Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FF/FG/Green Government - Part 3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

none of the political parties, in government or opposition seem to agree with you. 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Irelandsnumberone

So you have no answer to how Ireland can continue to take in an unlimited amount of people without accommodation being available to them.

How many Ukranians have you straying with you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,033 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

So that's your response to facts 🤔 if your referring solely to virtue signalling you are correct.

However I'm referring to your strange notion Ireland isn't full , actually by a long shot you said.

I'm dealing with facts with regards to the lack of accommodation, Housing Generally and I'm afraid every opposition party agrees and indeed so to many within government as much as it pains them to do so , not even they can avoid the patently obvious.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Facts? Nope 👍

If a certain party turned around tomorrow and said we should take in another 100k we would have the same “facts” spun another way.

Delicious 🤤

I never claimed to take in anyone, have you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,974 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I'm sure that angelic poster hasn't been 'straying' with anyone, let alone vulnerable refugees...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,968 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

It's the same rhetoric being used by the GOP with the exact same pearl clutching about how to go about it.

Is there any party that backs up your "STOP" viewpoint? (or maybe you feel there is, but they won't say it publicly, even the tories didn't go that far).

I'd anticipated denial so laid out the facts anyway and they remain until refuted.

Riddle me this How many Housing strategies have this and previous Government announced since 2014 , I'll give you a Hint, it's slightly more than 22 , I only mention previous government because you know who was in Power & still is

Take your time.

Why would i take a family from a different country into my house.

I cant afford it for a start

Now you're being silly , GOP ,what in the world have they got to do with the FFG Thread .Again your trying to equate my perfectly reasonable call for pause, reflection because of a clearly dire over all accommodation crisis in Ireland with anti migration, please STOP 🛑 that nonsense

O Dear, in other news, apologies its a paywall article but I've a subscription (why I don't know but under review)

Seems Darragh O Brien requested Paul Hydes phone to be Cut off and access to files by him restricted 🤔 obviously a sensible decision given the little we actually know about the shenanigans at APB thanks to The Ditch, all very unseemly.

Fianna Fail TD Padraig O Sullivan now focusing on the current chairman, as I humbly, predicted & was criticised for focusing on a Non Story , this will get quite Ugly & expensive.

• Advertisement

"Again your trying to equate my perfectly reasonable call for pause"

It's a war, if you can get the war to stop I am sure everyone would be more than happy to pause. 👌

Again your dragging a topic you want to bring into the thread which I've referred to very, very , very briefly in the over all context of the ENTIRE, housing & Accommodation crisis, you can try & Try & Try deflect, I'm not biting .

But back to my question , re how many Housung strategies since 2014 , I've given a hint slightly more than 22 , let me help again , it's not more than 24

Take your time .

5 years ago today. How many more plans will we get?

No plans for Ukranians or refugees. They might just not bother with another plan for housing crisis now housing for all has failed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,968 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I'm equating it with nonsense rhetoric that has no bearing on the real world that no, elect-able in Ireland, political party would be pursuing, which is why I made my comment about it being an extreme view, if you want to back away from it as hyperbolae, fine, but no one reasonable will be pursuing that policy, hence it's a weird stick to beat the government with, unless you're an extremist (and maybe that makes you feel uncomfortable to defend).

A crisis is occurring!

"Pause everyone"

Said no one ever.

And again, it's not like the pause would do anything but the anti-immigration crowd crowing for a bit, while Ireland becomes an international pariah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

The direct provision system in Ireland has been criticised time and again for human rights abuses.

I can send you a load of links but here are a few

End Direct Provision - Amnesty International Ireland

For more than 21 years, Ireland’s Direct Provision system has been a human rights scandal. Direct Provision has failed utterly to fulfil Ireland’s human rights obligations to people seeking protection here. Instead, it has been 21 years of people being hurt and marginalised, and 21 years of lives put on hold.

We are at a critical moment. The current Government’s commitments to finally end Direct Provision are welcome. But we still have a long way to go to ensure it delivers on these commitments. Direct Provision has to be fully and finally ended, and the proposed alternative must protect people’s human rights.

The real test will be how these commitments are implemented, and how people within the system until then have their rights upheld. Direct Provision has continued through more than 21 years of successive governments and, until it ends, thousands of people will remain in a system the Government has admitted is not fit for purpose.

Direct Provision was established in 2000 and is Ireland’s system of state provided accommodation and other basic necessities to people seeking international protection. DP centres are mainly hostels, hotels and other accommodation owned and run by private companies for profit, paid for by the Government.

DP was designed as a short-term emergency measure. Instead it has lasted more than 21 years. People were meant to spend no longer than six months while their asylum application was processed. Instead, they are trapped in limbo, often for years. Many are in overcrowded conditions, sharing bedrooms and bathrooms with strangers, lacking dignity and privacy.

The living conditions, institutionalised regime and lack of appropriate support services are unacceptable for anyone, especially for such long periods of time. It is particularly harsh for families, children, people who have experienced trauma, sexual violence or torture, and other vulnerable people.

DP centres are often in isolated locations far from local communities. The isolation and hopelessness can damage physical and mental health and hinders people’s ability to restart their lives once recognised as refugees. For torture survivors, it can severely compromise their rehabilitation.

Direct Provision - Doras

Key Issues

• Length of time: The average length of stay in Direct Provision is 24 months, with some residents having spent up to 10 or 12 years living in these conditions.
    • Profit: The majority of Direct Provision centres are managed by private contractors on a for-profit basis, on behalf of the State.
    • Employment: Until February 2018, asylum seekers had no right to work in Ireland – unlike most EU member states. Restrictions still apply and the majority of people who live in Direct Provision centres have no right to access employment.
    • Education: Limited access to further & higher education.
    • Isolated locations: Some centres are located in rural areas, with limited transport options and support services.
    • Privacy & overcrowded living conditions: Residents live in shared accommodation, with single adults sharing rooms with up to eight people of different backgrounds and nationalities.
    • Food: Three meals are provided at set times each day; limited cooking facilities are available in a small number of centres. Complaints have been made regarding lack of variety and lack of nutritional options in the centres.
    • Standards & monitoring: The living conditions vary widely from centre to centre. There is little trust in the IPAS complaints procedure & limited publicly accessible information on complaints or transfer decisions. The existing inspection system focusses on health & safety issues and does not consider the social or emotional needs of residents.
    • Health: Physical and mental health issues among residents are very common. Asylum seekers are 5 times more likely to experience mental health issues and psychiatric conditions.
    • Children: c.30% of Direct Provision residents are children. Children have been born and raised living in these conditions, the long-term developmental effects of which are still unknown.

New group to ensure commitment to end Direct Provision (rte.ie)

A group organisations have joined together to ensure that the Government fulfils its commitment to ending Direct Provision.

The coalition named STAD (Standing Against Direct Provision) includes Nasc, Amnesty International Ireland, Crosscare Refugee Project, Cultúr, Doras, Immigrant Council of Ireland, Irish Refugee Council and MASI (Movement of Asylum Seekers in Ireland.

STAD aims to ensure the Government replaces Direct Provision with alternative systems of accommodation that are compliant with human rights standards by 2024.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

No your equating what you want to equate and making up observations on my post you clearly and possibly deliberately misunderstood. I'm focused on a accommodation & housing crisis, you clearly want to focus on immigration policy , off you go but don't assume I'm anti anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

• Advertisement

How many houses blocked and projects slowed down since 2014?

How many county councils like DCC from 2014-2019 made sure the minimum amount of housing was built?

When you have a campaign by a political party to stop all housing at any cost during a period when you can’t afford to stop the building of one house you will struggle, still since the issues for two years with covid the numbers of houses is going in the right direction 👍

If the public done he responsible thing and made sure that the party they support does not block any houses/apartment for the next 3 years we would be in a lot better place…are you willing to help resolve the housing crisis?

🤷‍♂️

Them bloody Shinners again

Catherine Fitzgerald – Fianna Fail councillor.

Catherine Fitzgerald opposed plans to build a social housing estate close to her home on Abbeyleix Road in Portlaoise. According to Fitzgerald, placing apartments in the area wasn’t “proper planning”.

Colm Brophy – Fine Gael TD.

In 2019, Fine Gael TD Colm Brophy objected to a major housing development in Knocklyon, Dublin. According

2020, former Labour leader Joan Burton objected to a plan to build 192 apartments in Castleknock.

John Lahart – Fianna Fail TD.

In September of 2021, Fianna Fail TD John Lahart threw his support behind residents’ objections to a plan to build 140 houses and 189 apartments in Woodstown, Dublin.

Leo Varadkar – Fine Gael TD.

Fine Gael leader Leo Varadkar objected to an apartment block in his constituency in Dublin Mid-West on the grounds that it was “grossly insensitive to local feelings”. He also stated that the scheme would cause traffic and negatively impact house prices in the area.

Mary Lou McDonald – Sinn Fein TD.

In August, 2021, Sinn Fein leader Mary Lou McDonald objected to a plan to build 1,614 apartments in her constituency. Ms. McDonald stated that she opposed the development on the basis that it was a “build to rent” scheme.

Neasa Hourigan – Green Party TD.

Deputy Hourigan opposed 50 apartments in Drumcondra due to what she perceived as an over-concentration of build-to-let properties in Dublin City Centre.

Fianna Fáil Senator Mary Fitzpatrick also registered her concerns about the development

of

Francis Noel Duffy – Green Party TD.

In September of 2021, Green Party TD Francis Noel Duffy threw his support behind residents’ objections to 140 houses and 189 apartments in Woodstown, Dublin.

Gary Gannon – Social Democrats TD.

TD Gary Gannon opposed an apartment development in his constituency because he felt that it was “excessive” and that it would have a harmful effect on the architectural make-up of Glasnevin.

Ivana Bacik – Labour TD.

Labour TD Ivana Bacik backed local opposition to plans to build 671 apartments and duplex units in Milltown Park in Ranelagh. In her submission to An Bord Pleanála, Bacik stated that the development would have a harmful effect on the quality of life of residents. She also expressed her concerns about the dominance of “build to rent” schemes in Ireland.

Jim O’Callaghan – Fianna Fail TD.

Fianna Fail TD Jim O’Callaghan also supported local opposition to a proposed apartment development in Ranelagh. In his submission to An Bord Pleanála, O’Callaghan argued that the scheme was “excessive

I suggest you read my post, are you willing to help resolve the housing crisis?

Again, avoiding my Question, I'll repeat again, how many housing strategies have this and the previous government (both included FG) introduced / presented since 2014.

As your struggling, despite my two generous hints, the magic number is 23, surely a world record for any government, World wide and certainly a damning record.

So that’s a no for helping in the housing crisis is it?

P.S. If you ask a question and then answer it yourself it’s not really a question is it? 🤣🤣🤣🤣

You gone off on another tangent so not sure what your discussing now, its Amazing, every day the same routine, its like a repetitive circus act & you end up laughing at yourself, A well, can't say I tried to actually discuss an actual topic with you, silly me I guess.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

We can't afford to keep paying for leases and rentals. The money will run out.

Its not just SF. All the opposition and sometimes even FG and the Greens block not fit for purpose builds. Stop repeating the same made up stuff, its nauseating. Have FF/FG fixed housing in DCC area or made it worse? You won't answer will you? Third time I've asked you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,764 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Thats so unfair but deliciously kind of you to share those Pesky facts 😉

If you read my posts it is extremely clear and concise. You brought up Ukraine, I responded and you didn’t like that

You brought up housing and I asked if you are willing to help stop political parties from blocking housing, it seems you don’t like that

So are you willing to help solve the housing crisis?

Did I say it was just a certain party? To do a @Dempo1 on it and answer my own question, No I didn’t.

So are you willing to help solve the housing crisis?

• Advertisement

FFS, you wrote this a few minutes ago.

When you have a campaign by a political party to stop all housing at any cost during a period when you can’t afford to stop the building of one house you will struggle, still since the issues for two years with covid the numbers of houses is going in the right direction 👍

If the public done he responsible thing and made sure that the party they support does not block any houses/apartment for the next 3 years we would be in a lot better place…are you willing to help resolve the housing crisis?

You even quoted the section. Next time read the post

"When you have a campaign by a political party to stop all housing at any cost during a period when you can’t afford to stop the building of one house you will struggle, still since the issues for two years with covid the numbers of houses is going in the right direction 👍

🤷‍♂️"

I shared the link with the poster earlier on this thread to prove to them all parties had blocked houses.

Not much of a "burn" is it then? \

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Delicious

So what 'political party' is blocking 'all housing' BA. (I did read all of the post)

Why are you pulling out words from a post? If you want to discuss the post the quote the entire thing

Are you willing to help solve the housing crisis?

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭shirrup

What is this absolute nonsense from Leo Varadkar?

He is rightfully being mocked and jeered for his double standards.

I and plenty more are willing to not vote FF and FG to start the process of solving the housing crisis. Can do **** all until then

What you planning on doing?

There you go - QED.

An outright lie from you. No political party is blocking 'all housing'.

If you and the parties you support stopped the agenda driven lies and realistically looked at the issues we might get somewhere.

Don't care how you vote for, the housing crisis is affecting the people of Ireland. 👍️

• Advertisement

What are you planning on doing to solve the housing crisis?

Ive told you il be voting a change if Govt as i think thats the best way to start

More from the FFG housing disaster

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail.

Students 'at breaking point' amid accommodation crisis (rte.ie)

Students 'at breaking point' amid accommodation crisis

Wherever you look - horror stories abound.

Hostels. Hotels. Sleeping in cars. Accommodation cancelled at the 11th hour. Mad money. Long commutes. Lost college places.

While the student accommodation scramble is always pertinent at this time of year, many student leaders and university heads are already reporting the 2022 version to be far worse than anything they've encountered before.

On-campus beds are fully booked out at some institutions, while private rented accommodation has evaporated in many areas since the onset of the pandemic. 3,000 Ukrainian refugees are currently in the process of leaving student apartments to free them for the new academic year – adding further pressure on the demand for beds.

A social media image this week of lengthy queues of people waiting to view a rental property in the environs of DCU underlined the starkness of the situation.

And with college places for first years now not offered until September, the picture may get worse before it gets better.

You need an election to vote...

So you want to do nothing, stand by and watch parties block housing for the next 3 years, putting people out on the streets?

Maybe take ownership of what you post?

Slipping and sliding around with this nosense you lie about is tiresome.

You were asked which political party had blocked 'all housing' (YOUR words).

You anmswered and are now trying to winkle out again. A disgrace to genuine debate.

I caught a little bit of the Joe Duffy show during the week. He asked a few Irish nurses in Australia to come on the show. They had all worked in Ireland for a few years before going to Australia.

He was asking them whether they would return to Ireland but they said they couldn't until the health system was 'fixed'. When asked what the main problems were, they said they felt Irish hospitals were dangerous for patients due to insufficient nursing staff numbers (again rubbishing Blanch's superior ratio nonsense) and other factors. They also said accommodation costs were a major drawback.

Post edited by Cluedo Monopoly on

Again, no idea what your Talking about, impossible to navigate a discussion with you, every time you deflect, divert & dilly dally around numerous tangents making it near impossible to engage with. I could start a conversation about Jelly & Ice Cream and by the time your finished, you'd be onto Monks holding a SF conference in a Tibetin Monastery, it's exhausting I'll leave it to someone else to comprehend, thanks anyway.

So that's a no then!

Pulling words out of a post, never seen that sort of carry on before!!! is that what you call "debating"?

Will leave you to it so

I'm not going to link Dr Harolds latest tweet or the Hillarious Joe Duffy parody account tweet, just brilliant, worth a peek, so to speak 😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,542 ✭✭✭✭road_high

FG really would sicken your arse. On que at the sign of major trouble ahead for them they’re off with the “look after the workers” crap again. They had over ten years to do this. They didn’t, rather the opposite from where my pay packet stands. There’s a ream of massive deductions on the right column every month. Any bit extra I might make through a bonus or that they savage it before I see a cent.

I guarantee the do gooders will get their way as always on welfare increases. The likes of me will be left to be rode senseless

• Advertisement

I quoted all your post and I asked you a specific question about it. You were caught out again BA.

Nobody's fault but your own.

Advertisement