Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FF/FG/Green Government - Part 3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,135 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I read very informed debate on twitter actually.

I can spot the abusive trite debates a mile off and avoid.

I think the coffee house idea is great and was never a thing here but the essential point is SM is here to stay as a part of the political debate and he/she who knows how to use it will benefit from it. Time to stop whinging about it's mere existence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,960 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

So if we have the temerity to criticise what the government are doing we are laughing at the problem they allegedly are trying to fix? Thats the biggest load of horse shiit I have read in a long time. Your defence of the government sounds exactly like the ministers who were on TV and radio over the past 2 weeks defending Boris.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭conorhal

The fatal flaw in your argument is that 'Twitter is the people's forum', I put it to you that it is not, it's the forum of bots and idiots that very rarely is 'of the people', in fact it spends much of it's time as a forum ensuring 'people' are never heard as it favors corporate interests, where's your blue check mark buddy? To suggest that it's a valuable place of debate is just laughable.

Even boards, as borked and all as it is, is ten times the forum that Twitter is for 'the great unwashed'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I would like to see the investigation report published. Guaranteed there is planning corruption involved with local authorities and councillors. RTE Investigates showed that it was rampant and FFG ignored it. When will we learn? Corruption is never far below the surface of this banana republic.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Nonsense. Scroll past the bots all the time. And there is comment from all walks of life on there.

'Bots' is just a handy dimissive term because you can't stand the idea that everyone gets a say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

I was commenting on your comparison which came across as the condecending waffle one might hear from a second year uni student from a well to do background. Pretty much comparing the Frankfurt school with a social media free for all. Pretentious imo. Twitter and Facebook are merely online platforms. The quality of discussion depends on who you are talking to. You can choose to dismiss the whole platform but it won't make you right. People put too much weight in it and get disappointed. Its just a virtual barstool discussion half the time. Literally anyone with an internet connection can join in. I think that's what certain elements don't like the most.

Certain elements don't like being challenged and they certainly don't like alternative narratives coming out. Narratives they can't control.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭conorhal

See how far you get referring to Ellen Page (who does not and has never existed, nor certainly played a pregnant woman) before you call it a place of legitimate debate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

The more you post on it the more it seems you don't find many like minded people on there so you dismiss the whole thing. If elliot page wants to be called such why would anyone be a dick and use Ellen? It must be like the N word or some other pointless need certain elements have to do and say what they like regardless of the insults.

Post edited by Brucie Bonus on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Irelandsnumberone

Front Page headline in the Irish Mail on Sunday

Rebels to tell Martin: 'Go or be pushed"

They want him gone in the Autumn

https://twitter.com/leeofthemail/status/1545909119676186624?t=H8GOFtnxYgM80J3QZYA6Fg&s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,024 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

This fetching picture doing the rounds on Twitter .

Hazard a guess, who's to the right of Simon 🤔 (Hint, recent resignation)

I can't "Verify" if it's been photo shopped , so to speak , so caution and bemusement required 😏

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It's an infant media source, with all that attendant carry-on and yes it is pretty useful as a channel and source of information but I don't share the glee that some indulge in about its content. It's still a sewer and should be treated as such.

Party members whingeing is as old as politics itself and it's good for them to let off steam. PPM discussions are regularly leaked in the media. It doesn't mean that it is anything more than that and it is good to talk. There's no circumstance in which this government falls in the next 12-18 months. They are hooked to each other because of what they need to do.

As for the SF side of the equation well they are now on their own to try to gather partners. The arrangements for the last two governments show that there are probably still solutions that do not involve SF as a government partner. This current one, however much backbenchers mutter about it, has the potential to be returned and offer up ministerial possibilities. The FF conundrum is what they stand for and that has nothing to do with any other party.

I'd also be wary of calling SF different to Labour. They do drift in the very same populist waters. Labour's problem and very probably SF's is that the electorate will really punish people for not delivering, especially those who set themselves up as the great hope. SF dropped 50% in the last locals and 80 seats after the high of 2014.

SM nay be Toxic, perhaps a sewer and immensely amusing at times , but why I often ask myself do politician's especially, use it , with many obsessing about it , especially FG public representatives , most notably Leo, Simon Harris (rather embarrassingly) .

I'm not on any other SM platforms apart from Twitter and even at that , not a big user. What has intrigued me of late is the absymal "Likes" posts by FFG politician's get to their posts and the extraordinary levels of negative responses they get in response and I might add from verified users.

My favourite Tweet opening line...

"I'm pleased" is used almost universally by FFG politician's only to receive a barrage of "Displeasure " in response. Why they even bother posting on Twiiter , amazes me, they actually drive alot of the Toxicity.

There was backlash against Thomas Byrne FF , Meath East yesterday who posted some nonsense about MM support and commitment re health services in his constituency, the Questions rolled in about his absence at the Navan Hospital protests yesterday, Helen Mc Entee also absent. Questions about new found concerns for example.

Whilst I have no opinion on the Navan Hospital situation, Local government politician's seem oblivious to how ridiculous they look when conveniently weighing in on a local Topic that may impact on their vote locally at the very last minute all the while ignoring what they must have been hearing on the ground. They make it even worse going on SM by making fools of themselves. It's simply beggar's belief, Government TD'S, ministers in the constituencies affected by the Navan Hospital issue , weren't aware of what was planned. I'm just using this as an example.

But often forgotten, it's actually Politician's of all persuasion or their supporter's that are infact the most Toxic people on SM, especially Twitter and dare I say , elsewhere 🤔

The fact remains, like or Loath SM , it's here to stay and many breaking News items actually appear on it before actual News organisations start reporting. Actually, I'd wager, SM actually embarrasses certain Biased News organisation to report on Topics they'd rather, not cover .

I've been following this highly respected Architect (Real , Verified Expert)

Life is a sewer if you only look at it in a certain way. SM is here to stay, and the more astute have found a beneficial way to use it while others get left behind to whinge about it.

I got very emotional on hearing of Jennifer Carroll Mc Neills constituents rising heating bills.

• Advertisement

Who says that it isn't? Yet, what you refer to as SM, has no importance in the lives of most of the population. Its benefit is to itself but that still makes it a very useful channel to engage people.

SM now stretches way beyond the snarling and ranting of the old guard and the newer stuff tends to be more niche in what it does. That's actually a good thing and a more interesting and useful future for it than the rabid incoherent echo chambers of the more traditional exponents.

How do you mean 'has no improtance in the lives of most people'?

It's as equally important now, if not moreso, than newsprint. Newsprint is actually going out of fashion due to the SM revolution.

IT IS INFUENCING politics so it has an effect on everyone whether they use it or not.

Echo chambers are to be avoided and it isn't hard to do if you use it properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭shirrup

I see on Twitter that the former CEO of NAGP has been arrested for fraud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Another

private photos of TD is about the best you lot can come up with….or of course a post from a fake news website that a lot of you didn’t even realise it describes itself as a fake news website. Embarrassing then you have people saying they are “interested in politics”

Article above, clearly explains that DCC are running the negotiations as they should yet somehow we have a few posters without the ability to read having a laugh at the housing crisis.

Be critical of the government all you want but as we see, private photos/fake news/comprehension problems is all I can see on this thread

If all else fails mention the RIC event 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Will leave you to it….I suggest you check out Waterford whispers, it’s about the level of discussion we see on here

A lot of people still don't actually use it and even where they do, not for any of this. There is a pretty specific demographic profile to SM users and the vast majority of those users are in the under 40s. My impression is that they are nearly all either Instagram or TikTok users these days!

All very curious on the day the media rehabilitation of Maitiú Ó Tuathail commenced. All very odd, the good doctor seems to be suggesting a colourful character and former best friend asked him to get the infamous documents and yet he was happy to oblige. You'd think Maitiú Ó Tuathail advisors would be recommending the less said, the better 🤔

I think there's a word to describe what he's suggesting in this whinge piece but of course I dare not mention the word.

• Advertisement

SM is having an affect on politics therefore it affects everyone. I would imagine the vast majority now get their news and political comment from one form of SM or another.

If you're a political anorak you're convinced it is, but all anoraks think that everyone else thinks like them! Most people would use news apps. The days of Facebook feeding people news are numbered. SM is just one method of communication used, there are many other ways. I'm not sure how long that might last for the big ones, in their present form, as I regularly meet people happily ditching it. Bear in mind too that an active user on SM is really just someone who is logged in.

ffs, if you aren't interested in politics them SM political content won't matter to you.

Fact is, it is a part of the political scene now and is here to stay so best just accept that and learn to use it.

• Advertisement

I have a passing interest in it , as I do for other things, but not the general handbagging nonsense that passes for commentary. SM tends to melt down very easily, often without much provocation and most people really have little to say but can do a pile on very well. One can appreciate a reflective thought out post/thread even if you don't agree with it at all. Trying to trend for a few hours is juvenile numpty stuff.

Not hard to recognise it and avoid. I have an unbiased cross section of politicians and pundits on my feed and it is an adequate replacement for the selection of newsprint I used to buy.

If you take the time you'll see most good users/contributors have the same attitude, follow as wide a cross section as you can.

Even RTE are talking about this FF private back benchers meeting

https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2022/0710/1309405-ff-meeting-analysis/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,456 ✭✭✭jmcc

Things are not calm in FF. Analysis of that meeting has even appeared on RTE's website ( https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2022/0710/1309405-ff-meeting-analysis/ ) and it is not exactly favourable to Martin.

Regards...jmcc

Those who think that the MONC is a gimmie for the government must not be reading/hearing reports of Martin engaging in transactional politics with Independents.

I reckon MM has long since made his mind up, just seeing out his term as Taoiseach, probably had foolishly thought it would be a quite few remaining months, he's either blinded by his own virtue signalling or just oblivious as to whats going on in the country, maybe a combination of both. He's been shamelessly working the international room in advance of his next career steps.

This is more than about him, FF Bank bencher can see prolonging this farcical coalition, the problem is, Damned if they do nothing, Damned if they move against MM, they are banjacked either way.

I'd have thought they'd wait until after budget but even that's in doubt at this stage, A Cluster***K of a situation and they along with FG are entirely to blame, the greens just sleepwalking as per usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I've been saying for a while if his intention is to step down before the next election, he needs to come clean about that round the time of the handover, ideally a bit before. Because if he is still insisting he carries on after the transition to tanaiste, his enemies in the party will conclude that he means what he says and will likely move against him sooner rather than later.

The FFers seem to want him gone. The FF Ard Fheis is in September as well as the budget. Not voting for the budget is some serious leverage for these FFers but with their snouts deep in the trough, they wouldn't risk a GE, would they? No wonder the Independent TDs are being lobbied. Even Labour said it would vote against the government in the MNOC.

Regards...jmcc

FFG Hiding from the week in politics, Pippa Hackett (G) sent out to bat 🙄

Seemingly the 2 suspended Green TD'S yet to be contacted about how they intend to vote in the MONC 🙄

• Advertisement

They don't really know they want and haven't since they became public enemy number 1 after 2008 and they've drifted quite badly. Martin was about the only one who would go forward and the options otherwise for leader aren't great. Common sense clearly shows that an election now would work out worse for them. As others have said, seeing out the full term to 2025 if they can is the best option to possibly claim credit for an improvement in housing

Isn't getting property built what we want to see? The rental is a messed up sector with supply issues as well. Those companies will have to be compliant here regardless of the suspicions about them. Their setup says a lot more about the governing authorities in those other jurisdictions. What does the article say apart from this? Are they operating illegally?

What good are properties at rent levels far too expensive for the people who need them, and as a result sit empty just so they can keep the prices up.

Eventually, the theory goes, we'll have enough and the market will settle down at a lower level. I'm not sure where that level is but hopefully it should be below where we are now. If companies are strategically leaving them vacant one would like to see a vacant tax applied to it!

Imagine that ex-FG sheister Lowry will probably get a favour for his vote on Tuesday. New Politics is alive and well.

They were on track to be the largest party in the last GE until Martin made a complete balls of things by wanting to be the best little FGer ever with his siding with Charlie Flanagan over the Black and Tans/RIC commemoration. You can see FG's support from December 2019 to January 2020 almost dropping off a cliff and it was also doing quite well in the polls in December 2019. The Housing and Health issues also damaged FF and FG but FF suffered most because of Martin and his supporters identification with FG rather than with FF core values. What's after happening now is that FF is fracturing into a pro-FG clique (the FFers with ministerial positions) and the FF backbenchers. The C&S agreement in 2016 basically sold FF's soul to FG for no ministerial positions or perks.

Regards...jmcc

Well done Greens. Postpone the tough decisions until after the holidays...

FFG are great for green headlines but fail utterly when the details are requested.

Plan on reduction of greenhouse gas emissions delayed (rte.ie)

A plan to apply stringent greenhouse gas emission reduction targets on different parts of the economy will not go to Cabinet next week, as had been planned.

Instead, Environment Minister Eamon Ryan will continue to engage with his Cabinet colleagues on how that burden should be shared - with agricultural emissions the most controversial issue.

Under the Government's Climate Action Plan. which was published last year, the agriculture sector was told it would be obliged to reduce its emissions by between 22 and 30%.

Another nonsense plan.

Louth GAA need more funding to raise funds for their new GAA stadium they are building so Peter Fitzpatrick Louth Chairmans vote will be easily got

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

And as has proven over and over the theory is bullplop.

Advertisement