that have decided it is time to move forward and get rid of the old powerswap. Similar to what the 'new' FG seemed to think they were doing when they got rid of the older lot. But they turned out the be the same crap that they themselves didn't like. How could they expect us to?

FG support dropping like a lead balloon. Hilarious to watch

She’s a pain in the rear end, loves the sound of her voice. Offers nothing new or fresh. Another Uber privileged disconnected FG self serving ego maniac. Two a penny or rather they used to be ;)

One of the few decisions leo made that I agree with.

• Advertisement

Do they alter reality? No, they don't.

I don't really care if 'its worse elsewhere'. I feel sorry for the people mind.

I love the attitude of it's worse elsewhere. What they really mean is you should be happy with what you are Given. No sense of improving things just the status quo.

Going after the person to dismiss the comments. Nice.

This is you right?

Again, it has nothing to do with the Government, but yet again we are making it Personal with digs at the people themselves, not policy.

Personally I wouldn't be keen on Kate O Connell but she has an insight into the workings of FG and particularly Leo , she's always careful, Subtle but intriguing to disect her comments , certainly no love lost for Leo 😏

And?

She does spend a lot of time in the RTE studios to be fair. Always worth a few clicks to the RTE execs.

It's not an opinion. Without other data to accompany it or some relevant information, that chart, in particular, is pretty much useless.

All charts are useless, all indexes are useless, all benchmarks are useless, and all reports are useless.

We get it. You don't like facts and prefer gut feeling, fanatical beliefs and the old 'stick the finger in the air' method in how to do policy and improve people's lives. You Sir, should be in politics!

Independent reports, indexes, and charts that report on reality don't convey reality?

THAT is the whole point of said research, to see the lay of the land.

No worries, just commenting on the hypocrisy.

So have you a link to one of these showing we aren't in a housing and health and homeless crisis? And I don't mean one showing we fare better than Gambia.

Have the Greens objected to the 16 year one off homes yet ? I think I know the answer why.

• Advertisement

As sure it will be grand, Darragh's plan will insure folks who wouldn't normally qualify under current central bank rules, will (with a cap on valuation) get assistance by way of Government putting up 30% of value of property, interest free for 5 years and then start paying that off along with a mortgage that technically is unsustainable and folks can look forward to have two mortgage providers, Two entirely seperate mortgages for roughly 25 years. What could possibly go wrong 🤔

Gobbledygook, so to speak 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭shirrup

"Asking price"

2 things off the top of my head.

1 No guarantee whatsoever that's what they'll end up selling for.

2 until you're in those houses in person, you've not one single idea how much restoration money will needed to be spent on them to make them habitable.

"Buy as seen" springs to mind

Not exactly a fool proof argument to be honest, then to top it off that newspaper article this morning comes along and completely lances the boil.

Darragh won't take any responsibility for the bad stuff, so surely he'll not be expecting any praise for plans that might actually improve things?

I mean if he's no responsibility for the rough, he can't expect praise for the smooth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Just move to Tralee or Longford. Be grand. Imagine the cheek of wanting to live where you're from.

Couldn't agree more, meanwhile our national Broadcaster canvassing for Kind hearted builders to assist in their Virtue signalling campaign. They called a perfectly reasonable builder (I'd like to shake his hand) for their Big Build SOS program. Quite an embarrassing end to the call, actually the entire call was embarrassing .

I won't link the exchange (slightly off Topic) , its over on the live line Thread and elsewhere and it's extraordinary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,456 ✭✭✭jmcc

Kate O'Connell represents a threat to Varadkar and his clique. It is no surprise to see here being attacked over media appearances. She referred to Varadkar's clique as "the choirboys" years ago on the Tonight Show. The only thing that FGers hate more than SF are other FGers.

Some of Varakdar's allies, such as Hayes and Murphy, are no longer in politics and FG many be getting increasingly worried about its own performance in the opinion polls and the loss of their seats. O'Connell also voted for Coveney in the FG leadership elections.

Varadkar and his clique have been an electoral disaster for FG and it would not be surprising to see a leadership challenge soon. A DPP decision to prosecute would accelerate it. Had O'Connell been the FG candidate in the Dublin Bay South bye-election, FG might have held that seat. When Varadkar is no longer leader, it would not be surprising to see her back in politics. Varadkar's appeasement of the morons in the Dublin media lost Verona Murphy as an FG candidate and she took a seat in Wexford. FG, without Varadkar, and with candidates like O'Connell and Murphy, would be in a better position to hold or even gain seats. Perhaps some FGers are slowly coming to that realisation. The next few opinion polls should be interesting.The lack of a DPP decision may be the only thing delaying a leadership challenge.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Biggest issue is most of the potential challengers are also idiots and will be horrible leaders (Harris, McEntee etc). They're all pretty much off the same leaf in being more interested in Twitter than actually competent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

IMO the looming prosecution is an issue all by itself; if it happened I think Varadkar would have to resign, or at least step aside for the duration of the case, irrespective of how FG were doing in the polls.

So if we assume that doesn't materialise what is a reasonable benchmark of performance for FG at this stage? I think everyone accepts SF are away and clear as the largest party for the next election and FF and FG are battling for second spot. IMO if FG keep ahead of FF - and they were 19-14 in the latest RedC poll - most FG members will be satisfied enough with that to render a leadership challenge unlikely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

So you don't like Kate O'Connell then? Wow, that's pretty misogynistic dude.

Am I doing this right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The only thing that FGers hate more than SF are other FGers.

A sentiment that applies equally to all parties, Some party members would eat their young to be selected!

She's really not a team player, inclined to be very petty and quite paranoid. An ex-party one term rep is a great filler for media panels but they are largely ignored, especially when they are the weak link on a party ticket.

Advertisement