Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FF/FG/Green Government - Part 3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The definition of real news here seem to be what you call real news. Stories have a news cycle, in most cases barely one. All you've done is produce a long list of stories that have currently passed out of that cycle because there is no absolutely new information on them. Stories that have not been updated tend not to be of interest to the public.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

I think you will find that when a certain group keep rehashing the same story online they think it is still relevant.

Like the RIC parade which of course gets mentioned here every few days, I am sure they would love if Morning Ireland had a huge sector ever morning just to discuss what happened in 2019 and the result of the government listening to the people and pulling the event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,024 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Real News is current news much of which RTE seem to ignore.

Were onto breeding Cranes now (not the Building one's, Heavens above)

Story of interest of course but surely a piece on their website would suffice.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Marian Harkin not voting confidence. Cathal Berry dithering but of course will vote confidence. The usual predictable Brigade of alledged independents will of course vote confidence. All very predictable and result a certainty but of course that's not really the point, it was never going to pass but it will give some insights which the electorate can utilise next GE. TD'S of all persuasion in for an ear bashing if they can pull themselves away from vacationing over the next two months.

I still think there's so much uncertainty within FF and possibly Greens about continuing this charade and Leo's next stint as Taoiseach not at all assured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,400 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

The question I asked was which trip was more useful. You seem to think that a freebie junket to Australia for hobnobbing at a pointless 2k a plate dinner is more important than showing solidarity with Ukraine, but hey, whatever.

Hmmmm, rehashing old news ......

Let's just recap shall we .

This week’s vote of no confidence will be dominated by delivery failures, housing, health,cost of living but time should really be devoted to the sleaze and entitlement of this govt. A reminder of their recent past ...

Katherine Zappone makey-uppy critical appointment for a role that’s still vacant.

Attorney General publishes his advice on Leo’s attendance at Zappone’s party.

Attorney General advising on residential rent freezes while being a landlord himself

Leo Varadkar covertly giving a confidential govt document to his friend at a rival union which was threatening to stand candidates against FG in local elections, Sean Fleming justifying the leak because it aided transparency. This story still has legs...

Eight veteran govt politicians taking all-expenses jollies to the races paid for by the gambling lobby, knowing they wouldn’t have to declare it because it was worth €650 and branding the source of the Irish Daily Mail expose a “snitch”.

Cash-for-visas scheme and alledged payments of commissions to agents.

Secret deal to release scion of FG royalty Richard O’Halloran from China with govt underwriting recovery of assets, Alledgedly.

Leaking of Mother and Baby Home report, not reporting the leak to Gardai, Micheal Martin not “getting to the bottom of it” after 18 months.

Solo-run by Foreign Affairs minister Simon Coveney to spend €120m buying from his schooldays friend the right to host a yachting regatta - now abandoned.

Appointment of AG and FG activist Seamus Woulfe to the bench of the Supreme Court without reference to party leaders.

Helen McEntee receiving "Forgetful" donations from Tayto whose business she lobbied to protect from Covid restrictions – donations since returned.

#Golfgate and a judge who didn’t realise there was a group of 36 people 8 ft behind him through an opened partition.

Retaining #Golfgate and ex-FG senator Imelda Henry as an inspector of prisons, a record 70 special advisers costing us €35m in a Dail term with around 25 recruited from media.

Keeping the FAI board vacancy open until Shane Ross left govt and he couldn’t continue to object to (Admittedly, last government, but, but , but , but .....

Robert Watt appointment on conflict of interest grounds, Robert Watt and his 40% salary increase from €200,000 to €280,000.

Running party lotteries without a licence, abandoning a lottery after a court challenge, forcing through last minute changes to proposed legislation to allow super-lotteries. Good man Darragh, you are useful at something at least, Strokes.

Just a tiny snap shot of "Old Stories' I could spend the day reviewing the Shenanigans of this & previous Government. And MM going to stand up in the Dail tomorrow, with a straight face and list off his governments achievements 🙄

I'll have the pop corn at the ready ...

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭shirrup

Undeliverable really, at least you have the courage and integrity to acknowledge the housing crisis, and as an added bonus, even admitted that it's worsening.

2011 >>> 2022 under FFG.

Senior Hurling.

Not at all sure how you come to that conclusion, I simply pointed out (yet again) facts which you repeatedly deny around the €2k dinner .

And I reiterate, glady, MM trip to Kyiv was nothing more than Virtue signalling, utterly pointless, Costly and achieved ZERO. And rightly recieved, little attention.

The spin has begun around the commission on Defence. Coveney will announce an increase in spending up to 1.5 bn by 2028. You read that right. The decision by the recently departed from the whip to back the govt means Cathal Berry can tread water if he chooses to.

So there will be probably an extra 100m in Defence in 2023 and if govt lasts they will line up another 100m in 2024. And if they lose election they hand a serious problem to SF.

Its clever politics but playing politics with the defence of the country is about as bad as it gets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,456 ✭✭✭jmcc

Seems to be a few negative stories about the Greens recently. The Indo (a bit of an FG party paper) has a story about Eamon Ryan and Catherine Martin flying business class despite these seats having three times greater carbon footprint than economy class seats. It is laughably a "premium" article.

Regard...jmcc

Post edited by jmcc on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Inflation around the world is running at 40 years high, and the war in Ukraine is one of the core reasons for this.

Now, surely you are not saying that geopolitical issues should have no influence on Ireland, because that would be a very foolish thing to say.

...and what would happen if someone else was in charge?

Inflation to magically drop from its current rate to <2%?

ROFL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,128 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Jaysis, nobody was saying that Mark. There are criticisms that can be made of government over and above what world events are causing.

Firing out the Putin shite just because you cannot take criticism is juvenile reactionary rubbish. Trite and meaningless because it is always done to deflect.

Not sure what you are on about.

You seem to have a habit of spending the day and posting an hourly update on 'what was said on this radio program' day in and day out.

If one wants to engage or consume that type of content then perhaps they are better off on Twitter or listening to RTE Radio 1 all day. It seems you want to make this thread a minute-by-minute take on the news cycle.

Again, no analysis, no critical thinking, no foresight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

First off, the article is not behind a paywall for me, so not sure what settings you have on your browser, maybe try opening it in a private tab.

I don't think I am incorrect in that they did absolutely nothing. They spoke a lot, but on the grand scheme of things, it was getting worse much faster than anything that they were claiming to do was fixing it. They did nothing. As for the 'adult conversations', - I'll ignore that coming from yourself.

So you think it is worse to try fix the problem than the opposition parties which are trying to make the problem worse?

Have you worked out the issue yet?

The opposition parties are not 'trying to make things worse', it is simply laughable that thungs have got this bad and now FFG are scrambling around saying that now they can fix it. People have had enough, and no longer believe them. Why would they? After all, as mentioned, it was they that caused it.

The government is in place since 2020

That may be, but it is no reason to ignore or forget the condition that the two main parties in government left the housing crisis before 'this' government took over, particularly Fine Gael, as they have been in power since 2011, and that entire time the problem has got worse under them, all of a sudden they now claim to know how to fix it with (possibly less) than 2½ left.

If they can, fair play to them, but I for one have zero faith in them. They caused it, have been unable fix it given much longer time, I don't believe they deserve any more chances, passing out highly paid positions to underqualified buddies for the payout and the advantage of having 'one of theirs' in a position, rather than looking for the solution. I, and so many others, are sick to the teeth of them.

EDITED - The discussion seems to have moved on, but I didn't notice as I was replying, but leaving this here anyway,

• Advertisement

Well, its a good thing for most here, because before the war in Ukraine most here would have preferred we spent next to nothing on defence.

Again though, since you admit that the opposition cannot change inflation, what's the beef?

Even you Marko must admit numerous crisis in Ireland not only started long before the Ukranian crisis but are infact not even impacted at what's going on in Ukraine, albeit the government's virtue signalling nonsense and seemingly indestructible magic Money tree keeps a flowing but not it would seem to address crisis nearer to home.

I didn't say anything of the kind, lying about a post again.

I said 'the government can be criticised above and beyond what world events are causing'.

Try reading what is actually written instead of what you want to read.

Indeed and your last line is precisely what I was referring to when it comes to our National broadcaster 😏

• Advertisement

So you want to critique them for

a) Something beyond their control

b) Something the opposition, if in power cannot change

Consistent as always Francie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

How have your thoughts on defence spending changed since the 2nd invasion of Ukraine? Who do you think will invade Ireland in the next 100 years?? And for what reason. I'd much rather see the government spend on the long standing health/rental/housing/climate crisis than token defence. Fix what they broke first.

By the way, get off Sky News.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Another bizzare makey uppy response, what exactly your referring to is a mystery.

The effects of inflation can be mitigated mark. And like it or not the government are responsible for that and can be criticised or praised. Pulling the Putin shite is an attempt to deflect from that.

Indeed, we can leave that shyte to Pippa Hackett.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...again, the government can actually implement polices, to limit these negative effects, but they keep defaulting to their fundamental beliefs and ideologies in doing so, these will never work, but will only exasperate our most critical problems, as this is exactly whats occurring....

Bad enough to see it as a deflection tactic here never mind seeing it creeping into government rethoric.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

two rouge Green TD'S

well Neasa's a redhead, not sure about Costello...

This has been done to death in the NATO thread.

What is clear is those who don't care about the defence of Ireland still don't but will still pick up the stick as a way to beat the government with.

Complain about Refugees - Check!

Complain the government spends too much money - check

Wants the government to do more, i.e. spend more money - check

• Advertisement

How can they be mitigated against Francie? Go on tell us your solution.

The current government parties decimated defence spending Mark...nobody else. It's a stick they cut from the tree themselves

You supported that 'decimation' Francie. You are on record about that.

Indeed but in fairness they are desperate 😏

What the hell are you on about?? The defence forces should focus on the culture of mysogeny first and foremost.

Nice try Marko , complaining about refugees is it, complaining about this Government policy , Not refugees but I suppose your one of those who thinks the Blatant hypocrisy, Virtue Signalling, inequality and bottomless pit of money is all perfectly fine are you 🤔

And also quite content with how their policy, with no infrastructure, no accommodation, existing crisis on services and cost of living crisis are you , all going swimmingly is it 🤔 😳

Although misrepresenting again it is You who are objecting to the government being criticised for it while now accepting that they did it.

Meanwhile breaking News and a bit of lunch time cheekiness

• Advertisement

Wait a minute. How can you tell that the opposition is not making things worse?

My understanding is that Sinn Fein and other opposition politicians are objecting to nearly every single large housing project, while newspaper reports indicate that they are telling developers that nothing will change when they get into government. That is certainly making things worse.

I think we will be waiting a long time before we get constructive responses to these questions. The only thing likely is some fairytale loaves and fishes while taxing unicorns and rainbows.

Yeah right, complaints about government policy that allows refugees in and looks after Ukrainians is NOT complaining about refugees and NOT supporting Putin. Yeah right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

its actually a process of stop enacting polices that are doing great harm, and enacting others that will directly help, for example stop defaulting to pushing more money into our economy, that are simply pushing up property prices....

its was clearly obvious what was unfolding at the beginning of the year, covid supports such as pup and ewss should have never been removed, they were keeping the economy afloat, now its starting to slowly collapse, i.e. reenact these polices, and quickly.....

stop talking about crediting electricity accounts, and start fcuking doing it, right now, and keep doing it, until our global status settles, we can all see whats going to occur in the coming months, as energy demands increase....

again, stop talking about providing 'bonuses' to covid workers, and just fcuking give them what they simply deserve, right now! they need it, right now!

stop defaulting to the normal thought process, of trying to deal with our future energy needs, i.e. fossil fuels, this is why we re experiencing what we re experiencing, i.e. a rapid rise in our energy costs, and subsequent inflation, we have potential alternatives, i.e. off shore wind etc, i.e. just fcuking do it, right now!

i could go on and on and on.....

That old chestnut only opposition opposing developments when you know full well Councillors of all persuasion and government departments actually objecting to certain developments.

• Advertisement

There are numerous ways they can be mitigated. That's what Pippa was being told when she pulled the Putin rant.

Now your being Ludicrous, we're have I once showed even the slightest inkling of support for that Thug Putin , my views on Government policies regarding Ukrainian refugees is no secret as is my disgust on how other refugees are being treated and indeed our own citizens in emergency accommodation.

You ludicrously tried to drag the €2k dinner into the thread dealing with this matter, this is my last word on that crisis here , there's a Thread dedicated to it and NO, I do not apportion any blame on Ukrainian refugees, the mess here is entirely of this government's doing.

Are they planning on bringing this in just through statutory instrument and not a proper bill? Very interested to see how they word this and make the platforms liable. Feel sorry for those who have booked airbnbs that don't have planning permission, I would not want to be searching for a hotel for a large group at short notice

Wonder how airbnb will enforce this, surely you would need every registered property to provide proof that it is a principal residence and/or has the requisite planning permission before 1st september, it seems like a fairly big task https://www.thejournal.ie/housing-crisis-short-term-lets-controls-5813533-Jul2022/

I found this article interesting.

Cabinet agrees stricter controls on short-term lets (rte.ie)

Cabinet agrees stricter controls on online platforms advertising short-term lets.

The Government has approved moves to strengthen regulatory controls on the short-term letting of property.

These controls will apply to non-principal private residences in rent pressure zones and are due to come into effect in September.

The amendment, if enacted, will mean that from 1 September online platforms will not be able to advertise properties in rent pressure zones which do not have the required planning permission.

Currently, a person must apply to their local authority for planning permission to change the use of a property so that it can be used for short-term letting.

The CEO of housing advice organisation Threshold said that the change to short-term lettings is welcome but similar legislation already in place did not work.

--------------------

So the legislation to force property owners to get planning permission for short term lets was already in place but the landlords ignored it. Now the government are pushing the responsibility to the online platforms. Why couldn't the government ensure the original legislation was enforced?? The mind boggles. Its the same as the vacant site tax - the councils didn't collect it...The solutions to the housing disaster is just talk.

• Advertisement
Advertisement